Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I was wondering if anyone has watched the Netflix movie "A Week Away." I would love to connect with others who are fans of this film.

Jimena

I don't know if anyone has HBO or HBOMAX but Kate Winslet, this cast (particularly Jean Smart), the unsolved mysteries and the writers are killing it on "Mare of Easttown." I LOVE this series.
When is it done? So that I can binge on it. I seriously dislike having to wait for new episodes. I'm doing the same thing with season 4 of The Handmaid's Tale. I will not watch it until all of it is available.

VGThuy

Just no. The previous version with Theresa Russell was just that good. I also lover in 'Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession'. That film spoke to me on a visceral level when I was a young women - it must have been my yet-unconscious feminist self'. I'm kind of sad, TBH, that I had that reaction.
Like @Yehudi said, it’s a totally different movie and source material. The new Black Widow film is based on the comic book character who has been one of the main characters of the Avengers franchise. But I’m glad you mentioned the Theresa Russell/Debra Winger film. I remember seeing that too and enjoying it.

clairecloutier

When is it done? So that I can binge on it. I seriously dislike having to wait for new episodes. I'm doing the same thing with season 4 of The Handmaid's Tale. I will not watch it until all of it is available.

I do this too. I feel like shows have much more impact when you can watch them all at once. (Although we usually just do one episode a night, or two on weekend nights. Still, it's nice to be able to watch straight through for a week or two.)

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Next Sunday is the finale.

Cachoo

We have two episodes left so the last episode will be released Sunday, May 30.

LeafOnTheWind

I do this too. I feel like shows have much more impact when you can watch them all at once. (Although we usually just do one episode a night, or two on weekend nights. Still, it's nice to be able to watch straight through for a week or two.)
I usually prefer binging too. There are a few shows I feel I would have liked more if I had watched them on a scheduled release instead of being able to view all at once. The Lost in Space release on Netflix was one of those. It was nonstop "DANGER! DANGER!" pacing and I got to a point where it was too much at one time. I started actively cheering for characters to die and decided to stop watching because I didn't care enough about them anymore. I think I would have been less annoyed with more time between episodes.

Cachoo

I will mention that "The Nevers" was entertaining and I believe the season ended last night so that might be a nice binge.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I found on Stan here in Australia a UK show We are Ladyparts. About a Muslim Girl punk band in London. Very enjoyable with great characters.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

We finished watching Trapped last night. I wound up enjoying this series a lot. I am definitely into the whole Nordic Noir genre! The scenery was incredible, the setting in general very interesting, and it was intriguing to get a glimpse into Icelandic society. I felt like Season 1 got off to a bit of a slow start, but picked up pace midway through. It took me a while to warm up to the characters, but I was pulled in by the end. Season 2 I found compulsively interesting from the first episode onward. I enjoyed the political dimensions to the story, and I was thrown for a loop when they combined that with this dark family drama at the end of the season. A review that I read mentioned how aspects of the family drama paid tribute to Icelandic sagas in some ways. Loved most of the actors, particularly the three main cops, Hjortur, Vikingur ( :swoon: ), and Elin. My one qualm that I'm puzzling over is ...
The death of Asgeir in Season 2. I don't know why the producers/writers killed him off. His death didn't feel like an organic or necessary part of the story, but just another killing. Perhaps the actor didn't want to do another series?? In any case, I will miss him, as he was a big part of the show for me. And, I wanted to see him and Gudrun hook up!! LOL

Alli84

I was wondering if anyone has watched the Netflix movie "A Week Away." I would love to connect with others who are fans of this film.
Tumblr is always a good place to check out fan reactions to something: https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/a-week-away?sort=recent

2 caveats:
1) the page I'm linking to is a lot more readable if you're logged in (it only takes a second to create an account, just use a throwaway email)
2) The userbase is mostly young(-ish, many users are in their 20s and 30s nowadays), female and "woke", so the tone will not work for everyone.

Hope you find what you're looking for! :)

starrynight

We finished watching Trapped last night. I wound up enjoying this series a lot. I am definitely into the whole Nordic Noir genre! The scenery was incredible, the setting in general very interesting, and it was intriguing to get a glimpse into Icelandic society. I felt like Season 1 got off to a bit of a slow start, but picked up pace midway through. It took me a while to warm up to the characters, but I was pulled in by the end. Season 2 I found compulsively interesting from the first episode onward. I enjoyed the political dimensions to the story, and I was thrown for a loop when they combined that with this dark family drama at the end of the season. A review that I read mentioned how aspects of the family drama paid tribute to Icelandic sagas in some ways. Loved most of the actors, particularly the three main cops, Hjortur, Vikingur ( :swoon: ), and Elin. My one qualm that I'm puzzling over is ...
The death of Asgeir in Season 2. I don't know why the producers/writers killed him off. His death didn't feel like an organic or necessary part of the story, but just another killing. Perhaps the actor didn't want to do another series?? In any case, I will miss him, as he was a big part of the show for me. And, I wanted to see him and Gudrun hook up!! LOL

Trapped was AWESOME. The idea of an isolated cut off Icelandic town in the depth of winter as the bodies start piling up is a great setting for a murder mystery. I did prefer season 1, but I certainly wasn't complaining that I had a second season to watch.

The main thing that irked me about season 2 is that they overdid the rebellious teenager thing and had his daughter be too silly and wilfully ignorant (like not realising using that mobile phone would be dangerous etc etc) I think it would have been more effective to frame her as a well meaning but naive/foolish wannabe detective or something

If you like Icelandic things... watch the comedy special (in English) on Netflix called 'Pardon my Icelandic'. There's a couple of very funny jokes about Trapped in it.

starrynight

@starrynight Yes, I agree that the characterization of Andri's daughter was a bit extreme. As I watched her, I kept asking myself, Is this realistic, or just a plot point?

Yeah I know. At first I was just thinking, wow Andri you didn't spend enough time with your daughter if she's this clueless about the dangers of criminals, big bags of cash belonging murdered people etc... But then when he does show a bit of concern (when Andri realises she's sleeping with an older boy) the other cop rolls her eyes at him and chastises him for being uptight). lol Poor Andri can't win.

But I did learn a lot about Iceland. One thing being that are one of the biggest coffee drinkers in the world - and we can see in Trapped that people are drinking coffee any time of the day or night.

clairecloutier

But I did learn a lot about Iceland. One thing being that are one of the biggest coffee drinkers in the world - and we can see in Trapped that people are drinking coffee any time of the day or night.

I noticed that too! LOL. It was like the first line in every scene: "Would you like coffee?" :D I don't know how they do it!

starrynight

I noticed that too! LOL. It was like the first line in every scene: "Would you like coffee?" :D I don't know how they do it!

Apparently the amount of coffee is attributable to it being dark half the year and then also import taxes being so high on alcohol that people will socially have coffee (no matter what time of night it is) instead of offering a wine or a beer like they might in other countries. From personal experience, I think you can actually drink so much coffee that you build a resistance and it dulls the effect of it.

Cachoo

Trapped was AWESOME. The idea of an isolated cut off Icelandic town in the depth of winter as the bodies start piling up is a great setting for a murder mystery. I did prefer season 1, but I certainly wasn't complaining that I had a second season to watch.

The main thing that irked me about season 2 is that they overdid the rebellious teenager thing and had his daughter be too silly and wilfully ignorant (like not realising using that mobile phone would be dangerous etc etc) I think it would have been more effective to frame her as a well meaning but naive/foolish wannabe detective or something

If you like Icelandic things... watch the comedy special (in English) on Netflix called 'Pardon my Icelandic'. There's a couple of very funny jokes about Trapped in it.
ITA about the second season. But it was going to be hard to top that fantastic first season. I watched it in the sweltering heat of summer. There is something very satisfying about watching mysteries in frigid weather in the blazing heat of summer. And I like Olaf!

Just wanted to add we are down to the last episode of "Mare of Easttown" next week and at another site we are all debating "whodunit" and how this will end. I can't recommend this series enough for those waiting to binge.

DFJ

Watching Halston on Netflix and on the second episode. Interesting so far....

Finished it yet? I really liked it. Sucker for the angsty artist but I also found it rather sad. He could have been so much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information