News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Not all Republicans were fans of him. I know I wasn't - and that is a big reason why I held my nose and voted for Trump in 2016 - because I had ZERO respect for the appeasement/reset strategy employed by the Obama administration and the job HRC did as Secretary of State. But, then again, US foreign policy for the last two decades has been absolute shit, from both sides of the political aisle.

That's really not the defense and validation to vote for the orange troglodyte that you think it is.

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Staff member

Note for @becca

We’ve been hearing voices both past and present saying that the reason for what has happened is, as George Kennan put it, the strategic blunder of the eastward expansion of nato. The great-power realist-school historian John Mearsheimer insists that a great deal of the blame for what we’re witnessing must go to the United States. I thought we’d begin with your analysis of that argument.
I have only the greatest respect for George Kennan. John Mearsheimer is a giant of a scholar. But I respectfully disagree. The problem with their argument is that it assumes that, had nato not expanded, Russia wouldn’t be the same or very likely close to what it is today. What we have today in Russia is not some kind of surprise. It’s not some kind of deviation from a historical pattern. Way before nato existed—in the nineteenth century—Russia looked like this: it had an autocrat. It had repression. It had militarism. It had suspicion of foreigners and the West. This is a Russia that we know, and it’s not a Russia that arrived yesterday or in the nineteen-nineties. It’s not a response to the actions of the West. There are internal processes in Russia that account for where we are today.

caseyedwards

That totally ignores that in after the Soviet Union fell and Russia was a new country lots of Russian leaders leaned on the United States and Americans Were consulted on everything. Yeltsin begged bush for help and to be in nato and then he begged Clinton for help. Russians gave complete control over economic policies to American advisors. They did shock therapy which was a disaster and then they expanded nato and bombed Serbia while keeping Jackson vannik! Russia absolutely tried to be different! Russia was even criticized for fighting Islamic radicals in Chechnya! Russia changed while all American leaders chose to follow people like anti Russia zealot zbignew brezeinski. It is true America is partly to blame. Constant backstabbing while pretending to want resets.

Michael mcfauls book has so many details of Americans rushing in and being welcomed as guides and mentors and even idols

America could be Involved in Ukraine but Russia was meddling etc

Not just America - EU policy said Ukraine could only be in EU never Russia customs Union.

Last edited:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Is anyone else disappointed by the deafening silence of prominent figure skaters on Ukrainia's plight? Scott Hamilton, Kristy Yamaguchi, Brian Boitano. For them the world has not changed a bit. Katia Gordeeva is posing on Instagram grinning ear to ear. You'd think given the large number of Ukrainians in the skating community and the fact that many of them have been their close friends and some of them are now in danger, they'd at least show some compassion for what is happening in Ukraine. I find it really off putting.
Trankov did a photo dump on Instagram, I'm assuming before it gets shut down for the Russians. One of the photos was a "no war" sign.

Wyliefan

Slow, dull, and G-rated
Not all Republicans were fans of him. I know I wasn't - and that is a big reason why I held my nose and voted for Trump in 2016 - because I had ZERO respect for the appeasement/reset strategy employed by the Obama administration and the job HRC did as Secretary of State. But, then again, US foreign policy for the last two decades has been absolute shit, from both sides of the political aisle.
So it didn't bother you that Trump had his head so far up Putin's rear end that he could have done his colonoscopy for him?

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
I apologize. I shouldn't have replied to the initial comment/usual snark that happens here against Republicans.

Have we heard anything from our Ukrainian posters today?

Amy L

Trankov did a photo dump on Instagram, I'm assuming before it gets shut down for the Russians. One of the photos was a "no war" sign.

Well, he is married to a Ukrainian. Tatiana got mercilessly trolled for her anti-war posts so she's been holding back a bit. I hope her family is doing okay. I believe her mother is with her in Russia but she was having a hard time getting in contact with her dad, who was still in Ukraine.

babayaga

These past couple of days have been quiet. Russians used up all of their potential to move forward and it looks like both sides are regrouping.
Kharkiv defenders pushed the Russians out of the city suburbs a little, so it is now quieter in the city. Ukrainian soldiers are itching for a russian attack so that they could counter-attack afterwards, but Russians seem to be afraid to make a move.
Also, stingers started to help a little, so there are less airstrikes too.
There is a report that Russians shelled (again) a green corridor near Kyiv with women and children, killed 7, the rest turned back.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher

Note for @becca
This is a long read, but well worth it. I ran across it earlier today. To reiterate, there is only ONE person responsible for the war of aggression against Ukraine, that’s Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin. Not NATO, not Ukraine, not any European country. Just him, Putin.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That's not the vibe that I'm getting from all the news reports.
I think there were some think pieces a few days back saying that Kyiv was going to be taken eventually. But they didn't say when eventually was. Maybe that's where it's coming from?

Johnny_Fever

I think there were some think pieces a few days back saying that Kyiv was going to be taken eventually. But they didn't say when eventually was. Maybe that's where it's coming from?
I suppose it could all be eventual, if the Russians just overwhelm every town with artillary, missles, and sheer quantities of troops and equipment. I've got a feeling Kyiv might be a tough nut to crack. Even if the Russians did capture it, you'd have to wonder if they could hold it.

Judy

My teacher friend sent me this.

becca

Note for @becca
Sigh. I am personally not reading this thread much anymore I disagree with the article.

But if I do try to explain why I disagree with this article it comes across that I am trying to defend Putin.

I have no interest in defending the man or appearing to do so. Especially with people here directly affected.

I am not going to change my mind on expanding NATO but the decisions were made and arguing seems useless

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information