News and Experiences #Thread1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polaris

And starting from today all people who wish can be tested for ******** for free at most of public hospitals and clinics in all city districts of St Petersburg.

That’s definitely some good news, even through I assume there will be a big increase in numbers in official ‘reported’ cases.

How is Russia doing in all of this? I haven't heard alot on that front and feel like they have everything under control?

OlieRow

Yes I think not having WH in action would actually be better. BUT, where are state govs supposed to go find respirators? To Home Depot?

They're out too. I just panic bought 50 surgical masks and 20 KN95 respirators on Amazon. I'm not sure they're legit but I'm sure they're better than nothing if (when?) the hospital runs out.

Polaris

They're out too. I just panic bought 50 surgical masks and 20 KN95 respirators on Amazon. I'm not sure they're legit but I'm sure they're better than nothing if (when?) the hospital runs out.

How did you get N95 masks off Amazon? The entire world is looking for these. Link?

skatingguy

Golden Team
How is Russia doing in all of this? I haven't heard alot on that front and feel like they have everything under control?
I think we have to start assuming that countries not reporting large number of cases, particularly when they share borders with countries that are, are not reporting accurate information or don't have the public health infrastructure to do the testing, tracing, and isolation of cases. That doesn't just apply to Russia, of course, it would include a number of countries around the world.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
One of my faculty has a Subway franchise in a Walmart store. They were told today that effective today, only take out was acceptable and that the Governor plans that Walmart and other stores that do online ordering and pickup will be closing the doors to walk in customers. Pick up only.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Insanity is taking over my small city. They’ve decided to close the parks. Closed as in you can get a trespassing ticket if you use one. I can see banning groups and pickup games, but the parks are the best places to take a solo walk. Merde.

puglover

We are safely back in Canada and feeling so very relieved. I do not think we were at any greater risk in the US but I was not eager to put our travel health insurance to the test should we get sick. We drove across at the Coutts border last night at about 10 p.m. and the wait was only about 35 minutes. He asked us where we had been, if we were sick, and the value of the goods we were bringing into Canada. He did not mention self quarantine but we are doing that. There are so many snowbirds in the US currently. I am not sure that a country can refuse to take back their own citizens even if they do close a border. It is my understanding that Samoa, a country dear to our hearts, did refuse 3 Samoan citizens - one returning from Australia after chemotherapy and one from India - not sure about the third one. The country is now being accused of breaking International law by not admitting them. I don't know if this is true but it does kind of make sense as what would stop a country from waiting until an undesirable person - questionable criminal past, political trouble maker, etc. left the country - then refuse to readmit them? Let them be someone else's problem. As we are now in uncharted territory though - who knows what goes.

sk8pics

The Comcast free-access period for HBO continues today. I believe it ends at midnight tonight. Cinemax is included (or at least it was yesterday; I haven't checked today). Break out that old VCR and record some comedies.
I watched The Zookeeper's Wife on the free HBO deal from Comcast. I may look for something else later. I saw they had the Mr. Rogers documentary, so I may watch that tonight.

This is priceless. I think Lulu is actually a burro or donkey, based on the furry face I saw. At Old Friends, Alphabet Soup, a horse, has a little buddy named Gorgeous George who looks a lot like Lulu, and he' a miniature donkey.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I have an appt for physical therapy
My SIL thinks if you must eat out then pizza is your best option. It comes hot out of the oven, is not touched again, you could order it unsliced, and you could use gloves to open the box. Just a thought.....
And someone could sneeze on it.

judiz

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...ompts-statewide-curfew-gov-murphy/5057576002/

MacMadame

Staying at home
I think your SIL is grasping at straws, @puglover probably to give herself a sense of control.

All takeout is fixed by food service employees who are supposed to be wearing gloves and hairnets and once they put the food into the containers, no one is touching it directly. But, as posted out above, someone could come to work sick, could not know they are sick and sneeze near the food, or the food itself or the container it is put in could have the ***** on it.

Therefore, I think take-out food is all equally as safe (or not safe depending on where you draw the line)

Skate Talker

3 more deaths announced in Canada for a total of 4 - all related to the same long term care facility where the first victim was a resident. 6 people in BC are being treated in hospital. In Manitoba this morning's count remained at 7 and that all were remaining in their own home - no hospital cases.

BaileyCatts

One of my faculty has a Subway franchise in a Walmart store. They were told today that effective today, only take out was acceptable and that the Governor plans that Walmart and other stores that do online ordering and pickup will be closing the doors to walk in customers. Pick up only.

:eek: yikes. uhm … what state you in?

Ka3sha

How is Russia doing in all of this?
Don't know. I mean, things are not really bad for now and definitely could have been much worse. There was an obvious problem with lack of testing, but it looks like they finally took/are taking it under control (at least in big cities).
Before last weekend they had been testing only those coming from China/Italy/other epicenters and having temperature/other symptoms. Now most of the boarders are closed and people have to be in self-guarantied for 14 days after their travels. Previously, they responded rather quickly after the case was confirmed and reported.
For example, once an Italian student was diagnosed with ********* in St Petersburg, the whole dormitory was putted under quarantine (more than 700 people). But as we know, developing symptoms and confirming cases also takes time... so we can only imagine the numbers of all infected people.
They are now doing this free testing for everyone who wants to be tested (but you also have to go to your district hospital and be in their base), there's an obligatory sanitation of all public transport and working places before/after each day and etc but at the same time people are still standing in line to kiss those relics I mentioned in the previous post. Crazy.

I think we have to start assuming that countries not reporting large number of cases, particularly when they share borders with countries that are, are not reporting accurate information or don't have the public health infrastructure to do the testing, tracing, and isolation of cases. That doesn't just apply to Russia, of course, it would include a number of countries around the world.
Definitely. But at the same time, Russia doesn't have as open borders as Europe and the States/Canada. There are visas requirements, not so many direct flies and etc. Also, people in regions (especially elderly) usually can't really afford traveling abroad. Of course, it's not relevant for cities like Moscow, St Petersburg, Ekaterinburg and other huge international centers, but it's definitely a case for regions.

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Went to the bank. Streets downtown here (3 blocks from the White House) are quieter than a normal Sunday. Pret is open; Gap store open with a sign announcing reduced hours. There is never anyone in the bank normally and the tellers are behind glass so that was no biggie.

flyingsit

In Denver all bars and restaurants are closed for in-person dining effective 8 am tomorrow. Carryout and delivery are acceptable.

ChelleC

Oh that's probably going to freak a lot of people out. Not to mention not everyone has access to online ordering.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Oh that's probably going to freak a lot of people out. Not to mention not everyone has access to online ordering.
Yup. Our Senior Center helps people do online shopping, except the Senior Center is closed. Same with the city Library and all the in school computer resource centers. If you don't have your own equipment and connection, this will be tough.

ballettmaus

So, the neighbor's kid has a 102 fever and a cough (which, as far as I know, appeared overnight). She's the perfect example for why self-isolation is so important. I watched her last Tuesday after school and while my mom didn't come into contact with her, I came into contact with my mom who is a pre-school/kindergarten teacher which is attached to a school. My dad who did come into contact with the girl is tutoring kids at the school. And I was at the school myself on Wednesday. And that's just our side and not taking into account everyone else who the girl and her family came into contact with.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
@PRlady, here you go:

D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser will order restaurants and bars in the District to close to help contain the ******** ********* today, according to multiple sources in the mayor’s office. She is scheduled to speak at a 4 p.m. press conference.

Reported by DCist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information