New positive case at Worlds

clairecloutier

The ISU announced that another positive *********-19 was found at Worlds.

I think this is the third case?

Excerpt from the statement:

Amongst these numerous tests, an additional positive case was identified. The ISU and Organizing Committee will respect the privacy of the respective person and inform the remaining Event Participants internally of the situation ....

The close contacts cases were quickly identified, investigated and tested. The ISU can confirm that the PCR tests of the close contact cases were all negative and the positive case is in quarantine as per the ISU Health Regulations and the Swedish authorities rules.

Colonel Green

The close contacts cases were quickly identified, investigated and tested. The ISU can confirm that the PCR tests of the close contact cases were all negative and the positive case is in quarantine as per the ISU Health Regulations and the Swedish authorities rules.
This is completely useless. All close contacts need to be quarantined for two weeks.

As this very case shows, since to get into the bubble they had to pass multiple PCR tests already.

Carolla5501

Honestly if the ISU wants to respect everyone’s privacy no more press releases. End of discussion - you don’t need to do a press release you just handle the situation

As is evidenced in this thread, all the press releases are doing is inciting gossip. now we’ve accuse people on having ********* who may not but due to a timing coincidence of them leaving. This is inappropriate behavior by the ISU, it is not public information that someone was diagnosed with ********* and they did not need to issue a press release every time it happens.

If the skater or their team want to tell people if they were or were not diagnosed that’s their decision. But he press releases are providing no real information and Are just possibly creating misinformation

Sylvia

Off season is club competition season!
Apparently this third positive test was Armenian ice dancer Simon Proulx-Sénécal which was a false positive according to Tina Garabedian's video message on instagram.

ETA that Simon also posted the same video on his Instagram (message is written in his native French): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNDAs6MpUzR/

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I think the decision to post this video is going to hurt them more than help them. The accusatory tone is a little over the top and those officials you’re trying to get to help you aren’t going to appreciate it

I honestly doubt that the ISU intentionally gave this couple a positive test just to keep them out of the Olympics.

Gris

So... He did test positive for the first time, albeit falsely. Then they asked for a re-test and this time his result was actually negative, but they were told it was positive due to reporting/paperwork errors.

Am I getting this right?

Hindernisse

I feel incredibly sorry for them, but I don't think much can be done at this point except for the official apology if the result of the second test which was negative had been incorrectly communicated. If they still want to give the Olympics a chance, they will have to put this past them and compete at the Nebelhorn. They are devastated right now and it seems hard, but this is the only way.

Kateri

void beast
This is so sad, and it's awful that they were given the wrong result from the second test, but from what she said, the result didn't come until after the free dance was over, so it wouldn't have made a difference, even if they'd had that negative result. If I'm understanding her correctly?

Unfortunately, false positives happen, and the ISU couldn't do anything else except bar them from competing. They seemed sad to me more than accusatory, but I'm not sure what action they want the ISU to take at this point.

Louis

Private citizen
If they were disqualified due to ISU error but would’ve earned a spot to the Olympics otherwise, I’d argue they should be awarded an Olympic spot. These tests are notoriously unreliable and a better protocol should have been in place to confirm positive test results.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So... He did test positive for the first time, albeit falsely. Then they asked for a re-test and this time his result was actually negative, but they were told it was positive due to reporting/paperwork errors.

Am I getting this right?
It seems so. And that's unfortunate, but really, what do they want the ISU to do? Gift them an Olympic spot? It would seem from prior results that it is not guaranteed they would have earned one here anyway. They have an opportunity to go to Nebelhorn, and this video seems an unwise move.

Kateri

void beast
If they were disqualified due to ISU error but would’ve earned a spot to the Olympics otherwise, I’d argue they should be awarded an Olympic spot. These tests are notoriously unreliable and a better protocol should have been in place to confirm positive test results.
It's not an error to bar someone based on a positive result. Everyone knows false positives happen, but it's an unavoidable aspect of the testing system, not an error, per se. The misreporting of the second result was an error, but wouldn't have changed anything really - the competition was over at that point.

Also, their previous results do not imply that they would have won a spot.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The error, which was the reporting of the second test, appears to have happened too late for them to compete anyway. And as noted, their previous results don't indicate they would have qualified.

You're right, the PCR tests can be unreliable and a better protocol should have been in place.

Perhaps something like a proper two week quarantine with proper testing?

Vagabond

It seems so. And that's unfortunate, but really, what do they want the ISU to do? Gift them an Olympic spot? It would seem from prior results that it is not guaranteed they would have earned one here anyway. They have an opportunity to go to Nebelhorn, and this video seems an unwise move.
If they are eligible for the Grand Prix, perhaps the ISU could persuade one of the host federations to give them a spot. Since they are Canadians and live and train in Canada, Skate Canada International would be the obvious choice. Skate America would be a good alternative.

Erin

You're right, the PCR tests can be unreliable and a better protocol should have been in place.

I'm not sure what you would consider "proper testing"? PCR tests are generally considered to be the gold standard for testing. They do occasionally produce false positives (1% of the time) because they are more sensitive than antigen tests, but I would say that's more preferable than the alternative, which would have been to use antigen tests and risk the higher possibility of false negatives.

I think that there were definitely some additional protocols that could have been added to the event - I don't think that a 14 day quarantine was realistic or safe for injury reasons, but I think a slightly longer quarantine on arrival (maybe 3-5 days?) and more frequent testing after arrival would have been a reasonable compromise. However, it does appear that there were not positive cases resulting from the event itself and overall, I would call it a success.

As for Garabedian and Proulx-Sénécal, I feel bad for how the communication around the second test was handled. It sounds like they feel that they had to wait too long for the second test, and I can certainly understand being upset that they were given the wrong result. I agree that they may not have qualified anyway and I think there isn't much to be done - they already have a shot to qualify at Nebelhorn, so I think their efforts would be better focused on training for that, rather than trying some kind of fruitless negotiation with the ISU.

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!
This is what was laid out in the video:
  • Both had multiple negative prior tests.
  • Hours before the RD, Simon's test from the day before came back positive.
  • He asked for an immediate retest and was told they would try to have the results back before they were scheduled to compete.
  • They did not receive the result until the competition was over.
  • They were told Simon's second test was positive and Tina's was negative.
  • However, after the completion of the event, when they received the written report, they learned that his Friday (competition day) test was negative, not positive.
  • They did not withdraw, and there were no medical reasons, despite the ISU announcement.

It is not clear from their statement whether the ISU actually received the results back in time. If they didn't receive the results then they really have no leg to stand on since they obviously wouldn't be allowed to compete with a positive test. If the ISU did have the results and the team was misinformed as to the results or the results were withheld until it was too late, then they do have a right to be upset since they may have been allowed to compete with the negative on the re-test.

Where I can see that they would feel aggrieved is maybe if they had been a bigger name from a bigger country the ISU would have done more to expedite and ensure they received their results back as soon as possible to get a definitive answer either way. It certainly must have been upsetting and shocking to learn the test was negative after all, and you can imagine the drama if this happened to someone like Hanyu. The ISU was lucky that the only skaters implicated with positive tests were very low ranked from obscure federations who probably would have had to qualify through Nebelhorn anyway.

Even if the ISU did handle this improperly, I really don't see what could be done as they are a team on the bubble of qualifying anyway, and they already have an opportunity to get a spot at Nebelhorn. And even if they were generally expected to qualify, by the sporting principle, you can't assume that they would have skated well enough on the day to actually do it.

MsZem

Where I can see that they would feel aggrieved is maybe if they had been a bigger name from a bigger country the ISU would have done more to expedite and ensure they received their results back as soon as possible to get a definitive answer either way.

I agree. But FWIW, the health protocol (p. 12) is very clear when it comes to the implications of a positive test:
If a person has a positive *********-19 test result: the respective person is not allowed to participate at WC2021
That's it. There's nothing about getting a second test and being allowed to skate, and perhaps it would have been best not to get their hopes up.

It certainly must have been upsetting and shocking to learn the test was negative after all, and you can imagine the drama if this happened to someone like Hanyu. The ISU was lucky that the only skaters implicated with positive tests were very low ranked from obscure federations who probably would have had to qualify through Nebelhorn anyway.
Some people may not have survived such a thing, and the conspiracy theories would have been :scream::eek:

Jayar

I don't think it matters if they withdrew. They were withdrawn. While I want to be sympathetic, the ISU did right by withdrawing them. Looking at past results, I don't think it was a forgone conclusion that they would qualify for Beijing in Stockholm. They were going to be close, and they have another shot at Nebelhorn. 🤷🏻‍♂️

MacMadame

Staying at home
I don't think it matters if they withdrew. They were withdrawn. While I want to be sympathetic, the ISU did right by withdrawing them. Looking at past results, I don't think it was a forgone conclusion that they would qualify for Beijing in Stockholm. They were going to be close, and they have another shot at Nebelhorn. 🤷🏻‍♂️
And even if they were 100% guaranteed to qualify (and who would be? I mean even Zhou didn't make the FS and he's a former Worlds medalist) it's still the right thing to do to pull them from the event with a positive test.

Carolla5501

The error, which was the reporting of the second test, appears to have happened too late for them to compete anyway. And as noted, their previous results don't indicate they would have qualified.

Perhaps you should give up. The event was held in spite of your continued campaign against it. And you even watched it.

We all now know the truth, you weren’t really opposed to it you were just stirring up trouble for entertainment. Because if you had been really opposed you would’ve backed it up by not supporting an event you were so vehemently opposed to.

LOL. game over

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information