Nancy Pelosi Announces Impeachment Inquiry

caseyedwards

meh, they are following the basic line the Trump admin is using, that the full House must vote to authorize an impeachment inquiry, which claim they invented out of thin air.
It’s not out of thin air. It’s based on the votes in 1974 and 1998

Susan1

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I can't wait.

:watch:

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
The White House has reached out to outside lawyers for impeachment counsel. One of the lawyers they reached out to is Trey Malfoy. :scream:
Did he ever get his lunch back? Y'know, the one Sec. Clinton ate in front of him?

sk9tingfan

Last edited:

ballettmaus

Does the WH realize that if Pelosi held a floor vote on impeachment it would not just put Democrats on the record (who already are on the record anyway) but also Republicans? Why do they assume it would be worse for Democrats?

Vagabond

Does the WH realize that if Pelosi held a floor vote on impeachment it would not just put Democrats on the record (who already are on the record anyway) but also Republicans? Why do they assume it would be worse for Democrats?
Why do you take what the White House says at face value?

ErikWilliam

Presumably blocking Sondland is mainly a power play to show they aren't going to cooperate, but they might want to take a look at that poll. The more they refuse to cooperate the more they appear to be obstructing (because they are) the higher the support for the inquiry and support for impeachment are going to go up. If they were intelligent they'd realize they need to defuse this. But they aren't.
This is what I don't get with my Rep friends/family. They hated Obama and Hillary, and welcomed any witch hunt against them. I just chalked it all up to politics as usual. But can you imagine if Obama or Hillary refused a subpoena, refused to testify??? Even I would have been like "What are you hiding?". But then I think I have a good mind and sense of right/wrong. Reps these days are cultists IMO. What's wrong with testifying? If you are clean, show it. Hiding and refusing subpoenas is unacceptable.

ballettmaus

Why do you take what the White House says at face value?
Are you referring to the WH saying that Pelosi needs to hold a floor vote before they'll cooperate or that Republicans want to put Democrats on the record because they assume it's bad for Democrats?

I don't expect the WH to cooperate if Pelosi holds a vote. If the vote is along party lines, they'll just say that they don't have to cooperate with an impeachment supported by only Democrats or something. I'm just puzzled by the WH's insistence that Pelosi hold a vote because, unless there's something I don't know, holding an actual vote could be just as bad for some Republicans as it might be for some Democrats. So, it seems like they could be shooting themselves in the foot (not that that would be the first time).

I guess, the fact that Republicans aren't more concerned makes me suspicious. Is it really just that they might be misjudging the situation or do they know something that I/we don't?

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Well apparently in the letter that the WH sent to Democrats they didn't demand a floor vote and on a call with reporters they wouldn't say what Dem would have to do to make the impeachment inquiry legitimate.

At some point they realized that Dems are not necessarily afraid of vote and House Republicans are.

I'm not seeing that they are making any argument about what a legitimate impeachment inquiry would be at this point. Its just a bluff to see if they can't somehow regain momentum by getting everyone to suddenly think the Democrats are acting illegitimately because they said so.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Trump acts on impulse and seldom follows the advice given him unless it's from someone he admires or wants to profit from. He then demands that everybody do what he says. So, anything coming from the WH is totally unknown. You can't anticipate logical actions because he isn't logical, albeit he has "great wisdom." Every time he does something stupid, the polls approving impeachment just go up.

The fact he had the DOJ asking for a redo on Nixon court rulings is hugely telling. And reeks of desperation. He feels impeachment will look bad on his resume :rolleyes: and is getting increasingly desperate to prevent it is worrisome because who knows what the hell he'll do next. Try to get the military to arrest all Democrats? I'd have laughed at such a notion three years ago, but now, who knows.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Just like almost all democrats voted for a narrow impeachment inquiry of Clinton republicans can vote for an impeachment inquiry against trump that gives him and them more rights

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
Ohh Gowdy refused to represent Trump? Most of my Trump friends LOVE Trey. They will be so disappointed. :watch:

eta: Well poop. I love watching them get all snowflakey.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Trump acts on impulse and seldom follows the advice given him unless it's from someone he admires or wants to profit from. He then demands that everybody do what he says. So, anything coming from the WH is totally unknown. You can't anticipate logical actions because he isn't logical, albeit he has "great wisdom." Every time he does something stupid, the polls approving impeachment just go up.

The fact he had the DOJ asking for a redo on Nixon court rulings is hugely telling. And reeks of desperation. He feels impeachment will look bad on his resume :rolleyes: and is getting increasingly desperate to prevent it is worrisome because who knows what the hell he'll do next. Try to get the military to arrest all Democrats? I'd have laughed at such a notion three years ago, but now, who knows.
I'm concerned that Republicans are allowing Trump to suck them into going down a dangerous rat hole with them, well more dangerous than where he has already taken them. If they go along with his claims that everything the Dems are doing is unconstitutional, if they decide to hold fake hearings to allow people to spew conspiracy theories, if they go along with using the power of the presidency to quash all constitutional processes of Congressional oversight, we will be in a true constitutional crisis like we have never seen. And there would not likely be any way out that is itself constitutional.

But before we get to that, who the heck knows what Trump might do?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm concerned that Republicans are allowing Trump to suck them into going down a dangerous rat hole with them, well more dangerous than where he has already taken them. If they go along with his claims that everything the Dems are doing is unconstitutional, if they decide to hold fake hearings to allow people to spew conspiracy theories, if they go along with using the power of the presidency to quash all constitutional processes of Congressional oversight, we will be in a true constitutional crisis like we have never seen. And there would not likely be any way out that is itself constitutional.

But before we get to that, who the heck knows what Trump might do?
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/politics/nancy-pelosi-letter-impeachment/index.html This discusses some of the reasons why. But, I think things change every day. You kind of have to think like Trump which is challenging because even he doesn't know what he'll do. He reacts rather than acts. Part of this is timing with the elections just around the corner. The historians are going to have a field day with this in the future.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/08/politics/nancy-pelosi-letter-impeachment/index.html This discusses some of the reasons why. But, I think things change every day. You kind of have to think like Trump which is challenging because even he doesn't know what he'll do. He reacts rather than acts. Part of this is timing with the elections just around the corner. The historians are going to have a field day with this in the future.
Interesting article

In this Congress, the House majority already has unilateral subpoena power, a rule change that was made when Republicans last controlled the House, so Democrats don't need to pass any resolution to grant those powers.
Typical.

In the meantime, everyone of sound mind knows that Trump's call with Ukraine was an impeachable offense, that's why the people who heard it were terrified if it would be leaked and went to extraordinary lengths to hide it.

And further. Part of what Trump was asking on the call and part of what Giuliani has been pursuing is their desire to claim that the Russia investigation was a ruse for getting Trump, Russia didn't intervene in the 2016 election, Ukraine did in collusion with Democrats. Yet today the Republican controlled Senate released its bipartisan report on Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Yet Republicans actually believe they are going to be better off doing Trump's bidding than trying pretty much anything else.
Bipartisan Senate report calls for sweeping effort to prevent Russian interference in 2020 election (Washington Post)

A bipartisan panel of U.S. senators Tuesday called for sweeping action by Congress, the White House and Silicon Valley to ensure social media sites aren’t used to interfere in the coming presidential election, delivering a sobering assessment about the weaknesses that Russian operatives exploited in the 2016 campaign.

The Senate Intelligence Committee, a Republican-led panel that has been investigating foreign electoral interference for more than 2½ years, said in blunt language that Russians worked to damage Democrat Hillary Clinton while bolstering Republican Donald Trump — and made clear that fresh rounds of interference are likely ahead of the 2020 vote.

“Russia is waging an information warfare campaign against the U.S. that didn’t start and didn’t end with the 2016 election,” said Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.), the committee’s chairman. “Their goal is broader: to sow societal discord and erode public confidence in the machinery of government. By flooding social media with false reports, conspiracy theories, and trolls, and by exploiting existing divisions, Russia is trying to breed distrust of our democratic institutions and our fellow Americans.”

caseyedwards

Interesting article

Typical.

In the meantime, everyone of sound mind knows that Trump's call with Ukraine was an impeachable offense, that's why the people who heard it were terrified if it would be leaked and went to extraordinary lengths to hide it.

And further. Part of what Trump was asking on the call and part of what Giuliani has been pursuing is their desire to claim that the Russia investigation was a ruse for getting Trump, Russia didn't intervene in the 2016 election, Ukraine did in collusion with Democrats. Yet today the Republican controlled Senate released its bipartisan report on Russian interference in the 2016 election.

Yet Republicans actually believe they are going to be better off doing Trump's bidding than trying pretty much anything else.
Bipartisan Senate report calls for sweeping effort to prevent Russian interference in 2020 election (Washington Post)
But they need to be asked why they didn’t do 25th amendment removal of trump rather than hide it if they didn’t think it was legal!!! Why didn’t they do 25th amendment removal immediately!
And of republican senators think the 2016 election was illegitimate why don’t they call for impeachment and removal of trump and pence and make Hillary president?

Vagabond

White House Declares War on Impeachment Inquiry, Alleging Effort to Undo Trump’s Election
The White House declared war on the House impeachment inquiry on Tuesday, announcing that it would not cooperate with what it called an illegitimate and partisan effort “to overturn the results of the 2016 election” of Donald J. Trump.

In a letter to House Democratic leaders, the White House said the inquiry violated precedent and President Trump’s due process rights in such an egregious way that neither he nor the executive branch would willingly provide testimony or documents, a daring move that sets the stage for a constitutional clash.
I wonder if anyone on Trump's team has tried explaining to him what happened in United States v. Nixon. I suppose it would be a fool's errand, but still....

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I don't think anything could have gotten through Trump's brain. The guy was so upset about being investigated for possibly colluding with a foreign country to interfere in the 2016 election and he goes right out and does the exact thing he was investigated for and provokes an impeachment inquiry.

Of course this is the guy who couldn't imagine why there would be a problem with releasing that transcript of his "perfect" phone call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 16, Guests: 3)