Nancy Pelosi Announces Impeachment Inquiry

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Finally, Demings is hitting the crux of the matter and the obstruction of justice. Her aides must have quickly put together that slide. I would totally vote for her is I lived in her district.

Sparks

Val Demings getting to the heart of obstruction. She reminds everyone of how many people have been directed not to testify before the house.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
Because it’s Burisma it could be stealing from the Ukrainian people.
But Hunter was just a (former) Board member at that point. So even if Burisma was found to be doing bad things, it's doubtful Hunter would be in trouble. It would be the executives at Burisma who would be in trouble.

And Trump didn't ask for Burisma to be investigated. Or ask for reassurances that the aid money would go where it was supposed to go. He asked for both Bidens to be investigated and said nothing about getting assurances that the aid would go to its intended targets.

So you still haven't answered the question of what Hunter Biden was supposed to have done that would investigated.

Sparks

A Val Demings tweet:
A reminder for my colleagues...President Trump, on his phone call: - Asks a foreign leader for a personal favor. - Mentions no U.S. policy objectives. - Mentions corruption zero times. - Mentions Biden three times.

Sparks

Karlan apologizes for her quip about Trump’s son, Baron. “I wish the president would apologize for the things that he’s done,” she added. But she added again she apologizes

Susan1

I caught a little bit of the comparison between obstructing justice in the Mueller investigation and this one. And it struck me again - he needed help from Russia to be elected the first time. And now he needed help from Ukraine this time. First president ever to not be able to be elected (or re-elected) without foreign help. He must really feel stupid and incompetent.

I turned on the t.v. earlier when a Dem was talking about how the 2018 elections went blue (paraphrasing here!) because the people wanted a check on trump and then it was some GOP guy's turn to yell about trump being elected by the will of the people. Well, no, the electoral college put trump in office. The midterms were the "will of the people".

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Another nugget from Prof. Karlan before she is swallowed alive by the rightwing outrage machine:

“Generally you don’t announce the investigation in a criminal case before you conduct it, because it puts the person under notice that they’re under investigation,” Karlan said.
And from Prof. Gerhardt

“Has a president ever refused to cooperate in an impeachment investigation?” Demmings asked.

“Not until now.” Gerhardt responded.

caseyedwards

I caught a little bit of the comparison between obstructing justice in the Mueller investigation and this one. And it struck me again - he needed help from Russia to be elected the first time. And now he needed help from Ukraine this time. First president ever to not be able to be elected (or re-elected) without foreign help. He must really feel stupid and incompetent.

I turned on the t.v. earlier when a Dem was talking about how the 2018 elections went blue (paraphrasing here!) because the people wanted a check on trump and then it was some GOP guy's turn to yell about trump being elected by the will of the people. Well, no, the electoral college put trump in office. The midterms were the "will of the people".
I don’t agree with saying the presidential results only reflect the people if the winner wins the popular vote!
But Hunter was just a (former) Board member at that point. So even if Burisma was found to be doing bad things, it's doubtful Hunter would be in trouble. It would be the executives at Burisma who would be in trouble.

And Trump didn't ask for Burisma to be investigated. Or ask for reassurances that the aid money would go where it was supposed to go. He asked for both Bidens to be investigated and said nothing about getting assurances that the aid would go to its intended targets.

So you still haven't answered the question of what Hunter Biden was supposed to have done that would investigated.
I did and you responded to it. Receiving stolen money which describes all Burisma money is awful

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Trumpet blast:

The prosecutor handpicked by Attorney General William P. Barr to scrutinize how U.S. agencies investigated President Trump’s 2016 campaign said he could not offer evidence to the Justice Department’s inspector general to support the suspicions of some conservatives that the case was a setup by American intelligence, people familiar with the matter said.

Justice Department Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s office contacted U.S. Attorney John Durham, the prosecutor Barr personally tapped to lead a separate review of the 2016 probe into possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia, the people said. The inspector general also contacted several U.S. intelligence agencies.
Barr’s handpicked prosecutor tells inspector general he can’t back right-wing theory that Russia case was U.S. intelligence setup (Washington Post)

Give it up, Barr.

Susan1

(try to ignore the typos :) )

snoopy

(Stolen money) which describes all Burisma money is awful
It’s not stolen money. You’re really stretching. And if it were stolen, you’re argument would apply to ALL board members and employees who received burisma money but trump didn’t care about any of the rest of them.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Dana Milbank eviscerates Jonathan Turley here: No wonder Jonathan Turley’s dog is mad

He cites quotes from Turley during Obama's presidency and the Clinton impeachment that fancy that! appear to assert the opposite of what he said today.

But I like the funny parts:

The House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday entered into democracy’s most sacred ritual, that solemn moment when the people’s representatives assemble to hear testimony about Jonathan Turley’s dog.

...“I get it: You are mad,” he testified. “The president is mad. My Democratic friends are mad. My Republican friends are mad. My wife is mad. My kids are mad. Even my dog seems mad — and Luna is a goldendoodle and they don’t get mad. So we’re all mad.”

Damn right we are! But nowhere in the Constitution does it state that a president shall not be impeached if people — or their dogs — are mad.

skateboy

Karlan apologizes for her quip about Trump’s son, Baron. “I wish the president would apologize for the things that he’s done,” she added. But she added again she apologizes
I love Karlan, but she made a pretty big faux pas here. It's good she apologized, but you know the Republicans are going to play this for all it's worth. :(

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Because it’s Burisma it could be stealing from the Ukrainian people.
Anything COULD be happening. Again, you need some sort of grounds for an investigation.

And I didn't ask what Burisma did; I asked what Hunter Biden did.

And Trump didn't ask for Burisma to be investigated. Or ask for reassurances that the aid money would go where it was supposed to go.
Yep.

Receiving stolen money which describes all Burisma money is awful
Can you provide me with a link that demonstrates that all Burisma money is stolen money?

I've read about all 15 investigations of Burisma, BTW, so I don't need a rehash. And given that there have been 15 investigations of Burisma already, one would think that Trump would have asked more questions about Burisma specifically.....if he were actually interested in Burisma.

It’s not stolen money. You’re really stretching. And if it were stolen, you’re argument would apply to ALL board members and employees who received burisma money but trump didn’t care about any of the rest of them.
Yep, we are back to why Trump wanted Hunter Biden investigated again.

This sort of flag might fly with Trump fans, but you're going to have to do better around here, @caseyedwards.

ballettmaus

I love Karlan, but she made a pretty big faux pas here. It's good she apologized, but you know the Republicans are going to play this for all it's worth. :(
She made a point, nothing more or less. I'm so freaking tired of one side apologizing for things that aren't even a thing because the other side whines and cries and deliberately misinterprets and threatens and twists the truth while they protect the most vile and despicable human being in decades and spit insults left and right themselves. When they find their manners and conscience again, we can talk. But until then, they should just shut the f*ck up.

On that note, Nunes had the audacity to suggest the majority submit their report as the minority view yesterday. I don't even know how that would work since majority and minority depends on the numbers... https://twitter.com/tomlobianco/status/1202356665204514824

MacMadame

Staying at home
Staff member
I can't believe he still hasn't recused himself. Okay, I can believe it because he's a horrible human being. I guess what I can't believe is that other Congress critters aren't demanding he recuse himself.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Yep, we are back to why Trump wanted Hunter Biden investigated again.
Not just Trump, but most of the GOPs on the Hill. They have taken control of the messaging and they're going to hammer on everything Hunter Biden throughout the election year. I wish Dems would change the narrative to support of long suffering Joe and distance themselves when it comes to statements of support for Hunter Biden. Even though he did nothing illegal with Burisma, he's way too problematic. He's recently continued the sleaze factor with his emphatic "Clintonesque" statement in the New Yorker interview that he did not have sex with that woman and now the test has confirmed he's a liar. He could have just said he didn't want to discuss it at the time, but instead he set up his child for shame and ridicule by making it a public spectacle that will live forever on the internet. A lot of people may not read about Burisma like we do, but most don't like deadbeat dads. The sooner Hunter Biden is in the rearview mirror the better for Dems in 2020.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C
WH is attacking her for her Barron/baron pun saying she was mocking the president's son.

I hope she has security protection.
That stuff was so ridiculous. She used his name as an example. That’s all. She was not attacking the kid. How many people has Trump insulted intentionally? I lost count.

That Turley is such a tool Autocorrect changed his name to Turkey- LOL. He deserves it, but that may be an insult to all turkeys.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
The "outrage" over Prof. Karlan's baron remark was typical Republican strategy. They look for something they can use to distract from what they don't want people to focus on and gin it up to fever pitch. They want to get everyone talking about that one thing to try to drown out discussion of actual impeachment content.

It works pretty well when people run to argue about whether it should be considered offensive or not. But for the most part major news media didn't let it saturate their coverage which is good.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
I'll be honest--and I know never question Nancy Pelosi as she has the most wisdom and I do take that very seriously--but I think the Democrats are making a big mistake if they go quickly to an impeachment vote. This is what Trump and the Republicans want. Quick impeachment vote, trial in the Senate where they spend a couple of weeks talking about Hunter Biden, Trump acquitted and we all move on.

I really hope they hold more hearings and try again to get the Administration big wigs who are refusing to comply.

Simone411

Do stand. Do stand six. Do stand six feet from me.
I'll be honest--and I know never question Nancy Pelosi as she has the most wisdom and I do take that very seriously--but I think the Democrats are making a big mistake if they go quickly to an impeachment vote. This is what Trump and the Republicans want. Quick impeachment vote, trial in the Senate where they spend a couple of weeks talking about Hunter Biden, Trump acquitted and we all move on.

I really hope they hold more hearings and try again to get the Administration big wigs who are refusing to comply.
Here's the deal with trying again to get the big wigs who are refusing to comply. It doesn't matter how much longer they hold the hearings.

When the cow jumps over the moon, pigs actually grow wings and fly and hell freezes over is when the big wigs will comply. In other words, no one should hold their breath because they'll kill over before the big wigs ever comply.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
And when the courts rule that they must comply and they refuse each and everyone of them can be impeached.

Just to add: I remember the day Bill Clinton was impeached. As someone who supported neither the Republicans nor Bill Clinton, I remember seeing the huge headlines in the old newspaper boxes "Clinton Impeached" and laughing. It all seemed surreal. And it was all pro-forma, just a partisan exercise in which Reps impeached and Dems acquitted and we all moved on.

I DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE LIKE THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information