News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

VGThuy

Russia is offering fast-track citizenship to foreigners who fight for it in Ukraine.

Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan are warning their nationals not to do this.

Aside from everything else, I wouldn't trust Russia to honor its word if the regime collapses.
Plus, looking at what they're offering...I mean...no thank you.

Vagabond

NPR is reporting that these reservists are former military personnel who have had no training since they were discharged, not active reservists of the kind found in the U.S. and other western countries. They are not battle-ready or even necessarily even immediately available for retraining.
So much for that! :rolleyes:

“It’s not a partial mobilisation, it’s a 100% mobilisation,” said Alexandra Garmazhapova, president of the Free Buryatia Foundation, an activist group that has reported on the draft in the region. In the past day, she said, she and her colleagues had received and identified more than 3,000 reports of povestka, or draft papers, being delivered in Buryatia within just 24 hours of Vladimir Putin announcing the draft.

Despite assurances that Russia would be seeking men who had recently served in the army and had combat experience, activists pointed to a number of cases of men in their 50s receiving draft notices.
I suspect that far more than 300,000 men have been called up. The burden is still falling most heavily on ethnic minorities, and The Guardian reports that protesters have been sent off to military duty as soon as they were arrested.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
March 12:
Olena, mother of 3 young children, on her YT channel yesterday - Day 16 WHY WE ARE NOT LEAVING KYIV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCFfH6Q_tHE

Olena's latest (very touching) video - Daddy comes home from war in Ukraine. And back to the army. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKyMBmthTOU
Premiered Sep 19, 2022 My husband is one of about a million men and women in Ukraine who defend Ukraine, its people and freedom from the terrorist state of russia. I wish them all to come back alive, safe and sound, forever, to their families. This happy day will come. Ukraine will win.

reut

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba at UN Security Council Meeting:

Loved his interview at "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert":

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love!
Now women without minor children must conscribe. We know because my husband’s sister (an e.r. doc in her mid 40s, with a child over 18) got the notice overnight. It’s for able-bodied men & women up to a certain age (60, I think) with professional knowledge that’s of use to the army…IT, medicine, mech engineering, etc. Nobody in Russia will be spared except for younger women who take care of their kids at home or pensioners. So, for ex, single women or women who choose to not have children must serve.
Source: WhatsApp two hours ago with my sister-in-law.

reut

The Institute for the Study of War gives a good summary to prospects of putin's mobilisation efforts:
https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-21
https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-september-22

A few quotes:

putin’s announcement of “partial mobilization” on September 21 reflected many problems Russia faces in its faltering invasion of Ukraine that Moscow is unlikely to be able to resolve in the coming months. putin’s order to mobilize part of Russia’s “trained” reserve, that is, individuals who have completed their mandatory conscript service, will not generate significant usable Russian combat power for months. It may suffice to sustain the current levels of Russian military manpower in 2023 by offsetting Russian casualties, although even that is not yet clear.

The Kremlin is openly not adhering to its promised conditions for partial mobilization just 24 hours after its September 21 declaration. Kremlin quotas will likely force local officials to mobilize men regardless of their military status. The quota for mobilized men remains unverifiable, with Kremlin officials claiming that Russia will mobilize only 300,000 men and Russian opposition outlets’ sources suggesting that the number might reach a million. The Kremlin will also likely mobilize ethnically non-Russian and immigrant communities at a disproportionate rate.

In general, a lot of focus is going on the number of men russia can/will mobilize, but in one of the discussions I saw someone quoting ru volunteer who asked for help for soldiers, listed multiple items which are needed and wrote something in the lines of "underwear, used one is good too". I mean, this is the situation now, in warm weather and with the current number of soldiers. So this makes me optimistic.

And I agree with comments above: now they suddenly go on protests? So this half a year everything was totally ok, wasn't it? This meme sums it up pretty well (this one is not bad either :D )

As for the prices to run from rushka skyrocketing and 3-4 days long lines on the borders, well, good luck to them. I feel for countries that will need to deal with them. Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are probably happy right now. :D
Israel is preparing for a huge wave of "runners" from russia, too.

Last edited:

reut

The story about Azov defenders being liberated from captivity absolutely blew my mind, I still can't believe it happened, truly a miracle.
Among them is Orest, the photographer whose incredible photos made him famous (and won him a few awards while he was in captivity! Just a few days ago I read that he won in photography competition in Paris and wondered whether he will ever be able to get this prize in person).
Here hе is with his family:

Here is a touching footage shared by the Security Service of Ukraine, the first moments of them stepping on their homeland:

I was away on short vacation, so still trying to get my mind around it and catch up on reports/news/explanations.

airgelaal

I would be worried only if it affected animals. They are definitely not to blame for being in Russia and definitely can't do anything about it.

airgelaal

Some of the ethnic minorities who seem to be facing 100% drafting can't do anything about Moscow's decision either.
And they don't try to do anything. And never tried. Of course, it is easier to die in disgrace in Ukraine than with pride at home.

Vagabond

The women being mobilized are mostly medics. According to The New York Times, many of those who anticipated being called up have fled to other countries. I do wonder how the regime intends to deal with a shortage of healthcare workers both in the military and on the home front.

Asli

And they don't try to do anything. And never tried. Of course, it is easier to die in disgrace in Ukraine than with pride at home.
Russia is no more home to someone from (for instance) Buryatia than it was home to Ukrainians right before independence. Now Putin may be using the war for ethnic cleansing. We'll have to watch and see. :(

airgelaal

Russia is no more home to someone from (for instance) Buryatia than it was home to Ukrainians right before independence. Now Putin may be using the war for ethnic cleansing. We'll have to watch and see. :(
What's the difference? Why don't they oppose putin in Buryatia? Are they afraid to die? And they are not afraid to die in Ukraine?
Forgive me, but I do not feel sorry for this obedient herd. Even in Iran now there are protests, but they are silent.

Dobre

"Ukraine's Armed Forces have established control over the village of Yatskivka in Donetsk Oblast and regained previously lost positions in the Bakhmut direction, General Staff reported on Sept. 23."

----

This came out a few days ago. UK intelligence believes Russia has moved its KILO-class submarines away from Crimea to southern Russia.

Dobre

The news of the torture and ill-treatment of the Azovstal prisoners who were just released has been coming out over the past couple days. This is one of the posts :cry::

"Mykhailo Dianov, a musician and a Ukrainian soldier recently released in a prisoner exchange. First photo — Mykhailo during the siege of Azovstal. Second photo — Mykhailo after Russian captivity."

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
yes, I do feel for them. there are so many lives that Putin has impacted in the worst possible way.

and I wish that people in Russia will protest as much as the brave people in Iran:

synian

That's the way they've established in 2014, less open threats back then, but with machine guns next to the ballot box
In France. Journalistes are saying that this is also a way to record how many people who are leaving here (in each house) how many they can request to get in the russian army to force them to fight against ukrainian …

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information