News & Experiences continued

morqet

rising like a phoenix
The UK has been double-counting cases and inflating numbers of *********-19 positive cases by up to 20%.

I think this is a silly error rather than politically motivated, but I'm still in disbelief that something this basic could happen.

To clarify, they have been double counting tests carried out (e.g. nose swab & saliva swab from the same patient counted as two tests), most likely as part of the drive to get to 100,000 tests/day. No suggestion so far that this is has also fed through into the number of cases reported. In fact we are probably considerably underreporting cases given that most people with mild symptoms have been advised to stay at home & not try to get a test unless they are a key worker.

Susan1

So what is this 'contact tracing' thing all about? I keep hearing things like they have to 'hire hundreds of contact tracers' but I never hear exactly what it is?
Basically, they track down who was in contact with a person who tests positive (by phone). They let them know so that they can be tested and quarantined and/or isolated, and the next person, and so on and so on. I have been writing down when I go to which Kroger or CVS or wherever. Not that they are going to know who shops where, but if they announce an outbreak somewhere, I could let them know that I was there on that date. It's mostly for nursing homes or businesses or where someone spends more time (now restaurants). Or where someone goes every day. Ohio is hiring and training 18K people.

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
With the long weekend coming up, they have been a giving a long list of restrictions for the beach and everything else.

I could make it a lot easier for them. Just say if it is fun, you can’t do it.... :p :p :p :p 🍷

Last edited:

once_upon

New condo owner
To clarify, they have been double counting tests carried out (e.g. nose swab & saliva swab from the same patient counted as two tests), most likely as part of the drive to get to 100,000 tests/day. No suggestion so far that this is has also fed through into the number of cases reported. In fact we are probably considerably underreporting cases given that most people with mild symptoms have been advised to stay at home & not try to get a test unless they are a key worker.
And when they count total testing done, they count all the repeat testing. So if they say the US has conducted ××××××××× test (or whatever number it is I'm making up the x), they include in that number each daily repeat testing that is done - like the President, his staff, Congress, the repeats to determine if patients who have been positive are now negative etc. I find it to be an inflated inaccurate statement.

Orm Irian

Basically, they track down who was in contact with a person who tests positive (by phone). They let them know so that they can be tested and quarantined and/or isolated, and the next person, and so on and so on. I have been writing down when I go to which Kroger or CVS or wherever. Not that they are going to know who shops where, but if they announce an outbreak somewhere, I could let them know that I was there on that date. It's mostly for nursing homes or businesses or where someone spends more time (now restaurants). Or where someone goes every day. Ohio is hiring and training 18K people.
Some are also involved in helping to interview the people who have tested positive to help them recall where they've been and when - sometimes it's long enough ago that memories are foggy, and not everyone takes notes or has a social media record to help them remember.

Lizziebeth

We have kept pump bottles of sanitizer in our vehicles since the kids were little. They are in the pocket of the door, so out of direct sun, and never have had issues.
Me too. I keep sunblock, hand lotion and hand sanitizer in the car and make sure it is not in direct sun and there is no problem.

Lizziebeth

The Minnesota State Fair is cancelled. Runs late August until Labor Day. Last time it was cancelled was for the polio epidemic in 1946.

Debbie S

The Minnesota State Fair is cancelled. Runs late August until Labor Day. Last time it was cancelled was for the polio epidemic in 1946.
That's the timeline for our state fair, too. I assume it will be canceled. :(

900 new cases today. I guess that's an improvement. Hospitalizations are dropping, though.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
And when they count total testing done, they count all the repeat testing. So if they say the US has conducted ××××××××× test (or whatever number it is I'm making up the x), they include in that number each daily repeat testing that is done - like the President, his staff, Congress, the repeats to determine if patients who have been positive are now negative etc. I find it to be an inflated inaccurate statement.
I don't. When states say they want to get to X tests per day, they don't mean unique people tested. They mean that many tests per day. So anti-body tests totally count as do repeat tests.

Our governor says he wants to get to a point where people are being tested regularly. This is necessary because all a negative test means is that you don't have it right that second. You could go out and catch it later that day. If you don't get repeat tests, you won't know that.

Me too. I keep sunblock, hand lotion and hand sanitizer in the car and make sure it is not in direct sun and there is no problem.
After our discussion, I was :eek: when the nightly news had a feature on this and showed a car door after some hand sanitizer in the door pocket had exploded. The door was ruined! It did look like a small bomb had gone off next to it.

Speaking of cars, this article recommends keeping your car windows open if you have other people in the car including family members:

I am not sure I think this is a real risk but I figured I'd pass it on and people can decide for themselves.

skipaway

dumb question but ..... I found a little 4 oz. plastic bottle to fill with hand sanitizer to just keep in the cup holder of my car so I always have it when I get in/out of car if I stop at a store. Now that the scorching heat of summer is upon us, that's not going to like ... burst into flames or anything sitting in the hot sun all day, is it? :shuffle:
Unlikely, But be Safe

The article also stated that the picture of the car door blown up was not b/c of hand sanitizer. The fire department just wanted a representative picture of what they believe could happen.

Immortelle

Some are also involved in helping to interview the people who have tested positive to help them recall where they've been and when - sometimes it's long enough ago that memories are foggy, and not everyone takes notes or has a social media record to help them remember.
A friend of mine is a contact tracer in the UK and he’s a great fit for it, medically trained and very kind and reassuring. Excellent for dealing with people who might be panicking or feeling guilty about who they have been in contact with, not to mention trying to remember everywhere they’ve been in a given time frame!

mag

Follow up on the Plandemic video. I wonder what the makers of that video have to hide? ;)

Dobre

A few articles:

I can't link the Seattle Times today. (Have read my maximum of free articles). But this awful fraud scam that has robbed the state of hundreds of millions of dollars by infiltrating Washington State's unemployment system:lynch:. I hope they catch whoever is behind the scam and get every penny back.

Trump Administration Yanks Approval for Homeless Shelters in Sacramento, Across California
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article242865811.html

The Disease is Ripping Through: Why ******** is Devastating California's Pacific Islanders
https://tinyurl.com/ycqruylb
("the highest death rate of any racial or ethnic group" in the state & it sounds like potentially several other states:cry:)

Dozens of Schools Close Hours After Reopening (In South Korea):
(I'm curious how they caught these two cases so quickly. Whether these two kids just happened to be contact traced right after school started? Or did one of them have symptoms, a quick test, and then all the schools in the area were closed after only a few hours? It's impressive if the latter. Having said that, the kids caught the ***** at a Karaoke Bar. Karaoke--not a good business to have open or to be in right now).

Grocery Workers Union Estimates 3,257 Members Infected With ********
https://tinyurl.com/ybwww6on

Last edited:

Louis

Not sure if this is news and experiences or reopening, but the UK is going ahead with plans for quarantining all arrivals beginning June 8. :confused:

You have to fill out an online form saying where you'll be. If you're found not to have completed it, you'll get fined 100 GBP. Then the police could show up at your house to verify that you're there, with fines up to 1000 GBP if you're caught outside.

All of this makes no sense to me. The border has essentially been open as usual for this whole time, and the time to introduce quarantine is 16 days from now?!?!? The rationale is supposedly about preventing a second wave.

Britain is exempting Ireland, but Ireland is not exempting Britain :lol:. So back to the Channel Islands for holidays unless I want to quarantine.....

At least the ******** tracking app is not mandatory. That would have been a step too far for me.

Susan1

once_upon

New condo owner
So much for sacrificing the old and useless for the sake of the economy. And developing herd immunity.

The ***** simply does not care if you are young, older, rich, poor, doesn't care what ethnicity you are. It can leave children with a multi system failure syndrome. It simply doesn't care who is a victim.

It kills, or leaves you will long term health effects (no one knows what damage is done to lungs), or you get lucky and nothing happens.

Debbie S

Over 1000 new cases here today. About 200 of those are my city. I'm getting restless too but I don't think we're ready to reopen. It's possible many of the new cases are coming from nursing homes and prisons b/c they're prioritizing testing there (also healthcare workers) but I was under the impression that nursing home testing, at least, had been completed a week ago or more, but maybe it's taking a while to get results.

They are now offering free testing to everyone, no doctor referral or symptoms needed. It will be interesting to see if the positive test rate (currently the highest in the country) goes down or if many more cases are uncovered.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
The big best news from Gov. Cuomo's press briefing was that reported fatalities yesterday were, at 84, under 100 for the first time since this all began.

He showed the graph of the NY curve and then the US without NY curve, and NY was the molehill, the US the mountain (my metaphor, not his).

He also showed a picture of his father, former governor Mario Cuomo, with a quote that misused "its," spelling it, "it's."

And he complained that Rachel Maddow had mentioned the Wear A Mask video competition yesterday by saying the finalists were very very New York. I assume she meant they were very NYC, because that had been my reaction to them. Not a single mountain or lake or cow in any of them. But I could be bitter because the one I thought was absolute best and voted for was in last place when I voted.

Susan1

Ohio numbers today -

29,288 confirmed cases + 2,120 probable = 31,408 total

314,374 tests

Hospitalized - 5,437
ICU - 1,429
Healthcare workers - 4,833

Deaths - 1,756 confirmed + 200 probable = 1,956

Columbus - 5,097 / 224
Cleveland - 3,851 / 207
Marion County - 2,608 / 21
Cincinnati - 2,349 / 128
12th - Dayton - 578 / 14 still / 158 hosp. (4 more than Thursday)

once_upon

New condo owner
How is your husband doing?
He is doing great. He just has a low grade temp for a couple of days, muscle aches for a couple days and then seems fine. Must have been a minor cold or something. I've had a cough for about a 10 day or week, using my inhaler twice a day. I think that is allergies/asthma. We are pretty careful where we go. Open air places. He is going to pick up a camera though. Probably one of the first real retail environment. The plant nursery is open sides with good ventilation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 24, Guests: 12)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information