News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

Vagabond

Although it is still considered unlikely, it is now possible to imagine that continued Ukrainian successes could lead to the collapse of Russian morale and ability to fight, Mr. Muzyka, the Rochan Consulting analyst, wrote on Monday.

“It is no longer science fiction to think that the war will end in a matter of weeks, months, and not years,” Mr. Musyka wrote.

The link will work for two weeks.

☮️ 4 🇺🇦 🕊️

babayaga

As expected, moscovites started to protest: https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1572626157681672194
I have zero respect for them, they didn't care when Buryats and Ukrainians were killing each other, but now this is getting uncomfortable for them.
But I will take it, the protests are good for us and will make the end of the war closer I hope. They probably don't even mind going to jail that much now and "having their lives ruined", better than being torn to pieces in Ukrainian soil.

Sylvia

Rooting for underdogs!
If Russia claims, after controversial referendums, that more parts of Ukraine have joined Russia it may then also claim that Russia itself is under Nato attack.
Kyiv and Western leaders see the "referendums" as disguise for a Russian land grab. US Ambassador to Ukraine Bridget Brink said "sham referenda" and mobilisation were signs of Russian weakness.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte called Mr Putin's military move "a sign of panic".
"His rhetoric on nuclear weapons is something we have heard many times before," he said, adding that it left him untroubled.
Other Western politicians have also played down any threat of nuclear escalation.
Reports of panic spreading among Russians soon flooded social networks. Anti-war groups said the limited airplane tickets out of Russia reached enormous prices due to high demand and swiftly became unavailable.
Some postings alleged people already had been turned back from Russia’s land border with Georgia and that the website of the state Russian railway company collapsed because too many people were checking for ways out of the country.
Social networks in Russian also surged with advice on how to avoid the mobilization or leave the country.
Russian officials sought to calm the public, stressing that the call-up would affect a limited number of people fitting certain criteria. However, conflicting statements and a lack of details helped fuel the panic.
Serbia’s capital, Belgrade, has become a popular destination for Russians during the war. Up to 50,000 Russians have fled to Serbia since Russia invaded Ukraine and many opened businesses, especially in the IT sector.
Russians don’t need visas to enter Serbia, which has not joined Western sanctions against Russia for its aggression in Ukraine. Allies such as Belarus and China also have not imposed sanctions.
A Wednesday flight from Moscow to Belgrade was packed with young Russian men who said they could not speak to reporters because they feared negative repercussions for the families they left behind.
An elderly Russian woman, who identified herself as Yulia, said she, too, was afraid “my government and police” might see her remarks.
“But I want to say, ‘Freedom for Ukraine.’ Please, somebody stop Putin,” she said.

Asli

As expected, moscovites started to protest: https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1572626157681672194
I have zero respect for them, they didn't care when Buryats and Ukrainians were killing each other, but now this is getting uncomfortable for them.
But I will take it, the protests are good for us and will make the end of the war closer I hope. They probably don't even mind going to jail that much now and "having their lives ruined", better than being torn to pieces in Ukrainian soil.

There were quite a few "No War" protests bigger than this one in the beginning of the occupation, but not enough obviously.

alexikeguchi

Maybe St. Petersburg can stage a referendum on becoming part of Finland...

Dobre

IMHO the worst escalation is by Russia deciding to annex Donbass through the referendums in Donetsk and Lugansk. When this happens, as far as Russia is concerned the war will be taking place in Russian territory. Could this affect the help the Ukrainian army gets from Europe and the USA? Upto now they have been adamant that their weapons shouldn't be used on Russian soil.

Of course "Russian territory" is within the scope of the nuclear deterrent. :scream:
No, USA seems very clear that this is a sham referendum.

"Fake referendums and mobilization are signs of Russian weakness and failure, U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Bridget Brink said, stressing that the U.S. would never recognize Russia's claims to supposedly annexed Ukrainian territory.

"Sham referenda and mobilization are signs of weakness, of Russian failure. The United States will never recognize Russia's claim to purportedly annexed Ukrainian territory, and we will continue to stand with Ukraine for as long as it takes," Brink said on Twitter on Wednesday.

millyskate

I’m with Asli - everyone will speak of sham referendums but this will complicate things.

Incredible but surprising news regarding the prisoner release. And now we know why the prince of Saudi Arabia was invited to the Queen’s funeral two days ago… ( in the end he didn’t turn up after a public outcry but was a surprise inclusion on the guest list)

Finnice

Maybe St. Petersburg can stage a referendum on becoming part of Finland...
No thanks! And I am not happy because the Russians can still fly to other countries via Finland. The parliament is discussing about cancelling their visas, but there are some people against it. I, of course, would love to help all the anti-Putinists to get away from Russia, but not them, who support him or might even be a danger to other countries.

Vagabond

.... or
Recruiting 300.000 reservists. :( That will hurt obviously.
NPR is reporting that these reservists are former military personnel who have had no training since they were discharged, not active reservists of the kind found in the U.S. and other western countries. They are not battle-ready or even necessarily even immediately available for retraining.

Of course, Russia could throw them into the conflict as soon as they report for duty. That is what they have been doing with the troops they already have.

Asli

NPR is reporting that these reservists are former military personnel who have had no training since they were discharged, not active reservists of the kind found in the U.S. and other western countries. They are not battle-ready or even necessarily even immediately available for retraining.
From the Minister of Defence's statement it doesn't sound like there is an intermediate category between these reservists and the professional soldiers/contractors who have already been deployed and well, are no longer available.

OTOH Ukrainians from all walks of life are fighting, with or without training.

Last edited:

Vagabond

OTOH Ukrainians from all walks of life are fighting, with or without training.
Meanwhile, Russians from all walks of life are fleeing rather than training.

(Gifted articles, link valid for two weeks.)

Aleksandr, a 37-year-old executive manager from Moscow, didn’t finish listening to Mr. Putin’s announcement on Wednesday. Instead, he started packing. Minutes later, he left his apartment and drove to the airport, looking for available tickets en route.

There were already none available for his preferred destinations, such as Istanbul, so he opted for Namangan, Uzbekistan, a city he had never heard of....

The tour guide, who is a reservist, said he had already arranged a temporary place to stay in Istanbul and that he hoped to improve his English and possibly work as a tour guide in Turkey.

A merchant mariner who gave his name only as Dmitriy, 26, said he would wait in Turkey until he found a new ship to work on. As soon as he had heard the news, “I decided that I needed to leave now,” he said.

reut

This performance of the 8 y.o. girl from Ukraine was really touching. I couldn't understand most of what was said, but it made me cry...

This video was shared by a friend and he wrote: "I think all Ukrainian children deserve this golden buzzer, it was for all of them".

reut

No thanks! And I am not happy because the Russians can still fly to other countries via Finland. The parliament is discussing about cancelling their visas, but there are some people against it. I, of course, would love to help all the anti-Putinists to get away from Russia, but not them, who support him or might even be a danger to other countries.
I think they will re-think their decision pretty soon. I understand the lines on the border are crazy, and then, who would want them all in their country anyway. I doubt all these huge numbers of fleeing men will find work or even try to find work, and definitely not legally, so I expect crime levels to be up soon...

clairecloutier

Putin is reportedly issuing direct orders to generals in Ukraine, according to this article.

It often seems to come to this in failing dictatorships ....

Vagabond

Russia is offering fast-track citizenship to foreigners who fight for it in Ukraine.

Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan are warning their nationals not to do this.

Aside from everything else, I wouldn't trust Russia to honor its word if the regime collapses.

Vagabond

Probably Dagestanis see the State only in the form of the tax officer and the conscription officer. Nothing else.
The woman on the porch was probably a school teacher. School teachers were tasked with notifying men that they had been conscripted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information