Masks, Shields and other protection

Spikefan

Has anyone found masks with cloth or cloth-covered ear loops (instead of elastic)?
I bought this one in white and it is comfortable and feels cooler in the heat. The only downside is there is no pocket for a filter. I have a 5 pack on the way from Athleta, once I receive them I will report back.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
Today, my roommate's girlfriend and I drove to a favorite Vietnamese restaurant to pick up our takeout. I was wearing a white gaiter. When the nice (masked) young man brought the food out to the car, he said that because our order was over $50, we'd get a free mask, and that they had different colors, or white. I said white would be great. Then he said, we have Seahawks masks! (Seattle NFL team). I said, white would be great. He came back to the car and said, "We have ones with flowers, too!" I said, white would be great, thanks, :lol:

So our household has a nice white (washable) mask sealed in a plastic pouch :)

Last edited:

antmanb

Mandatory masks when you're inside started in England on Friday. I honestly don't know why they made the announcement weeks ago and didn't bring it in immediately. On Thursday i'd say that maybe 10-15% of people inside would wear masks. On Friday I went to the supermarket and it was probably more like 90%.

I've never thought I have a particularly big head or face but I can't find any cloth masks that don't pull my ears out and practically forward. I ordered a three pack of the adidas masks that I've had recommended to me by a number of people - I ordered the biggest size and they're wearable but still pull on my ears. The more medical looking ones are the only comfortable ones and Mr Antmanb has a big box of them so I think i'll be wearing those.

MacMadame

Staying at home
What about the ones with ties? YOu can make the ear loop as big as you want.

I have the opposite problem because I have a small head. So sometimes I buy the kid sizes.

Lorac

Masked couple challenged ... for swastika masks:

And what is even more mind boggling is that that the woman wearing the mask stated she just wanted to show what would happen if people voted Biden in November - they would be living in Nazi Germany :eek:.Where in fact voting 45 in for another 4 years is more likely to send the US into a regime run by a dictator!!! The couple need to re-check their understanding of the history of WWII

MacMadame

Staying at home
And what is even more mind boggling is that that the woman wearing the mask stated she just wanted to show what would happen if people voted Biden in November - they would be living in Nazi Germany :eek:.Where in fact voting 45 in for another 4 years is more likely to send the US into a regime run by a dictator!!! The couple need to re-check their understanding of the history of WWII
It's not based on logic or reality. It's based on years of demonizing "liberals."

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
This mask has gotten the best responses--I get so many smiles and laughs and compliments, including an occasional squeal from across a room. I wasn't expecting it to work well because the mask doesn't look like it fits well in the picture, but it fits me perfectly, doesn't hurt my ears, has a soft cotton liner, and is really comfortable.

It's too small for my husband, but what mask isn't?

KCC

This mask has gotten the best responses--I get so many smiles and laughs and compliments, including an occasional squeal from across a room. I wasn't expecting it to work well because the mask doesn't look like it fits well in the picture, but it fits me perfectly, doesn't hurt my ears, has a soft cotton liner, and is really comfortable.
I have the same one (actually bought two) with a husky face, but mine is single-ply and some kind of poly blend. I wear it when I'm outside, walking my dog or to places where I'd have very limited or distanced contact with others. Mine didn't come with a nose piece, so I sewed a wire into one mask and for the other, I just adjust the mask under my sunglasses. If I'm going to have extended contact like in a store or a medical office, then I wear something more substantial and better fitting. I agree, the doggie masks do make people smile, especially when I'm walking with Shasta.

clairecloutier

In case anyone's looking, I found another vendor who sells masks with soft cotton loops:

These masks got the thumbs-up from my kids, who seem to be very sensitive to elastic around their ears.

They're like T-shirt fabric. Probably not the best for super-hot days, but fine for other kinds of weather.

KCC

I'm experimenting with using a chain made for reading glasses (like librarians might wear) to hold a mask while I walk or exercise outdoors. This way I can don it quickly when others get close and remove it for the long stretches between seeing anyone else, but I don't have to handle/hold/touch the mask much. It is too hot to keep it on the whole time I'm outside and I really only near other people for less than 2 minutes total out of an hour. Does anyone else have a system that works well when the mask comes off & on frequently?

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I have the same one (actually bought two) with a husky face, but mine is single-ply and some kind of poly blend..
That sounds ilke this one, which is funny but pretty much useless as a mask.

I'm experimenting with using a chain made for reading glasses (like librarians might wear) to hold a mask while I walk or exercise outdoors. This way I can don it quickly when others get close and remove it for the long stretches between seeing anyone else, but I don't have to handle/hold/touch the mask much. It is too hot to keep it on the whole time I'm outside and I really only near other people for less than 2 minutes total out of an hour. Does anyone else have a system that works well when the mask comes off & on frequently?
Letting it dangle off one ear doesn't work well, but is about all I've got.

I saw some people the other day who were wearing masks that attached to their glasses--they had little sleeves for the temples. At first, I thought this would be a good solution to the ear loop irritation issues, but then I thought about what a pain it would be to take the mask off--you'd always have to take your glasses off to do it.

It is interesting to see how masks are evolving.

KCC

Ya, that husky mask is pretty thin, which is why I only wear it as a little extra when I'm outdoors and mostly distancing (except while passing a walker/runner/biker). It is definitely not enough if I'm holding a conversation with someone. It is probably about the same level of protection as those thin, loose neck gaiters that people pull up over their nose - I have some of those, but need to tighten them with a safety pin because I have a small head.

I don't really like the mask "dangling" because they flop around in the slightest breeze. I considered attaching it to my sunglasses, but that means the mask would be on my face the entire time I'm out, which might work in the fall/winter but is uncomfortable in this heat. My chains for reading glasses might work out if I keep playing with the length -- it will take some experimentation.

MacMadame

Staying at home
Does anyone else have a system that works well when the mask comes off & on frequently?
I just leave it on. I tried the on/off thing and it was just too stressful. I have one made to exercise in and it's not thick enough for indoors or other more dangerous situations but it's fine for passing people while out running or biking.

MacMadame

Staying at home
For @Prancer's husband??

Also I find all the masks that are a face to be really creepy.

once_upon

Voter
I was scrolling through Facebook and ran across a video by Stacey London (of What Not To Wear fame), talking about fashion and masks. I stupidly clicked on comments. I cannot believe how stupid the mask deniers are.

The ones that really disgust me are the ones who did a copy/paste of someone's PubMed search of key words and grab a title that somehow "proves" their point. One study that "proves how ineffective and germ filled cloth coverings are" is a study done in a Healthcare facility in Vietnam comparing efficacy of medical grade masks vs cloth masks in a hospital. I assume the study was undertaken to determine if cloth masks in a hospital would be as effective and replace PPE. Not for general population use in a ********* but hospital, and they do filter out some bacteria/*****.

The title does not prove their claim.

The same idiot linked an NIH article that said zinc is essential in immune defense. I am 99% sure they could not have read it. It is very, very technical. It said a zinc deficiency is extremely hard to diagnose and a bunch of stuff about T cells, vegan or vegetarian diets are often deficient in zinc, potential diseases that might improve with adequate zinc levels, something about HIV but I couldn't determine if zinc therapy helps.

I started to write a response...it doesn't say what you think it does. Wear a mask. But that was going to be a waste of space.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
I thread my mask with a long cheap silver chain, then slip the chain over my head. The mask is right there when I need it and when I don't, I take it off and it dangles from the chain.

When I get home I detach the chain, keeping it in the car, remove the mask and plop it in the washing machine.

My system is so easy I'm always surprised other people haven't figured it out.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I've ordered my first cute gaiter (as opposed to the plain black and white ones I already have), and it has already shipped and is on its way. :cheer2: Even though it's a Twin Peaks theme, and never in the history of my living here has anyone ever noticed my Twin Peaks themed T-shirts, I live in eternal hope that someday someone will say, "Hey, Twin Peaks!" :lol:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I prefer the masks that are more like surgical masks, the ones that are pleated, especially with a bit of metal on the nose. Does anyone have a store/etsy shop that makes these that they like? It seems like most of the links people have posted have been for the other kind.

MacMadame

Staying at home
I prefer the masks that are more like surgical masks, the ones that are pleated, especially with a bit of metal on the nose. Does anyone have a store/etsy shop that makes these that they like? It seems like most of the links people have posted have been for the other kind.
I like them too.

I posted this on the first page (so buried):

rfisher

Let the skating begin
My brother and SIL saw a woman yesterday whose mask was coordinated with her dress and shoes. It's the newest fashion accessory.

once_upon

Voter
I believe Katie Tur has color coordinated ones as well as Kerry Sanders. I like to see them when they are on assignment just to see which ones they might have on.

Susan1

A couple months ago (I have no idea of time anymore), I got a box of 50 at Walgreen's. I only go out maybe an hour 2-3 times a week, so I have been alternating between three of them. Who knows how long we will have to be wearing them. They also had boxes of them at the checkout at Office Depot back then - surgical, black ones, and something else. Maybe they restock.

My Kroger has a bunch of different bins and racks of different kinds - cloth, surgical, in between (and gloves). I don't know - I just glance at them walking by. They put the pretty cloth ones that were hanging on hooks in a bin in the cart area now. I'd have to dig and paw through all of them to find the right color, and I don't want to do that. I keep wondering if anybody is just grabbing them on the way out instead of paying $3.99. The surgical blue goes with everything though. ha ha

Back when I was watching some of the cornhole games, one guy had on a mask that looked like a real scary face - like a Metallica or Judas Priest album cover or something (it wasn't, but that's what it made me think of :) ). It was creepy.

Susan1

p.s. they just had a whole rack of different kinds of masks at Meijer - at the corner before the cash registers. The cloth kind they had at Kroger - also $3.99; packs of 10 blue ones - I forget exactly the price, but I was thinking, that's more than $1/each. The ones at OD were $39.99 for 50 and the ones I got at Walgreen's were $34.99 (70 cents each).

Susan1

I just copied this to post it because I keep seeing snippets on the news and then forgetting to watch.

This is on my local (Ohio) t.v. news page -

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information