Nathan Chen Fan Thread #2

Sylvia

TBD
What's the base value of a 4T4T, 4Z4T?
I've replied here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...for-2019-20-season.105647/page-3#post-5705767

ETA:

The GPF closing banquet was held at the Egyptian museum in Torino... here's a photo of Kamila Valieva posing with Nathan (re-posted on one of her fan IG accounts):

Last edited:

Dobre

Can I have issues instead with the fact that he just skated a brilliant World record performance, and there are 9 times as many posts about his shirt rather than the performance?

I realize this is because people have pretty much nothing else to complain about it, and we on FSU take our complaining seriously. (The ice dance fan in me would like to fix the trip in the choreographic footwork every time I watch the video;). Which has possibly been a lot:)).

Last edited:

jlai

Question everything
We are out of superlatives for this performance, and complaining about the small imperfections in the performance (like the trip) will get us "banned" from an appreciation thread, so the only thing we can talk about without getting in trouble is his shirt.

eta: I just want to stick my neck out by saying...Nathan, please put that footwork into the 3A back. I loved it. like LOOOOVED it.

cheremary

Came across this very well-done podcast that Nathan did with Lilah Fear (with a cameo from Jean-Luc Baker):

It was released in September but was likely conducted earlier in the summer because they're in Montreal. Lilah asked some great questions and they cover a wide variety of topics including his upbringing, family, the Olympic experience, mentality on skating, college life, etc. Nathan comes across as very well-adjusted and it's nice to hear from him on a more personal level, as opposed to some of the more businesslike questions that we typically get from press conferences and the like.

Also, speaking of Jean-Luc and Nathan, USFS has released a series of videos with the skaters playing games from Champs Camp, and this one with Nathan hosting Food Phrase is hilarious, mainly because Jean-Luc is hilariously bad at this game. Highly recommend if you need a little pick me up ;) https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4iseLEAL5f/

Sylvia

TBD
This podcast link (interview by Meryl Davis in Torino) was posted in the U.S. Men's thread yesterday:
Today's episode of the Olympic Channel Podcast is Nathan. It's nicely organized and has some good insights.

ETA:

Cute moment after the GPF gala:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Just realized Jean-Christophe Berlot's article from the GPF in Torino wasn't posted here (Dec. 10, 2019):
Excerpt:
"Every time I compete there are always things I can improve on. I like to improve every time I can. I haven't yet felt after a program that it was as great as it could possibly be. There are always little bits I can tune," Chen explained. "Technically I did everything here, but I can always improve on PCS (Program Component Scores) and the overall program. Yuzuru is much better at them than I am. If he had skated perfectly, he would have won. Look at the way the whole crowd is welcoming him. He has that energy you can feel on the ice. These are things I'd like to emulate as much as I can."
Chen rotated no less than 35 times in the air during his 4-min. free program. After all, the earth needs 35 days to do the same! Not bad, for a Rocketman.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Congratulations to Nathan on winning his fourth US title! :respec: :cheer::cheer2:

Article about Nathan which mentions that his FS was not shown by local networks due to the press conference on the Kobe helicopter tragedy.

Nathan Chen shaken, inspired by Kobe Bryant in brilliant free skate that clinched fourth national figure skating title NBC cut away from Chen’s live performance for a news conference on NBA star’s death in a helicopter crash

Unbeknownst to Chen, many of his fans missed watching his free skate live because of Bryant. NBC, which was airing the championships live, cut to a news conference about the crash that killed Bryant and eight others, including Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter. Fans were directed to watch Brown and Chen’s performances online on the network’s NBC Sports app.

Fiero425

:rolleyes: They replayed Nathan's LP right after they left press conference! The performance not seen is Jason's! I'm looking forward to replay on cable this week after hearing he used "Schindler's List!" Love those violins! :violin:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
:rolleyes: They replayed Nathan's LP right after they left press conference! The performance not seen is Jason's! I'm looking forward to replay on cable this week after hearing he used "Schindler's List!" Love those violins! :violin:

Yes, but as the article points out, his fans missed seeing Nathan's FS LIVE, as well as Jason's. The article also mentioned that only Nathan's FS was shown after the press conference. It just wasn't the same after they showed that heartbreaking press news update. For my own part, it ruined the mood and the moment.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I remembered Nathan was a basketball fan and I was hoping maybe the news could be kept from him until after his skate, so he wouldn't be rattled. But he handled it fine.

believed

lurkz2

Was in transit when the Instagram post was picked up and now I cannot find it, but Raf was at Yale in CT with Nathan this past week. There's a picture of the two of them at The Whale.

Here it is

A.H.Black

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/02/13/a-lesson-in-salovey-at-yale/

The relevant passage reads -

Passion is when you make eye-contact with someone wearing a YSIG quarter zip. It’s all the times you’ve searched Yale student facebook or when you go to office hours because you know the hot athlete will be there. It’s when first-years see Josh Beasley in their dining hall or when literally anyone sees Nathan Chen in their dining hall. Thus even if buried deep down, I’d argue that Yale students aren’t lacking in passion.

sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan

Nathan just Instagrammed a restaurant in New Haven that serves up very authentic Thai food called September in Bangkok. I might just try it. :) It's good to see he indulges in a varied diet. The menu choices look yummy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information