News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

text_skate

Another ‘open letter’ from what we call intellectuals from German, on the Ukraine war which calls for negotiations and peace.

I have no idea how big these names are though, seem like many elites? They are like “This war really should end, and the west should push for negotiations”. But how to do that?

Source: https://www.zeit.de/2022/27/ukraine-krieg-frieden-waffenstillstand?utm_referrer=https://t.co/
I don't understand them, they propose a position without telling, how it can work. Imo they lack any understanding of Ukrainian situation, a total lack of empathy.
What I can't understand is a statement like "the longer the war drags on / the measures to support Ukraine, the lesser / the unclearer the aims become, what is there to achieve. They presuppose that Ukriane can't win the war against Russia. They don't want to take into account, what Russia does in the territories she occupies. I'm disgusted by these (unfortunately) very well known figures (They meet the term elite). Sadly so, I've read in different newspapers comments like that: Aims of this war are unclear. What are the aims of Russia (don't these people read newpaper or read Puntin's outpourings about Russian greatness, which should be granted to all countries from Alaska to Lisbon?) What are the goals of USA?

BTW: Not all are Germans. Jeffrey Sachs for instance knows Eastern Europe well (although I think, he never understood theses countries well enough), he helped transition after communist rule. He "invented" coupon privatization (which caused a lot of harm).

reut

Kharkiv is under constant shelling. Just this last night there were six as they call them "arrivals". Almost every day there are injured and dead, children among them... I feel the world and media got used to this, Kharkiv is not making news. That's why I was especially grateful when I learned about and then watched "Channel 4" documentary "Ukraine: Life Under Attack" about what they call "Kharkiv Blitz", which is a very accurate description I think, especially when used by Brits.

You can watch it here. And I encourage you to do it. It is moving, heartbreaking and kind, it's not very long and, of course, they can't and don't try to cover everything that has happened during these months in the city, it's more like a mosaic of certain people, civilians and emergency workers, they meet and follow for 10 weeks. Documentary is narrated by Cate Blanchett, hearing her familiar voice saying toponyms like "Saltivka" or "Barabashova" felt quite surreal...

Last edited:

Dobre

"Exports to Russia from China, a key trade partner and supplier of military inputs, have fallen by 38 percent post-invasion, as Chinese firms are unwilling to risk incurring retaliatory measures for sanctions busting."

Last edited:

reut

Whoa. Let me know if this is confirmed by a second source.
I see it mentioned in various Ukrainian sources:
https://www.unn.com.ua/uk/news/1983620-rosiyani-vnochi-pospikhom-zalishili-ostriv-zmiyiniy-ok-pivden
https://lb.ua/society/2022/06/30/521694_rosiyani_pospihom_evakuyuvalis_z.html
Also confirmed here by Serhii Bratchuk, the speaker of the Odesa regional military administration.

Update: from Operational Command "South", official announcement from about an hour ago.

"During the night, as a result of another successful stage of the military operation with fire strikes by our missile and artillery units on the Snake Island, the opponent hurriedly evacuated the remains of the garrison with two speed boats and and probably left the island. Currently, the snake is covered in fire, explosions are bursting.
The final results of the operation are being found out."

Last edited:

Asli

Chances are the final result will be a come back to the original "f*ck you Russia" 😎
An opportunity for a new stamp! 😀

Seriously, I had read statements from military analysts saying that this island had great strategic importance for controlling sea traffic.

To someone who knows nothing about the subject, the sea looks big enough for ships to pass elsewhere 😉 but I hope they are right.

Last edited:

babayaga

An opportunity for a new stamp! 😀

Seriously, I had read statements from military analysts saying that this island had great strategic importance for controlling sea traffic.

To someone who knows nothing about the subject, the sea looks big enough for ships to pass elsewhere 😉 but I hope they are right.
The funniest part is the announcement of withdrawal from the russians themselves. Their defense ministry said they are leaving the island as a sign of "good will" :biggrinbo I think they used the same wording when they were fleeing Kiyv region :)

ETA: here is a short video of the announcement: https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1542452001212170241

Last edited:

DORISPULASKI

Watching submarine races
Paula Slater is doing a series of interviews with Ukrainian skaters, focussing on the effects of war on their lives and careers.

The first is about Ukrainian skater Anastasia Gozhva which includes this quote:

“Fortunately, my relatives were able to get out alive, unlike my friends, who were shot by Russian soldiers in their own car,” said Gozhva. “These events did not go unnoticed in animals as my dog turned gray from the explosions.”

She had relatives in Bucha.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Anyway... I didn't know The Beatles were MI6. Putin's propaganda campaign going in strange directions.
Ringo concealed microfilm in his drumsticks, John and Paul concealed coded messages in the chord progressions. /s

Asli

The funniest part is the announcement of withdrawal from the russians themselves. Their defense ministry said they are leaving the island as a sign of "good will" :biggrinbo I think they used the same wording when they were fleeing Kiyv region :)

ETA: here is a short video of the announcement: https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1542452001212170241

Russia has seriously damaged the myth of its military power by not being able to keep hold of that little piece of rock. It's not for lack of trying hard, either. Well-done you all! 🇺🇦

Last edited:

Meoima

ATHENS — The human rights organization Amnesty International says Russia committed a war crime by bombing a theater where hundreds of civilians were sheltering during the March siege of Mariupol, the southern Ukrainian port city that Russian troops destroyed and now occupy.
The strike killed at least a dozen people. Russia blocked Amnesty's Crisis Response Team from entering Mariupol so researchers interviewed survivors in other parts of Ukraine, examined satellite data and hired a physicist to model the detonation.
Source https://www.npr.org/2022/06/30/1108931813/russia-ukraine-mariupol-theater-war-crime?t=1656608149234

"Russian authorities tried to muddy the waters by claiming that this was a Ukrainian attack. And I think we've clearly disproved that" - Joanne Mariner

Found this curious opinion on a pro-Russian source on why mobilisation in Russia isn't happening (because it will lead to tectonic changes in society similar to 19th and early 20th century movement).

WATCH: One Russian regiment's war in Ukraine uncovered. We reported on the 331st Guards Parachute Regiment's first weeks of battle, now we follow up with their fighting in the Donbas + official campaign to bolster support in their hometown, Kostroma.
Video https://youtu.be/9jrS1xpbNFA

Invaders (in this case DPR soldiers) are paying $20,000 to be "demobilised" from the war, this is evidenced from the intercepted call between a DPR man and his son. Unsurprisingly, this is too much money for the men, so they considered selling a car.

Meoima

19 killed, 38 wounded from Russia's night missile strike on residential building in Odesa Oblast.
"All efforts of Ukraine law enforcement and intel are on identifying Russian commanders who gave criminal order to hit residential area" - Yevhen Yenin, 1st Dep Interior Minister

Russian state propaganda has started spreading the idea that the Russian Army should invade Lithuania and capture the Suwalki Gap that is separating Kaliningrad from Belarus.

BREAKING: The European Commission has been pushing Lithuania, on behalf of Berlin, for 2 weeks to lift the Kaliningrad blockade, but Lithuania hasn’t budged so far The pressure stems from Berlin’s fears of escalation according to Spiegel. Berlin wants a solution before July 10. Here is a translation of Spiegel’s article about how Brussels and Berlin are trying to pressure Lithuania into backing out of enforcing the EU sanctions on transit of certain Russian goods that the EU passed weeks ago.

12 year old Sasha Kuznetsov survived the bombing of Mariupol drama theater but lost his mom there. He doesn't have a father or any other family, so Russian attack left him an orphan. Nurse Elena who also stayed in the theater, decided to adopt Sasha. Listen to Sasha's story.

Meoima

Ukraine filed a case to the ICJ which shows that Russia justified aggression by invoking a fake genocide in Donbas Russia's genocide allegations against Ukraine ironically are a potential violation of the Genocide Convention. That is Ukraine's case.

BREAKING: Culture of Ukrainian borscht cooking inscribed on the List of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Need of Urgent Safeguarding. This #IntangibleHeritage is threatened by the fragmentation of communities due to war but is a symbol of hope for them.

Over the month of June Russia increased the area of land they control in Ukraine by approximately 1,500 km². This equates to a total of 19.2% of Ukraine being occupied, a 0.3% increase since the end of May. The most strategically significant change has been the capture of Severodonetsk and the advances south of Lysychansk. The other area Russia increased control was securing control of the Kinburn Peninsula. Roughly 8% of Ukraine was occupied by Russia (in part by DNR and LNR) prior to the February invasion. Also worth noting that 1 week into the invasion Russia had occupied 22% of Ukraine, though much less securely than what it holds today. Russian forces continued advances to the north and west of Lysychansk, capturing the settlement of Shypylivka. If Russian capture Bilohorivka and Zolotarivka they will cut the last route out to Sivers'k for any Ukranian forces remaining in the Lysychansk salient.

Dobre

"Ukraine’s Finance Ministry announced on July 1 that it received the 1-billion-euro grant promised by Germany on June 25, which will be used to 'finance priority social and humanitarian expenditures during martial law.'"

Meoima

Rosgvardia’s elite 604th Special Purpose Center’s Vityaz unit is reportedly allowing volunteers to sign up for 3-month contracts to fight in Ukraine. Volunteers will go through a 3-week training plan before deploying. This is Rosgvardia's most elite unit. The fact that they're accepting and deploying volunteers after only three weeks of training demonstrates how serious the manpower issue is. It also shows that many Russian units will have a mix of professionals and reservists/volunteers. Keep in mind that the Vityaz unit sustained a number of KIA at the beginning of the war. Presumably, they'll try to recruit former Rosgvardia spetsnaz or SOBR members first. Not clear if they would be willing to take on people with less experience. Reportedly, an add for volunteers who want to sign a short-term contract with Rosgvardia's 604th Special Purpose Centers' Vityaz unit to fight in Ukraine.

New: Russia is increasing attacks on Ukrainian arms depots but in response, Ukraine is dispersing & decentralizing its weapons arsenal across an array of warehouses in an effort to lessen the losses caused by any one Russian strike, per US officials

The new 100-ruble banknote introduced today by Russia's Central Bank, featuring the Soviet Soldier Memorial, cannot be introduced into circulation as ATMs & cash registers cannot be updated to recognise new notes due to sanctions. 100% of Russia's cash registers are imported.

The West has talked a lot about sanctions on Russia’s defense industry. We examined the companies, executives and investors fueling the war and found nearly three dozen arms tycoons and at least a dozen weapons firms haven’t been penalized. Among those who have been spared by the US/EU/UK: Alan Lushnikov, the major shareholder of the Kalashnikov Concern, which makes 95% of Russia’s machine guns, sniper rifles, pistols/other handheld firearms. Also unsanctioned is Yan Novikov, CEO of Almaz-Antey, the maker of Kalibr long-range missiles that Russia claimed killed more than 50 Ukrainian generals and officers in a strike last month. We also found that sanctions on Russia’s weapons companies and tycoons have been applied inconsistently by US, EU and UK, with some governments levying penalties and others not. Russian weapons firm KBM, primary manufacturer of the type of missile used in a deadly April train station strike in eastern Ukraine, has been sanctioned by the United States, but not the EU and UK. Same with fighter jet maker PJSC Tupolev, whose bombers were purportedly linked to a Monday missile strike at a crowded shopping center in Ukraine, which killed at least 18 people and injured about 60. Tupolev was just sanctioned by the US this week. No sanctions from EU/UK. One of the highest-profile Russian firms to escape sanctions is VSMPO-Avisma Corp, the world’s largest titanium supplier. It supplies titanium to the Russian military, but also Western aerospace firms like Airbus.
From https://twitter.com/c_kirkham/status/1542934700531912704

The Russia-Ukraine war is now cutting through much of the nonsense that dominated the discussion of international power politics, posing particular challenges to blasé assumptions about what makes a state powerful, and what makes a country’s leadership effective. This reassessment doesn’t just concern the question of debatable prewar military analysis of Russia and Ukraine, or theories of international relations. Instead, it is aimed at the whole way we think about how countries interact with one another, about national power, and about leadership.

airgelaal

Oleksandr Shyshkov, the coach and president of the children's football club "Atletik", was killed by a rocket attack on Serhiyivka, Odesa region. My mother knew him well. He coached the kids at the stadium near the place where she worked. He arrived from Odesa earlier, the next day the children were supposed to arrive and prepare for the competition.
The Russians declared that it was all a performance with the participation of actors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information