News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

Nadya

Damn! We were there for the Friday morning concert, were you? We could have debated Ukraine over a late lunch.

We were in the third row, I’ve never seen a virtuoso pianist so close. It was amazing.

I had no problem listening to the music of long-dead composers played by an American orchestra with a Japanese guest conductor. But then I can listen to Wagner, who was personally culpable.

BTW, Vilnius was Lithuanian long before it was Polish, the two countries were in a powerful commonwealth for a long time.
Yes! Friday morning. I'm so sorry I missed you, it would have been great to catch up!! We were in row X, I think. The pianist was awesome. My son commented his hands were moving "even faster than I can move mine randomly" :) And the conductor was having such fun!!

I personally struggle somewhat drawing the line between artistic accomplishment and personal failings. Theoretically, I think, one ought to be able to enjoy creative works without necessarily getting concerned about personal philosophies of people who created them. Like, a beautiful cathedral is a beautiful cathedral even if designed and built by a child molester (I'm making this up), no? I mean it's common knowledge that both Tolstoy and Tchaikovsky were unmitigated assholes to their wives. So was Somerset Maugham, who I adore. It's difficult. That knowledge sits in the back of the mind.

Last edited:

Nadya

Where I come from people curse US presidents all the time. When I was in high school and college, no one ever praised Bush. In fact I would say it is difficult to find any US presidents who could be less hated here. I still remember my strong hatred towards Bush and it is justified.

People should stop saying the hatred towards Putin and goons' atrocities is just the result of "Western propaganda". There are human beings who do not live off Western news.

It's just simple as this: You commit crimes, we criticize you and hate you all the same, regardless of which governments. Many of my friends who criticize the US non-stop also bash Russia in this war.

Personally I have seen many old people who studied under Soviet regime living here and turn against Putin and co because they have a clear conscience.

BTW... about the KGB background, personally I know a Russian lady whose father was in KGB. All she knows is that after she ran away from the country, the "special servicemen" still visit her family annually and ask her to become their spy.

No, they are all hated all the same, and you know it. The global community did not display anywhere the same hatred toward the US when it invaded Iraq and later Libya. And certainly, the response of the global institutions has been nil. But then, the "rules-based world order" is always kinder to countries that write these rules.

How do you think the CIA cultivates assets? Run an annual open house at Langley?

Nadya

Has Germany asked to have returned part of Poland in return? :confused:

Should we go back to maybe 1276 and look what the country distribution was then and all return to that random point in time?

Or novel idea- should we just accept current sovereign countries and not invade them when they want to be left alone?

That's a darling philosophy, and certainly the citizens of Iraq and Libya would have supported it wholeheartedly before their countries were blessed with "special operations".

PRlady

I think the Avars, Burgundians, Savoyards and Babylonians should get their kingdoms back.

And the next time there’s a Russian program at KenCen @Nadya we should check in. :)

babayaga

When I said 1683, I was thinking about the Ottoman borders actually. Still can't see myself quite as the descendent of the Gaulois. ;)
However, you're quite right. We deserve whatever Napoleon 1st conquered as well. It is our right. :shuffle:
@Asli , I think the German howitzers that we discussed finally arrived to Ukraine :) Saw lots of happy and thankful posts in social media from Ukrainian military about it today.

Meoima

No, they are all hated all the same, and you know it. The global community did not display anywhere the same hatred toward the US when it invaded Iraq and later Libya. And certainly, the response of the global institutions has been nil. But then, the "rules-based world order" is always kinder to countries that write these rules.

How do you think the CIA cultivates assets? Run an annual open house at Langley?
People certainly hate the US a lot due to Iraq and all. I see people trash talk and show their disgust towards the US military and politics all days.

I am on social media constantly, and Pro Russian accounts are everywhere, many people blame Nato, Biden, the US for the war in Ukraine more than blaming the Russians. Oh guess what? Who told the Russian army to commits crimes and all in Ukraine? Those far left and far right people truly believe all the crimes were faked by the Ukrainian military and all.

If anything, I see many people from various countries share mutual hatred towards the US and gleefully support the Russian inside this war just because they hate the US. Take a look at the far left and far right section on Twitter an Facebook and you will see.

While the US and the West are stronger when it comes to sanction and economic powers, there are many calls for appeasement in the West itself. What US-Iraq had better than the Russia-Ukraine is that Russian economy is so weak even before the war. If we do not take political power into accounts, and only look at global population, then IMO it is reversed of what you say. My facebook timeline is full of people saying "Zelensky is fascist, the Western propaganda is disgusting" etc. They lost my respect when they keep sharing tabloids just to justify Putin's war.

I would be frank, I think the outrage against the Russian army and Putin's goons are not enough. Many silly comments request for "peace" and "negotiation" while in reality Putin's ambition is clear as day. The West has stronger economic powers but so what? Does that stop the war?

Last edited:

PRlady

As someone who lives in Savoie, I fully agree. I want Savoie to return to its sovereign state of Grand Duchy and to be all mine. You, of course, with a happy few from FSU, will be invited to the coronation.
You really should read Vanished Kingdoms, there are two different chapters about your part of the world. When I hit a section about the area between Geneva and Grenoble that mentioned Annecy, I thought, isn’t that where I had a lovely afternoon with cholla and her dog (May he rest in peace)?

Meoima

"We will continue to support Ukraine massively - financially, economically, humanitarianly, politically and not least with the supply of weapons," Scholz said in Bundestag today adding "For as long as Ukraine needs our support." "Only Ukraine decides what is right for itself. Nothing about Ukraine w/o Ukraine. We are a long way from negotiations because Putin believes in dictated peace. EU, NATO &G7 must send message that democracies stand together in the fight against Putin's imperialism," Scholz said
Someone please check on Scholz... this is not the Scholz we knew.

Anyway, a good article about Russia's ammunition stock
The war in Ukraine demonstrates that war between peer or near-peer adversaries demands the existence of a technically advanced, mass scale, industrial-age production capability. The Russian onslaught consumes ammunition at rates that massively exceed US forecasts and ammunition production. For the US to act as the arsenal of democracy in defence of Ukraine, there must be a major look at the manner and the scale at which the US organises its industrial base. This situation is especially critical because behind the Russian invasion stands the world’s manufacturing capital – China. As the US begins to expend more and more of its stockpiles to keep Ukraine in the war, China has yet to provide any meaningful military assistance to Russia. The West must assume that China will not allow Russia to be defeated, especially due to a lack of ammunition. If competition between autocracies and democracies has really entered a military phase, then the arsenal of democracy must first radically improve its approach to the production of materiel in wartime.

Meoima

Russian forces continued to make gains to the south of Lysychansk and will likely reach the city in the coming days, although they are unlikely to quickly capture the Severodonetsk-Lysychansk area.
Russian forces continued offensive operations towards Slovyansk and made minor advances.
Russian forces intensified efforts to interdict Ukrainian lines of communication along the T1302 Bakhmut-Lysychansk highway in order to support Russian operations towards Lysychansk.
Russian forces focused on defensive operations along the Southern Axis and may have made marginal gains within Mykolaiv Oblast.
Russian authorities are continuing measures to facilitate the economic integration of occupied areas.
Source: https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-june-22

Footage on the ground from Krasny Luch near the Russian ammunition depot that was hit by a Ukrainian OTR-21 Tochka-U on the 16th. With a clear sat pass today, some additional clarity can be given to the Ukrainian OTR-21 Tochka-U strike on a Russian munitions dump in Krasny Luch. The entire structure housing the Russian munitions dump is gone, and the surrounding neighborhood has been heavily damaged. The building was not small as well. About 160k square feet of topside surface area.
source https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1539689831311331328?s=20&t=l1M4n25tbro07SPA-iGrZA

Ukraine implementing Iran-style strategy of targeting energy infrastructure with suicide drones. A common occurrence in places like Saudi Arabia where Ababil-2 (Qasef-2K) and Shahed-136 drones, as well as Samad variants have hit oil refineries

Asli

Meoima

Numerous accounts in recent days have shared a video of a man running away from uniformed officers - claiming that the clip shows a Ukrainian individual evading military service. But the clip isn't recent and it wasn't even filmed in Ukraine. It was filmed in Russia. A reverse image search via the Russian search engine Yandex reveals plenty of iterations dating to as early as May 2020.
Thread: https://twitter.com/Seana_Davis/status/1539692202967896064?s=20&t=GMKGkZ3RFG92t5dKn6Pgyg

It's day 118 of Ukraine war. A video claiming to show a Russian Kinzhal missile destroy an arms depot in Ukraine is being widely shared on multiple platforms. It was made by a CGI artist, shared in February under the title "What if Russia started nuclear war?"
Source https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1539339907214213121

Reuters:
Nike to fully exit Russia. The brand confirmed in an emailed statement to Reuters on June 23 that it would leave the country completely after scaling down its operations.

US-made HIMARS arrive in Ukraine. Ukrainian Defense Minister Oleksii Reznikov announced on Twitter on June 23 that the HIMARS multiple rocket launcher systems had arrived in Ukraine, without specifying the number. The HIMARS were part of a $1 billion U.S. military aid package to Ukraine announced on June 15. "Summer will be hot for Russian occupiers. And the last one for some of them," Reznikov wrote.

Meoima

"US as an arsenal of democracy" - :barrel
"to act as the arsenal of democracy in defence of Ukraine" against the murder, rapes, and various atrocities done by the Russian army and Putin's goons. There, I fix it for you.

I was born in the street where the US bombed our citizens. My aunt lives in Moscow and idolizes Putin, my uncle lives in Chicago and voted for Trump. If one askes me do I have much love for the US government, certainly I don't and I highly doubt I would visit the US anytime soon (and no need to).

That does not mean I should support Putin and his goons for the ongoing atrocities. If the US is to be the only superpower to support Ukraine in this fight against the Russian, then so be it. I am not going to overlook all the bad deeds done by the US and its military, but I also do not cut any slack for the Russian military either.

At the end of the day, as my grandparents and parents made it through bombs flying over their heads, through famine and poverty, I find war disgusting. At the same time, I find people supporting Russia in this war either naïve/misled or repulsive (including my aunt, and I told her that).

Meoima

Now it is safe to say that the Ukrainian army operates British Starstreak HVM anti-air missiles too - here we can see it in hands of a Ukrainian soldier and its transporting case with K130A4 index seen

This is reportedly footage of a failed Russian air defense system missile launch from Alchevsk, Luhansk Oblast.

Governor: Ukrainian military will have to retreat from Sievierodonetsk. Luhansk Oblast Governor Serhiy Haidai said on June 24 that Ukrainian forces will have to withdraw from destroyed city of Sievierodonetsk. "Do not spread rumors of betrayal. Nobody abandons our guys, nobody allows the encirclement (of our troops). The situation right now is as such that staying at these destroyed positions just for the sake of being there doesn't make sense," Gaidai said. At least 90% of the infrastructure in Sievierodonetsk has been destroyed.

Reuters:
Russian military cargo plane crashes near Ryazan, killing 3. An Il-76 military cargo plane crashed in early hours of June 24 and caught fire while landing near Russia's western city of Ryazan. Reportedly, three of the nine people on board were killed, Reuters reported citing Russian Interfax news agency. It also quoted Russia's Defense Ministry as saying the plane had suffered an engine malfunction while on a training flight.

Institute for the Study of War:
Russian offensive operations likely stall in Donbas in the coming weeks. The U.S. think tank said on June 23 that Russian forces have made substantial gains in the Sievierodonetsk-Lysychansk area over the last several days and Ukrainian troops continue to suffer high casualties. However, Ukrainian forces have fundamentally accomplished their objective in the battle by slowing down and degrading Russian troops. The experts predict that Russian offensive operations will likely stall in the coming weeks.

Dobre

Russia has another default deadline on Sunday.

It has apparently paid in rubles. We'll see what happens.

"Both dollar-denominated bonds have in their terms provisions that payments could be made under certain circumstances in euros, pounds sterling or Swiss francs. However, they do not foresee payments in roubles, the currency Moscow used in the latest transfer. Both issues also have a 30-day grace period on payments.

To avert default, funds broadly have to be paid in the correct currency into bondholders' accounts within the prescribed timeframe."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information