Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the U.S. Men's thread:
Nathan commented on anti-Asian hate crimes in the U.S., in response to a question from Hiro Yoshida-Gillis of Europe on Ice:
Hiro included a Zoom screencap of Nathan in his tweet :): https://twitter.com/patinaggio/status/1375865602024345600

ETA:

ISU Skating's video (he shows his gold medal in the box at the end) - Winner of the Day | Nathan Chen (USA): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwemWlIwmpY

Olympics' fun video with Nick McCarvel - "Is there anything Nathan Chen can't do?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW875oubtLA

Last edited:

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
I loved this program when I first heard and saw it - the music builds up and it's got a classical, yet modern feel to it and isn't an old warhorse like Carmen.

His FS has just got this epic quality that I can just see bringing down the house at the Olympics. I secretly wish he would have saved it for next year - I'd be happy if he kept it for another year, but I'm not sure if that would affect the judging and PCS.

sk9tingfan

olympic

I enjoyed the Spanish, German and Russian broadcasts. Needless to say, very complimentary of Nathan's abilities!

Cachoo

I enjoyed the Spanish, German and Russian broadcasts. Needless to say, very complimentary of Nathan's abilities!
It kills me that I am rejected for Eurosport. I like
I hate being rejected by Eurosport. Thank heaven for YouTube. I will look for this.

olympic

So angry disappointed with Johnny and his propensity to recognize Nathan's skating solely from the perspective of technical brilliance. He refuses to give Nathan any recognition/kudos for his artistic brilliance.
JW is mild compared to others (BTW, if anyone noticed, he and Tara got :cat:about Nathan v. Yuzu / GOE and artistry during the broadcast). I think Tara is more pro-Nathan than JW.

I personally think that Yuzu's presence and theatricality gives him an edge on PCS and he does get into his knees more, but I also believe that that is not Nathan's bag and he is to be admired for not trying / being completely opposite with choreo. I see moments where an arm or leg could be held with more tension, and he could 'act' or emote more, but it's nothing to diss. I say this as a fan.

But have you ever listened to Dave and Jonathan on TSL? Nathan is Dave's 'least favorite' to watch out of Yuzu, Shoma, Misha and Nathan. I have begun to find them annoying not just because of remarks like that. Meagan Duhamel kind of agreed w/ their POV in their Worlds preview. She said Nathan sets up his jumps the same way all the time, but it was inferred that wasn't something admirable. Bleh.

Xela M

Anyone who can possibly find any flaw in Nathan's performance in the FS needs to be sectioned into a secure mental facility. :cold:

It was a performance from another planet. Has anyone ever in the history of skating jumped quads so fricken effortlessly and with such abandon?

shine

JW is mild compared to others (BTW, if anyone noticed, he and Tara got :cat:about Nathan v. Yuzu / GOE and artistry during the broadcast). I think Tara is more pro-Nathan than JW.

I personally think that Yuzu's presence and theatricality gives him an edge on PCS and he does get into his knees more, but I also believe that that is not Nathan's bag and he is to be admired for not trying / being completely opposite with choreo. I see moments where an arm or leg could be held with more tension, and he could 'act' or emote more, but it's nothing to diss. I say this as a fan.

But have you ever listened to Dave and Jonathan on TSL? Nathan is Dave's 'least favorite' to watch out of Yuzu, Shoma, Misha and Nathan. I have begun to find them annoying not just because of remarks like that. Meagan Duhamel kind of agreed w/ their POV in their Worlds preview. She said Nathan sets up his jumps the same way all the time, but it was inferred that wasn't something admirable. Bleh.
I want to know who doesn't set up their jumps the same way all the time. I mean, does Hanyu always come up with different transitions into his jumps?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I want to know who doesn't set up their jumps the same way all the time. I mean, does Hanyu always come up with different transitions into his jumps?
No, but speaking for myself, I don't ever look at it like a Nathan vs. Yuzuru thing and typically whenever I comment on one or the other, a few people seem to take it as me doing so.

I love both for their own reasons, I personally like Nathan a bit more at this stage as I think Yuzuru is phoning it in a little while he works on that 4A, but as far as Nathan goes- this program was out of this world, absolutely. I'll rewatch it a thousand times I'm sure. The only thing missing for me, and this is for Nathan and Nathan only, is the setting a mood right from the beginning. I get that he's doing 5 quads. I get that it's crazy and difficult. I just wish the program came to life just a littttttle bit during that first segment of jumps. Shae was wonderful in him really setting a captivating mood with the step sequence, and also I think the music and the layout following that really help to build to a great finish. Still, I think he's totally capable of adding a little more variety. And I look to skaters like Kolyada (his LP at least) and Aymoz, who set the mood from those initial 5 seconds. I love that about skating in general, and if Nathan never gets to that point then it's still okay because he's still amazing. Just selfishly I hope he becomes that perfect.

olympic

I believe people (fans, admirers) are focused on Yuzu's theatricality and it probably escapes them that Yuzu isn't really THE most gifted skater. I would say for example that Mikhail and Jason have better SS specifically. But he has done a very good job of combining enough tech and quads w/ the great skills he does possess, and then packaging himself like a star complete w/ costumes and a brand.

canbelto

I believe people (fans, admirers) are focused on Yuzu's theatricality and it probably escapes them that Yuzu isn't really THE most gifted skater. I would say for example that Mikhail and Jason have better SS specifically. But he has done a very good job of combining enough tech and quads w/ the great skills he does possess, and then packaging himself like a star complete w/ costumes and a brand.

Yuzu does some things extremely well. For instance, he gets a lot of distance on a few strokes and thus can seem like he's flying across the ice.
Nathan's consistency with jumps is incredible though. Never seen anything like it.

Marco

as far as Nathan goes- this program was out of this world, absolutely. I'll rewatch it a thousand times I'm sure. The only thing missing for me, and this is for Nathan and Nathan only, is the setting a mood right from the beginning. I get that he's doing 5 quads. I get that it's crazy and difficult. I just wish the program came to life just a littttttle bit during that first segment of jumps. Shae was wonderful in him really setting a captivating mood with the step sequence, and also I think the music and the layout following that really help to build to a great finish. Still, I think he's totally capable of adding a little more variety. And I look to skaters like Kolyada (his LP at least) and Aymoz, who set the mood from those initial 5 seconds. I love that about skating in general, and if Nathan never gets to that point then it's still okay because he's still amazing. Just selfishly I hope he becomes that perfect.
And perhaps having a better toe/edge jump balance in his reportoire?! Only 2 edge jumps out of 7 passes and no loop attempts (unless you count the euler :p).

olympic

No, but speaking for myself, I don't ever look at it like a Nathan vs. Yuzuru thing and typically whenever I comment on one or the other, a few people seem to take it as me doing so.

I love both for their own reasons, I personally like Nathan a bit more at this stage as I think Yuzuru is phoning it in a little while he works on that 4A, but as far as Nathan goes- this program was out of this world, absolutely. I'll rewatch it a thousand times I'm sure. The only thing missing for me, and this is for Nathan and Nathan only, is the setting a mood right from the beginning. I get that he's doing 5 quads. I get that it's crazy and difficult. I just wish the program came to life just a littttttle bit during that first segment of jumps. Shae was wonderful in him really setting a captivating mood with the step sequence, and also I think the music and the layout following that really help to build to a great finish. Still, I think he's totally capable of adding a little more variety. And I look to skaters like Kolyada (his LP at least) and Aymoz, who set the mood from those initial 5 seconds. I love that about skating in general, and if Nathan never gets to that point then it's still okay because he's still amazing. Just selfishly I hope he becomes that perfect.
As a Nathan uber, I agree with you. There were moments in the LP where I thought 'his arms could be more extended' or 'he could show more tension throughout his body' or 'show some emotion'. That last one can't be forced though. The thing about Nathan is that he is who he is. He's pretty drama-free and that is reflected in his skating.

sk9tingfan

As a Nathan uber, I agree with you. There were moments in the LP where I thought 'his arms could be more extended' or 'he could show more tension throughout his body' or 'show some emotion'. That last one can't be forced though. The thing about Nathan is that he is who he is. He's pretty drama-free and that is reflected in his skating.
He is also very realistic about his own skating abilities and has on many occasions indicated that there a lot of things about his skating he does not like and would like to improve. BTW, the New York Times has yet to put in a single mention about the World Figure Skating Championships, let alone Nathan's win. I sent them a nasty tweet.:confused:

Sylvia

TBD
This tweet includes a short clip of Nathan talking the media via Zoom: https://twitter.com/Olympics/status/1376560702320734208
Article by Nick McCarvel:

ETA:

Russian Eurosport video of Nathan's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwYOND_c6j0

World feed with Mark Hanretty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRHUBkdIsi8

Chinese TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZrE-vm6mIU

Spanish TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imn4xEbrTrY

Russian Channel One's video with @dinakt's translation (thank you!):
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ason-news-updates.107352/page-10#post-5984149

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
And perhaps having a better toe/edge jump balance in his reportoire?! Only 2 edge jumps out of 7 passes and no loop attempts (unless you count the euler :p).
I don't mind that so much. Fill up the jump blocks with the elements that are strongest. He's doing 5 quads, only can repeat one, chooses not to do the loop there so that's fine. Sixth element has to include an Axel, and why wouldn't the 7th be a more difficult triple Lutz?

canbelto

Nathan's edge jumps aren't that consistent. It's probably easier for him to do a quad lutz than a triple axel.

meer

So angry disappointed with Johnny and his propensity to recognize Nathan's skating solely from the perspective of technical brilliance. He refuses to give Nathan any recognition/kudos for his artistic brilliance.
tbh Johnny is terrified of a certain group of people. He said something nice about Nathan after nationals the year before last, when a certain skater was doing a tribute to him, and it didn't end well for him. I thought Tara and Johnny were awkward and tense as hell in their commentary about Nathan at the end. Tara was not having his talk about positive GOE and artistry. For once in my life I was Team Tara. :rofl:

sk9tingfan

The Yale Daily News has posted an article on Nathan, updating his graduation date to the class 0f '23. Sounds like Nathan may be accelerating his course load as he would still have his junior and senior years to complete

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information