News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

text_skate

free link:

Andriy Chirkov said he felt euphoric when the giant chicken farm he managed on Ukraine’s Black Sea coast was freed from Russian rule. Then he saw the devastated state soldiers had left it in.

free link:
When France wanted to send Leclerc tanks to bolster the defenses of NATO ally Romania in September, fellow alliance member Germany opposed trucking them across its highways. The problem wasn’t peace protesters or political opposition. It was the heavy French tank-transporters.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has exposed weaknesses and shortcomings across European militaries, from permeable air defenses to insufficient supplies of ammunition. It has also provided painful reminders of a frailty that planners within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization have fretted over in recent years: the difficulty of transporting military equipment across the continent.
After the U.S.S.R. collapsed, so did that supply infrastructure. Quartermasters and civilian transportation authorities stopped conferring. Western European railways sold off rolling stock designated for wartime. Governments enacted regulations that impeded movement of ammunition, explosives and other dangerous materiel across borders.
NATO expansion into former Warsaw Pact countries, starting in 1999, complicated matters further, because nobody knew which roads or rail lines would be best to use in a crisis.
---
David Patrikarakos for Unherd:
The sun rises on 2023. Its rays light up the trench, an unwelcoming black void into which we gratefully disappear to take cover from the artillery, rockets and Iranian Shahid drones that are launched daily from the Russian positions just kilometres across the water. All around, the landscape is ragged and torn. This is the emergent topography of southern Ukraine, a land sundered by violence. Nearby, a cat wanders across an expanse of concrete — unperturbed by it all.

Last edited:

Asli

free link:

When France wanted to send Leclerc tanks to bolster the defenses of NATO ally Romania in September, fellow alliance member Germany opposed trucking them across its highways. The problem wasn’t peace protesters or political opposition. It was the heavy French tank-transporters.

So in France we've got tanks, but we have no means to transport them where they're needed without destroying the roads. :(

It seems these are immobile tanks. They are planted like trees and all we have to do is wait for the enemy to move within their range. ;)

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
It seems these are immobile tanks. They are planted like trees and all we have to do is wait for the enemy to move within their range. ;)
It's decorative tanks. They look very nice in a garden among gnomes and topiaries. The new "jardins à la Française". I want one that I'll paint in blue like my shutters and I'll hang pink geraniums from its gun turret 🤗

caseyedwards

Because over a hundred billion dollars and a year fighting is not enough! It’s got to be trillions and a decade like Iraq or Afghanistan! It’s amazing all democrats and so many republicans want a new Afghanistan

And who cares if United States spends more on Ukraine’s border than its own?

Time for peace deal. Time for Ukraine to stop listening to its extreme ultranationalists and stop trying to scam western counties and line their pockets. No way billions aren’t in bank accounts.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Because over a hundred billion dollars and a year fighting is not enough! It’s got to be trillions and a decade like Iraq or Afghanistan! It’s amazing all democrats and so many republicans want a new Afghanistan
It's not the same because (a) we should never have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan in the first place and (b) Ukraine was invaded by a foreign country with a lot of power so keeping them out of Ukraine is in the world's best interest not just Ukraine's best interest.

Time for peace deal. Time for Ukraine to stop listening to its extreme ultranationalists and stop trying to scam western counties and line their pockets. No way billions aren’t in bank accounts.
Sure, let's give in to Russia who has explicitly said that Ukraine is their first target, not their last just when it looks like victory is in sight. Makes sense to me. :rolleyes: Not to mention, not only does it look like Ukraine is going to win but they may even get Crimea back. So why should they make concessions. Russia is the losing party here, not Ukraine.

Pulling out just before victory is in sight seems myopic and something I'm not surprised the party that supported an armed insurrection (either explicitly or implicitly) is arguing for. That said, I have no objection to making sure our money is being spent wisely and where we think it is. There should always be accounting when large sums of money are involved.

caseyedwards

It's not the same because (a) we should never have gone into Iraq or Afghanistan in the first place and (b) Ukraine was invaded by a foreign country with a lot of power so keeping them out of Ukraine is in the world's best interest not just Ukraine's best interest.

Sure, let's give in to Russia who has explicitly said that Ukraine is their first target, not their last just when it looks like victory is in sight. Makes sense to me. :rolleyes: Not to mention, not only does it look like Ukraine is going to win but they may even get Crimea back. So why should they make concessions. Russia is the losing party here, not Ukraine.

Pulling out just before victory is in sight seems myopic and something I'm not surprised the party that supported an armed insurrection (either explicitly or implicitly) is arguing for. That said, I have no objection to making sure our money is being spent wisely and where we think it is. There should always be accounting when large sums of money are involved.
You don’t want an extreme escalation which is possible if a real loss was imminent! Not just the loss of many towns. Who knows how much escalation there would be if something like crimea was really threatened. And how much American money and time would it take for Ukraine to get crimea? Probably not worth It at all

Even if Russia took over all of Ukraine it would mean Nothing geopolitically. It wouldn’t make Russia as powerful or dangerous as China.

Asli

Even if Russia took over all of Ukraine it would mean Nothing geopolitically. It wouldn’t make Russia as powerful or dangerous as China.

1. Russia has shown exactly how dangerous it is by attacking a neighbour that it used to call a"brother" country, killing indiscriminately, committing all the war crimes in the book and turning whole cities into scorched earth.

2. Ukraine is the largest country in Europe, an official EU candidate and is strategically important because of its position and natural resources.

3. EU and/or NATO members Finland, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania and Bulgaria see Russia's invasion of Ukraine as a critical threat to their own security.

4. The history of the 20th century tells us what happens when the world tries to appease an aggressor by sacrificing one country.

caseyedwards

1. Russia has shown exactly how dangerous it is by attacking a neighbour that it used to call a"brother" country, killing indiscriminately, committing all the war crimes in the book and turning whole cities into scorched earth.

2. Ukraine is the largest country in Europe, an official EU candidate and is strategically important because of its position and natural resources.

3. EU and/or NATO members Finland, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania and Bulgaria see Russia's invasion of Ukraine as a critical threat to their own security.

4. The history of the 20th century tells us what happens when the world tries to appease an aggressor by sacrificing one country.
I don’t support invading Russia to overthrow Putin like america did with Germany in world war 2. I don’t even believe america would have been right to invade Germany after it took over Austria or Czechoslovakia! You are saying the world should have united to invade Germany and overthrow hitler after he took over Austria? No way. Hitler could have Austria and Putin can have Ukraine. That’s not a threat. United States didn’t even care until Germany bombed England then it gave England some weapons. But it didn’t enter the war until Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. So I say unless america is threatened it’s not really worth invading Russia to overthrow Putin

There is no indication that this is going to happen at all.

Disagree.

You just don’t know what’s possible if defeat was truly imminent

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Noone is invading Russia. Russia has invaded Ukraine and other countries are supporting Ukraine to stop the invasion of their own country and to stop Russia's aggression before it spills elsewhere.
If you say Putin is Hitler everyone knows what happened to Hitler and Germany

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information