Masks, Shields and other protection

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yep, 10000% this. The second we come home, it comes off and goes into the mesh laundry bag, which prevents the ties/elastics from getting tangled up or damaged in the wash. We each have about 12 to prolong their use.
I think I have about 15 now, but the quality isn't the same. I'm now selective of where I buy.

LadyM76

I wash my masks by hand in the sink. I use a little bit of bleach or dish soap in really hot water. Our bus system has masks available for free. They are super comfortable and I really like them.

once_upon

Voter
I want to order more, but we go so few places. If I wore one every day all day I "could" justify buying more. But I have 8. Only 3 are fun designs though.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I have 5. And I rarely leave the house two days in a row.

This means I have no habit of mask-wearing so I'm always leaving the house without one and then having to go back to get it. :D

rosewood

MTT Meter= 165, has drawn 320K, restarted- 15 Aug
This one ('mask holder' ?) looks nice.
Checked on amazon (I've never used it).

puglover

Masks are not mandatory here but when I went into the city this past week they were everywhere. Most shoppers at Walmart and Lowes were wearing them and all beauticians and customers at the nail salon I went to had one on and seemed comfortable and talkative. I still have a number of friends on facebook that are so riled up about it and defiant. My husband is a dentist and for the first number of years he was in practice they did not wear gloves or masks. In fact, they referred to those working in the mouth proudly as "wet fingered dentists". That all changed when AIDS came along and although there were very few actual cases of AIDs here, all dentists started working with gloves and masks. My husband remembers thinking he would never get used to it - but of course he quickly did and wouldn't dream of touching a patient without gloves, not out of worry so much for that one illness but as a protection for his patients, his family and himself from any secretion borne illness. I hope much of this resistance is a phase and even if they find a vaccine that we become a more responsible society by staying home when we are sick and wearing a mask when we are in close contact, etc.

spinZZ

This is an important article. Here is the actual Duke University study summarized by the Washington Post: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.

Key takeaway: Since we need to reserve medical-grade respirators and masks (still in short supply) for medical-care workers (and other professionals who need them for their work), the general public up to now has been advised by various government officials to wear face coverings of some sort, with the rationale along the lines of, "They may not be as effective as we would like; but, under the current supply limitations, any face covering is better than no face covering at all. At the very least, they do no harm." Now it turns out that some face coverings are worse than no face coverings at all (under some scenarios); some face coverings do do harm (under some scenarios). We really do need more guidance on proper face coverings.

Last edited:

KCC

I've been seeing more and more people wearing disposable masks that are dirty, sweat-stained, stretched out/gaping or otherwise showing signs of being worn out. Yuck! I'm concerned that people will get sick and start to blame their masks.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Is there any recent data on face shields? My friend was saying that the today show was saying recently that they are just as good as masks which seems like... the opposite of what we have been seeing.

My husband is 6’2” and a pretty strong dude. He can come across as physically intimidating just because of his size. He’s convinced that when he isn’t with the kids and is wearing a plain black mask that people are less friendly and generally more cautious around him than he’s used to. I’m getting a friend to make him a mask in a fun print because it really bothers him. I’m not entirely convinced that it’s a real phenomenon but he’s pretty sure it is. I’m curious if anyone else has had similar experiences. Or just generally noticed being treated differently depending on what kind of mask you wear.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
Can anyone recommend a reputable online supplier that is not Amazon/Walmart/[insert big box retailer here] from where I can pick up face shields?

Last edited:

Spikefan

Can anyone recommend a reputable online supplier that is not Amazon/Walmart/[insert big box retailer here] from where I can pick up face shields?
This local company in KC does and sells single units:

There are downloadable plans from this company to make your own if you have the equipment or know someone who does (I do not):

Last edited:

once_upon

Voter
My husband is 6’2” and a pretty strong dude. He can come across as physically intimidating just because of his size. He’s convinced that when he isn’t with the kids and is wearing a plain black mask that people are less friendly and generally more cautious around him than he’s used to. I’m getting a friend to make him a mask in a fun print because it really bothers him. I’m not entirely convinced that it’s a real phenomenon but he’s pretty sure it is. I’m curious if anyone else has had similar experiences. Or just generally noticed being treated differently depending on what kind of mask you wear.
Based upon the stupid remarks I read on the local police scanner Facebook page, people seem to be fearful of black masks. Like everyone who wears a black mask in stores, banks, and othe places of business will be committing a crime.

Yehudi

I speak the bull****
A while ago, I bought a 1oz bottle of purell which came with a holder that attached to a keychain. The bottle is running out and the other hand sanitizers I have don’t fit the holder.

Anyone have recos for something similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information