Nancy Pelosi Announces Impeachment Inquiry

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
The real reason (some) Republicans are not upset with what Trump did is because (a) they are as unethical as he is and (b) they will defend anything he does no matter how irrational that defense may be.
By all accounts, the Republicans are upset and are struggling to find a workable defense strategy, so I don't know where @caseyedwards is getting the idea that they don't care.

caseyedwards

Steele is a former spy who worked in Russia. Where else would he go?

No, they paid for opposition research. They hadI no idea what it would unearth.
But they had no problems getting dirt on trump from putin. Trusting info from putin.

By all accounts, the Republicans are upset and are struggling to find a workable defense strategy, so I don't know where @caseyedwards is getting the idea that they don't care.
If they cared they would vote to remove trump. What you say is a sign they don’t care

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
I don't know where @caseyedwards is getting the idea that they don't care.
From the mobs at his rallies who are wearing "Read the Transcript" t-shirts and the talking heads saying There was no Quid Pro Pro. Okay, there was but it's not illegal/impeachable? Also, from the fact that his approval rating is around 95% among Republicans and hasn't gone down since the impeachment inquiry started?

There are definitely Trump supporters who don't care what he did and are being very vocal right now. I see them on my Facebook feed even (and my feed skews very liberal).

Though I did just see this headline:

Zemgirl

From the mobs at his rallies who are wearing "Read the Transcript" t-shirts and the talking heads saying There was no Quid Pro Pro. Okay, there was but it's not illegal/impeachable? Also, from the fact that his approval rating is around 95% among Republicans and hasn't gone down since the impeachment inquiry started?
Trump's approval rate is not that high, even among Republicans. Daniel Dale keeps pointing this out, to no avail.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Maybe caseyedwards meant that there are Trump supporters who don't care (which is indisputable), but what was said was that Republicans don't care, which I took to mean active politicians. I haven't seen one of them say that the Steele dossier cancels out the Ukraine deal. Maybe I missed it and caseyedwards will educate me.

I also haven't seen any Trump supporters making the argument that the Steele dossier cancels outteh Ukraine deal, either, but maybe I missed that, too.

ballettmaus

But they had no problems getting dirt on trump from putin. Trusting info from putin.
I don't know if they knew where the information came from but they trusted the sources a former spy used (and used while he was a spy to keep his country safe) and they trusted the firm they had hired.

caseyedwards

No need to worry about a primary challenger?
Only trump supporters are calling themselves republicans now but far more people are republicans than just 29% of the population. So if Kasich ran and republicans who no longer call themselves republicans vote trump would easily lose

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I think we're ticking down to throw Rudy under the bus time. Eventually Trump's defense is going to be, "It wasn't me! It was Rudy!"

Susan1

I think we're ticking down to throw Rudy under the bus time. Eventually Trump's defense is going to be, "It wasn't me! It was Rudy!"
And Rudy's going to say "trump made me do it". More distraction from the facts.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And Rudy's going to say "trump made me do it". More distraction from the facts.
well the thing about Rudy is that they are going to try to make him testify under oath. And what he would say if they succeeded is that he discussed everything with Trump and Trump wanted him to do it.

There are probably also documents that show this.

Everything at this point is going to come down to whether Democrats can get the testimony and documents.

Meanwhile, Mark Sumner at Daily Kos says Barr is working on releasing a report on the Russia investigation that will use cherry picked classified information to try to validate the whole of Trump's Ukraine conspiracy theory thing.

I think there's such a glaring flaw in this that it won't fly. See if you can spot it:

Barr is directly attempting to put some proof behind the claims that Donald Trump was trying to extort out of Ukraine: That there was never any real contact between Russia and the Trump campaign, that the DNC servers were not in fact hacked by Russia, that Maltese professor Joseph Mifsud was a CIA plant put in place to lure George Papadopoulos, that Australian official Andrew Downer was an instrument of U.S. intelligence, and that Ukrainian hackers conspired with Hillary Clinton to make it seem as if Russia stole data from the DNC and presented it to WikiLeaks, when all the while it was a scheme to justify launching an investigation into the Trump campaign.
Believing this requires believing that the Clinton campaign damaged itself by getting the DNC emails released. That's idiotic, as are other parts of this. But Barr could be trying to cook up something that will at least be a distraction.

ballettmaus

Believing this requires believing that the Clinton campaign damaged itself by getting the DNC emails released. That's idiotic, as are other parts of this. But Barr could be trying to cook up something that will at least be a distraction.
Well, you know, she didn't really want to be the first female President but she was afraid to drop out from the race (for whatever reason, maybe she was afraid of the DNC?) so she manipulated her own campaign while also starting to spread conspiracy theories about her opponent during the campaign because, as a long-time public servant, she hates America and wanted to divide the country. :saint:

mag

Then they both will throw Pompeo under the bus.
This is the one part that perplexes me. Pompeo has been around for a long time. He is ex CIA chief. You would think he could see the guy 6 blocks away who is running full speed to throw him under the bus. What does Trump have in him that is keeping him loyal especially when his spidey sense must be telling him to cut and run?

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
Believing this requires believing that the Clinton campaign damaged itself by getting the DNC emails released.
It's kind of like those conspiracy theories that claim the Clintons are these all-powerful criminals who have their opponents killed except for all those people who have managed to embarrass them and derail their projects. Because it makes total sense to kill Vince Foster but not Anthony Weiner (as but one example).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's kind of like those conspiracy theories that claim the Clintons are these all-powerful criminals who have their opponents killed except for all those people who have managed to embarrass them and derail their projects. Because it makes total sense to kill Vince Foster but not Anthony Weiner (as but one example).
Yes, conspiracy theories by nature try to take actual facts and weave them into a fictional narrative to prove something that is false. But people seem to fall for them precisely because they are so convoluted. I think people lose the thread along the way but are still impressed with all the "facts" cited.

I'm thinking that someone is going to start telling us how Hillary Clinton actually decided to have a private email server when she became secretary of state as the first step toward that future effort to derail Donald Trump.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This is the one part that perplexes me. Pompeo has been around for a long time. He is ex CIA chief. You would think he could see the guy 6 blocks away who is running full speed to throw him under the bus. What does Trump have in him that is keeping him loyal especially when his spidey sense must be telling him to cut and run?
Photos? Videos? Text messages? (involving hookers and/or drugs). Or maybe Pompeo owes him or Putin $$$$.

Last edited:

Susan1

Does anybody watch The Good Doctor? A couple weeks ago, one of the patients was a conspiracy theorist there in secret. The first funny thing was someone asking if the secret patient was the president. One of the doctors said something like he's even less popular than that. (ha ha) But Shawn (who is on the autism spectrum) was talking to him about truth and lies and the patient said he still believed vaccinations caused autism, but that he didn't believe there was a secret child sex ring in the basement of a pizza place anymore. hee hee hee
This is the one part that perplexes me. Pompeo has been around for a long time. He is ex CIA chief.
Remember - "Everything that trump touches dies". Everybody that gets involved with him ruins their good reputation and their futures or ends up in prison, and I want to know why. trump couldn't have something on all these people. He can't shut up. He'd be tweeting hints all the time if they even looked at him crooked. His making up childish names shouldn't cause all of these adults to roll over and play dead.
~~~~
I guess this can go in the impeachment thread?

Last edited:

Simone411

Well, Bleffing Cofefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
I know one thing. Trump is more concerned about Jon Bel Edwards winning in the run off than he is about Impeachment. The run off is November 16th. Tonight he's having a rally in Monroe, La. and another in Bossier City, La. November 14th.

Here's a live stream for the rally in Monroe. He's just now arriving. I've seen commercials all week where he continually says "We must get rid of John Bel Edwards!" So this should be something else tonight.

Live stream for Trump rally in Monroe

Simone411

Well, Bleffing Cofefe! Clippy's flipping over P/C!
Okay y'all! I am laughing so hard at this moment. He just said that the impeachment was a hoax! I don't how much more I can take, and poor Nancy Polosi. He's now after the whistle blower and the 2nd whistle blower "if there really is another whistle blower". He said it's illegal acts! :rofl:

Just editing! He's now shouting and hollering about "Sleepy Joe Biden". Oh, and "Pocahontas" is emerging from the ashes!

Last edited:

Susan1

Trump wanted Barr to hold a news conference announcing he had done nothing wrong with regards to the Ukraine call. Apparently, Barr declined but Trump has said that he wished Barr had done it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-wanted-barr-to-hold-news-conference-saying-the-president-broke-no-laws-in-call-with-ukrainian-leader/2019/11/06/16d541ec-ff55-11e9-8bab-0fc209e065a8_story.html
I keep wishing that with more of this current corruption coming out now, people will realize that trump really did "collude" with Russia and Barr covered it up.

And how everybody is flipping out about Graham saying he wouldn't look at the evidence - either (1) he doesn't have to because he's known perfectly well what trump did all along, or (2) of course he is going to read it all, but he has to "play" dumb so he can plead ignorance. How many people in the last three years have said something to the effect of "I didn't read it" or "I don't know anything about it"?

Susan1

Okay y'all! I am laughing so hard at this moment. He just said that the impeachment was a hoax! I don't how much more I can take, and poor Nancy Polosi. He's now after the whistle blower and the 2nd whistle blower "if there really is another whistle blower". He said it's illegal acts! :rofl:

Just editing! He's now shouting and hollering about "Sleepy Joe Biden". Oh, and "Pocahontas" is emerging from the ashes!

canbelto

"We don't have freedom of the presses!" Donald Trump apparently never took a civics class.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
"We don't have freedom of the presses!" Donald Trump apparently never took a civics class.

Apparently he referred to the "degenerate Washington Post." This ties back to the story about the FL county council that wouldn't approve the library's request for a digital subscription to the NY Times. Trump is working his twitter to convince his followers that there is no independent media whose reporting is factual. The extent to which he has succeeded with this is an indication of how far his push toward authoritarianism has already taken this country. Democracy cannot be sustained when 40% of the country only believes what the president tells them and disdains the independent media.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 21, Guests: 8)