Michael Cohen Testimony and Aftermath

Vagabond

Michael Cohen is scheduled to testify at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T. I will try to post links to live streams and live blogs.

In the meantime, you can read the text of his Opening Statement

I remember being in the room with Mr. Trump, probably in early June 2016, when something peculiar happened. Don Jr. came into the room and walked behind his father’s desk – which in itself was unusual. People didn’t just walk behind Mr. Trump’s desk to talk to him. I recalled Don Jr. leaning over to his father and speaking in a low voice, which I could clearly hear, and saying: “The meeting is all set.” I remember Mr. Trump saying, “Ok good…let me know.” What struck me as I looked back and thought about that exchange between Don Jr. and his father was, first, that Mr. Trump had frequently told me and others that his son Don Jr. had the worst judgment of anyone in the world. And also, that Don Jr. would never set up any meeting of any significance alone – and certainly not without checking with his father.

It all makes for light bedside reading if you're a Democrat here on the West Coast. :summer:

It might cause certain other people (You know who you are.) a bit of sleeplessness. :barrel

Last edited:

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Its not as if anything Cohen is going to say is a surprise to anyone.

But it is nice to see these things baldly put to Congress:

Donald Trump is a man who ran for office to make his brand great, not to make our country great. He had no desire or intention to lead this nation – only to market himself and to build his wealth and power.

Mr Trump would often say, this campaign was going to be the “greatest infomercial in political history.” He never expected to win the primary. He never expected to win the general election. The campaign – for him – was always a marketing opportunity.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...updates-hearing-payments-stormy-daniels-today

And yet, he became president despite this being as obvious as the nose on anyone's face.

In any case, Cohen could provide incontrovertible proof of everything on Trump and the Republican Party would NOT. DO. ANYTHING.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Its always reasonable to ask why someone who is a convicted liar should be believed. So the Republicans do have that.

OTOH, everyone knows that Cohen is telling the truth when he says of Trump, "He is a racist, he is a conman, he is a cheat."

Hence the agitated behavior of Republicans trying to discredit him.

It is sad to watch elected political representatives put their party ahead of our country.

caseyedwards

Testimony today
Impeachment tomorrow
Removal Friday
Pence president Saturday

All republicans in the senate will agree much better to have pence president rather than trump.

Vagabond

Its always reasonable to ask why someone who is a convicted liar should be believed. So the Republicans do have that.

OTOH, everyone knows that Cohen is telling the truth when he says of Trump, "He is a racist, he is a conman, he is a cheat."

It is sad to watch elected political representatives put their party ahead of our country.
The Republicans' problem here is that Cohen has pled guilty to lying to Congress in ways that helped Trump. If he had pled guilty to lying on some unrelated matter, it would be easier to question his honesty here. This may be a winner for the Republicans with those still in the Party, but probably not for those who have left or might be persuadable.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

The Republicans' problem here is that Cohen has pled guilty to lying to Congress in ways that helped Trump. If he had pled guilty on some unrelated matter, it would be easier to question his honesty here. This may be a winner for the Republicans with those still in the Party, but probably not for those who have left or might be persuadable.
So democrats should impeach. They will get all the independent voters support. And then senate republicans will have to save themselves and vote to remove trump. They will all lose general elections if they voted to save him.

Vagabond

Interesting point: Cohen has just been disbarred. Had he testified earlier this month, as originally planned, he would have been ethically obligated not to disclose privileged information and documents he received from his client, Donald Trump. Because he is testifying now, this obligation does not apply.

caseyedwards

Interesting point: Cohen has just been disbarred. Had he testified earlier this month, as originally planned, he would have been ethically obligated not to disclose privileged information and documents he received from his client, Donald Trump. Because he is testifying now, this obligation does not apply.
Yes. He can reveal all of trumps crimes and therefore democrats can impeach trump right after his testimony

ballettmaus

The Republicans' problem here is that Cohen has pled guilty to lying to Congress in ways that helped Trump. If he had pled guilty to lying on some unrelated matter, it would be easier to question his honesty here. This may be a winner for the Republicans with those still in the Party, but probably not for those who have left or might be persuadable.

Plus, he already pled guilty to lying to Congress. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would lie to Congress again.

It Kind of feels good to hear him say it out loud but at the same time, it's worth so little because no one is going to do anything.

From a journalist. CNN's Brian Stelter agreed.
Incredible to see all the hubris drained from Cohen. I've been personally screamed at by Cohen on the phone before and know how much bravado he once had. This is a man with nothing left, with no reason to lie or obfuscate at all. Humbling, in its way.
https://twitter.com/vermontgmg/status/1100787323640397824

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Three A's, T&M, P&C

A judge who was interviewed on msnbc a few weeks ago said that there are people who have lied but they go through a transformation of some kind (like realizing they had done wrong) and they do tell the truth after that.

Cohen has already been convicted. He gains nothing by lying at this point. I tend to believe that his blind devotion to Trump got him in trouble. We know he is not the only one. Cohen seems to be clear in which lies were meant to protect Trump and which ones were not.

That Jordan guy was attacking him like his word was worth nothing. How can the republicans believe Trump’s lies which are almost daily but feel that when others lie it is wrong?

Cohen replied Yes to one question - will Trump do anything to win? We all know he will. That is why I don’t feel optimistic about 2020.

It seems the republicans will do anything to protect Trump. They are not interested in the truth or in their country which they are supposed to serve.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It seems the republicans will do anything to protect Trump. They are not interested in the truth or in their country which they are supposed to serve.

Lindsay Graham stated it baldly in an interview when asked how he could have gone from such a critic of Trump's to backing Trump in everyway: Graham answered that he wants to be re-elected.

And nothing else matters to these Republicans than that calculation. It is a very sad day for this country.

quartz

almost, but not quite
I can't watch as I am work, so any little sound bites would be appreciated!

ballettmaus

That Jordan guy was attacking him like his word was worth nothing. How can the republicans believe Trump’s lies which are almost daily but feel that when others lie it is wrong?

They probably don't believe that. But it's party over everything for guys like him.

Vash01

I can’t bear to watch these ‘political attack’ hearings for long, so I tried to switch to CBS but they too are showing this instead of the regular show (TPIR).

Jordan was putting words in Cohen’s mouth. At one point Cohen said “that’s not what I said...Shame on you Mr. Jordan”. That last part could hurt him.

I think the committee won’t be able to draw any conclusions because we know the republicans are not interested in the truth. They are warriors appointed to protect Trump. I am afraid they will do that to Mueller also, no matter what the evidence says.

Vash01

They probably don't believe that. But it's party over everything for guys like him.

He kept referring to Cohen as “a convicted felon”. I would just love to see Trump’s whole army of republicans in orange jump suits. They are earning it. Some have already earned it.

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
The Republicans' problem here is that Cohen has pled guilty to lying to Congress in ways that helped Trump.

This. So this.

Mr. Cohen also offered copies of letters he said he wrote “at Mr. Trump’s direction” threatening his high school, colleges and the College Board not to release his grades or SAT scores.

I am pretty much completely indifferent to grades and SAT scores and don't think they mean much, but now I want to see Trump's. It's like his tax returns; I don't really care, but if you're making such an issue of hiding them......

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Oh, my Congressional rep

Democrat Eleanor Norton brings up the Access Hollywood video where Donald Trump said his fame entitled him to “grab [women] by the pussy”.

Cohen says he was part of the effort to tamp down the furore over Trump’s statements.

Norton segues from the video to the alleged Karen MacDougal affair with Trump. She discusses the ‘catch and kill’ effort with the National Enquirer to suppress McDougall’s claim.

Vash01

This. So this.

Mr. Cohen also offered copies of letters he said he wrote “at Mr. Trump’s direction” threatening his high school, colleges and the College Board not to release his grades or SAT scores.

I am pretty much completely indifferent to grades and SAT scores and don't think they mean much, but now I want to see Trump's. It's like his tax returns; I don't really care, but if you're making such an issue of hiding them......

I don’t really care what grades Trump got in school, but once again the liar and bully is seen. Trump is the guy who claimed that Obama’s transcripts from Harvard are fake. The disgust I feel for this liar has no bounds, just like his evilness has no bounds.

ballettmaus

I don’t really care what grades Trump got in school, but once again the liar and bully is seen. Trump is the guy who claimed that Obama’s transcripts from Harvard are fake. The disgust I feel for this liar has no bounds, just like his evilness has no bounds.

Has there been anything that he has alleged other do that he hasn't done himself? The only thing I can think of is that he is born in the US. But other than that...

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
Apparently, Fordham University confirmed Cohen's testimony (link includes a statement from their spokesperson) https://twitter.com/TasneemN/status/1100796244631400448

I don't think anyone doubted it. I find it hilarious that they saw the need to make the threat in the first place. As Fordham says, it is illegal to release grades to anyone other than the student. No university would do it whether there was a threatening letter or not.

I would say that they were freaking out because Trump has a terrible record, but it's equally likely that no one bothered to actually check the law first because none of these people seem to be too inclined to think the law matters. Or both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information