Nancy Pelosi Announces Impeachment Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I paid no attention to the Clinton impeachment because it was clear to me that the Republicans did not want Al Gore to be running in 2000 as the incumbent president and therefore Clinton was never going to be removed from office. So it was an exercise in embarrassment. And even that barely worked since Gore won the popular vote as did Hillary Clinton.

Since the outcome of this impeachment seems to be already decided, the motivation and exploitation are the interesting issues (at least for me). This impeachment is about righteous indignation and soundbites, especially those useful for commercials. Trump (unless he miraculously vanishes) will be the biggest issue of the 2020 election. Democratic candidates for all offices will run against him and the more use they can make of their Republican opponents defending him, the better they can exploit the situation. The Republicans in turn will court the Trump base and wiggle around as best they can with the other voters (or talk about the wonderfulness of a stagnant economy).

Meanwhile, if the appropriate Democratic Congresspeople are around to read this, one of the counts of impeachment should be violation of the emoluments clause. Even the Republicans are embarrassed by how barefacedly Trump has tried to use his office for personal gain. It's a big word but a real easy concept. And it would allow the Democrats to list Jared, Ivanka, Don Jr. and Erik as witnesses, since they're all exploiting the office to improve the family businesses.

I used "exploit" in some form or another 3 times in this post. I'll cheerfully blame that on the environment created by Republicans.

skatesindreams

caseyedwards

I paid no attention to the Clinton impeachment because it was clear to me that the Republicans did not want Al Gore to be running in 2000 as the incumbent president and therefore Clinton was never going to be removed from office. So it was an exercise in embarrassment. And even that barely worked since Gore won the popular vote as did Hillary Clinton.

Since the outcome of this impeachment seems to be already decided, the motivation and exploitation are the interesting issues (at least for me). This impeachment is about righteous indignation and soundbites, especially those useful for commercials. Trump (unless he miraculously vanishes) will be the biggest issue of the 2020 election. Democratic candidates for all offices will run against him and the more use they can make of their Republican opponents defending him, the better they can exploit the situation. The Republicans in turn will court the Trump base and wiggle around as best they can with the other voters (or talk about the wonderfulness of a stagnant economy).

Meanwhile, if the appropriate Democratic Congresspeople are around to read this, one of the counts of impeachment should be violation of the emoluments clause. Even the Republicans are embarrassed by how barefacedly Trump has tried to use his office for personal gain. It's a big word but a real easy concept. And it would allow the Democrats to list Jared, Ivanka, Don Jr. and Erik as witnesses, since they're all exploiting the office to improve the family businesses.

I used "exploit" in some form or another 3 times in this post. I'll cheerfully blame that on the environment created by Republicans.
But democrats protected bill Clinton! Republicans voted overwhelmingly to remove Clinton. Democrats made the mistake republicans are making now. Just much better to move on from a scandal tarred person. Be much better Politcally to just dump the impeached president. Clinton cost gore in 2000. Gore should have won like bush in 88 but the race was close. So no matter what they actually feel all republicans should support making pence president now. Like I look back and say Clinton should have resigned or all democrats should have voted to remove Clinton

ballettmaus

I'll be honest--and I know never question Nancy Pelosi as she has the most wisdom and I do take that very seriously--but I think the Democrats are making a big mistake if they go quickly to an impeachment vote. This is what Trump and the Republicans want. Quick impeachment vote, trial in the Senate where they spend a couple of weeks talking about Hunter Biden, Trump acquitted and we all move on.

I really hope they hold more hearings and try again to get the Administration big wigs who are refusing to comply.
My impression is that Democrats have resigned themselves to the fact that Trump will never be removed from office, so they do their Consitutional duty because they feel they have to (which I agree with) but they don't think it's worth the effort to take their time and get it all on the table and wait for the courts.
Maybe they're right. But I agree with you. I wish they'd go slower and I wish they'd do something to enforce their subpoenas. I think enforcing them sends a stronger message to this President and future ones than just writing up article of obstruction of Congress. Sure, Trump will be impeached but it'll be along party lines, so as bothered as he'll be by it, he can just shrug it off and it won't deter him from further obstruction. I also don't think it would deter future Presidents. However, (future) WH aides might think twice about going along with a President's obstruction if subpoenas are enforced and there are true consequences for ignoring them.

I think by going so quickly, Democrats are playing into the hands of Republicans, in a way, at least. It will help them in 2020 in so far that impeachment will not be part of the election. But I also believe that it makes the Republican argument that this is just about the President and not the Constitution stronger.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
My impression is that Democrats have resigned themselves to the fact that Trump will never be removed from office, so they do their Consitutional duty because they feel they have to (which I agree with) but they don't think it's worth the effort to take their time and get it all on the table and wait for the courts.
Maybe they're right. But I agree with you. I wish they'd go slower and I wish they'd do something to enforce their subpoenas. I think enforcing them sends a stronger message to this President and future ones than just writing up article of obstruction of Congress. Sure, Trump will be impeached but it'll be along party lines, so as bothered as he'll be by it, he can just shrug it off and it won't deter him from further obstruction. I also don't think it would deter future Presidents. However, (future) WH aides might think twice about going along with a President's obstruction if subpoenas are enforced and there are true consequences for ignoring them.

I think by going so quickly, Democrats are playing into the hands of Republicans, in a way, at least. It will help them in 2020 in so far that impeachment will not be part of the election. But I also believe that it makes the Republican argument that this is just about the President and not the Constitution stronger.
I am ambivalent about this. On one hand I want a thorough investigation so the whole truth comes out.

OTOH I feel they should strike while the iron is hot. Everything is fresh in people’s minds. A long drawn out court battle could make the public lose interest and ignore the whole thing. Trump is obviously trying to run out the clock. The courts seem in no hurry to make decisions. It is a no win situation for the Dems. At least they will be successful in impeaching Trump. It will send the intended message- no one is above the law. They can then focus on winning the 2020 elections.

Once Trump is out of the office (hopefully in January 2021), let the courts take care of him. He could even be charged with obstruction of justice, I hope. I would love to see him sent to prison.

caseyedwards

I am ambivalent about this. On one hand I want a thorough investigation so the whole truth comes out.

OTOH I feel they should strike while the iron is hot. Everything is fresh in people’s minds. A long drawn out court battle could make the public lose interest and ignore the whole thing. Trump is obviously trying to run out the clock. The courts seem in no hurry to make decisions. It is a no win situation for the Dems. At least they will be successful in impeaching Trump. It will send the intended message- no one is above the law. They can then focus on winning the 2020 elections.

Once Trump is out of the office (hopefully in January 2021), let the courts take care of him. He could even be charged with obstruction of justice, I hope. I would love to see him sent to prison.
Let’s see the next democratic president jail his political opponent!! Lol

ErikWilliam

Don't mess with Pelosi. I love this woman.

She is a BOSS!!! I am so glad she went back to the podium and said that. It's not about 'hate'. It is about correcting a clear mistake which Trump's election was. He's shown pretty much ever since he was elected that he is a con man, and is only looking out for his own best and financial interests. Brava, Mdm President!

ballettmaus

Once Trump is acquitted his abuse of power and office will get worse. Look at Giuliani right now. They're going to manipulate the hell out of 2020.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
I have just started reading Neal Katyal's book 'Impeach'. I liked the way he started it - "imagine.....".

Trump's statements after the announcement of the upcoming impeachment are already making me sick.

caseyedwards

I learned from Neal Katyal that impeachment is not subject to double jeopardy. #funfact
Of course not! It’s not a criminal proceeding! But then the dream of the next democratic president putting trump McConnell graham etc etc in prison is kind of silly

ballettmaus

Of course not! It’s not a criminal proceeding! But then the dream of the next democratic president putting trump McConnell graham etc etc in prison is kind of silly
Of course it is, because if a President did that it would be an abuse of power.

Simone411

May the odds be ever in your favor!
I watched the news earlier where during a conference Reporter James Rosen asked Nancy Pelosi if she hated President Trump.

#Don't Mess With Nancy: Pelosi's Viral Clash With Reporter Inspire Trending Hashtag, Backlash - and Merchandise

I can't blame Nancy at all. She didn't take that question lightly and stated that she didn't hate anybody.

“I don’t hate anybody,” Pelosi shot back, at times punctuating her remarks with scornful finger-wagging. She later added, “As a Catholic, I resent your using the word ‘hate’ in a sentence that addresses me. I don’t hate anyone. I was raised in a way that is a heart full of love, and always pray for the president, and I still pray for the president. I pray for the president all the time. So, don’t mess with me when it comes to words like that.”
I don't hate anyone, either. I don't hate President Trump, either. I just lost respect for him way before he became President. The first time was when I saw the documentary on YouTube about how he treated a farmer in Scotland calling the man and his farm a pigsty because he didn't want anyone to be able to see the farmer's home from his luxury hotel golf resort that he was building. He was underhanded with his attempts and even somehow managed to have the farmer's water cut off for two weeks. The farmer never gave in, however.

That was in 2012 while I was at Nurse Care in Shreveport when I first saw the documentary. Of course my life changed and I became permanently disabled.

Then after Donald Trump announced he was running for President, one of my friends asked on Facebook who was voting for him. Most of my friends said they were voting for him.

I replied that I wouldn't be voting for him because of the name calling, how he treated women and because of him making fun of and mocking a disabled person. Being disabled, myself, I could not approve of anyone who had the audacity to show so much disrespect toward anyone much less us who were disabled.

To me, it was one of the worst offenses he could have done, and I actually found an article where it was entitled Donald Trump's Worst Offense? Mocking Disabled Reporter, Poll Finds

Needless to say, after I said I wouldn't vote for Trump because of the name calling, mocking a disabled person, etc., one of my 'friends' replied to me and said "I don't give a damn how he's treated women or if he's mocked disable people or not. I'm voting for Donald Trump because I don't want that b_tch Hillary Clinton to win!"

By the way, my friend was a women and she said she didn't care how Donald Trump had treated women including the name calling. This friend of mine was fairly intelligent and had nearly a 4.0 average while she was in high school. I realized what was lacking with her was common sense and judgment. She'd rather have a President that disrespected women, called people names and made fun of disabled people than have a President that would have never made fun of any disabled person and wouldn't call people names whether she agreed with them or not.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

There's a certain amount of "probably" and "reportedly" in this story:

Trump reportedly spoke to Giuliani on unsecured cellphone lines likely tapped by Russia spies.
One official told The Washington Post that President Donald Trump's habit of using unsecured phone lines was a "bonanza" for foreign intelligence.
And what’s the plan of Secretary of state and secretary of defense with regard to trump being national security threat? Anything? 25th amendment removal?

Peaches LaTour

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I watched the news earlier where during a conference Reporter James Rosen asked Nancy Pelosi if she hated President Trump.
Rosen now works for right-wing Sinclair Broadcasting. The company that’s soon to own stations in 72% of local markets. The company that gives those stations “must-run” right-wing propaganda pieces. Rosen used to work for Fox [Not]News until he was forced to leave because of sexual harassment accusations.

caseyedwards

So they should all vote to oppose trumps plans to flood the US with fake news from Ukraine to destroy Biden!!

once_upon

New condo owner
The judicial hearing is interesting how the Republicans are interrupting the Chairman of the committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information