News and Experiences #Thread1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparks

Here is an update from my friend who is a PharmD. She works at the poison control center.

"I've been working the last couple of days. The poison center is helping answer the NM Dept of Health ********* ***** hot line and it has been just crazy. Info is changing hourly. Callers are having to wait 30+ minutes to get through due to the high volume, everyone is stressed and scared. The poison center's employees are working 12 hour shifts just to help and there is no end in sight."

God bless those who are on the front lines.

kedrin

Agree, although the market within walking distance of my house wouldn’t even be my third choice, I will buy frozen, canned and boxed things there. I’ll get meat/produce at the farm stand.
The Brooklyn Grand Army Plaza farmers market was open- it didn't seem any more crowded than usual. I got some bread and honey. Also buying local, I guess.

clairecloutier

In my experience the big change comes at 70. My parents were vital through their 60s with no real changes from their 50s. But in their 70s is when aging became noticeable.

That’s just what I’ve seen with my parents. For them, there’s been a pretty big difference from pre-75 to 75+. They have become much more cautious and frail just in the last 2-3 years. (They are turning 78 this year.) they have mostly avoided going out since Christmas, first due to the flu and now ********.

In other news, my husband is complaining about how much money we’ve spent on groceries the last few days. Well, it will all get eaten/used up eventually ....

AxelAnnie

Graceful men lift lovely girls in white!
We left Canada two weeks ago planning to spend the month of March in Palm Springs and then visit out children that live in the US, returning to Canada April 9th. Our home in Alberta is sold and we have to be out by April 24th. We decided Thursday it was just too scary and although we were in a lovely location - we need to get home. We are at our daughter's now outside of Las Vegas and had planned to leave today for home but the roads are apparently very bad in southern Alberta and so we have decided to wait one more day. Riverside county, where we were, has only 10 reported cases, I believe, but we are watching the news of the border very closely. I am not sure they would try to keep returning Canadians out as there are so very many snowbirds, all in the higher risk category for age if not health, making their way home. I have a serious lung disorder so family and friends are constantly calling and texting me. It sounds like we would go into self quarantine at home - which is just fine. Uncertainty is such a huge stress trigger and I will feel so much better to be back home.
You might want to see if all parties would be interested in delaying the move date. I would not want to hire movers right now.

PRlady

:lol:. Whole wheat pasta (which I love!) was also still left. As well as standard spaghetti.

I don't think gf pasta is all that bad - I can taste the difference, but it's not completely awful.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to come? Everything is shut down. The best case is that people will have a boring, frustrating vacation. The worst case is that they will be in a country on lock down with no medical insurance and no way to get home.

I really don't use much toilet paper (which I'm reminded of every time I have a female houseguest and run out - some of my repeat guests have taken to bringing their own toilet paper, because they know I'm infamously bad at not buying toilet paper until the roll has almost run out :lol:).

Thank god, I have three rolls, which is unusual for me.... because a friend who was house sitting while I was in the US bought a four-pack. I swear that from now on I'm going to keep a 24-pack or similar of toilet paper in a closet, and no house guest will ever experience a shortage.
I didn’t notice a TP shortage in your bathroom but there is no place to put one’s makeup while putting it on. :drama:

I’m over 60 and getting debilitated from my stomach woes. The only good thing about it is that I’ve pretty much self-quarantined since the end of February except a few trips to the store and a few home visitors.

Last edited:

aftershocks

The ******** itself can’t be accused of being racist or discriminatory.
That's obvious though. It's the same as bombs, once launched, not caring who they maim and kill. It's humans who should have a clue and a conscience and far too often, don't.

In any case, 'racism' and the idea of 'race' in and of itself, is a manmade social/economic construct, dating from the late 1700s into the 1800s, re how it evolved and developed. Books have been and are being written about this in academia mostly, not the mainstream.

Maofan7

Adjusting to culture shock of working from home
What is it with the Daily Mail - as most of their very own readers are pointing out in the comments sections, the paper seems to be going out of their way to whip up panic! I was out shopping today and I saw no evidence of queues, empty shelves, or panic buying. This kind of exaggerated and sensationalist journalism is completely irresponsible!

aftershocks

^^ Honestly, I try to avoid the Daily Mail, like the plague! Just don't give those vipers clicks.

I'm staying home tonight and gathering up yarn to knit. I'm already so bored, I just started watching a DVR'ed Hallmark Christmas movie hahaha.
Knitting sounds marvelous. You may be able to finish one of your current knitwear projects. :) If you have Netflix, it is possible to binge. Work on some home-related project or clutter organizing project you may have been putting off, etc. :shuffle: Read books you haven't had time for (on kindle and on library Overdrives, if not manually). Re-read your fave books. Sit down and write letters for a change. Work on jigsaw puzzles. Play solitaire. :lol: Text and Skype like mad. Overdose on favorite figure skating performance videos. There's an endless offering, obviously... I'm just a little upset about having wasted money on my most recent transit pass. But oh well. I feel safer not venturing out too much, sadly not even to work out at the Y. Luckily, we have fitness equipment available in our building.

Jimena

I suspect some of these hope to resell on amazon or ebay. I just read an article about a Canadian couple who made 70K selling stuff at highly inflated rates on amazon. But, when supplies continue to be delivered and in a week or so, they're going to be stuck with a lot of TP.
Here's a NYT article on people hoarding stuff to sell at inflated rates right here. Personally, I think they're awful people.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
But the situation is galloping along in Europe, and still I see folks (on a travel board, not here) trying to convince themselves that it will be OK to cross the Atlantic in April.
The travel groups I'm part of still have people in the "this better not mess with my plans" camp :wall: Although I'm also starting to hear about long-term travelers with no permanent home who are getting stuck in countries whose borders are closing, as well as Airbnbs and guest houses.

What is it with the Daily Mail - as most of their very own readers are pointing out in the comments sections, the paper seems to be going out of their way to whip up panic!
That's what the Daily Mail does. As does the NY Post.

kedrin

The travel groups I'm part of still have people in the "this better not mess with my plans" camp :wall: Although I'm also starting to hear about long-term travelers with no permanent home who are getting stuck in countries whose borders are closing, as well as Airbnbs and guest houses.
Slight thread hijack, sorry. Since I love travel, and have never really found a travel forum that I like, do you have any suggestions for good ones?

mag

I suspect some of these hope to resell on amazon or ebay. I just read an article about a Canadian couple who made 70K selling stuff at highly inflated rates on amazon. But, when supplies continue to be delivered and in a week or so, they're going to be stuck with a lot of TP.
They actually bought up pallets of Lysol wipes. Amazon has suspended their account. Apparently there is a rule for Amazon sellers about how much you can mark something up. They have been left with a whole bunch of wipes and I am not feeling terribly sorry for them.

acraven

I really don't understand this over 60 thing. 60 is not that old! Most of my friends my age are all working and most are training for triathlons. We may have injuries and they may heal slightly slower than in our 50s but not that much slower I certainly don't get sick any easier than I did 3 years ago. It just seems weird to me. Even if they said 65 and up, it would make more sense (I can see the recovery difference in my 60-65 friends vs. my 65+ friends.)
Being retired, I've had time to read through a lot of articles about this thing, and it's true that the riskiness of age is often alluded to but not generally explained in any detail. I assume there just hasn't been time for in-depth analysis of the data, beyond noting that the incidence of severe disease and of death is considerably higher in older populations.

I found this article (labeled "Opinion") on the CNN website very interesting and recommend it to everyone--while noting that I have no medical training and am just reacting to its apparent reasonableness: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/opinions/********-vulnerability-while-sleeping-bruce-davidson/index.html. I think someone posted the link here yesterday. The doctor--an expert in respiratory transmission of infection--suggests some common-sense things one can do that may reduce the risk of becoming infected.

From the article: "First, most of our noses and throats carry safe bacteria, not microbes like ******** that can cause pneumonia. Second, our deep lung has some cells that kill microbes that arrive there...Lastly, healthy people have a robust system for transporting the aspirated viruses and bacteria up the windpipes and dropping it in the esophagus, where it is swallowed and begins to be digested with the saliva we make...Daytime (waking) aspiration, such as when food goes down the wrong pipe, is coughed up -- if you have a normal cough reflex and a strong cough. Each of these protective factors for relatively young and healthy people can be impaired with lung disease and advancing age." [emphasis mine]

BaileyCatts

So everyone wiping down their houses with all these Clorox and Lysol wipes ...... isn't that dangerous for pets in the house if everything is coated with Clorox?? I mean pets lick stuff, you know? You can't tell them not to.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
Random musings...

More chaos at Sam's Club this morning. I passed by there at about 7:30AM on my way to the post office and the parking lot was jam packed. I can't even imagine what it must have been like inside.

Side question - is the risk large or small that the ***** can be transfered through the mail system via all the mail handling by consumers as well as post office employees? Seems like it should be reasonably small without close contact between me and postal workers, but I'm curious what others think.

I work as a contractor at the local homeless shelter providing alcohol & drug counseling to men who are there as part of a 6-month life recovery program. This agency's Program Director and Executive Director have been out of town for the past week at a conference in Washington DC. I am 1) surprised they both went and 2) surprised that one or both did not return early as this ******** scare is escalating so quickly. So as far as I know right now, no official protocols have been put in place to keep the agency's clients and staff as safe as possible. Many local homeless people go there daily for meals (3 hots a day are offered). There is an emergency shelter for men and a transitional housing program for women and children in addition to the 6-month program I work with. So it's a large operation with a lot of different facets, and many people in very close quarters. On the surface I was thinking that the homeless population here is probably somewhat low risk due to the fact that their radius of travel is typically small (that will change dramatically and quickly if someone contracts the ***** due to the close quarters..). However I was reminded last week that a number of our clients travel by train into Chicago to panhandle, and that is the epicenter for Illinois. I have been e-mailing my main contact asking about plans and protocols, and still no response. I am frustrated beyond belief and very worried about the population we serve - the most vulnerable in our community.

I have some specific clients I see for counseling who are already transitioned out to permanent housing, and I have no official guidance yet about whether the agency is recommending them to stay home or come to counseling. If I don't hear anything official by tomorrow, I think I am going to contact these clients and suggest they stay home. Given the lack of communication about any sort of plan, I'm thinking it might be safest for me to stay out of there. That gives me a vibe of "taking care of myself because I am privileged to have a home, and leaving the homeless to the wolves." I truly don't want to be that person.

If anyone else here works for social service agencies in the US that HAVE developed plans (especially for serving homeless) I would be interested to hear what your agencies are doing.

Thanks for listening - I'm just frustrated and needing to vent. At least I have toilet paper.

aftershocks

We left Canada two weeks ago planning to spend the month of March in Palm Springs and then visit out children that live in the US, returning to Canada April 9th. Our home in Alberta is sold and we have to be out by April 24th. We decided Thursday it was just too scary and although we were in a lovely location - we need to get home. We are at our daughter's now outside of Las Vegas and had planned to leave today for home but the roads are apparently very bad in southern Alberta and so we have decided to wait one more day. Riverside county, where we were, has only 10 reported cases, I believe, but we are watching the news of the border very closely. I am not sure they would try to keep returning Canadians out as there are so very many snowbirds, all in the higher risk category for age if not health, making their way home. I have a serious lung disorder so family and friends are constantly calling and texting me. It sounds like we would go into self quarantine at home - which is just fine. Uncertainty is such a huge stress trigger and I will feel so much better to be back home.
Be safe @puglover. ♥

Lizziebeth

They actually bought up pallets of Lysol wipes. Amazon has suspended their account. Apparently there is a rule for Amazon sellers about how much you can mark something up. They have been left with a whole bunch of wipes and I am not feeling terribly sorry for them.
I have a small supply of hand sanitizer and I noticed there is an expiration date on the bottles. I never realized that. Of course, those sellers could ship it to people anyway since the buyer would not be able to check the bottles. People can be such jerks.

MsZem

I've come across situations when people who are taken advantage of money-wise respond with "keep it and use it for medications", which is a very "bless your heart" response and it quite appropriate in this case.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF

I found this article (labeled "Opinion") on the CNN website very interesting and recommend it to everyone--while noting that I have no medical training and am just reacting to its apparent reasonableness: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/opinions/********-vulnerability-while-sleeping-bruce-davidson/index.html. I think someone posted the link here yesterday. The doctor--an expert in respiratory transmission of infection--suggests some common-sense things one can do that may reduce the risk of becoming infected.

Thanks for sharing this article. If any folks around here with medical training can weigh in on the validity, this actually helps me with some of the decisions I may need to make relative to the rant I just posted!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
So everyone wiping down their houses with all these Clorox and Lysol wipes ...... isn't that dangerous for pets in the house if everything is coated with Clorox?? I mean pets lick stuff, you know? You can't tell them not to.
Yes, it can be. I only spray door handles and light switches where the dogs won't be. These are the items that you might reinfect when you enter your house. I keep a bottle of disinfectant by the outside door. When I worked full time in the hospital, we always came straight home and took off our scrubs in the garage, left shoes outside and took then took a shower because you never knew what you picked up in the hospital. I never understood people who went to the grocery store in their work scrubs. I've started doing that again with regular clothes. Then you keep the inside of your house clean.

acraven

@Doggygirl: With respect to ******** on mail...

A new study (not yet peer-reviewed) indicates that the ***** can live for varying lengths of time on different types of surfaces. I've linked to an NPR write-up about the results, but other online sources also picked up the story; you can find them easily with Google. This is the key information:

"But how long can the new ******** linger on surfaces, anyway? The short answer is, we don't know. A new analysis found that the ***** can remain viable in the air for up to 3 hours, on copper for up to 4 hours, on cardboard up to 24 hours and on plastic and stainless steel up to 2 to 3 days."

Supposing that mail is closer to cardboard than to metal or plastic surfaces, I would think (Alert! I have no training in this area!) that just leaving your mail in a cardboard box somewhere for at least 24 hours would do the trick.

In truth, I've been bothered from the beginning by the extremely heavy emphasis on washing hands and using hand sanitizer. Not that those things are unimportant or useless, but I suspect it's easier to become infected by breathing in infected droplets from someone's sneeze, cough, or exhalation. I'm seriously worried about people who think they can spend time in crowded places and avoid contagion by washing/sanitizing their hands. But, again, I am not a doctor.

SHARPIE

Administrator
Staff member
I am about to quit my retail job. After four hours today I’m done. I’m sorry I’m not posting the details publically I will do in SS.

Susan1

I really don't understand this over 60 thing. 60 is not that old! Most of my friends my age are all working and most are training for triathlons. We may have injuries and they may heal slightly slower than in our 50s but not that much slower I certainly don't get sick any easier than I did 3 years ago. It just seems weird to me. Even if they said 65 and up, it would make more sense (I can see the recovery difference in my 60-65 friends vs. my 65+ friends.)
Yeah, I've had rheumatoid arthritis for 10 and fibromyalgia for 20 years. I don't have any internal organ problems. I haven't been "sick" since 1994 (Knocking on lots of wood here.......) except for sinus infections and seasonal allergies. I only ever sneeze from dust or smells, like cleaning products.

I agree with @Susan1 that it's like living through a tornado watch. You know there will probably be tornados, you know they will touch down somewhere if they materialize, but you don't know where or when or if you or your loved ones will be impacted at all.
It's worse than a tornado watch. People just go about their business in Ohio during a watch. It's not like on t.v. where they say there's a tornado watch two seconds before it hits. A tornado watch is "conditions are favorable". It's the warnings, when you watch the radar all night to make sure it's not coming this way. But we don't even have one real tornado siren each year, which doesn't mean it is going to hit your house. They are if one is spotted in the area on the ground or on radar, and they can disappear just as fast. ******** sirens are going off everywhere.
So everyone wiping down their houses with all these Clorox and Lysol wipes ...... isn't that dangerous for pets in the house if everything is coated with Clorox??
I would think so. Sanitize your hands and then pick up a cookie. Doesn't taste good. And cleaning products burn my nose and throat. I haven't been able to find a glass cleaner that I can stand anymore, even the ones without ammonia, since the old Glass Plus. I remember a long time ago they said not to use Febreeze on dog beds (pets, whatever) because of the chemicals. Maybe just sanitize above the pets reach.
is the risk large or small that the ***** can be transfered through the mail system via all the mail handling by consumers as well as post office employees? Seems like it should be reasonably small without close contact between me and postal workers, but I'm curious what others think.
I brought in two ads, threw them in the garage trash can and then washed my hands, as an Amazon Prime van was going by (funny). I can't throw everything away. They only address cardboard packaging when they talk about things that come in the mail. I don't order anything online.

I am going to post the Ohio press conference next, so double post......

Last edited:

Susan1

I was reading and I just happened to turn on the t.v. at 2:20 to have my snack (low blood sugar around that time every day) and the Ohio press conference was starting. Apparently they will have them at 2 p.m. every day, except tomorrow unless something happens. Who would have been watching local t.v. on a Saturday afternoon, except for my dad, because when they were done, it went back to golf. I had to type up my notes soon so I can still remember, so.

Just different stuff besides the usual hand washing, schools, day cares -

There are now 26 positive in Ohio, between the ages of 31 and 86 (my aunt is not 86 yet - geez.), 12 female, 14 male. 264 people are awaiting test results. The counties are the same. Plus the new person in Columbus/Franklin County.

They did a lot on people with mental health and substance abuse problems being able to use telehealth, since they can’t go anywhere in person.

General mental health stuff, of course, like limit your media exposure, while saying that at 2:30 on a Saturday afternoon on t.v. But yeah, only listen to trusted sources (like not the president, she didn’t say) and go to ********.ohio.gov.

Weird - dentists and veterinarians should postpone elective surgeries. Elective dental and vet surgery? Neither of those would perform elective surgery. It’s surgery, not a teeth cleaning or getting your dog’s nails cut. It’s not like your dog is getting a nose job or a tummy tuck. (Yeah, I know like spaying or something?) Then later they mentioned the lack of masks and if dentists or vets had a surplus the hospitals could use them.

When they have the drive-up tests, you can’t just drive up. You have to be screened by your doctor first, who will determine if you need to be tested. Alrighty then. Why bother?

The peak could be May. This Dr. Acton is too flip, making jokes and stuff. She is the Public Health Director, probably a republican like the governor. She kept saying PUI. I figured it out - Person Under Investigation.

She used a stupid hurricane reference; you know it’s coming, prepare, it’s just raining now. Uh, we don’t have hurricanes in Ohio. And in hurricane areas, you can leave before the hurricane hits. She should have used tornado. You get a watch, then a warning and hide in the bathroom, but the whole house falls down around you anyway.

DeWine actually almost poo-poo’d trump. He said we can’t let this happen again and not be prepared and be spreading rumors that the ***** is Chinese. That’s what I wrote down. He said things a better way. And people are supposed to be helping each other. If you have too much of something (MILK???), actually probably referring to toilet paper, share it with your neighbor. ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information