News & Experiences continued

canbelto

Um so I didn;t know this but CityMd is now doing round the clock video consultations with doctors. A few days ago I had a very productive consultation with a doctor who asked me some questions and figured out that I probably had a case of BV. She was able to send something to my pharmacist right away. I'm now much better but it had been one of those things that I had let build up because I didn't think there were many options for non-urgent care.

Dobre

Tyson again.

This article popped up first when I searched for Texas news today.
https://tinyurl.com/yco7zce9

A plant in Sherman, Texas with maybe 300 workers found positive, yet the plant is still running.

"Workers whose results are pending are allegedly still going to work, and those who test positive are notified on the job."

skipaway

Tyson again.

This article popped up first when I searched for Texas news today.
https://tinyurl.com/yco7zce9

A plant in Sherman, Texas with maybe 300 workers found positive, yet the plant is still running.

"Workers whose results are pending are allegedly still going to work, and those who test positive are notified on the job."
Our Wilkesboro Tyson plant has tested 2244 of its workers....570 tested positive. A majority had no symptoms :yikes:

million$momma

Hydroxychloroquine. And good for CVS. I think. Although I would think insurance coverage would also hinge on a correct diagnosis in order to fill a prescription.
I'm guessing they are trying to stop a shortage from happening. Wouldn't it be awful if the people who really needed it couldn't get it?!?

once_upon

New condo owner
Our Wilkesboro Tyson plant has tested 2244 of its workers....570 tested positive. A majority had no symptoms :yikes:
Nebraska doesn't report numbers of the packing plants, because Ricketts said that people can lie about where the work OR they might lie and say they work someplace they dont.

He just didnt like the numbers.

Cases in my county have doubled in the last two weeks, the hospitals are reaching 70% in use and ventilators nearly tripled in that time. I think we opened restaurants, hair salons etc 10 days.ago. of course some of those are non ********* hospitalizations since non urgent surgeries began May 5, etc. but those hospital numbers increased a lot since last week.

Last edited:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Just putting this here for the next time someone says “But Sweden”

Before the *********, the Scandinavian country was an obsession of the international anti-immigration right. Gritty urban tales from Malmo and Stockholm were mined as content for right-wing websites and social media networks around the world.
In a strange reversal, Sweden’s response to the ******** made it the focus of envy.
The country did not close schools and businesses to curb the spread of the *****. This led to Sweden being adopted internationally as the darling of lockdown opponents. Peculiarly, people of a laissez-faire and pro-business persuasion took up the Scandinavian welfare state as a bastion of personal freedom and sound economic policy.
In recent days the Financial Times, Bloomberg, Politico, the Wall Street Journal and numerous others have reported that Sweden is facing a comparable economic downturn to the rest of Europe despite its lighter ********* restrictions. Its central bank forecasts a downturn of 7-10 per cent and unemployment as high as 10.4 per cent.
But this narrative would make sense only to a non-Swedish audience.
Within Sweden, the national ********* policy was never justified with an economic rationale. It was designed by the country’s public health agency, which has no role in setting economic policy. The idea of it as an individualistic, pro-business policy was a creation of foreigners drastically misreading Sweden from abroad.

Louis

Sweden is the size of Minnesota, and its economy is so dependent on the EU that I never expected business to be magically better there. If Sweden is open and the rest of Europe is shut, Swedish H&M has no advantage over Spanish Zara. Certain industries - e.g., travel, tourism, airlines - will also be just as badly affected regardless of lockdown policy.

There's no real data in that article, but I would be curious to measure:
  • State of Swedish educational achievement v. other country educational achievement during the lockdown period
  • State of mental health in Sweden v. other countries during the lockdown period
  • Lockdown related deaths / illnesses in Sweden v. other countries during the lockdown period
  • State of Swedish small businesses / restaurants v. other country small business - % of businesses that went bankrupt or would've gone bankrupt without stimulus during the lockdown period

Those are the measures that I think the Swedish government's policy is likely to have had real and meaningful impact, and where there is comparatively little noise coming from EU/EEA membership.

But even taking even this one number as it is, in the context of an obviously slanted article that is only looking for data that proves the author's point, it sounds like Sweden ended up no worse with significantlt fewer restrictions. Why is that not considered victory on its own? This is a far cry from the "sky is falling," death and despair nonsense that the "experts" were predicting.

sk8pics

And wouldn't it be fun to be the insurance company rep who gets to say "Sorry, Mr. President, this prescription was for a non-approved usage, so you won't be reimbursed for it" :lol:
Aw, it’s cute you think he is paying for it.
I wonder if hydroxychloroquine is cheap enough that people are willing to pay for it out of pocket. I was taking a drug that was cheaper than my co-pay once. So I didn't bother submitting to insurance and just paid for it.
I have been taking it for several years, and even under mail order prescription pricing, the price was varying wildly, from $50 to $300 for a three month supply. Lately it’s been cheaper for me, though I don’t know if there was a change in negotiated fees. I just got a refill, but since I already reached my deductible for the year (sadly, due to PT), it’s free for me for the rest of the year.

Um, I don't especially want my pharmacist to determine whether my doctor's reason for prescribing a medication is good enough.
Yeah, I agree, which is why I hedged a little in my post. But I thought the insurance company would deny it if there was not a valid diagnostic code, so the pharmacy shouldn’t be refusing to fill a valid prescription.
I'm guessing they are trying to stop a shortage from happening. Wouldn't it be awful if the people who really needed it couldn't get it?!?
Yes, I’m one of those people. I think there was another post saying they are doing some rationing to keep people from hoarding, without making an issue for people who are on it long term for chronic needs.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
A lot of Gov. Cuomo's press briefing today had to do with summer and children.

Some beaches will be opened starting this weekend but with strict guidelines. No sports (like beach volley ball). Only half the ordinary number of people will be allowed in (come early- parking lots will fill up fast). Maintain social distancing. No concessions. But if you can get in, you can swim.

Summer schools will be distance learning only. No decision yet on schools reopening in September. Schools have June to come up with their plans for safe reopening. No sleepaway camps. No decision yet on day camps.

The CV19 child inflammatory numbers are increasing as more research is being done and more previous cases are being investigated. 157 cases have now been found in NYS. 13 countries have now found cases and out of the 50 states + Washington DC, 25 states/DC have now discovered cases. They're still in the earliest stages trying to locate common denominators among the children.

missing

This is a long interview with IOC President Thomas Bach about present plans (and non-plans) for what would have been the 2020 Olympics.

International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach says he understands why the rescheduled Tokyo 2020 Games would have to be cancelled if it cannot take place next summer.

Local organisers have said they have no back-up plan after the event was postponed by a year because of the ******** crisis.

"You cannot forever employ 3,000 to 5,000 people in an organising committee," Bach told BBC Sport. "You cannot have the athletes being in uncertainty."

In a wide-ranging interview, Bach also:

• admitted the job of re-organising the Games was "a mammoth task"
  • warned that the event would "definitely be different" with a focus on "essentials"
  • would not be drawn on whether a vaccine for *********-19 would be needed for the event to take place
  • insisted staging the Games behind closed doors was "not what we want", but he needs more time to consider whether that was feasible

manhn

I know extending to 2022 right now seems unfathomable, but when Spring 2021 arrives, is another 1-year extension such a bad thing? I would imagine the athletes would prefer "uncertainty" than an outright cancellation.

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
I know extending to 2022 right now seems unfathomable, but when Spring 2021 arrives, is another 1-year extension such a bad thing? I would imagine the athletes would prefer "uncertainty" than an outright cancellation.
As it is, most sports have had to change their World championships that were supposed to be held summer 2021. Swimming and athletics to name just two. If it is postponed for another year then that would likely severely impact qualifying for the 2024 Olympics.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Then it seems to me that the doctors in question should be more than just a little aware of that.

Finnice

For the older athletes postponing two years would be disaster. Everyone is not Savchenko. In a larger scale, not fulfilling your dreams in sport is not a big thing. For an individual, it is a crisis and total evaluation of life.

once_upon

New condo owner
Cases in my county have doubled in the last two weeks, the hospitals are reaching 70% in use and ventilators nearly tripled in that time. I think we opened restaurants, hair salons etc 10 days.ago. of course some of those are non ********* hospitalizations since non urgent surgeries began May 5, etc. but those hospital numbers increased a lot since last week.
Governor update today. We are watching that county closely. Hospital beds overall state have beds. Uh yeah, I dont want to go to a rural hospital should I need to be vented.

Sports can start practice June 1 and games/tournaments June 18th.

I missed the first part but sounds like phase 2 will start in all but the most populous counties in the state. ETA - Not the most populous ones are to be phase 1, every county except where the 2 packing plants with outbreaks will be phase 2, including mine where hospital beds are approaching that 70% occupancy pull back metric.

Recap by news commentator bars will open to 50% all counties, gyms open to 50%, event venues will be open to 50% but guests must stay at their tables. I dont get the difference between phase 1 and 2 if we are opening those things.

Our "leader" refused to wear a mask in a factory that requires a mask. I truly hate him.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Then it seems to me that the doctors in question should be more than just a little aware of that.
I don't see how a doctor could be aware of the quantity of a particular medicine a particular pharmacy has in stock though.

Susan1

28,174 confirmed cases + 1,993 probable = 30,167 total; 731 more reported than yesterday
Before press conference, PBS said 79% are from long term care facilities.
Ages are from <1 - 109. I wonder what happened to the <1 year old.
67 cases are prisoners and staff.

297,085 tests (avg. 9K tests/day)
Reporter asked why only 9K when the plan was 18K/day. Got contract for reagent and are building the infrastructure; it’s a priority to have more than 18K/day.

Hospitalized - 5,295 - 890 are still in the hospital. Two days ago, it was 913, so people must be recovering
ICU - 1,397; Healthcare workers - 4,682

Deaths - 1,653 confirmed + 183 probable = 1,836; 55 more than yesterday.
PBS - 1,247 are from long term care facilities.

Columbus - 4,885 / 205
Cleveland - 3,667 / 202
Cincinnati - 2,228 / 123
12th - Dayton - 554 / 14 ; 154 hosp.

Bowling alleys and stuff like miniature golf and batting cages open on May 26 with the safety guidelines. Student athlete training to start May 26 - school facilities and buildings can be used. No scrimmages or contact, just training
Wedding receptions/banquet facilities can begin with safety guidelines the same as restaurants, no more than 300 people.
Schools can be used for daycares and day camps with the guidelines. ??

Copied this off the news website because they didn’t mention it. Over 46,000 new unemployment claims were filed by Ohioans last week, bringing the total number of jobless claims filed in the last nine weeks in the state to over 1.2 million
The total number of applicants is more than the combined total of those filed in the last three years, according to JFS data. In the last nine weeks, $2.8 billion in unemployment compensation has been paid out.
New unemployment claims were down nearly 10 percent from last week and the total amount of claims were down nearly 6 percent.
Montgomery county (mine ) had the most, with 2,328
Yesterday, 130,000 claimants were notified their personal data may have been compromised in a data leak.

He spent a long time on racial disparities and statistics and all of the programs he has put in place since he became Governor. Then the Vice Mayor of Cincinnati was on skype. There has been a Minority Health Strike Force since April. Community health centers will give out wellness packages (hand sanitizer, etc.). They got a $1M grant for mental health services, with “culturally appropriate messaging”.

Two new tools on the dashboard - a pull down menu when you click on a county where you can choose breakdowns by age, race, etc. Another is a map of vulnerable populations - Ohio Opportunity Index.

Question re people having catering/gatherings in their homes now - people have to decide and use common sense. (me - good luck with that one)

I went to the bathroom (TMI) and missed the question, but Dr. Acton was saying you can’t read anything into a one day increase. I suppose someone asked again how things can be opening up when we haven’t had the decrease we are supposed to have.

A reporter asked why having 30 kids at malls, gyms and pools opening up now is different than the spread at schools. (me - you don’t spend 6 hours sitting next to someone at a pool or gym, but yeah). DeWine said kids had schoolwork during the day at home and now they need something to do. And there are protocols. Lt. Gov. said the same thing. (me - make kids follow protocols? Aren’t there also going to be adults there that could be infected too?) They will be monitoring the numbers. (me - and then what?)

On the noon news, they announced the Ohio State Fair would not be held this year. Someone asked about county fairs. They are reviewing.

No press conference until Tuesday.

missing

The United States has now hit 96,000 reported fatalities.

I don't think it will reach 100,000 on Memorial Day but it certainly will before June 1.

Lorac

The United States has now hit 96,000 reported fatalities.

I don't think it will reach 100,000 on Memorial Day but it certainly will before June 1.
As the number is increasing by over 1000 fatalities a day I'd say there was a good chance that there will be over 100,000 fatalities in the USA by Memorial Day unfortunately.

Dobre

16 new cases in Oregon today. 11 on the seventeenth.

Those are magic numbers. We've been mostly in the 50s, 60s, and 70s since March 26th. (The lowest number we had in the middle there was 30). I wish we had waited just three more weeks to reopen because this is the first serious drop we have had and now the numbers are expected to climb. But I'm sharing these numbers anyway because you start to think the numbers will never go down after plateauing for that long; but at some point after the numbers stopped doubling (probably after Apr. 4th), we were predicted to go down after a six-week plateau if we stuck with stay at home, and here is evidence that it really could have happened.

manhn

16 new cases in Oregon today. 11 on the seventeenth.

Those are magic numbers. We've been mostly in the 50s, 60s, and 70s since March 26th. (The lowest number we had in the middle there was 30). I wish we had waited just three more weeks to reopen because this is the first serious drop we have had and now the numbers are expected to climb. But I'm sharing these numbers anyway because you start to think the numbers will never go down after plateauing for that long; but at some point after the numbers stopped doubling (probably after Apr. 4th), we were predicted to go down after a six-week plateau if we stuck with stay at home, and here is evidence that it really could have happened.
Yes, British Columbia was in the 20-40 area for AGES, and then we had days of single digits (of course, yesterday we got 21 new cases).

SkateSand

Cat Servant
There have been a lot of predictions/guesses, but wasn't one of them that the total C V deaths in the U.S. would be between 100,000 and 200,000? I think that's going to be the correct prediction.

Louis

Total deaths in the U.S. are 102% of "expected" deaths in normal times (excluding *********-19), and in the past two weeks, total deaths are 84% and 40% of expected values.

In the UK -- the worst-hit country in Europe -- deaths are slightly down versus expected values.

I understand that these large numbers of deaths reported in the media are upsetting. To anyone who has studied death statistics or mortality (e.g., with an actuarial background), these are not large numbers. They're normal numbers. And they suggest that most of the people who died from *********-19 would've died anyway - from the regular flu, from the on average severe comorbidities, or even from old age. The average age of death is no different than the average US life expectancy. This is a sad situation that has been blown entirely out of proportion by the media and politicians with questionable motivations.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So we're getting an early minute (not an early mark, FFS #ScottyFromMarketing, who ever called it that?).
Um, everyone? Who the flip calls it an "early minute"? I have never heard it called that.

Stage 2 is May 30 here, and Stage 3 June 19. We are being extra cautious. Still haven't figured out if rinks are Stage 2 or 3 yet for us, but considering what could have been, June 19 is not long to wait.

missing

As the number is increasing by over 1000 fatalities a day I'd say there was a good chance that there will be over 100,000 fatalities in the USA by Memorial Day unfortunately.
Deaths tend to be underreported on weekends, which is why the numbers spike on Tuesdays (Gov. Cuomo mentioned that once).

Since it's a 3 day weekend, I assume it will take that much longer for the actual numbers to appear. And I'm enough of a cynic to think Republican governors in particular don't want 100,000 to show as the number on Memorial Day and might suppress information (for example choosing not to include the number of deaths in prisons that weekend).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 20, Guests: 13)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information