New events approved for 2022 Winter Olympics (synchro. skating not included)

Sylvia

TBD
IOC press release today: https://www.olympic.org/news/future-games-sports-programmes-full-of-passion-and-excitement
"The programme features the addition of signature new events with monobob and freestyle ski big air, as well as dynamic mixed team formats including short track mixed relay, a ski jumping mixed team event, mixed gender team aerials and a snowboard cross mixed team event."

Direct link to the "full programme of the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022" events: https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/...6.1128596010.1531947675-1748679467.1531947675

Sylvia

TBD
Short Track Speed Skating Mixed Gender Relay event included in the 2022 Olympic Program: https://isu.org/news/145-news/12131...-by-the-ioc-for-beijing-2022?templateParam=15
The ISU's application for inclusion of Synchronized Skating was however not successful and the ISU acknowledges the challenges the application was facing, namely the universality of the discipline, the media and broadcast impact and, last but not least, the addition of a substantial number of athletes. The ISU will nevertheless continue its efforts to further develop Synchronized Skating and increase its popularity in cooperation with the ISU Members.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Why is the IOC so reluctant to include Synchro? Ice skating is already one of the most popular winter sports, while “snow cross mixed team” sounds like a Frankenbaby of an already obscure sport :shuffle:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Why is the IOC so reluctant to include Synchro?

If I had to take a punt, it's probably, I dunno, the 120+ extra athletes that including Synchro would entail. Y'know, more than the whole other four disciplines of skating combined. And that's just the athletes, forgetting their support staff, coaches, oh and the judges and officials and so on...

It's not going to happen. While the IOC doesn't want to expand the size of the Olympics, it will never happen. Which sport are you advocating getting kicked out of the Olympics for Synchro?

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
Which sport are you advocating getting kicked out of the Olympics for Synchro?

Given that there are already so many stupid sports now in the Winter Olympics, where to even start. Ski Cross, Freestyle skiing (who the heck watches that anymore with the more popular snowboarding events), hockey now that the pros are out is a dud that can easily go. Nordic combined which is like an old dinosaur relic of the Games at this point, the equivalent of Pentathalon in the Summer Games.

RoseRed

Given that there are already so many stupid sports now in the Winter Olympics, where to even start. Ski Cross, Freestyle skiing (who the heck watches that anymore with the more popular snowboarding events), hockey now that the pros are out is a dud that can easily go. Nordic combined which is like an old dinosaur relic of the Games at this point, the equivalent of Pentathalon in the Summer Games.
I'm sorry, but taking out all of freestyle skiing for synchro would be ridiculous. You'd be removing ten medal events for one, which just doesn't make sense. And my sense during the Olympics was that freestyle skiing was plenty popular. I'd say it probably has a bigger following than synchro overall (which is definitely nowhere near the popularity of snowboarding, so I don't know why that would be relevant). But honestly, just because you don't like freestyle or ski cross is irrelevant in terms of whether or not they belong at the Olympics. It's just an opinion. Personally, I don't think they're dumb sports, I think they're awesome. And lots of people agree with me.

They won't remove men's hockey - they had it before NHL players were allowed. Also, NHL players are not out permanently. And then there's women's hockey too. And it's still a big draw - much bigger than synchro at this point.

They've talked about removing Nordic Combined, which would be fine with me, though I know it's very popular in some countries, where they certainly don't see it as a 'dinosaur relic'.

FYI: https://www.theactivetimes.com/10-most-popular-winter-olympic-sports

According to a TV viewership report by Nielsen, at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games freestyle skiing was the most-watched event.

This article made their own list in 2014 using TV ratings, internet data, media buzz, etc. They had freestyle skiing as the 3rd most popular Olympic sport.

Now to be clear, I'd be happy to see synchro in the Olympics. But there are legitimate logistical concerns with the idea, and I would not be in favour of cutting a whole discipline to make room.

Willin

Why is the IOC so reluctant to include Synchro? Ice skating is already one of the most popular winter sports, while “snow cross mixed team” sounds like a Frankenbaby of an already obscure sport :shuffle:
If I had to take a punt, it's probably, I dunno, the 120+ extra athletes that including Synchro would entail. Y'know, more than the whole other four disciplines of skating combined. And that's just the athletes, forgetting their support staff, coaches, oh and the judges and officials and so on...

It's not going to happen. While the IOC doesn't want to expand the size of the Olympics, it will never happen. Which sport are you advocating getting kicked out of the Olympics for Synchro?
If anything, I've heard the IOC is trying to shrink the Olympics because no one wants to pay to build housing for all the athletes coming to the Olympics already. Their press release certainly implied that they were happy to have fewer athlete spots for 2022.

Based on the gossip I've heard, the IOC would be happy to include synchro if the numbers were significantly lower. Basically, synchro needs to decide how badly they want inclusion.
Right now they're desperately trying to figure out how to cut down on the athletes numbers, but even if they go down to their intended numbers (10 teams of 12 skaters) it's still 120 people.
As @misskarne pointed out, there's also the coaches (usually 1-3 per Senior Team), support staff (a team leader from the federation), and a judging panel (most international synchro judges are not also certified for international singles/pairs/dance). That's at a minimum 20 staff + 15 judging people, or maximum 40+ staff and judges including alternate judges.
If they're trying to cut down on number adding a minimum of 150 people is doing the exact opposite of that. To make up for that by cutting sports they'd have to cut something like 2-5 sports depending on the number of qualifying athletes in each sport. If they kept Synchro with the 16-20 skaters has now, they'd need 160-200 spots for skaters and 35-55 for officials/coaches.

Now, how willing the synchro community to even go to 12 is debatable. If only 10 teams in the world can go to the Olympics, should the 12 skater rule be only for those 10 teams/Senior level teams or should it extend to all levels of the sport? Would it affect the sport choreographically (ie. formations, rules that benefit teams with 16 skaters)? Would this cut access to synchro so that fewer people would be able to compete? From what I've seen exactly 0 coaches outside of those in small markets struggling to get 16 skaters like the change down to 12.

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
How many people watch Synchro, it's not televised in the US (to my knowledge, maybe others know differently?)? How do we know it would attract audiences, even if that was THE determining factor for IOC?

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
How many people watch Synchro, it's not televised in the US (to my knowledge, maybe others know differently?)? How do we know it would attract audiences, even if that was THE determining factor for IOC?

True, I can’t even recall seeing it on TV. I think it’ll be more difficult post-YKW as we’re trying to keep the numbers down, limit how many people can be on ice, how to house them, etc. They work so hard and it’s a shame it’s unlikely we’ll ever see them in the Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information