News, Articles, Photos, Practice notes, reports, social media fun, etc. from Worlds 2018

Spun Silver

Ratings
Yikes, Bradie fell 3 times on 3 different jumps. Out of 25 triples! Mirai fell twice in 24 triples. They sure are practicing hard. No clean 3As for Mirai in 5 attempts. A bit of a rough day at the office. But no rougher than Shoma's or Nathan's.

Bruno is popping the SBS. :(

skatfan

Ratings
How does he manage to get to so many figure skating competitions in a year?
He's self-funded, to a large extent. I think he has some kind of agreement with Ice Network, since he does desk work with them, and sometimes hosts the podcast. In his other life, he's a McKinsey consultant, which is quite well compensated. He uses all his "off" time to follow his figure skating passion.

Thread starter #12

Sylvia

Club comp. season is underway & I'm not ready yet
Ratings
Lufthansa lost Kim/Kam's baggages between Frankfurt and Milano. Kim has only her boots. Edea will kindly deliver a new pair of boots to Kam.
Pj Kwong has tweeted from the rink: "Am looking at KOR skater Alex Kang Chan Kam right now on the ice - lots of flexing of the foot so maybe new skates? Andrew Wolfe has new EDEA skates as of this morning - hoping for great skates for all!"
https://twitter.com/skatingpj/status/976131810118832128

Lilia A

Ratings
Apparently Shoma is breaking in new boots. He showed up for practice skated a bit and then left before his music😢
Well, this just showed up on Twitter TL
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports...m_medium=social&utm_campaign=nikkansports_ogp

His ankle is hurt, but it doesn't say to what extent. If he's out, Japan's 3rd spot is definitely gone (questionable already considering Tanaka's placement at the Olympics). Things aren't looking good, apparently. I guess it's Jin vs. Chen now.

kittyjake5

Ratings

Aimless

Ratings
A little off topic, but what Shoma did makes me wonder again: Is there an obligation for skaters to attend practice? Must they? Consequences if they don't?

Thread starter #22

Sylvia

Club comp. season is underway & I'm not ready yet
Ratings
I haven't had the chance to watch any of these yet, but here are some practice videos (Monday & Tuesday): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtsYAS4stT8c3-tVUYjFbUw/videos

ETA 2 Worlds previews on "Ice Talk": http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Ep. 67: Worlds Preview (Men's & Dance) with Ben Agosto/Tarah Kayne & Danny O'Shea (taped before their withdrawal :()

Ep. 66: Worlds Preview (Ladies & Pairs) with Brooke Castile/Kaetlyn Osmond

More practice pics courtesy of @levineismine: https://twitter.com/fs_evolution

Last edited:

livetoskate

Ratings
Oh dear hope he is okay
Aargh, that would be terrible if Uno had to withdraw. I'm not a fan of his skating but it would have been a big battle for the podium. So many top skaters dropping out.... Maybe Mura should not have retired yet; is it too late to fly him out or get someone like Dice Murakami if Uno can't skate?

jlai

Title-less
Ratings
No need to be pessimistic. His ankle may be better by tomorrow.
Remember Javier didn't practice much during 2016 worlds and then he won?

Lilia A

Ratings
Based on practice reports, he's replacing the 4F with a 3S (in the short, at least, but I'd dump it in the free if it's really been a problem all week and is dealing with boot problem and foot pain). That certainly takes him out of contention for the gold, but I'd rather have him end the season with a not so great result than with a worse injury.
Oh well, at least he still has, and always will have, his Olympic silver.

rosewood

Ratings
The Japanese article quoted on the tweet says Shoma did 9 jumps during the 20 minutes practice of today. It also says that according to Kobayashi of JFS Shoma broke in new boots after Olys and he's had a pain in his instep of right foot since then. He went to a local hospital to have examinations last night and it was confirmed that his foot was not broken. He intends to participate in the competition as originally planned. Kobayashi said "He's much better than yesterday. Since he says he'll participate, we'll see the progress."

hmmmm... I don't know whether participating in the competition is good or not at this point...

kittyjake5

Ratings
The Japanese article quoted on the tweet says Shoma did 9 jumps during the 20 minutes practice of today. It also says that according to Kobayashi of JFS Shoma broke in new boots after Olys and he's had a pain in his instep of right foot since then. He went to a local hospital to have examinations last night and it was confirmed that his foot was not broken. He intends to participate in the competition as originally planned. Kobayashi said "He's much better than yesterday. Since he says he'll participate, we'll see the progress."

hmmmm... I don't know whether participating in the competition is good or not at this point...
We will have to see how he does after the SP. I am sure they will give him pain injections. The FS will be a challenge
for him and I would have to think that right know his focus may be on retaining the spots and not the podium. That is
my realistic take on things but my optimism is still for Shoma to podium. GO SHOMA! :cheer2::cheer2:

Thanks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)