Masks, Shields and other protection

Yazmeen

Shake it then, shake it now, shake it forever
I have bought several of the ear elastic masks from this source - they are a bit pricey at $15 each, but they are double-layered cotton, and she provides a pattern for cutting out a filter between the layers. They wash and hold up extremely well. I see her at the Wrightstown Farmers Market every week, and she has more patterns there than offered online. I'm sharing this mainly for the kids' masks. https://www.theprettymasks.com/

MacMadame

Staying at home
Because he's a 7 year old at heart, once he thought he was wearing a cool mask, it shut him the hell up. :lol:
That's why I think the masks that say "I'm keeping _____ safe" where ____ is someone conservatives care about will really help.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Arghhhh, just today one of my faculty said she didn't think masks helped anything. Then I asked her why we wore masks in surgery and when entering an isolation patient's room or around someone who was immunocompromised? She's worked in health care over 20 years and knows exactly why we do all of those things. I get people who don't work in health care, but come on. Those of us who do know exactly what the purpose is.

Susan1

I tie mine once and then keep them tied. Sometimes the ties come undone in the washer/dryer but mostly they stay tied.
Do you just pull it over your head? How does it stay on? Anything I tied behind my head would just slide down. I have thin hair. And it would probably be more sweaty that way too.

Susan1

Oh, I tied the loops to go over my ears. If they go behind my head, they move around too much.
So, you tied the top to the bottom on each side, like the are the elastic loops on the disposable kind? Sorry - I don't even have anything to practice with. I have $3 worth of coupons from Instant Breakfast to use on anything in Kroger. I was thinking of using them for a mask, but I can't take it back if it doesn't work. And I usually use them for strawberry kids body wash (doesn't bother my nose, and it's only $1.99) or good bendy straws that they only have at Kroger (the skinny kind they have everywhere drip out of the top). Stress and heat/humidity TMI. :) Which is different than my usual "why write a sentence when a paragraph will do", huh?

Prancer

Demonic Chihuahua
Staff member
I purchased some masks from this eBay store and so far, they are the best masks yet. The fabric is very nice, eveything is sewn really well, and the loops are softer than elastic strips but still stretchy. They are pretty big and sometimes get a little too close to my eyes, but otherwise, my favorites to date.

Susan1

Yes! I never even though of doing it another way so now I feel a bit stupid. :D

I like your way. With the ties, I think of Grey's Anatomy and every other medical show, where they put it on and tie it behind their head and then tie the bottom ones behind the neck while they are standing at the scrub sink. Or is it the other way around? Not while they are sitting in a car though. And I can't hold my arms up that long. And I'd have to keep retying them every time I move. It's not like they can't stop taping the show to fix it when it falls off. Or that someone else can really tie it for them off camera.

Life is so complicated. :(

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I usually wear my gaiter - no ties at all, nothing around my ears (which I hate). When I leave the house, I already have it around my neck like a scarf and then when I need to use it for shopping I simply pull it up over my nose and leave the car.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
An anecdotal study in Switzerland indicates that face shields without masks are basically useless.

Health officials in the canton of Graübunden studying a recent outbreak among staff at a hotel found a worrying trend - all of those who were infected wore plastic face shields, while those who avoided infection wore face masks.

Several employees of the hotel tested positive along with a guest.

Rudolf Leuthold, head of the cantonal health department in Graübunden, said the face shields were the common denominator in infections.

“It has been shown that only those employees who had plastic visors were infected. There was not a single infection among employees with a mask.”

once_upon

I got Aubrey two masks, the Minnie Mouse on fits perfectly (toddler size 2-4). Daniel tiger one said it was extra small to, but is a little big.
I ordered a little mermaid one and an Anna one from the person who made Minnie mask.
She's three so they dont wear them at daycare, but son and dil want her to get used to wearing them

spinZZ

Do you just pull it over your head? How does it stay on? Anything I tied behind my head would just slide down. I have thin hair. And it would probably be more sweaty that way too.
If you don't want ear loop straps or tie straps, but do want straps that are adjustable and straps that make it easy to put on/take off the face mask, you should consider face masks with elastic straps and adjustable buckles. Here are examples of industrial grade respirators with such straps and buckles: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...1017+8711405+8720539+8720542+3294857497&rt=r3.

The straps are flat, ~1/2" wide. They don't bite into you the way narrow straps or cords do. One strap goes around the back of the top of your head; the other strap goes around the back of the top of your neck. Keeps the face mask from slipping. You can loosen the straps before you slip on the mask. Once you have it on, you tug on the ends of the straps to tighten them. Note: You can tighten the left and right ends independently; this is great to give a more comfortable, balanced feel, especially if you have asymmetries in your head. When you want to take off the mask, you loosen the straps first.

I had some old spray paint respirators with these straps and buckles. I removed the straps and buckles, drilled some holes in the buckles (for sew-on), and my wife sewed them onto cloth face masks. Works great. See if you know any home handymen or contractors with such old respirators lying around; and re-use the buckles and straps with a cloth mask. Alternatively, when my wife went to local fabric stores looking for elastic cords for ear loops, they were all wiped out (that appears to be the case in many places), but they had a large supply of ~1/2" wide elastic straps. The buckle is simply a small rectangle of semi-rigid sheet plastic (such as come with some ring binders) cut to form a spring loaded tab. So you can make your own buckles as well.

Last edited:

Susan1

If you don't want ear loop straps or tie straps, but do want straps that are adjustable and straps that make it easy to put on/take off the face mask, you should consider face masks with elastic straps and adjustable buckles. Here are examples of industrial grade respirators with such straps and buckles: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...1017+8711405+8720539+8720542+3294857497&rt=r3.

The straps are flat, ~1/2" wide. They don't bite into you the way narrow straps or cords do. One strap goes around the back of the top of your head; the other strap goes around the back of the top of your neck. Keeps the face mask from slipping. You can loosen the straps before you slip on the mask. Once you have it on, you tug on the ends of the straps to tighten them. Note: You can tighten the left and right ends independently; this is great to give a more comfortable, balanced feel, especially if you have asymmetries in your head. When you want to take off the mask, you loosen the straps first.

I had some old spray paint respirators with these straps and buckles. I removed the straps and buckles, drilled some holes in the buckles (for sew-on), and my wife sewed them onto cloth face masks. Works great. See if you know any home handymen or contractors with such old respirators lying around; and re-use the buckles and straps with a cloth mask. Alternatively, when my wife went to local fabric stores looking for elastic cords for ear loops, they were all wiped out (that appears to be the case in many places), but they had a large supply of ~1/2" wide elastic straps. The buckle is simply a small rectangle of semi-rigid sheet plastic (such as come with some ring binders) cut to form a spring loaded tab. So you can make your own buckles as well.
I DO want ear loops. I just want the kind of mask that dips down from the nose so that it is not under my eyes. I hae to look out of the bottom of my glasses to read things. No, I can't wear bifocals. I can't even go shopping for new frames because the humidity makes my face swell up.

Straps would not stay on my head. I do not sew. I do not know anyone who does. I do not know any home handymen. If I did I would have hired one to fix all the things wrong with my house. I don't know anyone. I can't do anything. I can't afford anything.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I usually wear my gaiter - no ties at all, nothing around my ears (which I hate). When I leave the house, I already have it around my neck like a scarf and then when I need to use it for shopping I simply pull it up over my nose and leave the car.
I like the idea (and look) of the gaiter scarf, but all the pulling up and down - how do you ensure that you're always getting the correct part facing out? Before I had a proper mask, I was tying a regular scarf around my face to go to the office, and I always untied it and laid it down in a particular way to make sure I put it on with the same placement.

A friend works at a restaurant near me, I saw him yesterday when going shopping (distanced, of course). He was wearing a paper mask, and said it gets so warm in the restaurant that he will just go through 3 masks a night rather than wear a heavy cloth mask. I get that - but it's another example where the environment is completely out the window now. :fragile: Also he kept touching his mask. :scream:

MsZem

A friend works at a restaurant near me, I saw him yesterday when going shopping (distanced, of course). He was wearing a paper mask, and said it gets so warm in the restaurant that he will just go through 3 masks a night rather than wear a heavy cloth mask. I get that - but it's another example where the environment is completely out the window now. :fragile: Also he kept touching his mask. :scream:
Obviously the focus is on vaccines and treatments, but better, more comfortable masks will save lives (and hopefully the environment too).

Susan1

mask news(ish) - I went to Kroger to get my straws and body wash with the coupons. I owed 41 cents. I gave her 50 cents. She couldn't figure out how to not give me change (which they don't have anyway), so she called somebody over. She had on a pink and black leopard print mask, which is what I liked from that rack. We got out of the way and I asked her if that is where she got it. It is. We were a grocery cart length apart and she took it off to show me from a distance. It already has a point for the nose cause there is a seam down the front. And adjustable ear things - which will probably drive me crazy with my glasses. She said you could pull either side tighter, which would help with my crooked face. I'll go back and get one this week sometime. They are white on the inside. (I was thinking how glad I am I don't wear makeup anymore. I already used to sweat putting it on.) She said it wasn't as hot as the disposable ones. I wrote down "snowshow" that was on the front, which only gives me back masks for snow. And the website - watchusinc - from the back, which it says is being updated at this time. They are in Cincinnati (which is where Kroger headquarters is). I couldn't read anything smaller on the package. She said they restock them all the time.

I like the idea (and look) of the gaiter scarf, but all the pulling up and down
That might be good in the winter. Now it would be too hot around my neck. I don't know how well that would work with glasses. I tried tying something just around my mouth cause the cold air hurt my teeth when I was using the snow blower the winter before last and my glasses fogged all the way up. I really couldn't see what I was doing.

Last edited:

spinZZ

I like the idea (and look) of the gaiter scarf, but all the pulling up and down - how do you ensure that you're always getting the correct part facing out? Before I had a proper mask, I was tying a regular scarf around my face to go to the office, and I always untied it and laid it down in a particular way to make sure I put it on with the same placement.

The primary function of a face mask is to reduce the amount of muck expelled by an infected wearer out into the open air or onto a surface. The primary function of a face mask is not to protect a healthy wearer from breathing in infected muck (that's what medical grade N95 respirators are for); although some studies indicate that some face masks can reduce the amount of infected muck inhaled by the wearer (i.e., it's better than nothing, but there's an awful lot of variability in consumer-grade face masks being sold and being home made).

mocha-ice

I’ve been making my own masks. I have a Cricut and they have patterns for different kinds and size of masks, so I printed off a template (don’t have the ability to cut it on my Cricut) and go from there. I was lucky enough to score 40m of elastic online from my local fabric store. I’ve made about 60 so far as a made a bunch for the local seniors clubs where I work part time and a handful for family and friends. Masks are now required indoors here so I’ll probably end up making a lot more soon. And the fabric store also had a big online sale yesterday so I got some cute prints (but the awesome Disney villains one was sold out 😭).

SkateSand

Cat Servant

The gaiters I have are white and black. They have a logo on them on one side. When I put one of the gaiters on, I make sure the logo is facing outward and on the back of my neck. There's no way to pull it up over my face the wrong way.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
The primary function of a face mask is to reduce the amount of muck expelled by an infected wearer out into the open air or onto a surface. The primary function of a face mask is not to protect a healthy wearer from breathing in infected muck (that's what medical grade N95 respirators are for); although some studies indicate that some face masks can reduce the amount of infected muck inhaled by the wearer (i.e., it's better than nothing, but there's an awful lot of variability in consumer-grade face masks being sold and being home made).
Yes, I understand all that. What does that have to do with my post?

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title

Prancer

Demonic Chihuahua
Staff member
Has anyone found masks with cloth or cloth-covered ear loops (instead of elastic)?

I purchased some masks from this eBay store and so far, they are the best masks yet. The fabric is very nice, eveything is sewn really well, and the loops are softer than elastic strips but still stretchy. They are pretty big and sometimes get a little too close to my eyes, but otherwise, my favorites to date.

After wearing one these masks for several hours yesterday, I found that a) they are pretty warm, as the top layer is pretty thick; b) the loops were very comfortable on me, but the masks are too small for my big-headed husband, whose ears were bent; he did say that the loops didn't hurt even so and c) the promised air pocket actually does seem to work, as I had a little bit of space and didn't end up with wet cloth touching my lips and nose all the time after I'd had the mask on for a while.

I still found them a little too high under my eyes for my liking (but it's a minor dislike) and my husband's glasses still fogged up initially.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information