News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

Elka

Yeah that’s what happens when I post in the middle of the night with insomnia.

The sentence: "this encouraged people all up and down the regime to start stealing other people’s businesses and property." reminded me of what I was told in Russia some time 13-15 years ago. How the most terrifying thing in Russia was that if you built a small successful business for yourself, nothing major, not becoming very rich or something. Just to have a decent life. Then "they" would come and tell you that you must hand it over, give it up to somebody.

skatingguy

The sentence: "this encouraged people all up and down the regime to start stealing other people’s businesses and property." reminded me of what I was told in Russia some time 13-15 years ago. How the most terrifying thing in Russia was that if you built a small successful business for yourself, nothing major, not becoming very rich or something. Just to have a decent life. Then "they" would come and tell you that you must hand it over, give it up to somebody.
The definition of a kleptocracy.

Elka

The definition of a kleptocracy.
My point was that at that time Russia was considered a place to do business by a lot of Western companies. I remembered being a little bit astonished at that time. The decade of Yeltsin's chaos was behind. "Banditskiy Petersburg" was gone and Putins time of course had made life of foreigners more complicated in Russia, but the locals seemed happy with him and there was "law and order".

ETA: of course I know what has been going on in Russia for ages, but this was about the small businesses.
ETA: and I had presumed it would be just money for "protection" and the usual payments, not a take over.

Last edited:

text_skate

Raiders, Рейдеры, there is a documentary from 2014 about this phenomen, by Alexander Gentelev, on youtube and waybackmaschine there is only a German version. It's a German, Israeli, Swiss co-production

clairecloutier

A couple interesting articles about/from Russian journalists:

In this WaPo piece, Meduza investigative editor Andrey Kovalev describes how the free press has been shut down in Russia, and how he himself has fled to Latvia (although he continues his work):

And here, Rolling Stone reports how Sergei Loiko--a well-known reporter on Russia for the LA Times--has left Russia and joined the Ukrainian army (in spirit and solidarity, more than actually bearing arms). Loiko apparently has terminal cancer and chooses to end his life, potentially, expressing his opposition to Putin. It's very interesting:

Loiko posted a new video ... on Thursday. "I am no longer a journalist, I am a free man,” he says. “I am here on the outskirts of Kyiv to defend Ukraine from my motherland, from Putin, the Hitler of today.”

Taking up arms with the Ukrainians, Loiko says, has made a return to his home of Moscow impossible — at least as long Putin remains in power. He describes Putin as a delusional and desperate tyrant who would rather destroy Russia than accept defeat. He adds bluntly that he hopes to spur regime change in Moscow. “I am joining this war because I want to kill Putin,” he says. “Our victory will mean his demise.”

ETA: Also, just wanted to say that NPR reporter Tim Mak (reporting in Ukraine) is a good follow on Twitter. He posts an update on what's happening each morning. https://twitter.com/timkmak

text_skate

Long, heart-breaking read, graphic reference to death

What the Russian Invasion Has Done to Ukraine
After thwarting a quick victory for Russia, Ukrainians are galvanized—and facing a punitive assault.
By Joshua Yaffa, March 12, 2022

babayaga

Occupied Kherson today: https://www.facebook.com/100007599674363/videos/2692849184194789
I think it's been like this ever since russians took over, protests every day. the russians are trying to organize another "referendum" to create a Kherson People Republic, just like what they did in 2014. But there is zero support from people, and and even local senate voted yesterday that Kherson is a Ukrainian region and there will be no "people's republic" there. I assume russians will start to kidnap them one by one, and torture, like what they now do with mayor of Melitopol.

babayaga

Last edited:

Elka

I meant was she getting particularly trolled because she's Ukrainian or are other Russian skaters getting trolled for speaking out. Not that there have been many that I've seen, but Yagudin did on the first day of the invasion.
Yagudin got a lot of shit also.

• Sad
Reactions: AYS

once_upon

Enough
I can't find the clip or written discussion by Jill Doughtry a Russian political expert to validate this...last night she was interviewed on CNN and described how the Russian Orthodox Church and Putin are interrelated. How Putin believes he is God's vehicle to return Russia to it's prior state - not just USSR but days of Tzars.

In that Tzar period Kyiv was an instrumental prominent piece of history.

IMO, it is the God sent prophet status that Putin believes is his right, that adds to the danger presents to the world. Religious zealots believe in their destiny.

Asli

Thank you allezfred! :(

The chorus of the Jewish slaves from Verdi's Nabucco, allegedly expressing the feelings of the Italian people under Austrian rule at that time.

It's arguably the most beautiful piece for chorus in the entire repertoire, but I feel I'm really hearing it for the first time. How much more powerful, how eerie and how heartbreaking does it sound when for the chorus it isn't fiction!

Jammers

I can't find the clip or written discussion by Jill Doughtry a Russian political expert to validate this...last night she was interviewed on CNN and described how the Russian Orthodox Church and Putin are interrelated. How Putin believes he is God's vehicle to return Russia to it's prior state - not just USSR but days of Tzars.

IMO, it is the God sent prophet status that Putin believes is his right, that adds to the danger presents to the world. Religious zealots believe in their destiny.
Putin was KGB and a communist he doesn't believe in God no matter what he says he's just using them to gain support from them.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

And what does this remind us of? QAnon crazies claiming Trump is God's messenger? (Or whatever they call him.) Yes.

Personally, if I believed in God and the Bible, I'd say that Trump and Putin are the Anti-Christ. But I don't so I just think Putin is evil and Trump is one of those people who is evil because he's weak and self-centered.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I am religious (but liberal and non evangelical) and believe in the Bible. I don’t think Putin is the antichrist, just an evil man. This stuff is a lot like Trump and the religious right. Also, although a very imperfect analogy, my first thought was “oh, so he’s trying to channel Rasputin too now.”

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
And what does this remind us of? QAnon crazies claiming Trump is God's messenger? (Or whatever they call him.) Yes.

Personally, if I believed in God and the Bible, I'd say that Trump and Putin are the Anti-Christ. But I don't so I just think Putin is evil and Trump is one of those people who is evil because he's weak and self-centered.

This song of Bob Dylan's keeps playing in my brain...

"With God on Our Side"

"If God is on our side, He'll stop the next war."

becca

Oh, I am not arguing. Your silence on what is happening as Putin bombs maternity hospitals speaks volumes about where you stand on the issue.
I am against him doing that. I said that repeatedly i don’t support his war.

I have literally not been on this thread much at all. Because you cannot change the past.

Thinking expanding nato was unwise doesnt equal supporting the slaughter of innocent people.

What’s even worse is the Russian orthodox patriarch is supporting it as some sort of weird Russian Orthodox nationalism. Although some are speaking out of course

Last edited:

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
So who wants to go to a zoo in Nikolaev with me? Who wants to rent a flat in Kharkiv with me?
More to the point: airbnb make it possible to rent flats in Ukraine, the money goes to the flat owners. So book whatever you feel like.
The Nikolav zoo need money to feed the animals, it's possible to buy their tickets

@airgelaal , can you send us more links of that kind? Preferably on the platforms that do not require to approve the service was delivered (for example am not sure, but I think on ebay I would need a shipping number to approve the received goods, but on airbnb/tickets to the venues/places I don't).
I'm going to the zoo next Sunday - all the tickets until then have now been sold out.

once_upon

Enough
Putin was KGB and a communist he doesn't believe in God no matter what he says he's just using them to gain support from them.

Her reporting talked a little bit about Putin giving large sums of money to the Russian Orthodox Church and alluded to their support of his actions.

I think he is an evil man. I just can't think of anyone (alive) who is as evil. Not having been alive in WW II, or live in Post WW II Europe, I don't know who is more evil Hitler or Putin.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I think Hitler is still most evil. Some of the more current estimates on the total number killed by Nazis in the holocaust is around 17 million.

I think even among Russians/Soviets, Stalin is still more evil.

Even if he’s not most evil ever, Putin is still well over the line for evil.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information