Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I didn't notice their accents at all. So they must have been pretty accurate. :lol:

I still say wooder for water and sometimes tah for to. My neighbors would say things like "I'm gonna tah the store tah buy some wooder" or "I seen it" but if I said anything like that, I'd get corrected immediately. So I mostly don't.

LeafOnTheWind

I completely don't understand the point to the series ending of Lucifer.

His daughter grew up angry because he wasn't there. He could have been there and she never would have grown up angry or needing to be saved in the past. So what was the point of her asking her parents to split up and him not be there rewriting her future? He could have figured out his purpose through Linda which would have closed their story perfectly. Stupid loop ending. Time travel always sucks in series. They just need to stop writing it.

Last edited:

annie720

I didn't notice their accents at all. So they must have been pretty accurate. :lol:

I still say wooder for water and sometimes tah for to. My neighbors would say things like "I'm gonna tah the store tah buy some wooder" or "I seen it" but if I said anything like that, I'd get corrected immediately. So I mostly don't.
Just like the SNL skit !

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Sat down and watched Schumacher tonight. To nobody's surprise, I give it a big tissue box warning.

It's good - it probably could have been twice the length without hurting anything. The main focus was really the years leading up to that first Ferrari title. There's some great early footage, and some outstanding interview footage from just after the death of Senna, and the way Michael talks hurts a lot in hindsight.

But the last 10-15 minutes...

Corinna and Mick do not say Michael's exact condition. Corinna's last words in the film are that "Michael always protected us. Now we are protecting him." But the wording, the way it is described...if you can stay dry-eyed when Mick talks about how he wishes he could talk to his father in the language of motorsport they now share, then you have no heart. There are some small positives: Corinna tells us he still shows her his strength every day, that he likes for the family to continue with their lives, that he is here, but different. Still, it is evident that there will never be a time when we see Michael sitting in the back of Mick's pit, smiling his crooked smile and casting his eye over Mick's setup.

Apparently, however, some publications (Daily Telegraph in the UK being one) are marking the doco down because there are no details. Vultures. :rolleyes:

LeafOnTheWind

For those of you who miss Cha's JUUULIIEEETTT and want to feel it all again, Romeo and Juliet: DiCaprio version is on Amazon Prime.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I’m almost finished Season 1 of Yellowstone, and holy cow Beth Dutton. What a character! I get excited to hear what’s going to come out of her mouth every time she’s on screen.

ilovepaydays

Saved by the Bell is now available on Netflix - the ENTIRE series, specials, & the College Years. 😎 is all I have to say!

LeafOnTheWind

Disney turned Turner & Hooch into a series. You won't see Tom Hanks make an appearance but his character willed Hooch 2.0 to his son in the US Marshalls. It's Disney so kid friendly but also cute if you enjoy watching a massive slobbery dog destroy things and make their anal retentive human miserable.

manhn

Watched Afterlife of the Party, starts out obnoxious, but by the end, I had a lot of affection for the characters.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I had issues with that limited series too, but nothing I can sue for. Good luck to her.
I don't see how she can win on a legal basis. A throwaway line in one episode of a many-episode miniseries that most people don't even remember (the line, not the series) absolutely didn't change her legacy one bit IMO and she's going to have a hard time proving damages.

My interpretation of the scene is that this what the people talking about her thought. And they are allowed to think things that aren't true. :D

mjb52

It's just so weirdly gratuitous because from the article I read, the line in the original book was more accurate and wasn't the same as what was in the show. So they purposefully changed it to something that wasn't true. I can understand why she's angry. If they were going to fictionalize it, why use her real name? If they were going to use her real name, be accurate.

VGThuy

I don't see how she can win on a legal basis. A throwaway line in one episode of a many-episode miniseries that most people don't even remember (the line, not the series) absolutely didn't change her legacy one bit IMO and she's going to have a hard time proving damages.

My interpretation of the scene is that this what the people talking about her thought. And they are allowed to think things that aren't true. :D
Yep, which is why she needs luck, :lol:. Honestly, though, I can see why she's pissed. Maybe her reputation was damaged in some way and has affected her financially that we simply don't know about. I wish I could see the evidence. I bet Netflix will just throw a settlement figure at her and after some negotiation, it'll all just go away. We probably won't hear about this again.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
misskarne said:
Sat down and watched Schumacher tonight. To nobody's surprise, I give it a big tissue box warning.

It's good - it probably could have been twice the length without hurting anything. The main focus was really the years leading up to that first Ferrari title. There's some great early footage, and some outstanding interview footage from just after the death of Senna, and the way Michael talks hurts a lot in hindsight.
Just finished watching it. Great doco, and fantastic work from whoever had the job of finding all the archive footage. Huge respect for Schumacher's wife. What a strong lady.

sk8pics

There was a Star Trek marathon on BBC America a couple weeks ago and I recorded a bunch of things. Last night I watched the reboot Star Trek movie with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto and enjoyed it so much. Fighting and special effects aside, it’s really about extraordinary people who discover they can do extraordinary things together. They’re all on Amazon Prime and I think I’m going to rewatch the others in this series.

clairecloutier

Recently we watched Mindy Kaling's teen rom-com series Never Have I Ever. It's fun, frothy, but also fairly real. The first season was particularly good, I thought; the second season was more uneven, but ended strongly. Good characters and cast IMO.

Now we're watching season 5 of Queen Sugar, which finally came on Hulu. It's interesting because the main focus of the season is how CV19 (and also George Floyd's death) affects all the characters. I haven't seen any other show really address CV19 yet, so it's interesting. We're midway through the season.

Seerek

I’m taking French classes in anticipation of my trip to Montpellier so I’m watching Dix Pour Cent on Netflix (with English subtitles, thankfully) as I’m told it helps to learn a language. I’m only a few episodes in but it’s quite funny.

Call My Agent didn't end the way I liked, but the series overall was so good. And you'll be seeing Camille Cottin more in English series and features upcoming.

Recently we watched Mindy Kaling's teen rom-com series Never Have I Ever. It's fun, frothy, but also fairly real. The first season was particularly good, I thought; the second season was more uneven, but ended strongly. Good characters and cast IMO.

Choosing a newcomer like Maitreyi R. to play Devi really helps. A more seasoned actress might have struggled to pull off that combination of determined yet also naive.

clairecloutier

Choosing a newcomer like Maitreyi R. to play Devi really helps. A more seasoned actress might have struggled to pull off that combination of determined yet also naive.

Yes, she does a great job. I also really like that she is very normal-looking (if you will). I think for a teen show especially, that’s a great thing. Usually the leads in teen shows are so unrealistically glammed up and perfectly groomed/dressed and super skinny.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
There was a Star Trek marathon on BBC America a couple weeks ago and I recorded a bunch of things. Last night I watched the reboot Star Trek movie with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto and enjoyed it so much. Fighting and special effects aside, it’s really about extraordinary people who discover they can do extraordinary things together.
I was flicking channels today and came across Star Trek (original series). I was thrilled right up until the point where I realised the episode showing was 'Spock's Brain', universally acknowledged as the worst Star Trek episode ever (though the Next Gen episode where Beverly gets into a relationship with a ghost while on Scottish Planet gives it a run for its money in my opinion).

sk8pics

@Bunny Hop you are so right about those episodes.

Right now I’m watching Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan. Next I’m going to watch the ST reboot version of that, with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. It will be interesting to watch them back to back, I think. Then I’ll save the rest of the movies I have on my DVR for a rainy day when I don’t have any new series to watch.

VGThuy

The Underground Railroad was shut out at the Emmys. This article speculates as to why:

The losses are frustrating, considering both the quality of what’s being ignored and the Black filmmakers and characters who have yet again been deprived their due respect. But “The Underground Railroad” exists; Jenkins & Co. told their story and told it brilliantly. Those who’ve found it have been vocal in their adoration, and it’s up to all of us to keep this tale alive for years to come.

Speaking of this, I was upset the British anthology series, Small Axe, directed by Steve McQueen, did not receive any nominations whatsoever. I don’t know if it was too British for American audiences (then what is The Crown?) but it was one of the best things I’ve seen. Film critics of all people loved it so much that they put either the whole thing or individual parts on their best films of the year lists for 2020 thinking it “transcended” television (not sure I agree with that because why can’t television be as artful as cinema?). It was probably the most heralded “film” of 2020 behind Nomadland.

skatingguy

decently
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information