Neko Atsume kitty collector -- any other addicts?

Artemis@BC

Has anyone else ever seen this? A friend I was visiting last week got me hooked on it, and I don't know whether to curse her or thank her.

The premise is simple: you set out food and toys in your "yard," then wait for the kitties to come. But there's a hitch: they don't actually come and go while you're watching, you have to let the program run in background, then go back and check later. When the cats leave, they give you "gifts" of fish that you can use to buy more food and toys for them. It's ridiculous, and I have no idea why it's so addictive, but it is!

It's free, though as with many apps there are in-app purchases you can make if you're not patient enough to wait for enough fish. I will confess to spending a whopping $4 so I could upgrade my yard faster. :shuffle:

Here's a more thorough description of how it works:

(Don't be put off by the screen-shots in Japanese -- you can change the settings to English.)

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I have to try this and tell my mom! She loves cats and these types of games :)

this looks super cute!

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I love this game so much. It's super easy to earn gold too so you don't have to spend a ton of money to buy more. I did spend the money to get the yard expansion faster as well. I apparently lacked the patience to wait for it. I've got all the regular kitties and their mementos so I'm working on the specials kitties now.

Artemis@BC

I only have about half the mementos, but I've only been playing for 10 days or so, so I can be patient.

I did some googling and found a "cheat sheet" for attracting the special kitties. Problem is, most of them require very specific purchases. I have had a few of them though, including Joe DiMeowgio, Saint Purrtrick, and Xerses IX. Oh, and Tubbs -- though I wish I could keep him away, he keeps eating all my food!

Kultakissu

We've been playing this for 3 weeks now with my husband, we're totally hooked :D
We got the yard expansion just today!

rjblue

Having a great day!
How do l add the cats to my Catbook.

I've been in the Internet since the days when most people used Netscape and I've never played a sims type game.

Nevermind. I see that it is like a sticker book.

Last edited:

Jay42

I only have about half the mementos, but I've only been playing for 10 days or so, so I can be patient.

I did some googling and found a "cheat sheet" for attracting the special kitties. Problem is, most of them require very specific purchases. I have had a few of them though, including Joe DiMeowgio, Saint Purrtrick, and Xerses IX. Oh, and Tubbs -- though I wish I could keep him away, he keeps eating all my food!
Tubbs is so annoying. The mementos definitely take time. I got Tubbs memento after like 2 visits but it's taken around 10-50 visits for most of the other mementos. Here's a link for a cheat sheet on the best stuff to buy to earn the maximum amount of both gold and silver fish. It worked really well for me.

Artemis@BC

Here's a link for a cheat sheet on the best stuff to buy to earn the maximum amount of both gold and silver fish. It worked really well for me.

Ok, I don't feel so geeky for keeping a record of which toy brings which cats & the most fish, I'm obviously not the only one.

I'm torn, though, between buying the particular toys that will attract the rare cats, and the aesthetic of my yard. I mean, I really want to see Billy the Kitty ... but the cowboy hat doesn't really fit my remodelled Zen décor.

(I did mention I was addicted, right?)

Jay42

Ok, I don't feel so geeky for keeping a record of which toy brings which cats & the most fish, I'm obviously not the only one.

I'm torn, though, between buying the particular toys that will attract the rare cats, and the aesthetic of my yard. I mean, I really want to see Billy the Kitty ... but the cowboy hat doesn't really fit my remodelled Zen décor.

(I did mention I was addicted, right?)
I lack patience but I also lack money so I did the digging because I knew I wouldn't be able to get any of the stuff otherwise.

Does Billy the Kitty have anything else that might attract him? I haven't gotten to him yet. I've been working through the Rare list in chunks. I need to find a way to get Peaches back. I haven't had him in ages and I still need his memento.

TygerLily

I need to find a way to get Peaches back. I haven't had him in ages and I still need his memento.
Peaches is the worst! Or should I say the best? I finally got him with the baseball, but I've seen screen caps of him playing with so many other things. For the longest time I didn't realize that Saint Purrtrick was a rare and Peaches wasn't!

The cowboy hat isn't zen, but it's one of the more adorable toys so far.

Artemis@BC

I've only had 1 rare cat memento, the "pretty stones" from Xerxes. Tubbs has been often enough, I'm surprised I haven't had a memento from him yet. Though I shudder to think what it might be -- a hairball perhaps?

Jay42

Peaches is the worst! Or should I say the best? I finally got him with the baseball, but I've seen screen caps of him playing with so many other things. For the longest time I didn't realize that Saint Purrtrick was a rare and Peaches wasn't!

The cowboy hat isn't zen, but it's one of the more adorable toys so far.
Apparently I actually had Peaches on February 27th. But he's only visited me 8 times and I still don't have his memento.
I've only had 1 rare cat memento, the "pretty stones" from Xerxes. Tubbs has been often enough, I'm surprised I haven't had a memento from him yet. Though I shudder to think what it might be -- a hairball perhaps?
It's not a hairball, it's fish jerky.

I need to get Kathmandu back too but my understanding is he only comes for the fancier food so I'm probably going to buy a bunch of sashimi and hope for the best.

Artemis@BC

I need to get Kathmandu back too but my understanding is he only comes for the fancier food so I'm probably going to buy a bunch of sashimi and hope for the best.

According to the gameskinny online guide, he likes the Temari ball, and won't eat Frisky bits if the lacquered bowl is out.

Artemis@BC

Has anyone else renamed any of the cats? When I saw that "Princess" was a torbie, I renamed her to "Sasha," which was the name of my beloved torbie who left this earth 5 years ago.

Jay42

I've had the Temari ball out for ages but I haven't seen him since mid-February. That was the last time I had the expensive food out though so I'm going to try the expensive stuff again and see what happens. I have just over 300 gold fish right now so I'm not worried about paying for it. The Temari ball has been great for me to get loads of both kinds of fish so I'm good with it staying regardless of what happens.

I've never tried renaming any of the cats. I suck at naming things. I've been playing Alpaca World as well and I think I've used all my naming capabilities on that.

Artemis@BC

Hmm, I haven't tried the Temari ball yet, all my recent purchases have been silver fish ones since I have over 2000 of those. But if it gives good returns I'll give it a try. Maybe after the pingpong ball has been abandoned since I don't like to replace toys while the kitties are playing with them. (And yes, I'm fully aware of how crazy that sounds.)

I wish there was a way to "return" purchases. I bought cheap goodies at the beginning, like the paper bag and small box, that I've hardly ever used since I've "levelled up."

Jay42

Hmm, I haven't tried the Temari ball yet, all my recent purchases have been silver fish ones since I have over 2000 of those. But if it gives good returns I'll give it a try. Maybe after the pingpong ball has been abandoned since I don't like to replace toys while the kitties are playing with them. (And yes, I'm fully aware of how crazy that sounds.)

I wish there was a way to "return" purchases. I bought cheap goodies at the beginning, like the paper bag and small box, that I've hardly ever used since I've "levelled up."
I don't replace toys while they're being used either. You can really short yourself on fish that way and I always feel kind of bad. I have replaced food while Tubbs is there though. It's the fastest way to get rid of him.

tamms

There's a puppy version of this game but in Japanese. It's called boku to wanko for anyone who might be interested. Not that we need another addiction... ;)

Artemis@BC

I looked at Boku to Wanko -- and there is an English language version of it now available too. But aside from the fact that it's a complete ripoff of Neko Atsume and I don't want to reward them for that kind of plagiarism (the maker of Neko should sue), I don't find the animated dogs nearly as cute as the animated kitties. Just an aesthetic thing. (*shrug*)

tamms

I looked at Boku to Wanko -- and there is an English language version of it now available too. But aside from the fact that it's a complete ripoff of Neko Atsume and I don't want to reward them for that kind of plagiarism (the maker of Neko should sue), I don't find the animated dogs nearly as cute as the animated kitties. Just an aesthetic thing. (*shrug*)

This is good to know. I always thought it was from the same company tbh as I never paid attention to the maker.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I love the train, when you've got kitties popping out the top smokestack,a face stuck through the front of the train, etc. The cafe can bring up to 4 kitties at once, the train about 6.

Artemis@BC

I love the train, when you've got kitties popping out the top smokestack,a face stuck through the front of the train, etc. The cafe can bring up to 4 kitties at once, the train about 6.

The "bureau with pots" is my favourite multi-cat furniture. It can hold up to 6, either in the cubbies, on top, or in the pots. The cats aren't super generous when they use it but it's always, always occupied by someone.

I haven't tried the train yet, though. Another one to put on my shopping list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information