Masks, Shields and other protection

Yehudi

I speak the bull****
A thread where we can recommend cute masks, cool face shields, hand sanitizer that doesn’t smell like stale Budweiser, and other useful things as we all venture out.

My mom swears by Germ-X.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I'm not a fan of the face shields - I know there are some industries where it is better or maybe even necessary for workers to have them, but there is so much open space, don't droplets just go down and then right out? If I was face to face with someone wearing a face shield and shorter than them, I'd be convinced their droplets were basically being super concentrated toward my face.

MsZem

Fair trade masks are also available:

Oh, those look nice! But unfortunately they only ship to US/Canadian addresses.

I got a couple of masks from an Israeli retailer called Dreadlocks. They're not remotely medical grade, but they are comfy, and there's something to be said for that - it's easier to keep them on, and I fuss with them less because they don't itch.

million$momma

I'm not a fan of the face shields - I know there are some industries where it is better or maybe even necessary for workers to have them, but there is so much open space, don't droplets just go down and then right out? If I was face to face with someone wearing a face shield and shorter than them, I'd be convinced their droplets were basically being super concentrated toward my face.
I also worry about face shields. There is no seal on them. I was always of the understanding that they were good protection for your eyes but that they should be worn with a snug fitting mask.

MacMadame

Staying at home
The Animal Rescue Site is selling dog and cat-themed masks. They also have non-themed ones and disposable ones.

My friend Lorrie Kim's daughter (with her help) is making masks to raise money for PPE for healthcare workers. I like her masks. She has child sizes in some of them and you can pick between ties and elastic.

once_upon

Voter
This is the one I ordered for my 3 year old granddaughter from esty. I got a couple others that were kids x small, they are really hard to find.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
I bought both the red lace and the burgundy/blush crochet lace ones from here:

They arrived today, and they are so pretty! A bit on the expensive side, but I'm justifying it to myself because I've spent basically $0 on clothing since everything shut down.

The burgundy one is my favourite of the two - you can see the gold through the lace, so it has a bit of shimmer to it. It could almost be a skating costume! :lol:

If I go into the office at all in the next couple of months, I'm going to wear the red lace one with a kick-ass red blazer that I got the week before everything shut down, so I never had a chance to show it off. I'm going to look amazing. :glamor:

allezfred

#EpidemiologistsNotEconomists
Staff member
Another tip for those who wear glasses to prevent them fogging up - coat your lenses in with a tiny bit of washing up liquid. Have tried it myself and it works even better than the tissue across the bridge of your nose trick!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Oh am glad someone posted this thread as its something I've been wanting to ask. There are tons of masks being advertised out there. I want to know about particular masks people have purchased that they think are really good.

I got masks from LA Apparel and I'm relatively happy with them, they have elastic straps that go around your head rather than your ears so are easy to put on and keep on, but they could be a bit more comfortable especially in hot weather, the fabric is a bit heavy.

here https://losangelesapparel.net/products/3-pack-cotton-mask

I'm less concerned about look than feel. Especially as it will be hot and humid here for sometime.

MacMadame

Staying at home
This is the most comfortable mask I own:

(except mine is black and has the Zoot logo on it as it was a promotional item)

I biked in it and was fine. I'm planning to run it in too.

However, it's on the expensive side (most of the masks I buy are $10).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
This is the most comfortable mask I own:

(except mine is black and has the Zoot logo on it as it was a promotional item)

I biked in it and was fine. I'm planning to run it in too.

However, it's on the expensive side (most of the masks I buy are $10).
Oh that might be a good one for hot weather dog walks. Thanks!

once_upon

Voter
I have 5 new ones. 3 are boring black or grey and I dont remember ordering them. 2 are pretty. They all have an oder so need to be washed.

Rock2

Adidas makes amazing lightweight, breathable, keep-cool masks.

I got a 3 pack ($16 in US, $22 in Canada) two weeks ago and have been wearing them inside and outside - didn't sweat.

Ear loops not adjustable but don't pull your ears forward. Air does sneak out the top so your glasses still fog.

love skating

Clueless American
For masks on a budget - I bought a two pack of masks at Target today for $4. I figure I'm going to need a lot so it's handy to have extras around and you can't beat the price. They have a flexible nose piece and a filter pocket. I will use them as my backup masks. The store itself was pretty sparse but the mask rack was quite popular. I'm thinking that viral video of the crazy lady cursing and throwing all the masks on the floor gave Target some good free advertising! :lol:

spinZZ

I also worry about face shields. There is no seal on them. I was always of the understanding that they were good protection for your eyes but that they should be worn with a snug fitting mask.
Face shields are typically worn as secondary protection to protect the wearer from incoming contaminants or objects, not to protect others from outgoing muck expelled by the wearer. Face shields typically are not worn alone, but over other protective gear.

I've worn them in machine shops (protection from flying sparks and flying bits of metal) and in chem labs (protection from splashes of hazardous chemicals). In those instances, I've always worn goggles as primary protective gear to protect my eyes, and then a face shield over the goggles to protect the rest of my face. If chemical fumes are an issue, the worker also wears a respirator under the face shield, but I've personally never had to (I always handled chemicals in a fume hood, not in an open room).

Similarly, for medical workers, when they are fully suited up in the most demanding scenarios, they wear goggles to protect their eyes, an N95 respirator to protect themselves from breathing in muck expelled by others, a face mask to protect others from muck that they (the medical workers) might expel, and then a face shield over all that gear to protect their face from being splattered by muck (such as spit or blood).

In the absence of other gear, existing face shields will prevent the wearer from coughing or sneezing directly straight-on onto others, but will not do a great job at containing muck from leaking around the sides and bottom. With a redesign (more contoured fit all around to provide better containment), though, I personally think that would be a good option.

Existing face shields are also not good for skating or other athletics. A face shield is attached around the top of the wearer's head via a headband. In many designs, the face shield is also attached to the headband via pivot joints, so the wearer can flip the face shield up and down. For athletics, such a face shield would flop around. A redesign would be needed to get rid of the pivots, and also add a chin cup and chinstrap to hold the face shield firmly in place. The weight could also be reduced substantially for figure skaters, since high impact resistance is not a requirement (as long as there are no crazy hockey jocks shooting pucks on the ice at the same time.)

A partial face shield is already an option for hockey helmets. A redesigned face shield to contain muck expelled by the wearer would probably be a viable option for a hockey helmet.

Last edited:

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Face shields are typically worn as secondary protection to protect the wearer from incoming contaminants or objects, not to protect others from outgoing muck expelled by the wearer. Face shields typically are not worn alone, but over other protective gear.
That's what I figured. No one I've seen wearing a face shield has been wearing other gear. It's being seen as an alternative to wearing a mask. I give those folks a wide berth where possible.

Lorac

That's what I figured. No one I've seen wearing a face shield has been wearing other gear. It's being seen as an alternative to wearing a mask. I give those folks a wide berth where possible.
And yet the government here in the UK has said that a visor is the only PPE that a massage therapist or anyone else doing close contact work has to wear. No masks are mandatory for either you or your client though some of us have decided that masks will be mandatory when we choose to go back. This past Monday was the date here in England but I'm holding off at the moment as I'm just not comfortable as too many unknowns for my liking.

spinZZ

And yet the government here in the UK has said that a visor is the only PPE that a massage therapist or anyone else doing close contact work has to wear. No masks are mandatory for either you or your client though some of us have decided that masks will be mandatory when we choose to go back. This past Monday was the date here in England but I'm holding off at the moment as I'm just not comfortable as too many unknowns for my liking.
In the US, "visor" has several meanings depending on the context; often it refers to a cover over the eyes. Just want to confirm that "visor" in the UK means the same thing as "face shield" in the US. In the US, a face shield is fabricated from a transparent plastic. It attaches around the head via a headband. Top to bottom, it has a straight-line profile and extends from the top of the head (or a bit above) to below the chin. Side to side, it has a curved profile and extends ear to ear. This is common configuration, but there are many variants.

A face shield would be a poor choice for a massage therapist in particular: exactly the scenario that genevieve and million$momma are concerned about. The patient/client is lying/sitting down, and the massage therapist is bending over the patient/client in close proximity. If the massage therapist is wearing only a face shield (no face mask) and coughs/sneezes, contaminated air with fine particles of muck will be directed out the sides and bottom of the face shield onto the patient/client. Large particles of muck that spatter onto the front inside of the face shield can also drip down onto the patient/client. Yuck!

I hope there are more stringent requirements for dental hygienists in the UK. Can you imagine a patient lying back with his mouth wide open, and a dental hygienist leaning over him ....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information