Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie720

Are the later seasons different from season 1? Just curious.
I think all seasons are similar but you have characters come and go. We were impressed by the production values and the fact that it was filmed all over the world. And we loved some of the actors.

Cachoo said:
I was confused about one aspect of the game: When the contestants choose to come back for game two and beyond do they understand how many will actually win the money?
My initial thought was that they all knew because that's how I saw the game from the start, but I asked hubby about it and he said no, even though the winner was always specified as "winner", not "winners".

Cachoo

I think all seasons are similar but you have characters come and go. We were impressed by the production values and the fact that it was filmed all over the world. And we loved some of the actors.

My initial thought was that they all knew because that's how I saw the game from the start, but I asked hubby about it and he said no, even though the winner was always specified as "winner", not "winners".
I think that is my one sticking point with this story. Clearly some of these folks are desperate but if they knew the true odds would they still return?

Oh yeah---and this teaser: House of the Dragon: https://youtu.be/fNwwt25mheo

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
It's really tragic what happened. There is no doubt that he is just being kept alive but likely brain dead. i would hate that.
Actually, they seemed to make it quite clear that that is not what is going on. He is evidently alive in all senses of the word - but he is not the same.

Cachoo

Actually, they seemed to make it quite clear that that is not what is going on. He is evidently alive in all senses of the word - but he is not the same.
I do see this as a great love story both before and after the accident. There is a difference of motivation from duty and motivation from love. I think the world of his wife.

manhn

Finished Maid. So good! Margaret Qualley was amazing. The cast is uniformly excellent, but particularly snaps to the actress who played Denise. She has such a delightful presence. That ending just made me cry with relief.

Binge watched Squid Game over the weekend and wow. Brutal, but gripping.
Husband and I watched the first two episodes last night. :eek::scream::yikes:

I didn’t want to watch it, I heard it was violent and disturbing and I usually avoid a lot of violence but I’m glad I was talked into it. It is brutal, and I’m assuming it gets more brutal, and incredibly uncomfortable, but wow. It’ll probably take us a couple of weeks to finish it because kids, so I’m trying to avoid spoilers.

Cachoo

I like both Martin Freeman and Imelda Staunton and decided to watch "The Confession" on BritBox. Usually we are told something is based on a true story. This series said it is a true story and based the script on extensive research of actual events. Freeman is a detective assigned to a young woman's murder. The controversy involves a confession and police procedure and suspect rights. It is one of those issues which raises more questions than answers. I'm glad I watched this.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I tried watching Smart on Netflix and couldn’t even make it through the first episode. I’ve watched plenty of bad sitcoms in my day but this was beyond bad lol.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Husband and I watched the first two episodes last night. :eek::scream::yikes:

I didn’t want to watch it, I heard it was violent and disturbing and I usually avoid a lot of violence but I’m glad I was talked into it. It is brutal, and I’m assuming it gets more brutal, and incredibly uncomfortable, but wow. It’ll probably take us a couple of weeks to finish it because kids, so I’m trying to avoid spoilers.
I was expecting it to be worse in terms of violence.

Yeah, there is violence, but it's really not gratuitous, IMO. I couldn't deal with Game of Thrones largely because of the violence, but the violence is an appropriate level for the incredible story so I can deal. We're totally sucked in, so only have two episodes to go. Hopefully my kids cooperate so we can finish tonight. I can't remember the last show we devoured this quickly. I'll clean my house and get caught up on chores later :p

Cachoo

On HBOMAX I watched Halsey's film set to her music "If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power." It kept my attention but I'm not a big Halsey fan and it seemed an excuse to have some interesting costumes. I'd like to know how I would react if I was her age.

LeafOnTheWind

I had Squid Games in my list to watch then everyone started talking about how violent it was so I took it out. I started watching it now based on comments here and honestly thought it was going to be a lot worse than it is. It's not all light and fluffy but it's not any worse than a lot of action movies. They do go in a lot more with the blood spray at times but I don't think it's Tarantino level.

Yehudi

AITA
There’s going to be a head of the class reboot, with Robin Givens’ character Darlene the only one returning so far. The only other ones I can see returning are Alan, since Tony O’Dell also did a Cobra Kai cameo, and maybe Simine and Arvid. Brian Robbins (Eric) heads up Paramount now, so I doubt he’ll guest on a rival network and Dan Schneider (Dennis) is just a big no, and everyone else seems to have left the biz.

annie720

I had Squid Games in my list to watch then everyone started talking about how violent it was so I took it out. I started watching it now based on comments here and honestly thought it was going to be a lot worse than it is. It's not all light and fluffy but it's not any worse than a lot of action movies. They do go in a lot more with the blood spray at times but I don't think it's Tarantino level.
I've watched the whole series and the first episode bothered me the most. Maybe because I wasn't prepared.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think the thing with the Squid Game is that for those who watched it when it first came on Netflix (like me) the violence was more shocking as we went in blind with no expectations or spoilers. Tonight on the news they were talking about how insanely popular it has become and my husband hasn't seen it yet and asked me if it was worth seeing. I said it was but in the segment shown scenes from the first big twist was aired so that element of surprise doesn't exist for him now and he won't experience that initial WTF jolt.

LeafOnTheWind

Squid Game is reminding me of a Japanese series I watched. I think it was live action but it also could have been anime. And I think it was on Crunchyroll. People had to play logic games to survive. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I am trying pull out bits and pieces from memory to figure out what it was.

ETA: Found it! It's called Liar Game. The people playing the game aren't necessarily disadvantaged and it's mostly a battle of wits. Not as deadly as I remembered. There were a lot of con-men/women in it. Still a fun watch if you get a chance.

There is a playlist on Let's Try From Japan! YoutTube channel with all the seasons and the movie. I haven't seen the movie so I'm starting over the series now. :)

I had forgotten how gullible the main female character is.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I was glad it was less. I didn't want a Hostel or Saw experience. It's brutal enough as it is.

I never did watch Castle Rock so decided to treat myself for the Halloween season. I was so impressed with Sissy Spacek and the incredible job the writers did to put us inside of her confused mind. I still have two episodes to go in season one and then I will treat myself to season two.

annie720

Started watching a new K-drama last night, Hometown Cha Cha Cha. It features one of the stars from Start-Up which I loved. :love: After Squid Game it's nice going back to my sweet predictable Korean dramas for a while.

gkelly

Started watching a new K-drama last night, Hometown Cha Cha Cha. It features one of the stars from Start-Up which I loved. :love:

I've enjoyed both of the above as light entertainment. Did not realize it was the same actor.

After Squid Game it's nice going back to my sweet predictable Korean dramas for a while.

Still debating whether I am brave enough to try Squid Game.

Judy

Binge watched MAID. Enjoyed it.

Then I looked to see what was new on Netflix this week and saw Diana, the Musical. And I thought what a strange idea for a musical so I thought well let's check this train wreck out and got through about 10 minutes (during which I debated about 3 times if I should stop). I made it through 10 minutes and I just can't understand who thought this was a good topic for a musical. And apparently this will still be shown on Broadway? And if anyone is considering buying tickets to see this, watch the first 10 minutes on Netflix and save yourself some money.

eta... I also watched "The Guilty". I saw the Danish original "Den Skyldige" a few years ago and thought it was much better. Pretty sure I saw that on Netflix as well so if you can watch that instead.
I really enjoyed Maid too.

I love musicals but I rarely think they go well with watching it on tv vs seeing it live. However, it would not be on my list to see.

J

Jeschke

I enjoyed 'Young Royals'.
Great acting (for the young ages), awesome music selections, feels totally honest.

Final episode music choice is killer 💥

Judy

Finished Maid. So good! Margaret Qualley was amazing. The cast is uniformly excellent, but particularly snaps to the actress who played Denise. She has such a delightful presence. That ending just made me cry with relief.
I loved it too. I wish there was a season 2. At parts her husband was so good .. and then would fall off the wagon.

Now I have to find something at least 1/2 equal to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information