News and Experiences #Thread1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
No coffee? No Kindle? Wow, that is awful, @Susan1
I am leaving for work in a few minutes.
ER staff have been violating protocol on handling suspected ********* specimens left and right but the lab still has to process them. We do not have the correct masks. We are short staffed under normal circumstances and it will be worse now because of the schools closing.
But I will be thinking of you today and hoping you aren’t too bored.
Stay safe.

MsZem

I am leaving for work in a few minutes.
ER staff have been violating protocol on handling suspected ********* specimens left and right but the lab still has to process them. We do not have the correct masks. We are short staffed under normal circumstances and it will be worse now because of the schools closing.
Oh wow, @Marge_Simpson. We all have challenges these days but what you're dealing with certainly puts it in perspective. Thank you for all that you do and for sharing your experience with us. Sending good thoughts your way...

Ka3sha

St Petersburg, Russia.
Officially we have 5 cases of ********* here (+ 2 cases in Leningrad region right outside the city) and hundreds on quarantine.
I am working at one of the state universities. Starting from today all students are learning online. As of tomorrow/Wednesday, all employees will work from home and can come to office for 2-3 hours in cases of necessity, no more than 2 people in each office at time.

I think everyone including authorities understand that there are more cases of *********, but not enough people are being tested for it. But to be fair, authorities and medical services work quickly and in coherent manner in all confirmed cases (based on social media and interviews with people on quarantine/with confirmed *********).

Last edited:

judiz

Now I have a problem with this approach. They don’t need to tell you who the parent is, but one of you could have a high risk family member. We need to stop thinking about people’s feelings and start over reacting. What we want is for it to be July and everyone to say how much we all over reacted.

I have asthma and am on immune suppressing medications, our preschool teacher had heart surgery three weeks ago, the other Pre K teacher has a husband who had open heart surgery after a massive coronary.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I walked the 3+ miles down to my office. I am the only one in.

Traffic is light in D.C. People are out walking dogs and running, a few people waiting at the bus stops. I didn't walk down a commercial street so didn't see if anything is open.

Dave of the North

My wife has a foot appointment today to adjust orthotics etc. They called and canceled because we had been out of the country less than a month ago. They said people are calling them up and asking them if any of their clients had been away and cancelling if they won't guarantee all their clients haven't been away for at least a month. (These paranoid clients are probably the same ones driving around from store to store looking for toilet paper.)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
We're all in, but we each have private offices and are able to distance ourselves very easily. As long as we don't have to go over to the hospital to help, we'll all be fine at work. If the situation becomes so that we do then heaven help us all. Even though there are no "reported" cases in the state, everybody is assuming they just haven't been reported and acting as if there are hundreds including the governor and most big city mayors.

I donated hand soap to our student food pantry a couple of weeks ago and realized today I didn't have but 2 bars left at home along with 1 bottle of shower gel :drama: I have 3 huge bottles of antibacterial hand soap and a full bottle of chlorohexidine so I should be fine, but I'm going over to CVS after while and get a couple of bottles of shower gel. I have hand sanitizer in my office and sitting just outside my backdoor in my garage so I can keep the house a clean zone. I'm trying to do the same with the inside of my car.

I already have students calling in saying they have the sniffles and aren't going to clinic. Oddly enough, it's the same students who often call in with one complaint or another. :lol:

Susan1

good -

:eek:
https://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2...reak-*********-19-prepared-may-contingencies/

skatingguy

Golden Team
Javier Fernandez doing his part.

Javier Fernandez @javierfernandez

20m

#QuédateEnCasa como yo. Hazlo por ti. Hazlo por todos. Es nuestra responsabilidad. Venceremos

#YoMeQuedoEnCasa.⁣ ⁣ #StayHome like me. Do It for yourself. Do it for everyone. It's our responsibility. We will overcome this

#IamStayingHome #covid_19 #********

Susan1

This started today. They do the first two whenever there is a regular flu outbreak, but can you imagine if you have already been in the hospital for a broken bone or other medical reasons, or having a baby, which is mentioned.
https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...mid-********-outbreak/13IcrlkXRFovySH2HIgn4J/
No visitors under the age of 14;
No visitation by anyone with symptoms of the seasonal flu or ******** including shortness of breath, coughing, fever, chills, headache, vomiting, sore throat, muscle aches or diarrhea;
Patients will be allowed one visitor per day. Visitation will only be allowed by spouses, significant others, parents or legal guardians. (Patients of Dayton Children’s Hospital will be allowed two parents or guardians per day);
Emergency department patients may have one support person.;
Obstetrics patients may have one partner and one birth-support person;
Patients requiring assistance due to mobility, interpretation or health-care decision-making may have one additional assistance person.
When visiting a patient, visitors will be asked to primarily remain in the room with the patient.
There are exceptions for special circumstances, especially end-of-life situations.

acraven

The Comcast free-access period for HBO continues today. I believe it ends at midnight tonight. Cinemax is included (or at least it was yesterday; I haven't checked today). Break out that old VCR and record some comedies.

Last edited:

Dave of the North

My financial advisor called me about our appointment later today - we are going to do it on the phone. This is a new guy so we haven't met before. One good thing about our financial situation is that our only debts are our car loan, and our current credit card balance - which is mostly for the trip to Spain we are planning for late September. It's a sunk cost so can't worry too much about it.

ETA - on a bridge discussion board there was a post that someone who had attended a tournament in Tucson was being tested. The person in question later posted and explained what was happening - he started the symptoms, got tested for the flu first, then had the ******** test. He's in self-isolation and still waiting for the results

Susan1

The Comcast free-access period for HBO continues today. I believe it ends at midnight tonight. Cinemax is included (or at least it as yesterday; I haven't checked today). Break out that old VCR and record some comedies.
I was thinking earlier that I wish AT&T would give a free month of Hallmark Movies and Mysteries to people who don't have that tier. I accidentally hit that channel and it says on the screen you are not subscribed to this channel, but on the pop up thing, it shows that Monk is on.

I am so discombobulated and it's only Monday. I was going to wait to take a shower till after I brought in the mail and throw away the outsides or ads. Then I got dressed. And checked for the mail. It's not there. So then I went in and took a shower anyway and I'll have to get dressed again. Sheesh.

Gov. Cuomo was on MSNBC when I got out - people are allowed to "carry out" alcohol from restaurants. And what, have a party? I didn't watch the whole thing. Fees at parks are free. So take your kids outside and have them sneeze on the swings and everything? It's not like people are just going to walk around on trails or whatever with their hands in their pockets.

And all these grab and go lunches. Do they all go at once? Kids ride buses to school. Someone will have to drive them individually?

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....
I guess we are hunkered down for the duration. Starbucks is take out only so it is coffee brewed at home.

i am worried about the two Canes who are hunkered down in their little hut, staring out at me. They haven’t gotten the message yet on social distancing. :p :p :p :p

My system crashed over the weekend and I lost a lot of stuff. Some I can get back from backups but I lost a lot of weather data and blew away my tax software. At least it is giving me something to do over the next few weeks...

ETA: Greenland has its first case. There are a little over 30 countries left who haven’t had a case....

Last edited:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
There is a grocery store chain here that is reserving the first hour 9:00-10:00 am for the elderly or vulnerable to do their shopping. The idea is obviously the stores are freshly cleaned and they don't have to be around the general public with greater chances of exposure.

Just thought I´d share for anyone who might want to suggest that to your own local grocery store to see if they might implement something similar.

skoppa

Living in the North
There is a grocery store chain here that is reserving the first hour 9:00-10:00 am for the elderly or vulnerable to do their shopping. The idea is obviously the stores are freshly cleaned and they don't have to be around the general public with greater chances of exposure.

Just thought I´d share for anyone who might want to suggest that to your own local grocery store to see if they might implement something similar.
They are doing it also in Iceland
For the whole country or at least the most populated areas.

Susan1

My friend Jill in Australia said theirs is 7-8 a.m. I can't use my hands or drive in the dark that early

attyfan

In our area, there are a number of young neighbors on Nextdoor volunteering to shop or pick up Rx's for those who are staying home.

Same in Ventura (my next door neighbor came over to offer the same for us). Also, some congregations are getting together to try to set something up city-wide, and others are doing it in house. Some people are really trying to help.

Susan1

In our area, there are a number of young neighbors on Nextdoor volunteering to shop or pick up Rx's for those who are staying home.
Thanks, but I can do stuff for myself in the afternoons when I have to. Now I'm thinking that people will be bringing their kids to the stores. I go during the week when kids are in school and most people are working.

It would be nice to live somewhere where neighbors help instead of parking their cars to block the snow plow, throw rocks in your yard so they don't hit it with their mower. And my Catholic church (I don't go anymore, but anyway........) is terrible. I emailed asking for recommendations of someone to do odd jobs (not for free), she said she didn't know anyone, and sent it to the priest, he emailed her back that it was "not in their ballpark" but he would pray for me.

I wonder if I will even be able to get my prednisone in another three weeks. Maybe Caresource will make an announcement that you don't have to wait till you have less than a week's supply. It's on automatic renewal. They are supposed to call you when it's ready, but they never do. If you call to renew it though, they recognize the phone number and tell you it's ready.

I was thinking I could write to the doctor's office website and she could just start a new one. That happened once already when they asked if I needed refills when I was in there and I said no but they did it anyway. So I had two prescriptions and had to use the old one first before it expired. CVS did a printout for me so I wouldn't have to keep looking at the bottles.

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member

Lidl Ireland have announced they are doing something similar here.

Polaris

Pres Trump told a group of governors today they should not wait for federal govt to fill growing demand for respirators needed to help people w/ ********, per NYT. “Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,” he said.

We are f*cked.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
maybe not, if we dispense with expecting WH leadership and act accordingly we can probably deal better under the circumstances.

Governors and state officials will be working with parts of the Federal Government but they all just need to work around the White House. Not ideal obviously but just do what you need to do.
True and it's a really sad state of affairs with the POTUS essentially says you're on your own. I hope people remember that in November.

Polaris

maybe not, if we dispense with expecting WH leadership and act accordingly we can probably deal better under the circumstances.

Governors and state officials will be working with parts of the Federal Government but they all just need to work around the White House. Not ideal obviously but just do what you need to do.

Yes I think not having WH in action would actually be better. BUT, where are state govs supposed to go find respirators? To Home Depot?

Ka3sha

And starting from today all people who wish can be tested for ******** for free at most of public hospitals and clinics in all city districts of St Petersburg.

That’s definitely some good news, even through I assume there will be a big increase in numbers in official ‘reported’ cases.

Bad news: Some sacred relics were brought to the city last week and are currently in Kazansky cathedral in the city center. People (mostly elderly, of course) are standing in line to kiss those relics:fragile:
And the Church does nothing to prevent it...

barbk

True and it's a really sad state of affairs with the POTUS essentially says you're on your own. I hope people remember that in November.

There are a whole bunch of folks (not me!) who think this is all good because Trump is just restoring the rightful balance between the states and federal government. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information