News & Experiences continued

once_upon

New condo owner
I think places like Great Clips, the stylists are their employees. Not certain.

We went to the grocery store to pick up fresh flowers to put on graves. This store is one that wearing masks is mandatory. I saw the cart retriever not wearing one. The gal at the flower register had hers pulled down from her nose, she did adjust it to cover her nose when she came to check us out.

once_upon

New condo owner
The worldometer is reporting 99,200 C-19 deaths in the US. I suspect that 100,000 mark will be reached by midnight.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Here's a whole bunch of charts and maps compiled by a whole bunch of people, many of whom have PhDs attached to their names.

I like it because it puts New York in the green (along with New Mexico). Take that all you states in orange and red.

Meanwhile, over in Arkansas (red on the map), a high school swim party has resulted in a number of positives.

(CNN)Several people who attended a high school swim party in Arkansas have contracted *********-19, Gov. Asa Hutchinson told reporters on Saturday.

"A high school swim party that I'm sure everybody thought was harmless. They're young, they're swimming, they're just having activity and positive cases resulted from that," Hutchinson said.

Personally, nothing is going to beat the murder hornets. But aggressive rodents are certainly a close second.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is warning that certain areas across the country are reporting "an increase in rodent activity," as rats search for sources of food other than restaurant dumpsters...

As a result, rats are scampering elsewhere -- including residential areas. Given the circumstances, they may even exhibit "unusual or aggressive" behavior, the CDC said.

Susan1

I think places like Great Clips, the stylists are their employees. Not certain.

We went to the grocery store to pick up fresh flowers to put on graves. This store is one that wearing masks is mandatory. I saw the cart retriever not wearing one. The gal at the flower register had hers pulled down from her nose, she did adjust it to cover her nose when she came to check us out.
People are getting sloppy. When I went to get milk yesterday, the guy was just bringing in the short carts and just left them there and went out to get more carts. Every time I have been to Kroger someone was standing there with a cloth and spray wiping down the cart handles as they come in or wiping them before someone takes one. I had my own wipe, but when I came back out, all of the short carts were gone and nobody was standing by the stand (ha) with the cloths and spray bottle.

Debbie S

I believe in my state, anyway, that those "unable to work due to _______" were eligible for UI, and that included people who were sick and/or quarantining. But yes, as Claire said, in my state and others, UI is a total cluster right now and even those whose claims have been processed and got their debit cards are not getting money deposited.

But it's about humanity - if you are sick with symptoms of YKW, you should be staying home. And really, after all this publicity, I doubt they'll still be employed by that salon after they recover.

Dobre

@once_upon it was the same place as the other stylist. Both stylists had symptoms and yet they went to work anyway. SMH.
:yikes:Talk about a way to get your business cited by the safety commission. I think that is more exposure from one hair salon than the food plant that received a citation here. And possibly the nursing home also.

Me too. If they don’t have health insurance and no savings, what do we expect folks to do?
They deserve to have the health insurance. The fact that the national health care program was not expanded makes me:angryfire. Though shouldn't the Care's Act cover people who have the *****?

People also need to think about longterm employment prospects. One won't have employment at all if your business goes out of business because customers believe if is unsafe.

The not-working-with-symptoms thing does worry me personally because the symptom list is so long and full of so many common things. Once I come down with something (flu, sore throat, whatever), it usually turns into a cold & I sometimes don't shake the cough or runny nose for ages. But now that there are more tests, hopefully one can get a couple negative tests and return to work despite the latter? Also, people with allergies already have the symptoms that go with allergies. So is everyone with them supposed to go in for tests before returning to work?

I would personally because I've needed tissues since mid-February, and just a. I think it would be ethically sound to make sure I'm not currently a carrier before starting work and b. I would want the medical confirmation that my symptoms were not representative of the *****. In case I were to acquire the ***** at work and might then have people asking if I were the one to bring the ***** into the workplace. (Which could still happen if I were to acquire it at the grocery store or by touching an object; but the odds would be exponentially higher that I would get it from someone at work considering the nature of my work and the # of people involved in it. If I go back into work, I think I would have to self-isolate from family).

once_upon

New condo owner
People are getting sloppy. When I went to get milk yesterday, the guy was just bringing in the short carts and just left them there and went out to get more carts. Every time I have been to Kroger someone was standing there with a cloth and spray wiping down the cart handles as they come in or wiping them before someone takes one. I had my own wipe, but when I came back out, all of the short carts were gone and nobody was standing by the stand (ha) with the cloths and spray bottle.
There was the cart retriever bringing them in from parking lots and a cart cleaner. I wasnt in the store long enough to see if either employee left their stations. In and out in 10 minutes or less.

skatfan

What I want them to do is be responsible and not put others as well as themselves in danger by going to work if they are ill with a disease that by now everyone should know is highly contagious. With freedom comes responsibility.

Further, a different bill passed by Congress provides paid sick leave due to YKW, and these provisions also cover the self-employed, albeit via a tax credit rather than immediate payment.

$1200 might cover expenses for a month if one is in a low-cost area. Paycheck Protection loans are only now kicking in - employers have 8 weeks from the time of the loan (we got ours this month) to rehire employees - so many folks have gone two months with out income because UI is also a mess in many states including mine. Employers getting the PPP loans in April don’t have to rehire until June, and they can spend 25% of their payroll on non-labor expenses so not everyone gets hired back.
Re: sick leave on CARES: I’m sure landlords are happy to take the promise of a tax credit next year for rent now.

Its all well and good to tell people to do the right thing when one has choices because one has savings or a kind employer or landlord. Sadly we are not giving enough income support so that others can do the same.

Skate Talker

The not-working-with-symptoms thing does worry me personally because the symptom list is so long and full of so many common things. Once I come down with something (flu, sore throat, whatever), it usually turns into a cold & I sometimes don't shake the cough or runny nose for ages. But now that there are more tests, hopefully one can get a couple negative tests and return to work despite the latter? Also, people with allergies already have the symptoms that go with allergies. So is everyone with them supposed to go in for tests before returning to work?
If I were still working this would be a big issue for me too. Whenever I had cold or flu, I would stay home for a good week until only the irrepressible cough remained, but even at that would be getting grief from work for taking so much time off, then get grief from my co-workers for disturbing them with my coughing jags. I couldn't win but 5 weeks after a simple cold what can you do?

I also know what you mean about the allergies - they are a big reason why I voluntarily mask up when I have to go into a shop. Hopefully people would freak out a little less if I suddenly have to sneeze or cough.

Such a big list of symptoms is also an issue but of all of them I would think the runny nose, coughing and sneezing would be the ones to watch out for the most because they would theoretically make it easier to pass it on, even if proper physical distancing and frequent hand-washing are maintained.

We sure need a reliable rapid test that is widely available and inexpensive enough to allow for frequent testing. We will still need it even if we have a vaccine because we know uptake on that won't be universal and is also likely to be 100% effective.

Susan1

There was the cart retriever bringing them in from parking lots and a cart cleaner. I wasnt in the store long enough to see if either employee left their stations. In and out in 10 minutes or less.
Yeah, by the time I took a cart with my wipe and went in and got milk and went right through the self-check out, probably 8 small carts had been taken away and there wasn't anybody at the cleaning station on my way in or out. Take a wipe! If you can find any. I don't know what I am going to do when I run out. I look every time I'm in the store. With all the places opening back up, they are using 10 times as many wipes that individuals can't get.

BaileyCatts

So this was not the thread to read since I'm going to get a hair cut tomorrow, huh. :shuffle: They have always been vigilant about wiping down stations and sinks between clients before this all happened, there is a list of rules about coming inside, they were always 'by appointment only' anyway so no walk-ins allowed, while there are cases around here, its low compared to like NYC numbers. So here's hoping I guess? :slinkaway

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
This is an article about people who got C19 and how their recovery is going (spoiler: not well)

My friend who had C19 and ended up in the hospital says this is pretty accurate. She got out of the hospital 2 months ago and still goes through periods where she's exhausted or can't breathe.

Immortelle

This is an article about people who got C19 and how their recovery is going (spoiler: not well)

My friend who had C19 and ended up in the hospital says this is pretty accurate. She got out of the hospital 2 months ago and still goes through periods where she's exhausted or can't breathe.
Seems like a post-viral, CFS type condition. Hopefully awareness will bring some support. It sounds very debilitating.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
The thing that scared me the most about that article was the athlete who can't run anymore.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
Looking at pictures from various places around the country where people jammed themselves together, I can’t how stupid people are.

Listening to the stories of folks who got this crud and we’re sicker than hell, why would anyone put themselves at unnecessary risk to catch this shit?

Louis

Private citizen
Looking at pictures from various places around the country where people jammed themselves together, I can’t how stupid people are.

Listening to the stories of folks who got this crud and we’re sicker than hell, why would anyone put themselves at unnecessary risk to catch this shit?
Why would people smoke cigarettes?
Why would people eat fatty, unhealthy, sugary foods known to cause diabetes, obesity, and heart disease?
Why would people drink alcohol?
Why would people drink diet soda and consumer artificial sweeteners with linkage to cancer?
Why would people drive over the speed limit?
Why would people not wear a seatbelt? Or a motorcycle helmet?
Why would people use mobile phones, which could also cause cancer?
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Most of those decrying others' choices are blissfully engaging in their own high-risk behaviors, which put them more at risk for dying in conjunction with *********-19 than going outside the house.

Maybe those who believe cowering in place is the right strategy should use the time wisely to engage in virtual smoking cessation, weight loss, alcoholism treatment, etc. That way, they'll be far less likely to die if and when they ever leave the house. Their behaviors have a 100% chance of killing them, irrespective of *********-19.

BittyBug

Exemplifying model behavior
@Louis for someone who is always railing about claims made without substantiating data you sure like to make sweeping judgments that have no basis in fact. “Most people”? “100% chance”? “Cowering in place”? :drama:

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
All the things you listed basically affect mostly the individual involved. The crud affects not only the individual but those around him.

You have the god given right to do all those things listed above. You do not have the right through your reckless behavior to give me that shit.......

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
$1200 might cover expenses for a month if one is in a low-cost area. Paycheck Protection loans are only now kicking in - employers have 8 weeks from the time of the loan (we got ours this month) to rehire employees - so many folks have gone two months with out income because UI is also a mess in many states including mine. Employers getting the PPP loans in April don’t have to rehire until June, and they can spend 25% of their payroll on non-labor expenses so not everyone gets hired back.
Re: sick leave on CARES: I’m sure landlords are happy to take the promise of a tax credit next year for rent now.

Its all well and good to tell people to do the right thing when one has choices because one has savings or a kind employer or landlord. Sadly we are not giving enough income support so that others can do the same.
I know some rules for PPP have changed. I thought the 8 week time frame was to actually spend at least 75% of the funds on covered payroll expenses - not 8 weeks to rehire. But maybe something changed in the time lines. Or perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I printed the application for loan forgiveness last week, but have not read through it yet so am relying on summary guidance from the bank for this info.

PRlady

So, in perfect health as far as we know, we drove 8 hours to visit close friends in the western NC mountains. Other than the supermarket in masks, we went hiking on trails. That’s it.

And coming over the mountains on the scenic way home we blew a tire. So now we are waiting in Johnson City TN for two new tires, and are in an Applebee’s with masked and gloved servers, about five other couples in a huge space and a Sanitizing Officer who disinfects every booth and seat after being used.

You all judge whether we are reckless. I’m sure there will be varying opinions. Frankly the people here should be more scared of us than we of them.

acraven

I've been comparing the Swedish and US per capita death rates for weeks; the Swedish situation continues to look worse. The US, currently sitting just under 100,000 deaths, would be looking at over 131,000 *********-19 fatalities as of today if it had the same death rate as Sweden. (I used data from the Worldometers website.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 24, Guests: 16)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information