News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's impossible. putin thought, that Ukraine will be an easy journey for his as Crimea was. But it's not. We will fight until we die. It's the only way for us to live
I am reading now of the resistance. Godspeed to you all fighting for your country in whatever way. It will make a huge difference; it is the ultimate pain that can be inflicted on Putin.

skategal

Bunny mama
This is one reason why Putin won’t continue to invade other countries.

The oligarchs are losing billions of dollars a day.

Also, Putin can’t touch a NATO country or he’s toast. He won’t win a war against NATO.

His own Russian military will be bruised from going into the Ukraine and will suffer more loss than the Russian people will want to tolerate.

He needs to smarten up soon or his life expectancy will shorten dramatically either through a war or internal revolt.

Finnice

It's impossible. putin thought, that Ukraine will be an easy journey for him as Crimea was. But it's not. We will fight until we die. It's the only way for us to live
I admire the attitude. That is what Finland did in 1939 and 1940-44. I just wish you would not need to fight until you die. I wish it will be over soon. I pray for Ukraine in my own way. Your reports are so very welcome. I just wish they were about skating, not about the war.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I just saw the first part of Putins speech. Literally his first words after saying the security of Russia was NATO expansion.

Look even if it’s not really Russia’s reason it’s the reason Russia is giving. And Russian had been screaming on it for decades.

We aren’t the ones who are invading he is and NATO is his justification

It’s the excuse Russia is giving their people. We could have not gone there maybe it wouldn’t have changed things but at least Putin wouldn’t have that excuse.

It is what it is I am just sorry for the loss of lives and fear this will escalate.

I am not good with what is happening. But if we refuse to recognize our part in this. This is going to blow up in to a world conflict
Instead of mindlessly parroting Putin’s lies, maybe look at what is happening to Ukraine and ask yourself why countries feel the need to join NATO at all in the first place?

Karen-W

IOC asks for events in Russia/Belarus to be canceled. https://www.espn.com/olympics/story...es-sports-bodies-cancel-events-russia-belarus

The International Olympic Committee urged sports bodies Friday to cancel or move all events they plan to hold in Russia and Belarus, and stop using the countries' flags and national anthems.

Russia breached the Olympic Truce by invading Ukraine on Thursday, only four days after the closing ceremony of the Winter Games in Beijing. Some of the Russian troops entered Ukraine from Belarus, Russia's ally.

I had not previously read that Belarus was complicit in the invasion.

How did you miss the fact that all of the northern invasion forces were coming in from several Russian military bases located in Belarus? Lukashenko is Putin's puppet.

Russia is now openly threatening Finland if it joins NATO.
All the more reason for NATO to offer Finland (and Sweden if they want it) membership immediately.

Yes. We are not happy. I try to be calm. We have a good government and president. And we hate bullying.

But having two sons, who would be sent if the war would come, does make me burst in tears occasionally.
I hear you. I hope everyone in Finland can remain safe and know that we do stand with you.

I can't believe that I'm agreeing with @rfisher or @allezfred on anything political but, I agree that NATO should move in and protect Ukraine. We should not allow Putin any further opportunity for aggression. If there is anything history has taught us it is that men like Putin are never wholly appeased or satisfied.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I have been in a state of shock for the past few days. The last European war was when Yugoslavia was falling apart. As luckily, there was no presence of nuclear weapons, this is not considered that huge of a thing, but this war happened with the full presence of the EU border and with the imposed embargo. Bless Hungary for smuggling weapons to Croatia as the Yugoslavian army was declared as the 4th biggest army in the world at the time.

I cannot believe that it is taking days for NATO and the EU to even discuss together in the time when we have digital technology to gather together immediately.

I was just a child, but I remember the look in my parent's eyes. The look of terror and hopelessness.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is about defending the frontline NATO countries, not Ukraine, but it is what we are talking about, news:

BRUSSELS (AP) — NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Friday that U.S. President Joe Biden and his counterparts have agreed to send parts of the organization’s response force to help protect allies in the east following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Speaking after chairing a NATO summit in Brussels, Stoltenberg said the leaders decided to send parts of the NATO Response Force and elements of a quickly deployed spearhead unit. He did not say how many troops would be deployed, but confirmed that the move would involve land, sea and air power.

The NRF can number up to 40,000 troops, but Stoltenberg said that NATO would not be deploying the entire force. Parts of a force known in NATO jargon as the Very High Readiness Joint Task Force (VJTF), which is currently led by France, will also be sent.

once_upon

Believer in woman's right to own healthcare decisi
It's good that all the events and such are being pulled from Russia, but at this point I doubt that Putin is too concerned about that. Probably the thinking is more on world domination.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I just saw the first part of Putins speech. Literally his first words after saying the security of Russia was NATO expansion.

Look even if it’s not really Russia’s reason it’s the reason Russia is giving. And Russian had been screaming on it for decades.

We aren’t the ones who are invading he is and NATO is his justification

It’s the excuse Russia is giving their people. We could have not gone there maybe it wouldn’t have changed things but at least Putin wouldn’t have that excuse.

It is what it is I am just sorry for the loss of lives and fear this will escalate.

I am not good with what is happening. But if we refuse to recognize our part in this. This is going to blow up in to a world conflict
Do you really honestly believe that if Ukraine said "okay, we won't join NATO" that Putin would pull all his troops out of there? If it wasn't joining NATO, it would have been something else.

And it isn't what it is. It's nonsense. Stop repeating it. Repeating this is only helping Putin.

What is it that people think should be done that isn't being done?

Should NATO take military action?
Yes. Not invade Russia or even send troops to Ukraine, but start mobilizing troops and send them to protect NATO countries. Otherwise, what's the point of having NATO?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Yes. Not invade Russia or even send troops to Ukraine, but start mobilizing troops and send them to protect NATO countries. Otherwise, what's the point of having NATO?
That's already happening. See my post just above for inceased NATO deployments to eastern NATO countries.

My question wasn't about deployment but about military action, putting forces into action, what is a way to say that besides military action?

Elka

Russia is now openly threatening Finland if it joins NATO.
"Finland and Sweden should not base their security damaging the security of other countries,"

Well, Russia should not base their security starting wars, attacking and invading other countries.

We have a good president, but I am not sure about the prime minister, just listening her on TV, and government.

We should have joined years ago. Together with the Baltic countries maybe. The economy in Finland will suffer anyhow due to the sanctions and counter sanctions and I cannot see any good co-operation with Russia in the future for a long time. Could as well start the joining procedures asap.

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
"Finland and Sweden should not base their security damaging the security of other countries,"

Well, Russia should not base their security starting wars, attacking and invading other countries.

We have a good president, but I am not sure about the prime minister, just listening her on TV, and government.

We should have joined years ago. Together with the Baltic countries maybe. The economy in Finland will suffer anyhow due to the sanctions and counter sanctions and I cannot see any good co-operation with Russia in the future for a long time. Could as well start the joining procedures asap.
why didn't Finland and Sweden join the NATO years ago? I read that there was always big opposition in most of the public. What are the reasons for that?

skategal

Bunny mama
why didn't Finland and Sweden join the NATO years ago? I read that there was always big opposition in most of the public. What are the reasons for that?
Sweden wants the option to remain neutral in a war.

Not sure about Finland.

But Finland have an option to join if security concerns are an issue but it must be approved through all levels of their government.

barbk

How did you miss the fact that all of the northern invasion forces were coming in from several Russian military bases located in Belarus? Lukashenko is Putin's puppet.
I knew Ukraine had a large border with Russia...and I wasn't thinking about Chernobyl being so close to Belarus. :wall:

Primorskaya

It seems like there's an unprecedented movement of protest against this in Russia. Spontaneous demos, public personalities speaking up against the war...God I wish this is the beginning of the end for Putin. I used to think he was a calculating, ruthless but sane autocrat, now I think he's lost the plot.
I live in Berlin, such a symbolic city of the insanity where Europe has managed to engulf itself time and time again. Can't believe we're now finding ourselves on the edge of history. I hope our governments find a way to do something. Appeasement doesn't work. Warfare on the ground will leave Ukraine in cinders. There must be ways to cripple the Russian state! Right now all the news I see about it not being easy to exclude Russia from the Swift payment system feel like financiers stalling, putting profit before people, as per f*cking usual!
@airgelaal @babayaga , I think of you and hope you are and will stay safe.

Elka

History. It is a long story, but it was so long officially "bad". One problem now is of course that the procedure takes a long time.

giselle23

If you read history, people and countries have a remarkable ability to think "if they just take X, they'll leave us alone." and do it over and over and over from the Romans, Alexander the Great, the Monguls all the way through to the Russian czars, Hitler, the Chinese and on and on and on. Europe let Hitler have Poland hoping he'd stop there. It wasn't until it was clear he had no intention of stopping with Poland they became alarmed. In the US, there is little support for Biden to do anything, especially, if it causes their gas prices to rise. He would not get a Congressional approval for much more than what he's done. There is a who cares about Ukraine mentality as long as what happens to them doesn't impact me. Trump is cheering Putin on and so are his sycophants. Much of Europe is willing to sacrifice Ukraine for Russian natural gas. If China and Iran join Russia, WW III is going to happen. It's inevitable and the world as we know it will be different. No idea how, but different.
Actually, they let him have Czechoslovakia. After he invaded Poland, war was declared.

giselle23

After WWII the communists moved on eastern europe. Countries were swallowed by puppet totalitarian regimes under the control of the Soviet Union.

The policy that was implemented was containment. The Soviet Union did not continue to swallow up more countries in Europe. There was not more war on the European continent.

It is not inevitable if Russia occupies Ukraine that more war will occur. Can sanctions roll back Putin from Ukraine? Probably not. They can weaken him and maybe he can fall from within.
The USSR didn't "move" on Eastern Europe. The USSR was given post-war control over Eastern European countries and was supposed to leave after stable governments had been established, like the US and the UK did in Western Europe. Stalin instead installed puppet governments that answered to Moscow. The countries were taken without a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information