Nevada Primary Democratic Debate: What Happens in Vegas Gets Hysterical on Twitter

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This not how I interpreted it. The rules of plurality in the past with Al Gore, Obama and Clinton did not have enough delegates from the primary to win prior to the election. The superdelegates placed them over the 1991 delegates. It puts more power in the hands of the convention committee members and allows the option for manipulation.

Many of the committees chosen are known non Sanders supporters on record and some direct affiliations with other candidates and their campaigns. Which a few weeks ago is a reason I said that Bernie Sanders will not be the nominee. A brokered convention will be the tool that party elites can stop Sanders.

This allegiances or alliances can appear as blatant attempts as sabotaging and appear as elitist.
Its going to be very dangerous for the party. Even if they are technically following the rules, if its clear they blocked Sanders by manipulation it will destroy the party.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
How is Elizabeth Warren not the Democratic nominee already? :confused:
Word in some parts is she likes slam poetry. ;)

Because God loves me.her last name is my ex husband's first name and God just wouldn't make me drive behind cars that's a warren on the back
:rofl: I really did not expect this post to end that way. Can't even argue it. :lol:

Saw a whole lot of "I love Warren, but I'm scared" last night, all over platforms, and it's oddly inspiring. Plus, she's going to make Louis turn purple at this rate, physically, so that's great prognostication.

I also think she's a lot less condescending than most of the men in the race-- and Bernie is one of the worst for it. She has a plan for everything because she doesn't want to leave any American behind, and has a uniting vocabulary and vision that is what the country needs more than Larry David's grumpier and less-compassionate cousin.

I've always loved her, but I'm so thrilled to see the Warren I adore is hitting a lot more proverbial playlists today. She's a woman who cares and wants to do what's best for those around her, and people might finally start to get that.

Louis

We'll see if Warren gets a bump in the polls. I wouldn't count it and am not even close to turning purple. To me, her debate performance just reinforced all the things people don't like about her. I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but the reasons people don't like her have nothing to do with her being a woman, the influence of money in politics, or Bernie Sanders' alleged sexism. The list of excuses Warren's supporters make for her, and the perceived slights they see in everything, are as tiresome as the Bernie Bros. It's time for her and her supporters to own up to her conduct and actions, and to stop blaming others.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think Warren and Sanders won the debate.

Bloomberg and Klobuchar rather clearly lost.

Biden lost because he didn't make enough of an impact.

I think that Buttigieg made the case for himself as the center-left candidate. He was tough, maybe that's less likable, but I think people will want that against Trump. I just think he needs to be more substantive, he still relies too much on general talking points.

Last edited:

FunnyBut

In regards to Buttigieg and Klobuchar: Amy attacked Pete very pointed and effectively two debates ago. He returned the favor yesterday with an even bigger present. All rough but fair play to me, this isn’t an afternoon tea, I could still support either of them. But last night Amy did look like she’d rather be at OfficeMax with and endless supply of binders and staplers to hurl.

BittyBug

Wishing it weren't so
Its not happenstance that what is reflexively considered acceptable for women is also what makes them less visible and keeps them from being seen as strong candidates, even when being strong in a woman puts people off.
Exactly. Women should be seen but not heard, preferably barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen. The patriarchy is alive and well.

Vagabond

If Jane Austen were alive today and a political reporter, she would begin her story of last night's debate with this: "Michael Bloomberg, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly seventy-nine years in the world with very little to distress or vex him."

:COP:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I do not want Sanders to get the nomination, wouldn't want him to be president, think if he does win it will blow up the Democratic Party, he likely would lose to Trump, and win or lose the Dems would lose the House and down ballot races in a flood.

That said, Sanders kicked capitalist ass last night in the most satisfying way. I loved it!!

i.e. one's emotions do not have to rule one's political decisions...

clairecloutier

I think Warren and Sanders won the debate.

Bloomberg and Klobuchar rather clearly lost.

Biden lost because he didn't make enough of an impact.

I think that Buttigieg made the case for himself as the center-left candidate. He was tough, maybe that's less likable, but I think people will want that against Trump. I just think he needs to be more substantive, he still relies too much on general talking points.

This was our take as well after watching the debate. My husband thought Warren and Sanders did the best, with Pete 3rd; I thought Warren was definitely best, with Sanders/Pete tied for second.

I felt like, coming into the debate, Buttigieg had a plan for how he wanted to present and position himself--i.e., as a centrist consensus pick--and he accomplished that. The other thing that I noticed was that Pete seemed very relaxed and comfortable, not nervous at all. He responded to questions easily and without hesitation or struggling. This made him effective IMO. My husband was somewhat put off by Pete's attacks on Amy, but that didn't faze me because I know she's attacked him in the past, so it's just returning the favor.

Overall, watching the debate emphasized more than ever for me that most of the energy of new ideas and new thoughts in this party lies with progressives Warren and Sanders. There is an energy to both of them that the other candidates lack IMHO. Biden's whole message is that he will continue the policies of the Obama administration. Yes I know he has some other points in his actual platform, but for the most part, what he talks about and focuses on is the Obama administration. Amy's whole pitch seems to be that she will get into the White House and make common-sense, reasonable decisions that won't hurt anyone. That really seems to be her whole rationale for her run. For me, it's simply not sufficient, in the sense that I'd like to see some larger inspiration. Pete brings a little more energy and a little bit more of a comprehensive vision. But if you are looking for a true change in this country's direction, then the candidates who offer that are Warren and Sanders.

Last edited:

FunnyBut

I still didn’t see anything last night that didn’t change Sanders keeping his lead, a brokered convention, a dem nominee with very fractured support, and President Trump once again. I hope I’m wrong, I hope Super Tues changes the trajectory of things.

The only thing that changed is that Bloomberg would have a far harder time being the Dem nominee.

mrinalini

So, this was the first debate I missed watching live because I don't think I could take any more heartbreak, but then I come on here and read the PbP, get excited and then watch some highlights on Twitter and...OMG...Senator Warren slayed! She basically eviscerated Bloomberg and ended his campaign (unless money can buy him a way out).

Does anyone still have any doubt that she'd be the best one to face Trump? Picture Sanders and Trump on the debate stage, both red-faced and being gasbags, and then envision Elizabeth just calmly tearing Trump down with such righteousness and moral clarity. As per her campaign strategist, this was a preview of how she'd take on Trump:

I'm just ecstatic that Team Warren had their best fundraising day EVER (nearly 3 million and even outdoing Bernie!); they are now certain to meet their goal of 7 million by Saturday. I still wish they had all gone after Sanders more because he's in danger of running away with this thing - Sanders did NOT look good and should be hammered on not releasing the entirety of his medical records!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I still didn’t see anything last night that didn’t change Sanders keeping his lead, a brokered convention, a dem nominee with very fractured support, and President Trump once again. I hope I’m wrong, I hope Super Tues changes the trajectory of things.

The only thing that changed is that Bloomberg would have a far harder time being the Dem nominee.
^^This.

For me, this far overshadows my pleasure at Warren's performance. There still is no easy path to a nominee who can beat Trump. I'm very concerned.

Zemgirl

Most people aren't looking for substance and detail, so that's perfect! The substance should be in the background, of course, but the key thing is to be able to communicate your ideas in a simple and engaging way.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Most people aren't looking for substance and detail, so that's perfect! The substance should be in the background, of course, but the key thing is to be able to communicate your ideas in a simple and engaging way.
In Buttigieg's case he has to prove he is ready. His thinness on substance doesn't help him with that.

He is too close to seeming packaged and needs to break out of that.

mrinalini

This guy's wife was formerly a supporter of Sanders:

Mirrors my family's reaction to the debate as well! :lol:

jeffisjeff

What conduct and actions do you find so off-putting?
Just guessing here, but:
1. She thinks she is Pocahontas
2. She is authoritarian
3. She doesn't have plans, she has "plans"
4. Her campaign is all about promising "free stuff"

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I know Twitter is trash, and believe me, I recognize it's a form of masochism I'll deal with on a psychotropic retreat or while captioning old Oprah episodes... but per the thread title, a couple doozies from last night that I woke up still laughing at:

(Warning in advance for unexpectedly violent language)

And a verb we need to take up...

In regards to Buttigieg and Klobuchar: Amy attacked Pete very pointed and effectively two debates ago. He returned the favor yesterday with an even bigger present. All rough but fair play to me, this isn’t an afternoon tea, I could still support either of them. But last night Amy did look like she’d rather be at OfficeMax with and endless supply of binders and staplers to hurl.
:lol: Maybe she'll run into Romney in the binder aisle. Bi-partisan steps.

I just... can't really make myself care about Pete or Amy too much-- not that it matters, obviously-- until lately. I think this rivalry of two well-matched but diverse opponents is great-- for their respective brands/campaigns, for voters, for the party, etc. Neither has crossed a line, neither is really ready for the job they're fighting for, and they'll come out of it better for it. Plus it can be entertaining. :shuffle:

If Jane Austen were alive today and a political reporter, she would begin her story of last night's debate with this: "Michael Bloomberg, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly seventy-nine years in the world with very little to distress or vex him."

:COP:
I could hear Jennifer Ehly's voice saying it. ;)

FunnyBut

Zemgirl, I think you have a good point. I made my mom and her friends watch the debate and they said they didn’t like either Biden or Warren because both got them lost in ‘too many details’! They liked Pete because he presented himself well and was likable and eloquent. And he wasn’t too old and senile, they should know because that’s what they are. Winning a nomination is really hard stuff, I can’t imagine how you cobble together so many disparate groups.

Louis

Just guessing here, but:
1. She thinks she is Pocahontas
2. She is authoritarian
3. She doesn't have plans, she has "plans"
4. Her campaign is all about promising "free stuff"
Thanks for saving me the trouble :lol:. :respec:

She no longer thinks she's Pocahontas, but she took decades to apologize, and displayed an enormous error in judgment with her DNA test reveal.

I'd also add a few more: she has deliberately chosen an abrasive, confrontational, bellicose style; is known to grandstand and repeat the same question over and over, with the (perceived) aim of getting herself media coverage v. getting something done; has shown no ability to work across the aisle and barely even beat Scott Brown when she first ran for Senate in ultra-liberal Massachusetts. I also she thinks she projects (negatively) as a (Harvard) academic. There's a faux-anti-elitism wrapped in a lifestyle that is full of elitist choices. And lately she has been hypocritical, criticizing candidates for working for companies that she herself hired....

These are all actions and choices. Stop blaming sexism, the media, and Wall Street.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Substance is not the same thing as details. Pete is not registering above single digits in national polls so clearly what he is doing needs some work.

Also one thing that stood out to me in the debate particularly in contrast to Warren is that Pete who is supposedly trying to fix his limited support from voters of color, did not address anything that might do that.

mrinalini

Catching up on more of the debate...my, Klobuchar came off terribly. She was visibly losing her cool with Pete, and she just looked flustered and fuming - those aren't the qualities people want to see in a female presidential candidate, my dear!

Better chance than Warren at getting the nomination, my foot!

Zemgirl

Substance is not the same thing as details. Pete is not registering above single digits in national polls so clearly what he is doing needs some work.
FiveThirtyEight is showing Buttigieg with a 10.6 nationally and Warren at 12. Of course there may well be some changes post-debate.

mrinalini

Don't mind me, just doing my everyday bit of Elizabeth Warren cheer leading:

I marvel at how she just totally cut loose from her behavior in the previous debates - nearly everyone and everything was incisively targeted. That's the Senator Warren we got to know and love taking down CEOs and righteously standing up for the middle-class, and it'll hopefully translate to a Senator Warren that is on her way to the presidency.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Don't mind me, just doing my everyday bit of Elizabeth Warren cheer leading:

I marvel at how she just totally cut loose from her behavior in the previous debates - nearly everyone and everything was incisively targeted. That's the Senator Warren we got to know and love taking down CEOs and righteously standing up for the middle-class, and it'll hopefully translate to a Senator Warren that is on her way to the presidency.
Its definitely an opportunity for people to ask themselves, Is this the person who can take on Donald Trump?

It seems that she can, but the question for moderates is, are her issue positions too off-putting for you that you'd rather risk a different candidate who might not be as strong against Trump? How much risk are people willing to take one way or the other? Do they really prioritize beating Trump?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information