Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

annie720

Just finished Start-Up and would definitely recommend it for a K-drama fan. We absolutely loved it! Also decided to try Bordertown again. When we watched the first episode we were watching other shows with subtitles and decided it was too much at the time. It's a bit too dark to binge on but I think we'll be able to watch a couple of episodes a week.

Judy

I have started watching Superstore thanks to Netflix and loving it! Too bad it took me so long to check this show out! I’ve also watched Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel! :wideeyes:
You are braver then me lol re the Cecil Hotel. 😱

Judy

I just finished the first two seasons of Marcella on Netflix. So good. I think this is my favorite of the Nordic noirs series I've seen. Anna Friel is amazing.

On to season 3!
Ok I will try it. I finished Call my Agent! that was a good one.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I have just watched The Newsroom again. One of the best-written shows ever.
And if you watch from Amazon Prime, at the end of each episode is a short interview with Sorkin in which he talks about the process of developing each episode, how it relates to the whole, and what was important in each episode.

Jimena

Tried to watch Behind Her Eyes on Netflix. Couldn't get through it. It's bad. Baaaaaaaaaaad.

The one plus is that I discovered Tom Bateman. I'd seen him in other things apparently, but he'd never registered. He's a Roger Federer/Colin Firth look alike. So, so, so handsome. Next up: Beecham House just because Tom Bateman's in it. :D

Stefanie

I have been watching Firefly Lane on Netflix. Currently on the fourth episode. I have really enjoyed it thus far!

LeafOnTheWind

Arsenic and Old Lace is on Amazon Prime. It's not the Carey Grant movie. It's the 1962 Hallmark made for tv version. I have always loved the Carey Grant one so it's time to give this one a viewing. On another note I didn't realize Hallmark movies went this far back.

Alli84

Tried to watch Behind Her Eyes on Netflix. Couldn't get through it. It's bad. Baaaaaaaaaaad.

The one plus is that I discovered Tom Bateman. I'd seen him in other things apparently, but he'd never registered. He's a Roger Federer/Colin Firth look alike. So, so, so handsome. Next up: Beecham House just because Tom Bateman's in it. :D
Ooof, I don't know about Behind Her Eyes, but I can tell you that Beecham House is terrible!
Well, good luck :D

I have been watching Firefly Lane on Netflix. Currently on the fourth episode. I have really enjoyed it thus far!
Me too! It’s super cheesy and they really hit you over the head with references to make sure you know what decade they’re in but it’s enjoyable. I’ve been a fan of Sarah Chalke since her Nothing Too Good for a Cowboy days so that makes it easier to overlook a lot :lol:

Jimena

Ooof, I don't know about Behind Her Eyes, but I can tell you that Beecham House is terrible!
Well, good luck :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, it is. I stopped. It is quite unwatchable! I think I've had good luck with my picks in the past. This is the first time EVER I've watched truly terrible British shows. My goodness.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Me too! It’s super cheesy and they really hit you over the head with references to make sure you know what decade they’re in but it’s enjoyable. I’ve been a fan of Sarah Chalke since her Nothing Too Good for a Cowboy days so that makes it easier to overlook a lot :lol:
Ooof, I find this show too bad to even be fun cheese - and one of the things that makes it so is how wrong their OTT decade signaling is! Exhibit A: the main male love interesting in allegedly 1982 sporting some VERY 1994 hair.

clairecloutier

I have to go back to Better Things for a minute. We finished watching season 4 last night, and I've loved all the seasons, but season 4 was extra-good. For people who haven't seen it, the finale of season 4 starts off with comments from random women about menopause (it's part of a pseudo-documentary within the plot). And then Pamela Adlon, as Sam, has this great monologue about menopause and being a woman generally. The emotional realness of this show is great, I love it. Highly recommend for those who haven't watched already. It's also fascinating from a parenting angle (Sam's daughters terrify me).

I came across this interview with Pamela Adlon, the creator and star of the show. If you're into the show, there's a lot of good details and background here.

There's another level to this interview. Adlon initially started Better Things with comedian Louis C.K., who was then involved in a sex scandal. Adlon cut ties with C.K. and took over the show herself. Her comments about C.K. in the interview are interesting, as they kind of address: What is the reality for friends/relatives/allies when someone they know is accused of stuff like this? As a skating fan, it's an interesting question because many skaters/fans/associates/etc. have gotten put into this situation the last few years.

Last edited:

manhn

I watched Then Came You with Kathie Lee Gifford and Craig Furgeson. I thought it’d be an inoffensive middle aged romance but I was so upset by the end. Ugh.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I'm disappointed the Carol Burnett shows got shortened, a lot of skits were removed as the seasons progressed. Amazon Prime sucks

sk9tingfan

Plowing through about 80 episodes of Escape to the Chateau DIY on Peacock. This series goes beyond the originators of the series involving a myriad of British Chateau owners in France. I intermittently think these people are crazy, then brilliant, then insanely brave to take on these ventures. For those of you who like DYI shows, take a gander.

BTW, this series is currently on season 6 in Great Britain.

mackiecat

I just finished the first two episodes of It‘s a Sin. What a great show. It really brings into perspective how far we as a society has come. It is horrifyingly how some of the AIDS victims were treated in the hospital

Cachoo

My supervisor and I were talking about how much we enjoyed, and how much the teenagers in our lives enjoyed, "The Map of Tiny, Perfect Things" on Amazon. It is nice when we can all agree on a show.

Stefanie

Ooof, I find this show too bad to even be fun cheese - and one of the things that makes it so is how wrong their OTT decade signaling is! Exhibit A: the main male love interesting in allegedly 1982 sporting some VERY 1994 hair.
I am glad it wasn't just me who noticed that in addition to some of the outfits (and makeup) seemed to be more late 80s than 1984...

They really need a second season because I didn't like how it ended...

Cachoo

Also watched CB Strike on HBO? though I think it is streaming on HULU. Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger have chemistry and I enjoy the mysteries. I hope they keep filming them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information