Member of US gymnastics team tests positive

Vagabond

@Hedwig Please put links like that through www.tinyurl.com so that the rest of us can follow them.

The gymnast, who authorities did not publicly identify, tested positive while training for the games in Narita, about 35 miles east of Tokyo, according to city officials. She is between the age of 10 and 19. A statement from USA Gymnastics said the athlete tested positive on Sunday and she and another alternate member of the team were quarantined.

Last edited:

FiveRinger

If it is Kara, my understanding is that the alternates are separate from the rest of the team.

I feel so bad for her. To be dealing with this in a foreign country away from your family has got to be devastating.

FiveRinger

Ok....now isn't the really time for finger-pointing, but it kind of is. Why were the alternates training with the core team? And why, Tom Forster, did you not send that 5th alternate? Why is he even the team coordinator?

honey

Yup…the extent that the alternates were “separate”, seems extremely questionable.

Just looking at this picture, the alternates are clearly training with the main team, standing about 3 feet away :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/gadirovastan/status/1416479058137911296?s=21

I feel horrible for Kara as I imagine quarantining in a foreign country all by yourself has to be tough. Also expecting she won’t be the last from the USA gymnastics delegation.

Last edited:

skatfan

Ok....now isn't the really time for finger-pointing, but it kind of is. Why were the alternates training with the core team? And why, Tom Forster, did you not send that 5th alternate? Why is he even the team coordinator?
That is the plan provided by the LOC. Only other option was to be off island which meant alternates couldn’t arrive in time to substitute. All other countries doing the same thing.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I haven’t wanted to post my fears about YKW and the US gymnasts, but now that a member has tested positive so early, my mood is even more pessimistic. :( Hoping I am wrong and the team beats the odds and makes it to the actual competition.

love skating

Clueless American
Wishing the best for Kara first of all. Since she said she's been vaccinated hopefully it will be mild at best. This is terrifying for the team though and I will be a bundle of nerves now not only worried about the team hitting their routines or suffering injury but now waiting for the test results each day. Sadly I think this is only the beginning of the positive tests at the Olympics. I wonder if some sports will be decimated. I think of the team sports mostly, especially those that are contact sports. What if by the medal rounds there are no teams left with enough players? Yikes. Hopefully athletes will take more caution and avoid contact at least to the best of their ability. If I was at the Olympics I would not be getting near anyone I didn't absolutely have to be near. Anyway fingers crossed for Team USA and for all of the Olympics!

BittyBug

The missing ingredient
Vogue tweeted about 6 hours ago (I just now saw it) that the whole US WAG team is in isolation!

The tweet links to an article that does not say anything about the entire team being quarantined, and since no other new sources has made that claim, I think we should rely on what has been widely reported - only two alternates are in isolation.

And now I need Biles and Lee to be bubble wrapped with negative air flow until the start of the event.

Doggygirl

The tweet links to an article that does not say anything about the entire team being quarantined, and since no other new sources has made that claim, I think we should rely on what has been widely reported - only two alternates are in isolation.

And now I need Biles and Lee to be bubble wrapped with negative air flow until the start of the event.
I hope you are correct!

Lynn226

Unfortunately, I think this will be the norm for all sports and countries. Must be scary to be so far from loved ones at this time. Perhaps we could have a thread just for positive cases at the Olympics.

DreamSkates

I just hope the team members chose to each be vaccinated. If not....!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think vaccines came at an inconvenient time for the Summer athletes. They had to decide if the possible downtime was manageable within their training schedule. I can see not wanting to lose a week a few months before your big event. Of course, for most, it would be a day and they could time it with a recovery day. So I think the athletes that didn't get vaccinated probably were extremely risk-averse or had bad info.

A lot of winter athletes already take time off in the summer (or Spring depending on the sport) and could get vaccinated then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information