Masks, Shields and other protection

hanca

Values her privacy
I like the ones where they put your own photo, whatever you send them, e.g. your pets.

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
To all the creative people who sell their masks on Etsy or elsewhere, I recommend Halloween masks child sized and adult for sale by end of August and Christmas masks, again for all sizes, by November (Thanksgiving doesn't necessarily lend itself to design). Festive New Year's ones might also sell nicely. They should be relatively inexpensive gifts, and sadly will be appropriate for months to come (I fear there may even be a market for Valentine's Day masks but let's hope I'm wrong).

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
There is so much information, variations and permutations of masks that it concerns me. I do fit testing of masks at work so have some understanding about good fit and what is effective, including disposables. We also practice good cleaning standards with our testing masks. Here are my guidelines for masks.

• Needs to have a good seal around the face. Around the bridge of the nose is a place where particles can enter. Ensure the mask clamps down over the bridge of the nose to provide a seal.
  • Guys with beards do not get an effective seal as any particles can penetrate around the edges of the mask.
  • A good mask will have layers of fabric which have a tight thread count, compact fibres and/or waterproof fabric. I saw a comment about lace. I would be cautious about these types.
  • Fabric does soak up moisture so once they become damp if you touch your face then you can still spread germs.
  • We clean with disinfectant and bleach. However do not ingest :)

Hope that helps.

once_upon

X-small ones are hard to find. My youngest granddaughter is a petite 3 year old. I found two (on esty) and they fit perfectly.

My oldest grandson and his half sister are huge star wars fan (she even has a star wars name)

Lorac

In the US, "visor" has several meanings depending on the context; often it refers to a cover over the eyes. Just want to confirm that "visor" in the UK means the same thing as "face shield" in the US. In the US, a face shield is fabricated from a transparent plastic. It attaches around the head via a headband. Top to bottom, it has a straight-line profile and extends from the top of the head (or a bit above) to below the chin. Side to side, it has a curved profile and extends ear to ear. This is common configuration, but there are many variants.

A face shield would be a poor choice for a massage therapist in particular: exactly the scenario that genevieve and million$momma are concerned about. The patient/client is lying/sitting down, and the massage therapist is bending over the patient/client in close proximity. If the massage therapist is wearing only a face shield (no face mask) and coughs/sneezes, contaminated air with fine particles of muck will be directed out the sides and bottom of the face shield onto the patient/client. Large particles of muck that spatter onto the front inside of the face shield can also drip down onto the patient/client. Yuck!

I hope there are more stringent requirements for dental hygienists in the UK. Can you imagine a patient lying back with his mouth wide open, and a dental hygienist leaning over him ....

Yep that's what is meant by a face shield here in the UK. Dentists wear much more PPE - medical grade masks and visors many with goggles attached.

I was referring to what we as massage therapists/hairdressers/nail technicians/ beauticians have been told is our mandatory requirements and they are just plain non medical face shields - no masks which I think is plain unsafe. Trouble is many that are reopening are just doing the minimum and nothing more and that worries me. We have been told no face treatments but that's it.

MsZem

I think face shields would be good for classroom teaching, assuming there is some distance between teachers and students - there is certainly value in students being able to see their teachers' faces. I'm considering getting one if we end up doing in-person teaching in the fall.

spinZZ

Yep that's what is meant by a face shield here in the UK. Dentists wear much more PPE - medical grade masks and visors many with goggles attached.

I was referring to what we as massage therapists/hairdressers/nail technicians/ beauticians have been told is our mandatory requirements and they are just plain non medical face shields - no masks which I think is plain unsafe. Trouble is many that are reopening are just doing the minimum and nothing more and that worries me. We have been told no face treatments but that's it.
Thanks for the clarification. In the US, I've seen TV news reports of re-opening protocols for nail technicians. For a manicure, the technician and the customer are seated on opposite sides of a table, with a vertical plexiglass partition, high enough to extend above their heads, separating them. The bottom of the partition has a cutout, through which the customer extends her hands. Under these circumstances, I can see the PPE requirements for the technician being relaxed (though it would still be safer for her to wear a face mask in addition to a face shield): if the customer's hands were to become contaminated with muck expelled by the technician, the hands could be washed or treated with hand sanitizer. I've not seen any reports of how pedicures are being performed.

But for services in which a partition is not feasible, and in which the service provider is in close proximity to the customer and is leaning over the customer, you're right about being concerned with the service provider wearing a face shield only, without a face mask.

antmanb

I commented about this elsewhere (maybe the reopening thread?). I read through the whole guidance for close contact services for Mr Antmanb going back to barbering. It is very clear from a line in the guidance that the government don't give a sh!t about actual safety in close contact services - the line said to leave medical grade masks for frontline workers....I read that to mean don't buy up all the medical grade masks so the NHS has none because the government is still woefully lacking in providing PPE to those who need it.

My sister is a reflexologist and her association sent emails out to everyone saying they didn't think face shields were the right protection and they've said medical grade masks for both you and your client is the only way they would advise reopening.

Lorac

I commented about this elsewhere (maybe the reopening thread?). I read through the whole guidance for close contact services for Mr Antmanb going back to barbering. It is very clear from a line in the guidance that the government don't give a sh!t about actual safety in close contact services - the line said to leave medical grade masks for frontline workers....I read that to mean don't buy up all the medical grade masks so the NHS has none because the government is still woefully lacking in providing PPE to those who need it.

My sister is a reflexologist and her association sent emails out to everyone saying they didn't think face shields were the right protection and they've said medical grade masks for both you and your client is the only way they would advise reopening.

Kudos to her association. Trouble is there are so many different massage/bodywork associations and they are all saying different things. Mine says visor and mask for therapists but not mandatory for the client - which I don't agree with either and when I go back I will ask my client to wear a mask as well. And most are saying non-medical masks as well!! I just despair :wall: :(

antmanb

Kudos to her association. Trouble is there are so many different massage/bodywork associations and they are all saying different things. Mine says visor and mask for therapists but not mandatory for the client - which I don't agree with either and when I go back I will ask my client to wear a mask as well. And most are saying non-medical masks as well!! I just despair :wall: :(

It has been a total nightmare for close contact services and the fact that guidelines didn't come out until the last minute shows that not much thought has gone into the drafting of it. Large parts of the guidance is just copy and pasted from earlier sections it's really just pointless.

And while there are some general things you can say about close contact services most things need to be thought about with a particular type of service in mind. My sister was annoyed that hairdressers and barbers, who are literally touching heads and faces to perform their services, but reflexologists were not allowed back despite them only dealing with clients feet.

Sylvia

Looking forward to U.S. club competition season
Karen Chen and her brother Jeffrey have started a campaign about wearing masks - link to their informational website:
https://www.instagram.com/wewearmaskscampaign/
Our goal is more than just encouraging others to speak up about wearing masks through our campaign, we want to SAVE lives. #WearMaskWhile

once_upon

Thanks for the clarification. In the US, I've seen TV news reports of re-opening protocols for nail technicians. For a manicure, the technician and the customer are seated on opposite sides of a table, with a vertical plexiglass partition, high enough to extend above their heads, separating them. The bottom of the partition has a cutout, through which the customer extends her hands. Under these circumstances, I can see the PPE requirements for the technician being relaxed (though it would still be safer for her to wear a face mask in addition to a face shield): if the customer's hands were to become contaminated with muck expelled by the technician, the hands could be washed or treated with hand sanitizer. I've not seen any reports of how pedicures are being performed.

But for services in which a partition is not feasible, and in which the service provider is in close proximity to the customer and is leaning over the customer, you're right about being concerned with the service provider wearing a face shield only, without a face mask.
I dont believe nail technicians have equal standards in the US. And for some reason pre *********, they would request you not use soap when rinsing your hands before applying gel or acrylics. In my experience toenails are never washed with with soap. I haven't been back to a nail salon since ********* and probably will not return.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think face shields would be good for classroom teaching, assuming there is some distance between teachers and students - there is certainly value in students being able to see their teachers' faces. I'm considering getting one if we end up doing in-person teaching in the fall.
We plan to use them in the classroom. We're more than 6 feet from the students. Our sonography instructor is making a plexiglass shield she can put on a wheeled cart so she can move around the classroom. Everybody is going to have to get creative.

SkateSand

Cat Servant

My husband is a substitute teacher, and depending on what happens with the schools here in the fall (current planning is for schools to be back for in person sessions as a lot of the students don't have access to internet, but with the recent spikes in California, we'll see...). If the schools are open here for in person teaching, he likes the idea of the face shields for teaching. We have some super cheap ones we got online as an experiment that we don't like, but if in person school comes to pass, he'll get one of the good ones with the truly clear plastic and that is anti-fog.

skatfan

X-small ones are hard to find. My youngest granddaughter is a petite 3 year old. I found two (on esty) and they fit perfectly.

My oldest grandson and his half sister are huge star wars fan (she even has a star wars name)

I made my great nephew a mask and he's two - can give size I made if needed.

once_upon

I made my great nephew a mask and he's two - can give size I made if needed.
I got 2 for the 3 year old, 7 for each of the older kids (not knowing if schools will require them). My sister is making them each additional masks.

The star wars one would have been perfect for my oldest grandson and his half sister because they are rabid star wars fans.

dinakt

My husband is a substitute teacher, and depending on what happens with the schools here in the fall (current planning is for schools to be back for in person sessions as a lot of the students don't have access to internet, but with the recent spikes in California, we'll see...). If the schools are open here for in person teaching, he likes the idea of the face shields for teaching. We have some super cheap ones we got online as an experiment that we don't like, but if in person school comes to pass, he'll get one of the good ones with the truly clear plastic and that is anti-fog.
Face shield will protect from the droplets, but not the aerosols- and there is ample evidence of aerosol accumulation in enclosed spaces. If your husband teaches in person, a good mask is even more important than a face shield. He might need both if he is in a classroom for over 30 minutes.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Staying at home
"Curved" masks - that's what I need to keep it out of my eyes. The top one looks like a bra cup though. :)

?? "Every mask helps provide relief" ??
I think something went wrong. That link only goes to the Macys.com page for me. This should work though:

spinZZ

"Curved" masks - that's what I need to keep it out of my eyes. The top one looks like a bra cup though. :)

?? "Every mask helps provide relief" ??
A couple of months ago, my wife started playing around with sewing masks for us. I joked, "Why don't we just cut up one of your old bras? We'll have two masks!" She didn't think that was very funny. Then, a while later, we saw a TV magazine program that had a segment on how 3M became a major manufacturer of N95 respirators. It turned out the respirators evolved from work they did for developing bras! Here's the interesting story: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/624703/sara-little-turnbull-who-designed-n95-mask-using-bra-cup.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
A couple of months ago, my wife started playing around with sewing masks for us. I joked, "Why don't we just cut up one of your old bras? We'll have two masks!" She didn't think that was very funny. Then, a while later, we saw a TV magazine program that had a segment on how 3M became a major manufacturer of N95 respirators. It turned out the respirators evolved from work they did for developing bras! Here's the interesting story: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/624703/sara-little-turnbull-who-designed-n95-mask-using-bra-cup.
I saw the Drunk History clip where they talked about the first bra. It was very funny.

Also 3M really do make the best respirators. We use a range of them at work. Excellent products. And their training tools are very good.

Susan1

Thanks. It was a Macys.com ad on the yahoo home page. I just attached what I clicked on. I wish I could find them in person somewhere - and cheaper. There are some bad reviews about size and the material. I see people on t.v. wearing "curved" masks - mostly black ones, which would be too hot.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Face shield will protect from the droplets, but not the aerosols- and there is ample evidence of aerosol accumulation in enclosed spaces. If your husband teaches in person, a good mask is even more important than a face shield. He might need both if he is in a classroom for over 30 minutes.
It will depend on the size of the classroom, the number of students and other issues. Each teacher/school/institution is going to have to determine what is the best combination for their particular situation.

Amy L

I was thinking about getting a face shield. My husband is legally deaf and relies mainly on lip reading to understand people. Going out in public with him with both of us wearing masks has been... something. I only know the alphabet in sign language so that gets rather time consuming. We don't go out that much, so maybe I could find something cheapish? I dunno, we're just trying to figure out how to make things work.

The hubs really griped and moped about wearing a mask himself. When the mandatory order came through for Texas, and we went to the grocery store for the first time both masked up he bitched the whole freaking time. Later on, we got him this funky balaclava. It worked like a charm, no complaints putting it on and wearing it all day when we ran errands this week. Because he's a 7 year old at heart, once he thought he was wearing a cool mask, it shut him the hell up. :lol:

spinZZ

I was thinking about getting a face shield. My husband is legally deaf and relies mainly on lip reading to understand people. Going out in public with him with both of us wearing masks has been... something. I only know the alphabet in sign language so that gets rather time consuming. We don't go out that much, so maybe I could find something cheapish? I dunno, we're just trying to figure out how to make things work.

The hubs really griped and moped about wearing a mask himself. When the mandatory order came through for Texas, and we went to the grocery store for the first time both masked up he bitched the whole freaking time. Later on, we got him this funky balaclava. It worked like a charm, no complaints putting it on and wearing it all day when we ran errands this week. Because he's a 7 year old at heart, once he thought he was wearing a cool mask, it shut him the hell up. :lol:
There are transparent face masks specifically designed to address the needs of deaf people who need to read the lips of the mask wearer. Just Google "transparent face mask" for options. This is probably a better option than face shields.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information