• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nam vs. Messing

Thread starter #1

fsfann

Ratings
So... the announcement is happening in a couple of hours.

This is the only spot that I'm wondering about. Nam won the long, Messing won overall by a point.

Does anyone think they'll do a skate off at 4CC for the Olympic spot?

I think the rest of the spots are no brainers and that they'll go with the top 3.

Erin

Ratings
Nam put up a great fight in the long and it was great to see the old Nam back, but I think this one is also a no-brainer. Messing had the best non-Chan GP result of any of the men (5th at NHK, 5 spots ahead of Nam) and the highest season's best of any of the men at Autumn Classic where he also beat Nam. 4CC is too close to the Olympics to be making the decision. Keegan should get the nod.

I doubt Patrick will go to Worlds, so Nam should keep training hard for Worlds and will probably get to go to his second post-Olympic Worlds.

Last edited:

manhn

Ratings
If Nan can do well at 4cc, it could really set him up for a good Worlds. How impossible would two spots be for next Year?

pinky166

#teamtrainwreck #partyingwithbychenko
Ratings
If Nan can do well at 4cc, it could really set him up for a good Worlds. How impossible would two spots be for next Year?
They already have 2 spots. To keep them all that needs to happen is both guys making the FS and one of them making the top 12. If one doesn’t make the FS, the other needs to place top 10.

For 3 spots, they need combined placements that add up to 14 or less. So 6 & 7, 5 & 8, 4 & 9, etc. Given the field may be a little watered down, I think there’s a decent chance they could earn 3 spots. Keeping the 2 spots shouldn’t be an issue.

skateboy

Ratings
Does anyone think they'll do a skate off at 4CC for the Olympic spot?
Just curious... the idea of a skate off at 4CCs has been mentioned by a lot of posters, regarding various results from various nations. My question: how often has 4CC been used for this purpose, and by which countries?

(IIRC, I seem to remember Canada doing this one time, for the ladies.)

Japanfan

Ratings
I'm thrilled for Keegan. I thoroughly enjoyed his Chaplin - far more than Fernadez's Chaplin. He perfectly captured Chaplin's whimsy, and the joy with which he skated was infectious.

Proud to have him representing Canada - bet he never imagined that he'd be going to the Olympic games when he switched countries!

mtnskater

Ratings
Very excited to learn that honey badger (Keegan) is going to the Olympics for Canada!! I’ve always had a soft spot for him and have missed him at US Nationals the last couple of years. He’s always so entertaining. I wish Keegan good luck at the Olympics!

quartz

standing by the window, eyes upon the moon
Ratings
I've always liked Keegan too. Of all the guys who could have grabbed that second spot, he was the one I was rooting for the most.

essence_of_soy

Ratings
Keegan's short programs and free skates this season were art. This is what men's skating should be about, where the performance first is what draws you in.

Nam is a good technician (when he is on). But man, that cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow he uses for his short is just so awful, posturing and self - important. Yuck.

Japanfan

Ratings
Keegan's short programs and free skates this season were art. This is what men's skating should be about, where the performance first is what draws you in.

Nam is a good technician (when he is on). But man, that cover of Somewhere Over The Rainbow he uses for his short is just so awful, posturing and self - important. Yuck.
I don't think I'd be so charitable as to say that Keegan's programs were art. IMO 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' to Nam is on par with 'Singing in the Rain' for Keegan.

However, I do agree that Keegan draws the audience in with his performance. Both he and Nam are natural-born performers, but I think Keegan has matured better than Nam. And interestingly, Keegan's Chaplin is that only one that has ever passed muster for Mr. Japanfan, who is a Chaplin purist.

Both need to expand their range if they want to be Canada's two top men - especially with Gogolov (the seemingly already annointed 'next one') nipping at their heels.

I have more confidence in Keegan, because he's already taken the huge step of changing his country from the US to Canada, which paid off for him in spades. So, why not take the next step of trying out a different kind of program?

I just watched the Worlds gala, and Browning was commenting on Keegan's speed and personality. He's one of the skaters I always took note of during American nationals - I usually forget all the skaters except the top few.

It will be interesting to see what direction he goes in next season!

Last edited:
Ratings
Keegan Messing represents moral values and up-right living. His coach may have long womanly hair but they are both dedicated to bringing back masculine qualities to skating which is something that North America has been lacking in for too long, Ross Minor also tried but the FSUSA sent a message that they prefer "alternative lifestyle' Rippon.

Nam Nuyguyen skates to a terrible version of "The Rainbow Way Up High" it is the worst music used in the history of figure skating aside from when people use Barbarara Streisand, awful!

Next season Keegan will win Canadas Nationals and medal at World's, at least that is my hope and my wife's hope.

Japanfan

Ratings
Keegan Messing represents moral values and up-right living. His coach may have long womanly hair but they are both dedicated to bringing back masculine qualities to skating which is something that North America has been lacking in for too long, Ross Minor also tried but the FSUSA sent a message that they prefer "alternative lifestyle' Rippon.
Please! Sometimes you go too far in trying to be sarcastic, StasiyaGalusyanLove.

How do even know what Keegan's moral positions are, or how upright his lifestyle is?

Next season Keegan will win Canadas Nationals and medal at World's, at least that is my hope and my wife's hope.
I think he's got a good shot at the Canadian title. There are a few who might contend for it (i.e Nadeau), but I expect Keegan will use the momentum from this season to vault himself into a good competitive position next season. Choosing to skate for Canada worked out very well for him, and he'll want to build on that.

Also, not too much should be expected as of yet from Stephen Gogolov (seemingly annointed the 'next one'), who is only 14 I think?

Choosing to skate for Canada worked out very well for Keegan,

quartz

standing by the window, eyes upon the moon
Ratings
I would love to see Keegan win the next Canadian title, and hope he stays in for 2020 Montreal. Late Bloomers for the win!

RoseRed

Ratings
Please! Sometimes you go too far in trying to be sarcastic, StasiyaGalusyanLove.

How do even know what Keegan's moral positions are, or how upright his lifestyle is?

I think he's got a good shot at the Canadian title. There are a few who might contend for it (i.e Nadeau), but I expect Keegan will use the momentum from this season to vault himself into a good competitive position next season. Choosing to skate for Canada worked out very well for him, and he'll want to build on that.

Also, not too much should be expected as of yet from Stephen Gogolov (seemingly annointed the 'next one'), who is only 14 I think?

Stephen turned 13 in December, I believe. This will be his first season eligible for juniors.

Ratings

Something I have noticed since I joined this web sight is that it can be difficult to be sure exactly what is the tone in a person's posts, but I can sure you that nothing I would of ever posted here is sarcastic! My wife and I believe in sincerity in every aspect of life, actually this is something that I understand we may share with Keegan or at least with his coach Ralph.

If you go to Ralph's twitter sight it says this in the top left part of the page: "Seven Time Austrian National Figure Skating Champion, 1992 Winter Olympian, Olympic Figure Skating Coach, Christ follower and Husband To A Smokin' Hot Wife!"

These are the values I was eluding to.

If Nam has ever indicated he prescribes to similar moral codes I will support him allmost equally.

chantilly

Ratings
Gogolev also has a growth spurt in its way, so we will see. He’s one of the most promising skaters I’ve seen from Canada in a while. But I said that about Sadowsky too.
I’d love for Nic to pull it together, but not getting my hopes too high.
Love Messing. I’m concerned about his age and how he can increase technically in the next quad though.
But compared side by side with Nam is no contest to me. Messing is miles better in every quality of element and should be getting great PCS marks, much more than he has been.
Nam is incredibly sloppy in his spins, his footwork is average and he’s slow.
Live it was surprising how much better Messing is.

Japanfan

Ratings
If you go to Ralph's twitter sight it says this in the top left part of the page: "Seven Time Austrian National Figure Skating Champion, 1992 Winter Olympian, Olympic Figure Skating Coach, Christ follower and Husband To A Smokin' Hot Wife!"

These are the values I was eluding to.
I'm having trouble with your dual criteria of 'Christ Follower' and 'Husband to a Smokin' Hot wife".

But, I do think you are being sarcastic - this seems to be the case of most of your posts.

RoseRed

Ratings
Really?!
He was super tiny at Nationals. The crowd was chuckling about how much smaller then everybody else.
Well maybe not, but it seemed to me he was getting taller at least. I mean, not tall. I was reading on another board someone talking about how the Cricket Club was handling his growth.

chantilly

Ratings
I'm reminded of how little Laurent Tobel was at the 1988 World Junior Championships. A decade later, his height told a different story.
Oh I’m sure he’ll get taller. Just not sure when. I think Nam grew like 6 inches in a year or something and then grew more the season after that.
I was just confused with the post that said Stephen had grown a lot this season. Because as I said at Nationals he was tiny,

barbarafan

Ratings

Stephen G. turned 13 end December which means he is now able to compete Junior internationally. It might take a while to be consistent as he is shooting up quickly and so he is really being limited as to how much he jumps and sometimes is not allowed to jump for a few weeks due to growing pains. Apparently he still has all the quads but doing them one by one at practice and doing several of them at an exact point in a program when you are not training them hard is a bit of a magic trick but it would be nice if he competes when he has had a smooth patch but health is everything as it should be. In juniors this year I don't think they are allowed to do quads in the short. Even if he did beat all other seniors at nationals next year he would be staying home so not so much pressure on him or others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)