News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Some bereaved family members want Russia to redouble its military campaign in Ukraine so, they say, that their boys will not have died in vain.
Gulnara Valiyeva, 43, whose son Yevgeny was killed with his German shepherd service dog in Hostomel, near Kyiv, called on social media for Russia to keep fighting “to the end.”
This happened in the US, too, when there was talk of pulling out of Afghanistan once we realized we were never going to "win" there (if we even knew what winning meant in that context). Families of soldiers who died there didn't want us to pull out because then their boys would have died in vain. But, they already had died in vain and staying in and killing more soldiers from other families was not the answer.

For real? He talks about putin's heart?? Loved the "regardless of how you feel about Ukraine" part too.
I thought he was talking to the World. As in, we have to step and stop this. Even a country that supports Russia in this war needs to stop it.

Meoima

For some, this is just a meme. But do you know how some self-entitled Russians living in Ukraine have treated Ukrainians? Here's a story about what my family has endured from our Russian neighbours in the countryside. Staying at our tiny Soviet-style dacha during the summer was always a nightmare due to the behaviour of a Russian family, whose house is next door. These are wealthy Russians who work at the RUS embassy and various academic institutions, and whose children live in EU. We used to have chickens in our backyard... One day we came home to find several of them lying dead on the ground. The Russians thought it to be too 'barbarian' to live next to chickens so they just killed a couple of them when we were away. They killed more as the time went on.
Now, can you imagine one day you come home to discover your neighbours washing their dirty laundry in your bathroom? That's what happened when our RU neighbours were having water outages due to repair works, so they decided to break into our house to use our facilities. Although I said that our RU neighbours were well-off, it didn't prevent them from stealing produce from our local farmers. Every once in a while, in the evening, they would just go to the local farm and take some veggies. Many saw that, but nobody dared to stop them.
To be continued in this thread: https://twitter.com/BohdanaKurylo/status/1523279037963157509
Anyway, they are Russians speaking Russians per the OP.

Poland is the latest country to be threatened by RU state TV After PM Morawiecki called for the defeat of Russia's "monstrous ideology", Olga Skabeyeva says that thanks to people like him "Poland has on several occasions ceased to exist as an independent state"

BREAKING: Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia plans to hold a referendum on July 17 about joining Russia. The statement translated from RIA Novosti by outgoing leader of South Ossetia Anatoly Bibilov. This is the most serious push for a referendum on South Ossetia's accession to Russia since 2016.

BREAKING: Russia has suspended electricity exports to Finland. Russia's move is officially related to payment issues and not to Finland's NATO membership but the coincidence in timing is striking. Sweden will recoup the difference, as Finland only gets 10% of its electricity from Russia.

BREAKING: Britain imposes sanctions on 12 key members of Vladimir Putin's family and inner circle, including rumoured mistress Alina Kabaeva

In Riga (Latvia) a monument to the soldiers of the Soviet army will be demolished. The corresponding decision was made on May 13 by the Duma of the country, Delfi reports.

Dobre

I think Ukrainian forces are making some headway around Izyum. This is the second post I've read in the last 24 hours that implies it. The one I read yesterday said the source was Russian & hadn't been confirmed by Ukraine. Then another post (I think earlier in this thread?) said that Russian forces in the region were moving away from Izyum & focusing efforts on two other communities in the area.

(This seems positive as Russian forces were redirected out of the Kharkiv region to reinforce the axis around Izyum so if Russia is having a hard time around Izyum, despite those extra forces, that's good, no? A map that was going around yesterday implied that this region is where the majority of Russian forces in Ukraine are right now).

----

"#Japan bans exports of high-tech goods to #Russia, reports RIA Novosti. In particular, the ban will affect 3D printers, quantum computers and electron microscopes."
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1524985467585933312/photo/1

cholla

High ground loner
About sunflower oil: there is a big shortage of it in France right now as we mostly bought it from Ukraine. In my area the entire shelves of supermarkets are empty. I mainly use olive to cook and wallnut or hazelnut oil for salad dressing but, as sunflower oil vanished, the prices of other oils are hitting the roof. In some places the prices of pasta have doubled (shortage of wheat), same for mustard. The worse is the price of gas 😱 It costs me more now to fill up the tank of my small Peugeot station wagon than it costed me for the big 4x4 Volvo I had 2 years ago.

Dobre

"Ukraine has almost expelled Russian forces on the east side of Kharkiv City from northern Kharkiv Oblast. Ukraine's General Staff confirmed reports that Ukrainian forces are in Ternova, less than 2 miles from the international border."

(Sounds like Russia is withdrawing "Russian" troops from around Kharkiv and not allowing "proxy" forces to withdraw yet).

Meoima

The Russian military has likely decided to withdraw fully from its positions around Kharkiv City in the face of Ukrainian counteroffensives and the limited availability of reinforcements.
Russian forces are continuing to pin Ukrainian forces in northeastern Ukraine, likely in preparation for their withdrawal from Kharkiv City.
Southern Axis Update: Russian forces may have paused their efforts to annex Kherson Oblast, possibly due to their insufficient control and administration of the area.
Moldova Update: The Transnistrian Internal Affairs Ministry claimed that unknown individuals in a car with foreign license plates thew Molotov cocktails at an oil depot and a military enlistment office in Tiraspol on May 13.
Source: https://t.co/M2uwx2QAJv

This Russian river crossing has gained attention because it resulted in the loss of (probably) a battalion tactical group and some critical engineer equipment. The reality is, it is worse than that.
Before examining why, let’s explore these types of operations. Assault river crossings are one of the most difficult combined arms operations possible. Not only do all the elements of the ground team need to come together in a tightly orchestrated series of events.
The combined arms team also needs to deceive the enemy about crossing site and timings. And, the combined arms team is quite vulnerable while it waits to cross once the crossing site is established - regardless of how much dispersal and camouflage is conducted.
These operations are generally conducted in 6 phases. First is recon and planning. Why is it needed, where will it be done, what is the follow-on mission on the other side of the river, and what info is needed to bring it all together?
Long thread here: https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1525252736757153792

So excluding bridges/boats, 43 RU vehicles were destroyed/damaged/abandoned (likely now captured) in twt 4-5. I didn't include those in twt 1+2 (unclear) or in this pic. From other info IMO minimum of 12-15 more losses to come. In link details of battles.

Last edited:

Hedwig

WoolSilk Fanatic
Since more people might read it here:

reut

It's very hard to grasp big numbers, to empathize with the big anonymous crowd, having one face, one person, one story always helps. For me when I was thinking about civilians hiding on Azovstal this was a 4-year old Alice, her mom who is a military doctor was helping the wounded there. This video of Alice who says she wants to go home was published/shared multiple times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIlTlJ6jroY

I actually even dreamt about her, kept being worried about her in my dreams. And every time with every evacuation I wondered whether Alice was among those who were saved.
Today I saw this post from Sviatoslav Vakarchuk, where he says (confirmed by multiple sources) that Alice got safely to Zaporizhzhia. But. She was separated from her mom, who was taken to infamous russian filtration camps. As her mom was a military medic, I'm afraid we can't be even sure she is safe. This is horrific and I still can't understand how this could have happened...
Saw this recent TV report:

So when they were taken from Azovstal to filtration camp, Alice's mom didn't know what to do, because she knew she won't pass filtration. Red Cross were still with them and they proposed her to write a letter in which she authorizes a proxy to take her daughter. A young woman who was in the same group agreed to help, to be that proxy and take Alice with her. Now Alice is in safety with her grandma. Alice's mom was kept somewhere, not clear where exactly, but most probably in occupied Donetsk region. She recorded a video in which she stated that they were made to stay in Azovstal against their will (agenda constantly pushed by russians that was refuted by multiple testimonies). And then she also had a video call with gradma, her mom, told her that everything is fine and asked to let Alice get back to her which grandma, obviously, refused to do. Gradma also said that her daughter didn't look like she could talk freely, she heard a voice of someone and her daughter was constantly looking aside as if to check with someone that she is doing ok.

And, yes, of course, there is propaganda from both sides and "everybody lies", but somehow I don't trust the words of this woman who is held captive...

The story of Alice and her mom got a lot of attention from media. Irina Vereshchuk specifically named this case as her priority. There are at least 36 known cases - only in Zaporizhzhia - when children were separated from their parents.

Dobre

Coming of age in a war, one Ukrainian teen finds her ‘mission’​

----

"Local official: More than 500 cars with evacuating civilians left Mariupol on May 14. The convoy of 500-1,000 cars has been waiting for 3 days to get permission to leave the city, according to Mariupol mayor’s adviser Petro Andriushchenko. They are heading to Zaporizhzhia."

Update: "Large convoy of evacuees from Mariupol reaches Zaporizhzhia safely. Petro Andriushchenko, aide to Mariupol’s mayor, earlier said the convoy contained between 500 to 1,000 cars, the largest single evacuation from the city since Russia’s full-scale invasion began."

Meoima

The Ukrainian destruction of significant elements of a Russian motorized rifle brigade that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River on May 11 has shocked prominent Russian milbloggers.
Southern Axis Update: Russian occupation authorities continue to face administrative problems that prevent Russia from establishing full control over occupied territories.
Kharkiv Update: Russian forces will likely focus on defending their ground lines of communication (GLOCs) to Izyum that pass through Vovchansk, roughly 60 km northeast of Kharkiv City.
Eastern Ukraine Update Thread: The destruction of the motorized rifle elements that tried to cross a pontoon bridge over the Siverskyi Donets River may severely disrupt Russian efforts to isolate Severodonetsk and Lysychansk from the north. Russian forces continued operations to set conditions for the Battle of Severodonetsk from the south, however, advancing on the town of Zolote, roughly 30 km south of Severodonetsk. Ukrainian forces will likely conduct counteroffensive operations to dislodge the Russians from around Izyum, according to Ukrainian officials.
Moldova Update: The Ukrainian General Staff noted that Transnistrian forces returned to normal operations while Russian forces remained on high alert, which could indicate disagreements between the self-declared Transnistrian government and Russia.
Source: https://t.co/EJJvf1z0zA

Ukrainian TVD, Day 77-79. The past 72 hrs has seen the Ukrainian military press the advantages made by their limited Kharkiv counteroffensive to push Russian forces into the Belgorod Oblast. Russian offensive action along the Siverskyi Donets Line has achieved little success. Weather. Forecast for the next 10 days will see increased rainstorms & cloud cover, severely degrading air & artillery strikes and ground assaults. Wind speed and direction will favor Ukrainian artillery strikes, however. Rainfall will continue to restrict movement to roads. Kharkiv OD. Russian forces have been thoroughly defeated north of Kharkiv. Russia has been conducting a fighting withdrawal since the start of the Ukrainian counteroffensive rather than trying to establishing a new defensive line.
Full thread: https://twitter.com/JominiW/status/1525541738147991554?s=20&t=wnbNkng2S0sMvQLTiNd33g

Chechnya, intensive recruitment and training of new fighters taking place.600 new fighters were sent to Ukraine. More Chechen forces departing Grozny Airport, Chechnya, most likely for Ukraine.

Last edited:

cholla

High ground loner
It appears that Putin is on his way out in more than one way, although I won't hope for a regime change.

The best way to make a coup fail is to announce it, hence to warn its target :lol: Putin is known to be paranoid and extremely well protected anyway. As to his health, you can live years with Parkinson and/or cancer, especially when you have access to state of the art treatments. Besides shelling the place/bunker where he is hiding, along with all his entourage, I don't see how else the world can get rid of him. It's not like if he was strolling around every day within range of a bullet. And who to make a coup? His main opposants have been jailed. This looks more like wishful thinking or propaganda from Ukrainian intel than anything doable. But it's also fair game considering Russia own propaganda, lies and broken promises.

Dobre

"The hottest spot remains the Izium direction," Ukrainian regional governor Oleh Sinegubov said in comments aired on social media.

'Our armed forces have switched to a counteroffensive there. The enemy is retreating on some fronts.'

In Ruska Lozova, a village set in sweeping fields between Kharkiv and Ukraine's border with Russia, Ukrainian commanders said they believed Moscow was redeploying troops to defend Izium while keeping their opponents pinned down with artillery fire.

'The Russian attack on Kharkiv has been destroyed and they understand this,' said Ihor Obolensky, who commands the National Guard and volunteer force that captured Ruska Lozova eight days ago. 'They need to try for a new victory and want to hold Izium.'

But Ukraine's military also acknowledged setbacks in an update on Sunday morning: 'Despite losses, Russian forces continue to advance in the Lyman, Sievierodonetsk, Avdiivka and Kurakhiv areas in the broader Donbas region.'"

Dobre

Cross-posting because this is obviously due, in part, to Russia's blockade:

Protests in Iran.

"The protests were triggered last week by a cut in state subsidies for imported wheat that caused price hikes of as much as 300% for a variety of flour-based staples. The government of President Ebrahim Raisi also raised prices of basic goods such as cooking oil and dairy products."

"Iranian media last week reported disrupted internet services, an apparent attempt to stop the use of social media to organise rallies and disseminate videos."

"Wheat prices have sharply risen globally since the start of the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February, adding to the cost of subsidies in Iran.

Iranian officials have also blamed the price hikes on the smuggling of heavily subsidised flour into neighbouring Iraq and Afghanistan."

Meoima

Russian forces have likely abandoned the objective of completing a large-scale encirclement of Ukrainian units from Donetsk City to Izyum in favor of completing the seizure of Luhansk Oblast.
Southern Axis Update: Russian forces are likely fortifying occupied settlements in southern Ukraine, indicating that the Russians are seeking to establish permanent control in the region.
Kharkiv Update: The Ukrainian counteroffensive continued to push Russian forces from northeastern Kharkiv City toward the Russian state border on May 15.
Eastern Ukraine Update: Ukrainian aviation continues to operate over Russian-controlled settlements near Izyum. Ukrainian artillery struck Russian armor and positions approximately 65 km north of Izyum with support from Ukrainian drones.

Zelensky: “Today's RU missile strikes in the Lviv region, shelling of Hulyaipole, Severodonetsk, Lysychansk, cities & communities of the Donetsk region – all this brutality of the occupiers… will only lead to the fact that RU surviving soldiers will bring this evil back to RU.”

NEW: UK believes that Russia has now lost 1/3 of troops committed to the fight in Ukraine since Feb 24, per new intel assessment. That’s up from 25% last month. “Russia’s Donbas offensive has lost momentum and fallen significantly behind schedule,” UK Defense Intelligence said.

The destruction wreaked on a Russian battalion as it tried to cross a river in northeastern Ukraine last week is emerging as among the deadliest engagements of the war, with estimates based on publicly available evidence now suggesting that well over 400 Russian soldiers were killed or wounded. And as the scale of what happened comes into sharper focus, the disaster appears to be breaking through the Kremlin’s tightly controlled information bubble. Perhaps most striking, the Russian battlefield failure is resonating with a stable of pro-Russian war bloggers — some of whom are embedded with troops on the front line — who have reliably posted to the social network Telegram with claims of Russian success and Ukrainian cowardice.
“I’ve been keeping quiet for a long time,” Yuri Podolyaka, a war blogger with 2.1 million followers on Telegram, said in a video posted on Friday, saying that he had avoided criticizing the Russian military until now.
“The last straw that overwhelmed my patience was the events around Bilohorivka, where due to stupidity — I emphasize, because of the stupidity of the Russian command — at least one battalion tactical group was burned, possibly two.”

Meoima

Russia’s warmongers in chief are around 70. In Ukraine, people in charge of defense and key government functions are in their 40s and 30s. The average age of Russia’s key officials is 64. For Ukraine, the average is 44. It’s a war between generations. The elderly chekists are trying to destroy not only the new generation of the Ukrainian elite but also those relatively young Russians who could and should have replaced Putin’s generation. Putin is certain to fail at the first task, but he has already accomplished the second. Putin’s age cohort has destroyed--not physically--those who could have led Russia out of the hole the elderly checkists had dug. Some leaders like Navalny (Navalny will be 46 this year, Zelensky is 44) have been jailed. The checkists have either enslaved the next generation or driven them out of the country. Many Russians in their 40s and 30s either work in the service of the kleptocratic rulers or have gone into internal or external exile. In fact, age may not be an issue if leaders have experience building and managing projects, winning elections, and being held accountable by voters. That’s exactly the experience Ukraine’s current leaders have and Russia’s leaders lack. If Russians in their 40s and 30s possessing experience similar to their Ukrainian peers had been in power, we would not have seen this war.

Russia’s humiliation in Ukraine has untold benefits, not least for Russia itself. We have heard it said for years that Russia must be indulged and humoured because, if not, it will resent having lost its great power status. The Soviet collapse, we were told, was a terrible catastrophe from which aggrieved, embittered Russians never recovered. So they need to be respected. They need to stand tall and proud. God forbid if they are humiliated because who knows what they will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information