Masks, Shields and other protection

Spikefan

A while ago, I bought a 1oz bottle of purell which came with a holder that attached to a keychain. The bottle is running out and the other hand sanitizers I have don’t fit the holder.

Anyone have recos for something similar?
I bought the crossbody linked below and instead of carrying water in it I carry my 10 oz pump Purcell where the water would go. It holds my phone a chapstick and cards. The pump is right there for easy access.

My new ********* purse

million$momma

A while ago, I bought a 1oz bottle of purell which came with a holder that attached to a keychain. The bottle is running out and the other hand sanitizers I have don’t fit the holder.

Could you not just refill it from a larger bottle?

sk8pics

Don’t under any circumstances order masks from Wear The Shield. I saw it on Facebook and they looked very comfortable, with nice ear loops that are adjustable. I ordered.... no masks.... no shipping. I emailed, they said, Oh it was out of stock, we’re very sorry, your order will be processed and shipped in 24 hours. No masks, no shipping notice. I wrote them again and said I would cancel my order if it wasn’t shipped by Friday (this was on Monday) and they wrote back, Oh we’re sorry, we’re expediting your order. Nothing. Told them to cancel my order and at least they did that. :rolleyes: I was half expecting to have to contest it with my credit card.

ETA: This all went on for about 2 1/2 weeks. They refunded my order the day after I told them to cancel it, so in spite of them saying they would expedite the order, they still had not even got to the point of processing it for shipping. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

KCC

I can't understand why wearing a mask correctly is still, after ~6 months of encouraging people to wear them, so difficult for some people. I see so many people in the grocery stores, primarily older men (but some older women and a lesser number from other ages) who seem oblivious to the fact that their nose is completely sticking out of their mask. There is an equally large number of people whose mask is balanced right at the tip of their nose with a large gap above their nostrils and open again at their cheeks. That little metal-bendy piece that goes along the bridge of the nose is often not even bent. Would it help at all if we just hung mirrors around the grocery store so that people can check their masks?

jeffisjeff

The mask dicknose irritates me more than someone not wearing a mask for some reason.

Me too and it is because I take as a big FU to the rest of us. Typically, the person doing it knows that masks are required and knows how to wear one properly. The fact that their nose is hanging out is done intentionally to make a (stupid, dangerous and disrespectful) point.

million$momma

I was at Walmart yesterday and overheard a hilarious conversation.

There were 2 younger men (in their 20s) shopping without masks on (you must wear masks when indoors here and this has been in place for months). There was a mom pushing a cart with a masked child (around 4 years old) sitting in it. The conversation went like this,

"Mom, those people forgot their masks."
Shhhhhhhhh.....
"Mom, don't they know about getting people sick?"
Shhhhhhhhh.....
"Mom, they should go home and get a mask!"
Shhhhhhhhh.....
"People look silly when they don't wear a mask. His face looks naked!!" (giggles)
Shhhhhhhhhh.....
"Maybe we should buy them a mask."

This kid went on and on in that loud clear voice that kids have and the mom had a bright red face and was shopping as fast as she could. People who were shopping nearby couldn't help smiling and the 2 men hurried off empty handed, tail between their legs. :)

sk8pics

I ordered masks from Bioskin. The fabric is super comfortable. The nose piece does not work with my glasses, like most of them. I can wear it upside down, I think, with my glasses holding the top edge in place. Yay!

AJ Skatefan

Can you take the lid off and refill it?

Yehudi

I speak the bull****
Now that we have lived with the crud for awhile how many masks do you own?
I have about 20 KN95s which I only would use for plane travel, 5 cloth masks I use for day to day activity (shopping) and a neck gaiter for the park

million$momma

I have about 20 KN95s which I only would use for plane travel, 5 cloth masks I use for day to day activity (shopping) and a neck gaiter for the park
Each person in my family has a dozen cloth masks. I am also supplied with medical masks and a face shield that I am required use at work.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I have three cloth masks and three N95s (which are what remains from some I bought 5 or 6 years ago).

MacMadame

Staying at home
9 cloth masks, 3 surgical masks (which I reuse even though you aren't supposed to), a neck gaiter, and 2 buffs (which I guess are technically neck gaiters?)

Susan1

Two cloth masks (one my cousin brought me back in April <reversible, two different materials, that someone at his church made> and the one I bought at CVS) and however many surgical masks from the box of 50 are left. I only wear them no more than an hour at a time <not even that, counting taking them off in the car between the library and the store, etc., so I have not disposed of the ones I've worn. I just keep them in a different bag. I wore the black and pink one I got from CVS today. Now that it is getting cooler, it will be easier to wear. They had a whole end rack full of them. And I've seen tons of them and the surgical ones everywhere. (Not the N95s, obviously.)

Parsley Sage

I have 6 fabric masks and 2 disposable masks that have been worn for about an hour each. My hairdresser gives me a disposable mask every time I go and as I only wear them for about 45 minutes to an hour, I set them aside for future use.

Susan1

I have 6 fabric masks and 2 disposable masks that have been worn for about an hour each. My hairdresser gives me a disposable mask every time I go and as I only wear them for about 45 minutes to an hour, I set them aside for future use.
When I was getting my hold books off the shelf at the library yesterday, a guy came in and took a mask from the table. I thought - you wouldn't have to buy masks, just go places where they give you one and take them home.

MacMadame

Staying at home
When I was getting my hold books off the shelf at the library yesterday, a guy came in and took a mask from the table. I thought - you wouldn't have to buy masks, just go places where they give you one and take them home.
True. I have many, many masks that I didn't pay for.

One given to me by a friend (Thanks, @taf2002), 2 given to me by my daughter, 2 by my company (1 mask, 1 neck gaiter), 1 by the Blood Bank, 2 by Zoot as part of another order (so in a way I did pay for them :lol:), plus the 3 surgical masks that my medical group gave at my 3 different visits. (And another 5 surgical masks that a local senior group gave everyone in the complex that I just discovered. :eek: )

I've only bought 3 masks. 2 from Lorri Kim's kid (who remembers Lorri Kim?) and 1 from the Animal Rescue Site. All were fundraisers.

Japanfan

I have one cloths mask made by one of Mr. Japanfan's co-workers.

I think there might be an N-95 around and we have a box of gloves.

I don't really go many places. I don't wear one in the stores I go to - masks are not mandatory here and I shop at quiet times, don't come within 6 feet of anyone. All the cashiers are behind plexiglass, of course.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I have five masks, all of them I bought. I must be moving in the wrong places, because no one offered me any free mask. I don’t go to a library, I didn’t need to use hospital since the ***** came and in shops they expect you to bring your own mask... don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining because the price of masks is not a problem for me. I just wanted to point out that what has been your experience does not necessarily be the same for other people.

Susan1

I have five masks, all of them I bought. I must be moving in the wrong places, because no one offered me any free mask. I don’t go to a library, I didn’t need to use hospital since the ***** came and in shops they expect you to bring your own mask... don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining because the price of masks is not a problem for me. I just wanted to point out that what has been your experience does not necessarily be the same for other people.
They had them at Menard's when I went to get a furnace filter (while wearing my mask) back in September.

attyfan

My husband and I share 14 cloth masks, 6 KN-95s and 2 N-95s, which we saved from the Thomas Fire. We bought the KN-95s in case we needed them during wildfire season because N95s are largely unavailable, being saved for medical personnel.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
8 gaiters that I use for up/down situations like taking a walk or playing golf. About a dozen cloth masks for indoors. I need at least 3 more colors as I don’t feel tiffed unless the mask matches my outfit.

BTW, the Betsy Johnson masks sold in Marshall’s/TJ Maxx are for people with short faces. They’re cute, but don’t fit me.

LadyM76

I have a whole bunch of cloth masks and a package of disposables. I ride the bus to and from work, and they give out masks for free. My daughters schools also gives out cloth masks with every box of food they deliver every week. I like being able to wear a clean one every time, and then just wash a bunch at the same time. I am saving the disposable ones for if/when we get colds or anything else this winter.

Parsley Sage

The only place I've received a free mask is at my hairdressers. I think the local CFL team sent free masks to their season ticket holders even though the season was cancelled.

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
I have a wardrobe of five cloth masks, all purchased (2 were by donation). One in the wash, one in the car, two in my purse and one hanging on the doorknob. I also have a basket with disposable masks and latex gloves at the front door.

Two of the cloth masks have Van Gogh paintings printed on them. Starry Night and Sunflowers. One mask is all tulips. I get lots of compliments on my masks and they make me smile (except no one can see that!)

I only need masks when I go into a store or other indoor facility. When I voted yesterday I wore my plain white cloth mask.

KCC

I have 16 cloth masks and about 20 disposable masks left. The cheap disposables that I bought take a lot of fuss to make a decent seal on my face, so I don't use them much - masks that gape at the sides or under the chin don't really offer much protection.

I have 3 kinds of 3-layer (plus pocket) cloth masks, are "shaped" to fit my snugly on the sides, over my nose and below my chin. Two are made by KEEN and the outer layer is made from a heavier, canvas-type fabric, so I'll use them over winter. Five are a nice, dense-weave cotton in a simple print. The others have a polyester outer layer and two cotton inner layers of varying prints - a few dragonflies, one has pretty fall colors, one for Christmas, one with stars, etc. (I also have one with a husky dog face, but it is too flimsy to do much good.) I like to mix up what I wear day to day. 80% of my wear is while dog-walking or outdoor exercise, 20% is stores, doctor offices, etc. I hang them on a necklace chain so the face fabric is not handled a lot when putting them off and on, but there is still a lot of touching the ear loops and tightening down the nose pieces. I like wearing fresh ones and wash at least 3 masks/week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information