News and Updates about Russia's War against Ukraine.

reut

On a different topic, there was a sad interview with Kharkiv ecopark's founder, Alexander Feldman. All those videos of cute kangaroos and tapirs being moved you've probably seen, they are from his zoo. Kharkiv has two zoos, there is a big state one which is situated in city center (and I heard it was renovated recently) and there is this ecopark which was created long after I left but I heard a lot of great things about it (their official site in English). Unfortunately they are situated in the northern outskirts of the city, exactly at the line of the battles. Animals suffer enormously, some of the workers were killed, multiple animals died from heart attacks, some were killed directly by the bombings. They had some unique animals and multiple educational programs, also for children with special needs. It will take a lot of time and efforts to rebuild all that...
All animals from Feldman's eco park were evacuated!
Last ones were moved today.

Asli

I should say that today, when it's 49th day of war, after numerous interviews from Zelenskyy, after his numerous speeches he does almost every day, I was thoroughly impressed with this talk, his monologue almost. If there is only one his interview people should listen to, it should be this one. And it was probably the first time when I was sincerely sorry - although I did joke about it before, but it was really just a joke - that we don't have a leader like this. And not many countries do I think.
I've only listened to the part that was translated obviously. It simultaneously reassured me and shook me like a raggedy doll.

reut

@reut - are you from Ukraine and are now living somewhere else?
I was born in Kharkiv and "made aliyah" (repatriated to Israel) in 1997. My family, brother and parents, till the beginning of March lived in Kharkiv. After their neighbourhood was bombed and they finally agreed to leave, and after a week of trials and failures, which was hands down the worst week of my life, with the help of multiple volunteers and Jewish organisations I was able to evacuate them to a safer place. They are in Western Ukraine now, live in relatively good conditions and, although I practically begged them to come to Israel, currently decided to stay there. The situation is quite uncertain and nerve-wracking, unfortunately nothing I can do about it now...

I left Ukraine when I was very young and I was very idealistic about living in Israel (still is), if we're talking about "home", for me it's certainly here. Apart from family I didn't have much connection left to Ukraine. Or at least I thought so. But last months proved me wrong. I didn't quite expect from myself that it will hurt so much and feel so close to home... Obviously I was worried about my family, but it is much bigger and much more painful. Witnessing the city of my childhood being methodically destroyed (even if beforehand I thought I didn't have that many nostalgic feelings towards it) proves to be quite an unthinkable experience...

Last edited:

reut

Interesting interview CNN did with Stanislav Vakarchuk:

Vakarchuk is probably THE most famous musician in Ukraine and if you never heard songs of "Okean Elzy", you definitely should. Since the beginning of the war he travels all over country, gives small concerts, talks to people and cheers them up.

Talking about Ukrainian musicians, here are a few recent creations from prominent Ukrainian artists:
Gave me shivers.

And this one is a hilarious clip from Ukrainian comedian, TV host and blogger Lesya Nikityuk:
Even if you don't understand words, you'll get that it's about special bio weaponry Ukraine possesses (one of the claims of Ru propaganda, for real)

Last edited:

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
Protest against rape outside Russian Embassy in Estonia (Warning: Graphic images)

Meoima

German President Steinmeier planned to visit Kyiv tomorrow but Zelensky doesn't want to see him (according to BILD). Ukraine's diplomat: "At the moment, he is not welcome in Kyiv. We'll see whether this changes". Steinmeier not looking happy having received news of blocking trip: Says he wanted to send "strong signal of EU solidarity" alongside presidents of Baltics & Poland. "I was ready but apparently (and I need to take note) this was not desired in Kyiv".

Sorry if I sound a bit ignorant of EU politics, I saw a thread explaining why Zelensky does not want to see Steinmeier here:
So Zelenskyy didn't want to meet the man who for many years has been one of Russia's strongest supporters while at the same time constantly undermined Ukraine's national security. Steinmeier's legacy will be one of the worst among current European leaders.

But is that a wise choice? After all fewer enemies and more friends the better at this point though? I hope German commentators would give me a deeper insight into Steinmeier's policies and if his support would be useful?

babayaga

Meoima

BREAKING: President Joe Biden has approved $800 million in new military assistance to Ukraine, including helicopters and artillery, to bolster its defenses against an intensified Russian offensive in the country’s east.

France will allocate additional military assistance to Ukraine, in addition to the already spent 100 million euros. This was stated by Minister of Defense Florence Parly.

The Russian Ministry of Defence says it will target "decision-making centres" including in Kyiv. This is a response to what it claims are Ukrainian attacks on Russian territory.

The Russian Foreign Ministry just accused the Swedish Dockworkers Union of being "on a par with the Nazis". The trigger is Sweden's blockade on Russian ships, but this rhetoric also reflects Russia's desire to lash out at Sweden for taking steps towards NATO membership.

millyskate

In slightly less depressing news about Russia, I wanted to mention a Russian acquaintance and facebook friend of mine based in Moscow who has had her profile picture displaying the Ukraine flag colours since the beginning of the war, and has openly been posting a constant stream of anti-war, pro-protester status updates.
It is possible. Her posting settings are mostly set to public.

text_skate

But is that a wise choice? After all fewer enemies and more friends the better at this point though? I hope German commentators would give me a deeper insight into Steinmeier's policies and if his support would be useful?
There is a lot of understanding for Zelensky. Quite some high level politicians minced their words, not to sound to harsh, they regret the course of action taken by Ukraine, but no outrage. On the other hand SPD pundits are outraged.
I found this thread a bit more balanced (Östlund is tweeting very much all against Germany in the most drastic way, not always getting the facts right)

Imo a more diplomatic approach would have been better. But I fully understand, why Ukraine doesn't want Steinmeier there (basically for a PR picture). When he admitted he was wrong about Russia, he switched in the next sentence to "we". His apology came very late, after Bucha. He needed a massacre to understand, he has been wrong.
He did a lot to put Ukraine into the position she is in today. So atonement would be the better approach than a PR op. Looking at this picture and imagining Steinmeier in it: It wouldn't feel right. A misrepresentation of reality.

German newpaper FAZ published a long article about Steinmeier and his Russian politics:

It is paywalled. Will edit in excerpts

The SPD in particular reacted harshly to the disinvitation of its former party politician. It expected "Ukrainian representatives to adhere to a minimum of diplomatic customs and not to interfere unduly in the domestic politics of our country," said parliamentary group leader Rolf Mützenich. Foreign policy expert Nils Schmid found the cancellation "more than annoying." ... Scholz himself remained somewhat more reserved. It would have been good to receive Steinmeier, he said. The invitation was "somewhat irritating," said the Chancellor, who left open whether he himself would still travel to Kyiv. Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock (Greens) also found the cancellation regrettable. Opposition leader Friedrich Merz of the CDU spoke of a "diplomatic affront.
[2005, Gerhard Schröder] The election loser, who found it hard to stomach losing his office to the CDU's Angela Merkel, pulled off a coup when it came to filling the ministerial posts in the first grand coalition under Merkel.

He pushed through as foreign minister the man who had been his closest confidant for many years. Steinmeier, who had been head of the chancellor's office since 1999 but was not a minister, was Schröder's Mister Efficiency, the gray eminence in the chancellor's office, who kept all things in line for the head of government. Last but not least, he had managed a project that was particularly close to Schröder's heart: the Nord Stream Baltic Sea pipeline, which was to bring gas directly from Russia to Germany, bypassing the Ukraine. Just ten days before the German elections, the construction of this gas route was agreed in the presence of Chancellor Schröder and Russia's President Vladimir Putin.

Background about Schröder's coup with Putin to become a member of the supervisory board of the company responsible for building the natural gas pipeline. Putin facilitates the adoption of two Russian children for Schröder and his wife. (hadn't been possible to adopt in Germny and wasn't possible under Russian law)

[Steinmeier] entered the Foreign Office with the conviction that he knew what Russian policy was. However, he could not copy what Schröder had decided from the gut and staged as a male friendship with Putin. The new foreign minister visited Putin at his dacha during his first trip to Moscow in December 2005. He had not found it necessary to meet with opposition members or human rights activists.
It was not until Angela Merkel invited Putin critics to tea at the German Embassy in Moscow during her first trip to Russia as chancellor that Steinmeier also always included an opposition meeting in his trips - after all, it was a matter of fending off media criticism in Germany. On his second trip, he met opposition figure Garry Kasparov at the embassy. However, on the advice of the ambassador at the time, Kasparov was not allowed to attend the following dinner with other opposition politicians because Putin allegedly had a hateful relationship with the former world chess champion.
At the Foreign Office, Steinmeier began drafting a "new Ostpolitik," or Russia policy. Steinmeier's planning staff under energy expert and former BND employee Markus Ederer came up with the slogan "rapprochement through integration" for this.

However, Putin's brutal war in Chechnya, the abolition of gubernatorial elections in the regions, the restriction of press freedom, the disempowerment of the opposition and the takeover of all power apparatuses by people from the secret service and the military had already amply demonstrated that he had not the slightest thing to do with Western values. Steinmeier was not too bothered by this. Human rights issues remained secondary for him in Russia policy.

Steinmeier did not accept the objection of Foreign Office staff familiar with Russia that Putin, as a creature of the KGB, could not really be a person of trust. The staff also mentioned the reports that Putin had had residential buildings in Moscow blown up by the FSB secret service in order to have a pretext for his war against the rebellious Caucasus republic of Chechnya in view of hundreds of deaths. Even the hint that Putin had been chosen by his predecessor Boris Yeltsin because he himself had been involved in corruption in St. Petersburg and had been at home in the criminal milieu could not convince the foreign minister to abandon his plans. The mere mention of this was considered an imposition, as employees of the ministry at the time recall.
Nevertheless, the new partnership with Russia was to be very close and "irreversible" - or so it was stated in working papers. The chancellery was critical of these ideas. Merkel loved pragmatism, not ideology. But she did not fall for Steinmeier's arm either. Instead, the foreign minister used Germany's EU presidency in 2007 to elevate his "modernization partnership" with Russia to the European level.

2006 I think this is one of the crucial parts of the article
Steinmeier's first trip to Ukraine as foreign minister in February 2006, however, was rather unfortunate. The ambassador to Ukraine at the time, Dietmar Stüdemann, was an expert on the country and very popular with the Ukrainian leadership; he was about to retire at the time. Steinmeier, taken with Stüdemann's knowledge, spontaneously suggested to his ministerial colleague Borys Tarasyuk at the time that Stüdemann be hired as a foreign policy adviser to Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko. Stüdemann was soon given an office, but he did not really find his feet in Ukrainian politics and quietly resigned from his post the next year. However, Steinmeier had given the impression to the government in Kiev that Ukraine was an underdeveloped country that needed advice and should not really be taken seriously - an assessment that was quite compatible with that of Moscow.
Russia's war against Georgia in August 2008 caused irritation with regard to Steinmeier's Russia-friendly course. But it did not bring about a turnaround. When then-French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner considered imposing sanctions against Russia, Steinmeier opposed the idea and rejected a tougher stance toward Moscow altogether. "Even in this serious political situation, it is important to let a residue of reason prevail. We will keep Russia as a neighbor beyond the day, and it is in our own interest to return to a normal relationship," Steinmeier told F.A.Z. At the time, the German foreign minister also prevented NATO from adopting much tougher sanctions than just temporarily suspending meetings of the NATO-Russia Council.

Steinmeier wasn't the only one in SPD, were of the opinion that Putin was the right man for Russia. Liked Putins charm (and gifts)
At the time, many Social Democrats spoke out in favor of close relations with Russia. A major role was played by a barely concealed anti-Americanism; most of them hardly knew Russia. Peter Struck, the late SPD politician, said in 2007 that there must be "equal proximity between us and America on the one hand, us and Russia on the other."
Steinmeier, however, remained the chief admonisher when it came to steps that could have put Russia in its place. When the Americans wanted to single-handedly build a missile defense system on European soil, he warned against it in March 2007. "We do not want an arms race in Europe," he wrote in the "Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung." Peace, he said, was "no longer based on military deterrence, but on the willingness to cooperate."
The fact that Steinmeier was well-liked in Moscow had to do with his personality. The current German president is a rather timid person. While his predecessor Joschka Fischer got along with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov easily and often interrupted his suades, Steinmeier had a hard time getting a word in edgewise with Lavrov. Dear Sergey," as Steinmeier sometimes called him, is often harsh and hurtful to his interlocutors. To Steinmeier, on the other hand, he was sweet; the German gave little reason to treat him differently.
When Steinmeier became foreign minister again in 2013 after four years as opposition leader in the Bundestag, he wanted to continue his earlier policy. He would continue to pursue the modernization partnership with Russia "soberly and without transfiguration," he said when he took office in mid-December 2013, saying it was about a common future "in which Russia and the West are linked not only economically but also by shared fundamental convictions."

After visiting Putin in Moscow in February 2014, Steinmeier spoke of a "positive agenda." It was supposed to be about energy efficiency, about promoting small and medium-sized enterprises. This was window dressing in view of the increasing hardening of the Russian regime - Putin had brutally suppressed protests against his re-election a year earlier.

Less than two weeks later, the German foreign minister traveled to Kiev with his Polish and French counterparts as the country threatened to descend into violence. They negotiated a compromise between then-Moscow-loyal President Viktor Yanukovych and the opposition, which had been demonstrating for weeks on the Maidan, the central square of the Ukrainian capital. But events transcended that mission. On the very evening of Feb. 21, when the agreement was signed, Yanukovych fled Kiev, and the opposition took power. Two and a half weeks later, Putin had his "green men" occupy Crimea.

Although Russia had committed an open breach of international law and launched a barely concealed war in eastern Ukraine, Steinmeier remained true to his mantra that the thread of talks with Putin should not be broken. To be sure, he advocated negotiations between Russia and Ukraine, which now took place in the Normandy format together with France. But he did not want a break with the aggressor. In early September 2015, it was even decided to build two more strands of the Baltic Sea pipeline, known as Nord Stream 2, in Vladivostok, Russia. The fact that Russian-backed separatists had shot down a passenger plane over Ukraine the previous summer, killing three hundred people, and that Putin was meanwhile waging a brutal war in Syria, did not matter.

... when it came to Nord Stream 2.

Steinmeier has supported this project. More than that, some of his comments seemed to come straight from the Kremlin. When NATO held a maneuver with 10,000 troops in Poland and the Baltics in 2016, he said, "What we should not do now is to further inflame the situation with loud saber rattling and war cries. Anyone who thinks they can create more security with symbolic tank parades on the alliance's eastern border is mistaken."

Steinmeier remained a Putin apologist even after his move to the presidency in March 2017. After a good six months in office, he set out on a new trip to Moscow. Steinmeier said he wanted to "do something to counter the growing estrangement between our countries." In Moscow, Steinmeier spoke of strains, of a loss of trust, of wounds - they were probably his own wounds, too, when he thought of his Russia policy. Putin, on the other hand, reeled off economic figures and said that they otherwise knew each other well from earlier times. Steinmeier was blushing - Putin had made his show appearance to show the Russians that their country was by no means isolated from the West.

When opposition activist Alexei Navalny, who narrowly survived a poison attack, was sentenced to imprisonment in Russia at the beginning of 2021, Steinmeier sharply criticized the sentence. But he continued to stand by Nord Stream 2. "After the sustained deterioration of relations in recent years, energy relations are almost the last bridge between Russia and Europe," he said - a stance he now admits was a mistake.
Well these are quite some lengthy "excerpt". Now, Ive read this article twice, and I can even better understand the Ukrainian position not to invite Steinmeier. If it is written down all in one piece it's mindboggling.
If excerpts are too long, please notify me, I'll shorten them

Last edited:

Meoima

There is a lot of understanding for Zeleknsky. Quite some high level politicians minced their words, not to sound to harsh, they regret the course of action taken by Ukraine, but no outrage. On the other hand SPD pundits are outraged.
I found this thread a bit more balanced (Östlund is tweeting very much all against Germany in the most drastic way, not always getting the facts right)

Imo a more diplomatic approach would have been better. But I fully understand, why Ukraine doesn't want Steinmeier there (basically for a PR picture). When he admitted he was wrong about Russia, he switched in the next sentence to "we". His apology came very late, after Bucha. He needed a massacre to understand, he has been wrong.
He did a lot to put Ukraine into the position she is in today. So atonement would be the better approach than a PR op. Looking at this picture and imagining Steinmeier in it: It wouldn't feel right. A misrepresentation of reality.
Thank you very much for your explanation. I hope things will go well for all except the aggressors.
Anyway, as expected: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...laiming-ukraine-carried-out-kramatorsk-attack
The BBC has warned that a video carrying its branding in which it is claimed that a missile attack on a railway station that killed dozens of people was carried out by Ukraine is fake.
The video, mocked up with a BBC News logo and using similar graphics to the broadcaster, gives the false impression that it has confirmed that Ukrainian armed forces were behind the attack on Kramatorsk railway station on Friday.

Meoima

Another mass grave discovered in Bucha, Ukraininan @suspilne_news reports. "Between 40 and 60 bodies" are presumed to be buried. This is the third mass grave and they keep counting. Remember - less than 2 months ago this was a peaceful community going about its daily life

Meanwhile
Russian Senator Lilia Gumerova is aghast that many of the Ukrainian children “from the liberated territories” don’t speak fluent Russian. She promises summer schooling to liberate their tongues. (I wish someone would liberate her and her colleagues to a war crimes tribunal.)

And https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1514248300484038661?s=20&t=XK2eAQ0ePJUjCrEYn_5owA
Presidents of Poland, Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia visited Borodyanka, a town of 12,000 people 40 kilometers northwest of Kyiv, that has suffered some of the worst destruction seen by any place in Russia’s war against Ukraine.
And https://twitter.com/pmarsupia/status/1513228415352070144
How many more places like Bucha are there in Ukraine that have not yet been discovered? This mass grave has been found today in Buzova, a town 40 kilometers west of kyiv.

Last edited:

Asli

"The Russian Ministry of Defence says it will target "decision-making centres" including in Kyiv. This is a response to what it claims are Ukrainian attacks on Russian territory."
Isn't the Ukrainian command center at a secret location? It was worrying to see that the architectural details of the command center were visible in the interview with Zelenskyy that @reut posted. Someone could recognise it. :eek:

Meoima

Sweden and Finland's prime ministers have just held a joint press conference outlining plans to join NATO.
Finland is expected to move first. PM Marin says she won't give a timetable but "it will happen quite fast—within weeks, not within months, we will have the discussion".
Anyway
BREAKING: Russia imposes sanctions on 398 members of the US House of Representatives
And
Bloomberg: Jersey court freezes more than $7 billion of assets linked to Abramovich. The police of Jersey, an English Channel tax haven, have raided the assets of Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, who was sanctioned by the EU and the U.K. in March, Bloomberg reported.

Karen-W

Anyone wanna guess the party affiliations of the 37 representatives who did not make the list? :shuffle:
I haven't been able to find a complete list yet, but the following were excluded:

Pelosi (D-CA), McCarthy (R-CA), Hoyer (D-MD), Meeks (D-NY), Schiff (D-CA), Nadler (D-NY), McCaul (R-TX)

So, looks like House leadership on both sides of the aisle as well as key members of the Foreign Affairs, Intelligence, and Judiciary Committees.

Your cynicism seems wildly misplaced.

Also, per the article, 87 Canadian senators were also sanctioned in the same move.

ETA - I found an article from the Daily Fail that states the opposite - that House leadership were included, so I'm uncertain. But, I do stand by initial thought that the 37 unsanctioned probably isn't exclusive to one party affiliation.

Last edited:

text_skate

Zelenskyy: "I didn't get any official request from Germany about Steinmeier's visit"
German media:
It seems certain that Steinmeier was not wanted in Kiev - the German ambassador in Kiev was given this in writing by the Ukrainian presidential administration, reports Tina Hassel, head of the ARD studio in Berlin. Accordingly, the statements from Ukraine could be an attempt at diplomatic damage limitation.
source: https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/ukraine-steinmeier-scholz-101.html
Could be very well damage limitation. Many understand why it has happened. On the other hand they feel a offended, call it a diplomatic affront.

Meoima

From the Five Presidents' meeting:
Zelenskyy: "I didn't get any official request from Germany about Steinmeier's visit"
"Ukraine will be in NATO when Lithuanian president is the head of it" (it was a joke I guess?)
https://t.me/ukraina24tv/26458
I don't understand anything. Are both sides lying or there was a misunderstanding? Under Reuters' post on Twitter, there are conflicting comments on this topic.
Some said that Bild was a tabloid and did not confirm the credibility of the source, others said Ukraine diplomat said on German TV at the prime time that Steinmeier was not welcomed to Ukraine. But Zelenskyy said his side did not get any request from Germany about Steinmeier. Maybe all of these are true? That they meant Steinmeier was not welcomed but Steinmeier also never intended to visit Kyiv either?

Asli

I don't understand anything. Are both sides lying or there was a misunderstanding? Under Reuters' post on Twitter, there are conflicting comments on this topic.
Some said that Bild was a tabloid and did not confirm the credibility of the source, others said Ukraine diplomat said on German TV at the prime time that Steinmeier was not welcomed to Ukraine. But Zelenskyy said his side did not get any request from Germany about Steinmeier. Maybe all of these are true? That they meant Steinmeier was not welcomed but Steinmeier also never intended to visit Kyiv either?

From all this, IMO we can deduce that an official request for Steinmeier's visit wasn't made because Ukrainian officials made it clear beforehand that he wasn't welcome.

Usually such things happen behind doors. Steinmeier was given the chance to say nothing and save face. Instead, he decided to go public with this, as if Ukraine and the world in general had nothing worse to worry about than Steinmeier's publicity visit to Ukraine. :rolleyes:

If Germany really wants to show support for Ukraine, it should be Scholtz to visit. None of my business, I know.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I haven't been able to find a complete list yet, but the following were excluded:

Pelosi (D-CA), McCarthy (R-CA), Hoyer (D-MD), Meeks (D-NY), Schiff (D-CA), Nadler (D-NY), McCaul (R-TX)

So, looks like House leadership on both sides of the aisle as well as key members of the Foreign Affairs, Intelligence, and Judiciary Committees.

Your cynicism seems wildly misplaced.

Also, per the article, 87 Canadian senators were also sanctioned in the same move.

ETA - I found an article from the Daily Fail that states the opposite - that House leadership were included, so I'm uncertain. But, I do stand by initial thought that the 37 unsanctioned probably isn't exclusive to one party affiliation.
You article link didn't work. I have since found it.

• "Together with other current lawmakers, who, like Speaker Nancy Pelosi, were previously banned from entering the Russian Federation, all U.S. congressmen are 'listed' on a reciprocity basis," it added.
Pelosi is on the list.

text_skate

I think we have to wait, until everything is untangled. Bild reported yesterday evening. This morning other (non tabloid) media reported, too. They had time to research and find sources. They won't take Bild's word for granted. Bild has journalists on the ground in Ukraine, more than other media outlets. So they could be reliable.
My guess is, there is some truth to all of it.

When I saw the news yesterday, I wondered, why Steinmeier hasn't asked beforehand.

The Ukrainian ambassador to Germany is, well, blunt. Notoriously blunt. He aquired quite some fan base in the public. :D

Last edited:

reut

If Germany really wants to show support for Ukraine, it should be Scholtz to visit. None of my business, I know.
I saw on Medusa one post which quoted several people from several sources (they have a detailed timeline every day in Russian edition, but they don't have it in English).
The post looked like this (I kept all the links they gave):

Chancellor of Germany condemn Kyiv's refusal to welcome Germany's president. And claimed that currently he doesn't see any sense in his trip to Ukraine

Olaf Scholz noted, that he visited Kyiv a few days before the war has started and often talks to the president of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, by phone.

German chancellor named the fact that Kyiv refused to welcome German president Frank-Walter Steinmeier siting his "close connections with Russian", "annoying".

Deputy Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine Ihor Zhovkva explained the refusal to invite Steinmeier by the fact that such visits from foreign leaders should bring concrete results, and added that Kyiv would have been glad to see Scholz.

Zhovkva also said that countries friendly to Ukraine express "similar attitude towards Russia, Russian leadership, and as for sanctions they don't make exceptions "in spheres of energy, banking and towards political establishment of Russia" (quote via RIA)

I wasn't really focused on this story to tell the truth, and didn't invest in cross-referencing and google translating sources, also, not sure how much they can be trusted (especially RIA).
It might be that formally president didn't get this request because someone else from his team blocked it before, it might be that there was no formal request, it might be that they decided to do this attempt at diplomatic damage limitation.

I did recall some quote from Zelenskyy from a few years ago he said in the "making of" documentary about his TV series "Servant of the People", he said: "I don't get along with shit [meaning "shitty people"]. Everybody knows that" ("Я с говном не уживаюсь. Все знают.") I wonder why I recalled it suddenly. :D

Last edited:

Asli

I did recall some quote from Zelenskyy from a few years ago he said in the "making of" documentary about his TV series "Servant of the People", he said: "I don't get along with shit [meaning "shitty people"]. Everybody knows that" ("Я с говном не уживаюсь. Все знают.") I wonder why I recalled it suddenly. :D
Elected shit is different though.

Anyway, I hope they give Steinmeier his smelling salts and this drama is over. :drama:

Meoima

Steinmeier had planned to visit the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, alongside the heads of state of Poland and the Baltic republics of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. However, the Ukrainian leadership rejected those plans, Steinmeier said...
Speaking to German public radio RBB, Scholz said the snub was "irksome" to the German government. The German chancellor did not comment any further, but said: "It would have been good to receive him (Steinmeier)."
"We were not officially approached by the German president or the office of the German president for this visit," Zelenskyy told a news conference after meeting the leaders of Poland and the three Baltic states, according to the Reuters news agency.
So Scholz isn't impressed? Both sides could be saying the truth though. Ukraine might have shown their unwillingness to invite Steinmeier and I would assume Steinmeier did not make any official request towards Zelenskyy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information