News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

Finnice

There has been explosions at the Nord Stream 2 Gas Pipeline at the Baltic Sea, near Denmark. It is likely to be the Russian terrorist attack.

Meanwhile, Finland is closing the Russian border for tourists tomorrow. People can still visit the families, though. We shall soon have many babushkas living here.

But as I said before, it is not an easy question.

text_skate

In a sign of the commingling of violence and corruption in Russia’s state security system, the camp in Vovchansk also served as a moneymaking enterprise, used to extort cash for its keepers, former inmates and Ukrainian investigators say.
Yaroslav Trofimov for WSJ (free link, for some time)
Russian FSB detention camp in Ukraine’s Vovchansk doubled up as a money-making venture. Wealthy Ukrainians could buy their freedom for $20,000. Penniless Sri Lankan students were kept in slavery, tortured and forced to clean toilets.
😢

Karen-W

Neither sexy nor sultry, but loving life!
Interesting piece in Atlantic by Phillips Payson O’Brien, it's about why the Ukrainians might win

snort This article is ridiculous. Referencing a TikTok video circulated by Cruz in 2021 and unwilling to cite exactly when Carlson railed against the "wokeness" of the US military, other than to state "last year" also, as the hypothesis for their opposition to the US government's billions of dollars in support of Ukraine in fighting what amounts to a proxy war with Russia, just to try and link them to Putin is pretty lazy and lame. It's sad, really, because the author didn't need to engage in the typical culture war bullshit to support the premise that the military which is best able to most quickly deploy more effective equipment with better trained personnel usually wins. That is all true, and none of what the Russian military has failed to do is really linked to Putin's push toward a homophobic, hyper-masculine society in Russia, but instead, it has far more to do with the corruption that is endemic to the country, and which he has profited off of handsomely. Does anyone really believe that a less homophobic Russia would be any less corrupt than it is? Does anyone really believe that homophobia is the reason why the Russian military has failed so spectacularly?

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
I have not read the article but homophobia is linked to a lot of things. Like not respecting people, not trusting in them to make their own life choices and to live and let live. Homophobic societies are therefore more rigid and less trustful of each other. That can have wide spread effects in all areas of life of course. :confused:

airgelaal

The longer this war drags on the clearer it becomes that it’s not just Putin. Russia has a lot of issues it needs to address with the lack of respect it shows to its neighbours
About russian relatives, who never reached out. They started showing up. And cry that their husbands/ sons/ grandchildren were taken into the army. They are very outraged that they do not hear words of sympathy from us. Wonder why...

hoptoad

About russian relatives, who never reached out. They started showing up. And cry that their husbands/ sons/ grandchildren were taken into the army. They are very outraged that they do not hear words of sympathy from us. Wonder why...
Can they hear themselves? They sound not just brainwashed, but brainless.
Heartless, anyway. :cry:

clairecloutier

Cachoo

Putin gave a speech today announcing his attempted "annexation" of some of the Eastern sections of Ukraine. I strongly suggest reading this thread, with excerpts of the speech, in its entirety:

Ukraine is officially applying today to join NATO. Which, considering the content of this speech, is not surprising.

Putin would love to put the USSR back together again. Fortunately their military appears to be a paper tiger. Unfortunately he still has nukes.

text_skate

Putin gave a speech today announcing his attempted "annexation" of some of the Eastern sections of Ukraine. I strongly suggest reading this thread, with excerpts of the speech, in its entirety:

Ukraine is officially applying today to join NATO. Which, considering the content of this speech, is not surprising.

It sounds like a declaration of war to the whole world.
Sadly I know people in my home town who admire Putin for his anti Western rants

Karen-W

Damn... Putin's speech is... I think I'll be avoiding Tucker Carlson's show tonight - he's been positing the theory, already this week, that the Nordstream 1 & 2 pipeline destruction wasn't at the hands of Russia, but instead done by the US military at Biden's behest. Regardless of whether that theory is right or wrong, Putin's so far off his rocker that I've got no use for any defense of him or claims that he's been pushed into these actions. The US used nuclear bombs once and that was enough to stop the world, dead in its tracks, and not use them again for nearly 80 years, and the last thing we need is Putin finding a way to justify using them now.

clairecloutier

If you don't realize we are likely in the beginning stages of a third global war, then I don't even know what to say.

I'm trying to keep some perspective here, and still need to think more about these developments, but increasingly that's how it feels.

There is a new article in The New Yorker where Fiona Hill posits exactly this, that WWIII may already have started. :eek:

Last edited:

Karen-W

If you don't realize we are likely in the beginning stages of a third global war, then I don't even know what to say.
I'm trying to keep some perspective here, and still need to think more about these developments, but that's increasingly that's how it feels.

There is a new article in The New Yorker where Fiona Hill posits exactly this, that WWIII may already have started. :eek:
It certainly feels that way, and it scares me to death. I don't want to imagine the West facing off against a Russo-Sino-Indian alliance with a bunch of other countries like North Korea and Iran supporting them, and a bunch of other countries sitting on the fence waiting to see which side wins.

clairecloutier

I keep thinking lately of this quote from Nadezhda Mandelstam's book (I think it was originally from Osip Mandelstam):

“The main feature of Russian history, something that never changes, is that every road always brings disaster—and not only to heroes. Survival is a matter of pure chance.”

Dobre

Ukraine's pocket around Lyman is tightening. (Lots of posts today saying that it has closed, mostly based--as far as I can tell--on this map posted by a Russian source, which shows a full circle of contested territory. I've also read a couple posts saying that the last road out is within Ukrainian firing range, and that there are maybe 2,000 Russian troops still in the Lyman area--as they were not permitted to retreat. Anyway, none of that is confirmed as far as I can tell, but worth watching).

----

Video of Zelensky signing an application for NATO membership today:

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
I posted an interview with Fiona Hill back on Feb. 28 in the Russia thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/russia.94054/page-35#post-6222064
"[Fiona] Hill spent many years studying history, and in our conversation, she repeatedly traced how long arcs and trends of European history are converging on Ukraine right now. We are already, she said, in the middle of a third World War, whether we’ve fully grasped it or not."
:(

caseyedwards

United states senate will be very close to unanimous on Ukraine in nato. Definitely 90 plus. The only questions are Hungary and Turkey. The vote has to be unanimous and it already is very close to unanimous

Karen-W

United states senate will be very close to unanimous on Ukraine in nato. Definitely 90 plus. The only questions are Hungary and Turkey. The vote has to be unanimous and it already is very close to unanimous
I don't see Hungary approving it. Erdogan might be persuaded, with enough "incentives," but I can't imagine the rest of Europe being able to offer enough to Orban to give Hungary's approval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information