News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

Asli

Oleksandr Shyshkov, the coach and president of the children's football club "Atletik", was killed by a rocket attack on Serhiyivka, Odesa region. My mother knew him well. He coached the kids at the stadium near the place where she worked. He arrived from Odesa earlier, the next day the children were supposed to arrive and prepare for the competition.
The Russians declared that it was all a performance with the participation of actors.
This is heartbreaking.
I'm sorry for your mother too, her having to comprehend another senseless death! :wall:

Dobre

So Kasparov thinks this is a big deal:

"Important not to miss this story, especially for those who say sanctions on Russia aren't working. It's a slow process, but Putin is running out of material, time, and excuses. Next comes labor, and Russians will have to choose between Putin and peace."

"The Kremlin proposed an amendment to federal laws on Russian Armed Forces supply matters to the Russian State Duma on June 30 introducing 'special measures in the economic sphere' obliging Russian businesses (regardless of ownership) to supply Russian special military operations. The amendment would prohibit Russian businesses from refusing to accept state orders for special military operations and allow the Kremlin to change employee contracts and work conditions, such as forcing workers to work during the night or on federal holidays. The Kremlin's amendment noted that the ongoing special military operation in Ukraine exposed supply shortages, specifically materials needed to repair military equipment, and stated that Russian officials need to 'concentrate their efforts in certain sectors of the economy.' In other words, Russian President Vladimir Putin is likely mobilizing the Russian economy and industry to sustain the ongoing war effort but has not yet taken parallel measures to mobilize Russian manpower on a large scale."

Dobre

"It has now been 76 days since the Russians launched the Battle of the Dohnbas. This would make it one of the longest major battles in the 20th and 21st centuries. Many times longer than Kursk,e Bagration Normandy, Bulge, etc. Its much closer to WWI (Somme, Passchendale, Verdun)"

(This is actually the start of a long & optimistic thread if you need some optimism).

Meoima

Breaking: Russ Ministry of Defence claims Kyiv fired Tochka ballistic missiles w cluster munitions on residential districts in Kursk and Belgorod overnight. Claim is absurd to anyone 1/2 serious or interested in truth. But I do worry Moscow talking itself into another escalation. MoD now says air defence intercepted the missiles. Still, to suggest Ukraine used scarce (near-zero) supplies of Tochka on anything other than a verified military target — and inside Russia — is, to put it mildly, creative.

Dobre

"One of four Russian bases in Melitopol hit, another heavy blast in Belgorod, another large depot destroyed in Popasna. It’s a daily, organized campaign to wipe out Russian military infrastructure and undermine its immediate war effort in Ukraine. We did not have this before."

"The AFU (Armed Forces of Ukraine) destroyed the railway bridge between Melitopol and Tokmak which occupiers used for ammunition and weapons supplies."

"Mayor of Melitopol Fedorov: "The Melitopol airfield as a military base of the Rashists no longer exists: from 3 in the morning after the 1st shelling they began to evacuate the personnel, after the 2nd shelling at 6 in the morning - the equipment that survived"

Meoima

Ukrainian forces likely conducted a deliberate withdrawal from Lysychansk, resulting in the Russian seizure of the city on July 2. Geolocated footage showed Russian forces casually walking around northern and southeastern neighborhoods in Lysychansk in a way that suggests that there are few or no remaining Ukrainian forces in the city as of July 2. Ukrainian military officials did not publicly announce a troop withdrawal but neither did they report on defensive battles around Lysychansk. Ukrainian Internal Affairs Minister Vadym Denysenko vaguely noted that Russian forces have a “high probability” of capturing Lysychansk but that they will have a difficult time advancing in Donetsk Oblast past Slovyansk and Kramatorsk.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
"One of four Russian bases in Melitopol hit, another heavy blast in Belgorod, another large depot destroyed in Popasna. It’s a daily, organized campaign to wipe out Russian military infrastructure and undermine its immediate war effort in Ukraine. We did not have this before."

"The AFU (Armed Forces of Ukraine) destroyed the railway bridge between Melitopol and Tokmak which occupiers used for ammunition and weapons supplies."

"Mayor of Melitopol Fedorov: "The Melitopol airfield as a military base of the Rashists no longer exists: from 3 in the morning after the 1st shelling they began to evacuate the personnel, after the 2nd shelling at 6 in the morning - the equipment that survived"
Watching news this morning, all we heard was about the invaders taking over Lysychansk. Seems the media here in the U.S. never hear about the scope of Ukrainian efforts to repel them.

Dobre

"Ukraine in talks with Turkey, UN on grain exports from seaports blocked by Russia. Zelensky said at a joint briefing with Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson that third parties other than Russia should guarantee the safety of grain exports."

Well, I think that's true; but how is that to be done? Does he have ideas? Does anyone have ideas? I'm sure Russia will have a cow about whatever ideas are suggested, but ignoring them, what ideas are practical here? It's already July.

babayaga

"Ukraine in talks with Turkey, UN on grain exports from seaports blocked by Russia. Zelensky said at a joint briefing with Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson that third parties other than Russia should guarantee the safety of grain exports."

Well, I think that's true; but how is that to be done? Does he have ideas? Does anyone have ideas? I'm sure Russia will have a cow about whatever ideas are suggested, but ignoring them, what ideas are practical here? It's already July.
I don't know how this will work, but I think several countries are working on a land route to transport grains from Ukraine. I read Poland is building a large storage facility near its border with Ukraine. I also heard discussions about using rivers to transport some of the grains.

Dobre

I don't know how this will work, but I think several countries are working on a land route to transport grains from Ukraine. I read Poland is building a large storage facility near its border with Ukraine. I also heard discussions about using rivers to transport some of the grains.
I read that Ukraine's roads are not up to the transport. Maybe a lot could be hauled by barge or rail, as you've suggested? I wouldn't think that would be comparable. Better some than none though.
If Turkey were to close the Bosporus to ships carrying stolen Ukrainian agricultural products, it would stop the problem.
It might stop most of the stealing, but would it guarantee the grain was transported out? (Russia is so stubborn. Putin could have made plenty of better decisions for Russia's own good but has not done it. And he doesn't need this Ukrainian grain. He's fine with letting it rot). Anyway, I assume Russia does need access to the Black Sea itself. There may indeed by some leverage there that other countries can use?

text_skate

Asli

If Turkey were to close the Bosporus to ships carrying stolen Ukrainian agricultural products, it would stop the problem. Russia needs access to the Mediterranean just as much as Ukraine does
Turkey doesn't have the right to close the Bosphorus to any civilian commercial ships.

The Bosphorus and Dardanelles are controlled by the Montreux Convention. Turkey can only implement what is dictated by that convention and can't take any decisions to the contrary.

This is also valid for Russian warships. Turkey doesn't have the right to let them pass during wartime but still gets credit as if this were it's own decision. I shouldn't complain, I guess. :shuffle:

Asli

If the cargo of a ship were reported as stolen, customs police might have to stop it and check it. However, apparently Russia is taking pains to transport the grain from one place to another and mixing it with Russian grain so that the trail is lost. It must be impossible to prove that a cargo of grain was stolen. 🙁

text_skate

Four mathematicians have been awarded prestigious Fields medals, including Ukrainian Maryna Viazovska, the International Mathematical Union jury said on July 5. Viazovska is only the second woman to win the prize, considered the equivalent of a Nobel Prize for mathematics. Maryna Viazovska works on packing spheres, at ETH Lausanne.

Asli

Four mathematicians have been awarded prestigious Fields medals, including Ukrainian Maryna Viazovska, the International Mathematical Union jury said on July 5. Viazovska is only the second woman to win the prize, considered the equivalent of a Nobel Prize for mathematics. Maryna Viazovska works on packing spheres, at ETH Lausanne.

Wow! Congratulations to Maryna Viazovska! :cheer2:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
AP says Russia may have taken the Luhansk province but at great cost to their resources:

I am seeing lots of stories like this now.

Dobre

Aw, these puppies were found in the rubble of a destroyed building. They were protecting a litter of kittens.

----

"Russia withdraws troops from the Finnish border as Finland is completing all the paperwork to join NATO."

----

"Six enemy missiles flying in the morning across the #Dnepropetrovsk region were shot down by air defense forces."
(It may just be my impression, but it seems like these new air defense systems are intercepting a much higher ratio of missiles than previously).

----

"Russian proxies seize 2 foreign ships in Mariupol. Russian proxies in Donetsk Oblast forcibly appropriated Panama-flagged Blue Star I and Liberia-flagged Smarta Shipping without compensation, rendering them “state property,” according to letters obtained by Reuters.

This is the first time commercial ships have been seized. More than 80 foreign vessels are estimated to be stuck at Ukrainian ports due to Russian aggression."

----

"Russia reportedly preparing mobilization in occupied Berdiansk. According to the National Resistance Center, a Ukrainian government website, Russia started preparing to forcibly conscript men into the Russian Armed Forces in occupied Berdiansk, Zaporizhzhia Oblast."

"The center added that the pace of illegal mobilization is increasing in occupied Luhansk, where recently all men working at a local meat processing plant and a culture academy have been conscripted."

----

"In a joint statement on July 5, the U.S. and 34 countries called for the suspension of Russian and Belarusian national sporting bodies and individuals from international sports federations."

Meoima

Over 40 countries and international organizations signed the Lugano Declaration on July 5, committing to support war-torn Ukraine in what is estimated to be a $750 billion rebuild.

France to help reconstruct Chernihiv Oblast. The French Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying it will complement its ongoing assistance to Ukraine with a focus on reconstructing Chernihiv Oblast, with which it has “ancient ties.”

I spoke today with a long-time Ukrainian soldier & contact who's been in Donbas since 2014; he's now in a leadership role. He was wounded by 82mm mortar days ago & hospitalized. 2 pieces of shrapnel remain stuck in him. He confirmed Ukrainian forces are suffering huge casualties. Three weeks ago, he had 60 soldiers in his unit north of Popasna. Today he has 20; 40 have been KIA or WIA; 3 KIA last week. They were nearly caught in the kettle as Russian forces captured Severo & Lysychansk; they've been pushed 30+ miles east from their original positions. They haven't gotten any new Western weapons or ammo & rely on Ukraine's Soviet-era stockpile which is running dangerously low. But there's been some success — they shot down a Russian Ka-52 with an Igla 2 weeks ago. But another returned to shoot up their position the next day. He said Russian tanks & artillery are the biggest problems facing them; the number of tanks & artillery barrages hitting them is crazy & the amount of Western aid being given right now is not going to be enough to turn the tide in Ukraine's favor. "We need more, more, more." He said morale is falling and the loss of Luhansk Oblast has been demoralizing. His company has been at the frontline in the Donbas since well before Feb. 24 and not had a break. Only the wounded get a break, he said.

Latest Ukrainian civilian casualty figures from the United Nations (Feb 24 - July 3): 4,889 killed and 6,263 injured because of Russia's invasion. "Actual figures are significantly higher." June stats for the Donbas are in the screenshot below.

Ukraine will fund the bulk of its post-war recovery with wealth that Western powers are confiscating from Russia’s oligarchs, according to its prime minister. But for some of Kyiv’s allies — such as Switzerland — that’s easier said than done.
“The right of ownership, the right of property is a fundamental right,” Switzerland’s president, Ignazio Cassis, said during a press conference Tuesday alongside Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal after two days of high-level talks about Ukraine’s reconstruction in the Swiss city of Lugano. “Of course, we can violate fundamental law. But we have to create the legal base.”Ukraine will fund the bulk of its post-war recovery with wealth that Western powers are confiscating from Russia’s oligarchs, according to its prime minister. But for some of Kyiv’s allies — such as Switzerland — that’s easier said than done.
“The right of ownership, the right of property is a fundamental right,” Switzerland’s president, Ignazio Cassis, said during a press conference Tuesday alongside Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal after two days of high-level talks about Ukraine’s reconstruction in the Swiss city of Lugano. “Of course, we can violate fundamental law. But we have to create the legal base.”
Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/funding-ukraines-recovery-with-russian-riches-raises-legal-headache/

Dobre

I'm not familiar with this poster.

"Ukrainian artillery has been hitting occupied Kherson today. Explosions and fire visible near the railway station."

Does this mean the railway station in the city of Kherson, do you think? The video link does not play for me. Anyway, let us know if you see any confirmation of this elsewhere.

----

"At the press conference following the NATO summit in Madrid, @POTUS said that the US and Western countries would not insure oil tankers carrying Russian oil.

----

"Russian court suspended work of Caspian Pipeline Consortium for 30 days, that used for oil supplies to EU. The court cites non-compliance with environmental requirements as the reason. CPC's problems began after Kazakhstan's public refusal to recognize so-called "DPR" and "LPR"."

(Am I to understand this is a Kazakh-owned company that is plausibly being strong-armed here? Another post says that WW2 mines were found near the pipeline's "water area?" in June)
----

Lithuania has allocated 10 million euros for Ukraine's restoration.

----

Ireland's prime minister is in Ukraine today:

----

"Lieutenant-General Sergei Umnov, an aide to the head of the #Russian Interior Ministry, has been detained by the #FSB as part of a case of abuse of office. He is accused of extorting 'donations' from businessmen to a fund from which money was spent uncontrollably."

Dobre

Ugh.

Russian Army Turns Ukraine’s Largest Nuclear Plant Into a Military Base​

Land mines and missile launchers are deployed at Zaporizhzhia, as cameras and instruments go dark and workers are held for ransom

----

"Head of the Office of the President of #Ukraine Andriy Yermak said that due to sanctions, Rosneft's major project in the Arctic, Vostok Oil, was stopped. Its cost is estimated at 70 billion euros."

----

"More than 21,000 war crimes committed by Russians are now being investigated by #Ukrainian authorities. This was stated by the Prosecutor General of the country Irina Venediktova. Venediktova's office, she said, receives reports of 200-300 such crimes daily."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information