Michelle Kwan (Threads Merged)

GloriaW

To me, there is no reason to be speculating or entertaining notions that her objective is to return to "competition." My sense is that she is experiencing true love for her sport, equipped with her exceptional level of fitness which life and yoga have played helpful parts. I could definitely see her looking to perform and guest spots on Stars On Ice for instance would certainly help boost ticket sales. She is smart to also be capitalizing on this Olympic season. If I'm not mistaken, she got the Winter Olympics sponsorship from Proctor & Gamble (which has continued to really pull back from their whole sponsorship commitments).

livetoskate

What is she doing to us?
I wonder if she's training and gearing up for a big performance at the Olympics (like the opening ceremony??), or some upcoming ice show. Is she still working on the east coast or has she moved back to the LA area? No matter what the reason, it's inspiring to see skaters like Michelle keeping up her skating skills and enjoying skating as she nears the big 4-0.

bardtoob

The Kween's triple toe, she still has that amazing ride out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdTeSE6DPwT/?taken-by=michellewkwan

Hey! I've seen that 3T before, complete with the lean and somewhat swinging leg . . .

https://youtu.be/htevMS0Vnyc?t=235

:biggrinbo

Strong technique

That's for certain. Who else can use the exact same technique that she used at 12 years old to land a triple jump at 37 years old?!?

Hopefully somewhere Eteri is feverishly scribbling down notes!

Last edited:

millyskate

She’s remained true to herself and does this because she wants too. One thing for sure , she’s the last of the ladies with marvelous edge control and body line. That classic style. Rhythm of her body. Strong technique

In fairness, I can't remember any other skater having that kind of edge control back in the Kween's day either. It always made her stand out.

VGThuy

She’s remained true to herself and does this because she wants too. One thing for sure , she’s the last of the ladies with marvelous edge control and body line. That classic style. Rhythm of her body. Strong technique

That too. It’s everything from the preparation for the jump, the takeoff and landing.

You're absolutely right. There's so much to take from this, but I do think what really stands out in retrospect is that rhythm of her body. It's always been about her timing and the way she moved across the ice that really separated her, especially compared to watching skaters these days.

AYS

🌻
I know I'm just repeating points others are making, but I'm loving her little skating clips on social media. She is still just gorgeous to watch. When your skating and jumping was based on great technique when you were young and training all the time, it stays with you. :) <3 <3

I think her yoga has made her even stronger in ways (her upper body looks so strong these days) and perhaps more flexible than she was as an active competitor.

kwanette

Fetalized since 1998
I know I'm just repeating points others are making, but I'm loving her little skating clips on social media. She is still just gorgeous to watch. When your skating and jumping was based on great technique when you were young and training all the time, it stays with you. :) <3 <3

I think her yoga has made her even stronger in ways (her upper body looks so strong these days) and perhaps more flexible than she was as an active competitor.

You essentially said this to me in a bar in NYC after The Tribute Show back in 2001. That has always stuck with me.

Jun Y

I wonder if she's training and gearing up for a big performance at the Olympics (like the opening ceremony??), or some upcoming ice show. Is she still working on the east coast or has she moved back to the LA area? No matter what the reason, it's inspiring to see skaters like Michelle keeping up her skating skills and enjoying skating as she nears the big 4-0.

All the recent clips appear to be shot at the East Wast Ice Palace, which is in Southern California and owned by Danny Kwan IIRC. So she is back in CA at least for now. Is she teasing us for some big announcement?

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Even tho I can't access any of MK's Instagram clips, I'd enjoyed reading all the posts reacting to them. But these most recent ones were too much for me without seeing a bit of the Kween's skating, which I remedied by watching her 2009 "Winter Song" performance in Korea. It had it all: classic double axel ride out, 3T, cw and ccw camel spins, split falling leaf, spread eagles, Charlotte, and her trademark inside-outside spiral. And her gorgeous flow over the ice. :swoon:

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Even tho I can't access any of MK's Instagram clips, I'd enjoyed reading all the posts reacting to them. But these most recent ones were too much for me without seeing a bit of the Kween's skating, which I remedied by watching her 2009 "Winter Song" performance in Korea. It had it all: classic double axel ride out, 3T, cw and ccw camel spins, split falling leaf, spread eagles, Charlotte, and her trademark inside-outside spiral. And her gorgeous flow over the ice. :swoon:
I checked on YouTube for "Michelle Kwan Instagram" in case the clips got uploaded. None. But I did find this, which makes me think the world of the skating icon: Michelle and the Make A Wish Foundation.(If it has been shown already here, my apologies). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoW4oXaAT3o

bardtoob

Michelle has butt pads.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5nmsHDfvF/?hl=en&taken-by=michellewkwan

I wonder what she expects to do on the ice that would require those :kickass:

She said she fell on a few double axels and was very sore. I’m guessing that she is making herself more comfortable.

Which means she's going to try some more :smokin:

The Kween's triple toe, she still has that amazing ride out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdTeSE6DPwT/?taken-by=michellewkwan

Note: The Kween is wearing the butt pads :cool:

. . . You know you are in good shape when you can wear a tight outfit with pads that mimic thunder thighs and still look good :smokin: . . . :angryfire{{jealous}}:angryfire

Last edited:

kwanatic

Since they're doing all of the great moments in San Jose at these championships, maybe Michelle will show up at the gala and skate! :cheer2:#wishfulthinking

I wouldn't be surprised to see her skate in the gala in Pyeongchang either. She and Yuna might team up again and skate. That would be awesome!

Whether she's preparing for a show or just skating because she misses it, I don't care. It just joys my heart to see her out on the ice. Her COE spiral, Charlotte and split falling leaf still give me happy piddles. :biggrinbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information