News and Experiences #Thread1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Actually it is one of Mr. Cane’s favorite treat. I find them when I weed the garden. He is a white grub junkie. 🐸 :p
Darn, I was going to invite him over to check to see what else was in our organic veg, but the one I found was black, not white.

once_upon

New condo owner
Omaha has several patients in the biocontainment unit at UNMC. We had a group that was quarantined for 14 days. I suppose I could panic after all it is in our community. But I trust that precautions are being carried for. One patient with pneumonia symptoms is enrolled in a clinical trial for a medical treatment.

For the time being I'm more concerned about Influenza a or b

Frau Muller

Everything is beautiful at the ballet!
Another cruise ship has been detained because a crew member is suspected of being infected with ********* virus (this time in Jamaica and Cayman):
https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-cruise-ship-blocked-ports-130754323.html

Related to this - It was so sad to wander into our local Chinese food restaurant for lunch today and see the place almost empty, whereas before it was brimming over with customers. Just because it's a Chinese place?!

Lacey

This turned out ironically.
One night, this Iranian official was on US network news, saying, ya well we don't have it.
The next night there he was pouring sweat from his forehead, sneezing and coughing, and they had to admit, oops, he was sick after all.
Something Mr. T. might do...

FGRSK8

Toad whisperer.....

Louis

I actually think Trump is making more sense than most people about the ********.

People have the flu. It happens every year. A few, who are elderly, young, or have other serious health problems have died. People die from the normal flu. People die from automobile accidents every day. People die from gunshots every day in the US. This doesn't mean everyone needs to be on lock down, quarantine, etc. Use common sense!

Because of this "********" branding, everyone has lost their damn minds.

Polaris

^masks are OOS and going for several hundred on amazon.

Hand sanitizers are selling out as well.

AxelAnnie

Graceful men lift lovely girls in white!
Another cruise ship has been detained because a crew member is suspected of being infected with ********* virus (this time in Jamaica and Cayman):
https://www.yahoo.com/news/second-cruise-ship-blocked-ports-130754323.html

Related to this - It was so sad to wander into our local Chinese food restaurant for lunch today and see the place almost empty, whereas before it was brimming over with customers. Just because it's a Chinese place?!
Yes. Just because it is a Chinese place. The virus began in China. Chinese people are the most likely to have relatives in China. Chinese people who work in Chinese restaurants are the most likely to visit relatives in China. Not a surprise that people are avoiding Chinese restaurants. People now are beginning to avoid large gatherings of any kind any place. It is certainly not racially based. It is a question geography with regard to this particular illness.

Sparks

Yes, more people have the flu and die from the flu. It is largely preventable via flu shots. We are in unknown territory with the ********.
We just don't know.

MacMadame

My G.O.A.T is better than your G.O.A.T.
Staff member
I went to three major stores today to buy surgical face masks & everyone was sold out.
Well surgical face masks do nothing to keep well people from getting sick so you saved some money.

Yes. Just because it is a Chinese place. The virus began in China. Chinese people are the most likely to have relatives in China. Chinese people who work in Chinese restaurants are the most likely to visit relatives in China. Not a surprise that people are avoiding Chinese restaurants. People now are beginning to avoid large gatherings of any kind any place. It is certainly not racially based. It is a question geography with regard to this particular illness.
It's completely racial based. As has been pointed out several times, there are protocols for people coming from China that would prevent your imagined scenario. Also, no one is avoiding Italian restaurants and they have an outbreak there too.

As far as "people" avoiding large gatherings, I drove down to LA and went to Disneyland last weekend. Plenty of people and no one wearing masks. :D

KCC

No one wearing masks at the San Diego airport, either. Or the zoo or other attractions here.

mollymgr

The mayor of San Francisco has declared a state of emergency with 0 cases. It appears that it is causing more confusion. :shuffle:

skatingguy

Golden Team
The mayor of San Francisco has declared a state of emergency with 0 cases. It appears that it is causing more confusion. :shuffle:
It seemed weird at first, but apparently doing so frees up money that can be used to plan so it might be a prudent move.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
People have the flu. It happens every year. A few, who are elderly, young, or have other serious health problems have died. People die from the normal flu.
More than the elderly, young and immunocompromised have died from regular flu this year; we've lost several young, otherwise healthy patients in our ICU in the past few months. Just because *********-19 is new and unknown doesn't mean that folks aren't protecting themselves against the known as well. (Of course, it doesn't help that this year's flu vaccine has been less effective even than usual).

Good reminder to folks to use some freaking common sense, Louis.

aftershocks

** Anti-bacterial soaps aren't any better than plain soaps. :eek:

Hand sanitizers are selling out as well.
The above intensive prep list article indicates that hand sanitizers tend to be anti-bacterial, which is not very helpful. Obtaining or making anti-viral hand sanitizers is better. As is using Lysol wipes to clean surfaces. The article is very comprehensive.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 150
Breaking news in Japan:

Yesterday's news:
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe earlier called for sports and cultural events to be scrapped or curtailed for two weeks as the country battles to stem infections, amid mounting concerns the 2020 Tokyo Olympics could be canceled.

____

Did you do this sort of stuff for the Bird Flu or SARS? I am doing nothing because that's what I did for those pandemics.

ETA "you" means "anyone reading this"
I imported alcohol sanitizer (Purell) through Amazon a week ago since I couldn't find 1ml of them at any reasonable/acceptable price (there are some on net but stores jacked up the price like x15) here in Japan. It's the only thing that I bought as a stock at this point. I can still buy enough foods and paper (including toilet paper) in my town. I'm thinking about buying cold med which includes good amount of expectorant to prepare for unfortunate catching *********-19. I didn't buy anything for SARDS or bird flu.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
You don't need alcohol based gel hand sanitizers at home. Just use soap and water and wash your hands frequently. There's greater risk using the antibacterial hand sanitizers since they don't kill viruses anyway. Antibiotic resistant bacteria is a much greater issue. I do not buy any antibacterial products any more. If you're still concerned buy a cheap bottle of isopropyl alcohol and make your own alcohol wipes. The hand sanitizers are only helpful if you don't have access to soap and water. The key is to wash often and don't touch your face. And wash thoroughly. There are all sorts of hand washing protocols on the internet.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 150
Just to show you how much we still don't know about this virus....

This woman's case gave sorta shock to people around me today. How tough it would be to kill the virus completely.

BTW, another unfortunate thing I learned about the virus was that the pneumonia caused by *********-19 can leave honeycomb-shaped holes in people’s lungs, and there will remain after-effects even if there is complete recovery from the disease.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
From our hospital infection control director
Prevention:

It is cold and flu season so routine prevention should be in place at all times:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Stay home when you are sick. Employee health policy states that employees should be fever-free for 24 hours prior to returning to work and should wear a mask if exhibiting ongoing respiratory illness symptoms.
· Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and then throw the tissue in the trash.
· Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.

Masks are not currently recommended by the CDC for everyday use in the United States as risk remains low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information