Netflix/Prime/Hulu/BritBox Binge Watching: Coronavirus Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

Two episodes into season 4 of The Crown and it's so much better than season 3 (where the highlights were Josh O'Connor as Prince Charles and The Queen's relationship with Harold Wilson). I prefer it over season 2 where I thought sort of meandered as well. It might even be better than season 1 because season 4 doesn't have the novelty factor season 1 had but I'm finding myself enjoying it so much. I think there seems to be a point and direction this season, while giving space for characterization that the show is known for.

I'm loving Gillian Anderson as Margaret Thatcher. I truly enjoyed the scene between Helena Bonham Carter's Princess Margaret and her and I'm usually ho-hum about HBC. I really do much prefer Tobias Menzies as Prince Phillip over Doctor Who. Josh O'Connor is excellent still and I loved Emerald Fennell's telephone scene with him during the second episode, she played it so well. Emma Corrin is such the right choice for Diana. She comes in with such a look and breath of fresh air that you see the star power inside of her ready to burst out. I'm surprised she's being replaced for series 5 and 6 by an actress only 6 years older than her. I guess she reads much younger. Still unsure about Olivia Colman as The Queen as I'm still not sure if she's the right fit.

clairecloutier

Okay, so I haven't watched season 4 of The Crown yet. (I will soon!)

But I just have to jump in with a lonely defense of season 3. (Which it seems like I'm the only one who enjoyed. :) :saint: )

I felt like season 3 was really about Elizabeth's and Philip's maturing as people and coming to terms with the fact that they're not always right and that life doesn't always turn out how you think it's going to and how you get to middle age and really see all your flaws and imperfections and realize you haven't been able to "fix" or overcome them in the way that you egotistically thought you were going to when you were younger. And the same thing applied to Margaret as well, as she realized she wasn't going to be able to somehow force her marriage to work any more when it totally wasn't.

I guess it was a bit of a downer season, in that you saw their disappointments in mid-life. And it was kind of a "quieter" season because it wasn't as much about big events like weddings and births and coronations, and more about just their lives day to day. But I find that is what life is like in middle years. You don't have as many of these big "newsy" events going on, but your life is no less interesting to you for it. I guess I felt like it was very realistic, and I liked the somewhat chastened versions of the main characters better than their oft-too-headstrong younger selves.

Anyhow. I'm looking forward to season 4, esp. since it seems to be getting such good reviews.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m also loving Season 4 of The Crown.

Only one more episode to go.

This season and the first season are for sure my favorites but I’ve enjoyed all the seasons.

LeafOnTheWind

Unbelievably, Stranger Season 2 is just as good if not better. Incredibly show, incredible acting, incredible consistency in quality.
It's been so long since I watched season 1 that I planned on rewatching it before season 2. Is this something that can stand alone and I can go straight to season 2 or should go with the original plan?

skatingguy

decently
It's been so long since I watched season 1 that I planned on rewatching it before season 2. Is this something that can stand alone and I can go straight to season 2 or should go with the original plan?
You don't need to re-watch season 1 to understand what is going on with season 2 - there are enough flashbacks to remind you of the important details - but with tv shows with seasons that are so short it is nice to get into the mood of the series by watching from the beginning again before seeing new episodes.

mjb52

I think it's better to re-watch Season 1, I didn't and I ended up really wishing I had.

annie720

Unbelievably, Stranger Season 2 is just as good if not better. Incredibly show, incredible acting, incredible consistency in quality.
Thanks, that's good to hear! We had to go out of town for a month after watching only a few episodes of Season 1. When we got back, we were tempted not to continue because we found it confusing and thought we would be lost trying to get back into it. I'm so glad we did! It does take some concentration. The subtitles go by quickly and you have to pay attention to what they say. It's not a show for multitasking. Now I have to decide whether to start the second season right away or take a break.

Judy

I watched Hello my name is Doris last night (still have a bit left to watch). What a gem! I know my Canadian Netflix can be different from U.S.) but if it’s available watch it. Very well done 😂.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Am working my way through the Real Housewives franchises. Done with Beverly Hills and now on Season 4 of Atlanta.

mjb52

Thanks, that's good to hear! We had to go out of town for a month after watching only a few episodes of Season 1. When we got back, we were tempted not to continue because we found it confusing and thought we would be lost trying to get back into it. I'm so glad we did! It does take some concentration. The subtitles go by quickly and you have to pay attention to what they say. It's not a show for multitasking. Now I have to decide whether to start the second season right away or take a break.

Watch it right away! It's exceptional. I think it might be even better than Season 1. There is a bit of a time jump and it's fascinating to see how the characters evolve. Also some really exceptional new actors in this season. You do have to pay attention for sure, that's why I regretted not re-watching Season 1, b/c they continue to a minor extent one of the storylines, and I felt like I really missed out because I didn't remember it that well.

Jenny

From the Bloc
Am working my way through the Real Housewives franchises. Done with Beverly Hills and now on Season 4 of Atlanta.
We usually watch Beverly Hills, but recently got into Cheshire - it's a riot! It's got the same sort of formula as the American ones, but it comes off different, particularly in the confessionals, which seem much more scripted.

sk9tingfan

Peaches LaTour

We don't have Netflex, Hulu or any of that but we do have Acorn & we have been binging on Midsomer Murders. All 21 seasons. 😁

We also have a great, local library & we are borrowing all kinds of DVD's from them.

When I see a movie on cable that might be interesting, I record it for future viewing.

Thank goodness for t.v.!

Jenny

From the Bloc
I absolutely have a taste for escaping into lives nothing like my own, and the Real Housewives of Cheshire is just the ticket. These women are outrageous, and that entertains me. Plus with apologies butnotreally to people who don't find them that unusual, their accents are hilarious. My husband and I often quote them with sad attempts at the accents and it makes us laugh every time :)

In our house, Below Deck is also must-view - any version, any season. We discovered the series perhaps 18 months ago and since then our local station has been airing one season after another without a break. The mere thought that after the current one they have not been filming makes me sad.

Beyond that, I'm liking short, well written series such as I Love Dick. It was very well done across the board - writing, characters, acting, setting, pace, all of it, but mercifully short as it was also rather intense. But an excellent distraction for a couple of nights from all the reality I have to deal with during the day.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I have been watching “Emily in Paris” today and I can’t believe this has been commissioned for a second season especially the way they had someone who is supposed to be European pronounce Van Gogh as “Van Go”..... :scream:

annie720

We don't have Netflex, Hulu or any of that but we do have Acorn & we have been binging on Midsomer Murders. All 21 seasons. 😁
Hubby has been watching Midsomer on PBS sporadically for years. We recently got Brit Box in order to watch Sherlock and are now watching Detective Barnaby from the very beginning. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information