Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

I finally got all the way through Damages last week after watching the first two seasons probably 5 times each, kinda stumbling through the third season twice, and then switching over to something else rather than watching seasons 4 and 5. Happy I did. Fantastic ending. And the first season really is one of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen.
Absolutely agree with you. Although I blame it for solidifying my decision to pursue the law, so I should HATE this show. :p

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I got the Peacock 7-day trial for US Nats and discovered a bunch of other stuff. Battlestar Galactica! :love: I've already seen the whole series but would gladly dive in again. Also - the Saved By the Bell reboot, which is getting great reviews. I never watched the original, but this version takes the dumb premise of the first series and upends it a bit to make a smarter, better show for today (think One Day at a Time crossed with Cobra Kai lol). I've only seen the pilot so far but may keep watching.

clairecloutier

Has anyone else seen the Saved by the Bell reboot? Wondering if it's something my 11.5-year-olds might enjoy.

I got them started watching The Babysitters' Club reboot and I assumed they would love it, but it didn't seem to catch their interest at all, surprisingly.

manhn

I have watched and enjoyed both. Saved By the Bell, however, I kinda loved it. It is a more progressive take on the original. It’s not adult in terms of contents but it is more politically aware.

mjb52

I love Call My Agent! I did struggle with a storyline I will not name from the third season (I think it was the third season anyway).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I know this isn't from a streaming service but did anyone watch Nickelodeon's "The Astronauts"? The first season just wrapped up Friday night and, I have to say, it's completely unlike most Nickelodeon fare and really remarkable. Jonathan Frakes has directed at least a few episodes and done a couple guest spots on it as well. I am hoping for a second season because I thoroughly enjoyed the first.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I watched Saved by the Bell as soon as it came out. I thought the first episode was alright, but it gets pretty good. They tackle just about every current social issue (one of which is just barely mentioned in an early episode and then gets a bit more time later), but it's a great mix of nostalgia and something new enough to get a big, new generation fan base.

11 year olds? Maybe just slightly too young to enjoy or understand the storylines, but then again I was watching Melrose Place when I was 6, so... :lol: There is quite a bit of young adult humor and swearing, if that makes any difference.

manhn

I will say this about Saved By the Bell. They may have my favourite football team in tv history.

clairecloutier

11 year olds? Maybe just slightly too young to enjoy or understand the storylines, but then again I was watching Melrose Place when I was 6, so... :lol: There is quite a bit of young adult humor and swearing, if that makes any difference.

It does 😁 ... thanks for the review!

genevieve

Staff member
11 year olds? Maybe just slightly too young to enjoy or understand the storylines, but then again I was watching Melrose Place when I was 6, so... :lol:
I was 22 when Melrose Place came out. :slinkaway

quartz

scratching at the light
I’ve never watched Saved by the Bell, or Melrose Place. The nineties were my baby/child-raising years and I really didn’t watch much besides kids stuff. Big Comfy Couch, Pingu, and Art Attack were my favourites.
But I am currently in the middle of watching Schitt’s Creek - love David and Stevie. Would kill for Moira’s wardrobe.
We also watched Chernobyl and The Queen’s Gambit. Every few months we get the Hollywood Suite decades movie channels for free and I record some movies for later, and so the PVR has some good old stuff in reserve.

J

Jeschke

I finally got all the way through Damages last week after watching the first two seasons probably 5 times each, kinda stumbling through the third season twice, and then switching over to something else rather than watching seasons 4 and 5. Happy I did. Fantastic ending. And the first season really is one of the best seasons of any show I've ever seen.
This 100%!

dinakt

I haven’t seen the Hulu show Harlots since a major event happened in the plot. I kind of want to restart it but Liv Tyler truly is the worst actress in television today and I’m counting all the networks and streaming channels.
I watched all three seasons of "Harlots" over the winter holidays. I really liked it, very much. The series I see myself rewatching.

genevieve

Staff member
Watching Lupin on Netflix. It’s not an adaptation of the anime or the books, although the books play a major role. It’s a typical big heist story, but instead of relying just his good looks, intelligence, and charm, the character uses people’s racism and general indifference to the lower classes to his advantage.
I just started watching this and am really loving it (despite the OTT-ness of the technically-possible-but-extraordinarily-unlikely scenarios :lol: ). There's a lot to dig into beyond the surface plot. Even the central premise, set forth in ep 1, where the main character says people see him but don't really look at him, is a challenge to the audience because of the casting. It's really engaging.

Jimena

I'm watching season 2 of Trapped. Loving Andri. I'll then watch Lupin.

Has anyone watched season 2 of A Discovery of Witches? I watched season 1 when it came out and was rather underwhelmed. But I do love Matthew Goode.

Happy about Bridgerton season 2. :) I was meh about it at first but then it grew on me.

Netflix just announced Season 2 of Blowout, the glass blowing contest. I was wondering if this would get renewed and it did. If any of you have watched glass blowing live, it's fascinating.
I really enjoyed that show! Also happy about Bridgerton. It’s not the kind of show I’d typically seek out but I ended up really enjoying the escapism and lushness of the whole thing.

annie720

Just finished Schitt's Creek. Thanks to whoever it was here who encouraged me to stick with it even though I was turned off initially. I loved it and spent most of the final few episodes with tears in my eyes. My husband wouldn't be in the same room with it but that's his loss. Loved it! ❤️

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I really enjoyed that show! Also happy about Bridgerton. It’s not the kind of show I’d typically seek out but I ended up really enjoying the escapism and lushness of the whole thing.
There was a time in my life when I devoured Regency Romances. I could read one in a sitting most of the time and I'd read 2 or 3 every weekend and another 1 or 2 during the week. They are fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information