Major life changes since c*vid?

Louis

Private citizen
There's a lot of talk about c*vid causing people to rethink what they want in life. Many people I know are talking about major changes to their lives, but so far I don't know too many people who have actually made changes.

Curious if anyone here has, and how they feel about it now that we're six months in? E.g.,
  • Has anyone sold or bought a new home because of c*vid? Moved because they needed a different / better / quieter space?
  • Moved to a different city or country?
  • Changed jobs or careers? Quit a job to stay home?
  • Dropped out of / paused or started school?
  • Gotten into or out of a relationship? (C*vid accelerated living together or caused a breakup?)

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
There's a lot of talk about c*vid causing people to rethink what they want in life. Many people I know are talking about major changes to their lives, but so far I don't know too many people who have actually made changes.

Curious if anyone here has, and how they feel about it now that we're six months in? E.g.,
  • Has anyone sold or bought a new home because of c*vid? Moved because they needed a different / better / quieter space?
  • Moved to a different city or country?
  • Changed jobs or careers? Quit a job to stay home?
  • Dropped out of / paused or started school?
  • Gotten into or out of a relationship? (C*vid accelerated living together or caused a breakup?)

Those are great questions and definitely an interesting topic.

I did none of the above, but I did clean out all my closets.

On the other hand, if Trump wins re-election I'll be changing my name, growing a mustache, and leaving the country so fast CV19 will be buried in the dust.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
My next door neighbor retired from her job at a nursing home at the height of NY's problems. She was close enough to retirement that she could afford to stop working, but it still was the triggering event to cause her to leave then. She said she just didn't feel safe and that her kids were really pushing for her to retire. Retirement seems to agree with her as I see her out taking leisurely walks for exercise every day

Miezekatze

No.

The ********* might influence what new car I buy next year, because if we stay in home office a lot permanently, I only need a small cheap car.

I think my main achievement was cleaning all my windows. :lol:

I don't really know anyone who's life has changed much, but I live in a rather rich area of Germany.

clairecloutier

Before all this, I was contemplating getting back to work full-time. Now that's probably not going to happen until regular school resumes. So I guess that is a non-change, due to CV19.

Lynn226

I've been wanting to make changes to my employment situation for awhile. ********* and work politics has caused me to once again look seriously at my options. I've restarted a side hustle I've done casually in the past. Some people do it full time.

My goal is to put myself in the best financial position possible. My field office is scheduled for an early 2023 closure. We've been promised nobody will lose their jobs because we'll simply transfer to another field site in the local commuting area. That option is not realistic. Plus, the person who made that promise has retired. ********* has placed additional financial stress on the agency where I work. Some of us in management are quite concerned.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I didn't quit a job to stay home. I fully intended to get another job - I just couldn't take my toxic supervisor for one more minute. But due to the timing of my quitting my job and the C V shutdown, I had a lot of time to think about my life and what I wanted. And I decided I was enjoying staying at home, puttering around in the yard, hanging out on the internet all day, etc. I'm in much better health now. I exercise more and eat less and my blood pressure is back to normal. And I took another look at my finances and decided if I were willing to be extremely frugal, I could stay home. So I am.

maatTheViking

We didn't fix our second care - something something needs 3k repair which may not fix it, and currently we have no need for an extra car. It's so much that we're not sure its worth throwing it at the car (or buying a new) and we're not sure when we will need a car.

other change is getting the kids actual remote Danish lessons - all school is remote so we just added that.

Starting our kitchen remodel again because we're home all the time to look at it.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I ended up deciding to delay a major life change because of the situation. There was another major life decision I was contemplating dependent upon the second. I'm hoping I'll be able to proceed by next summer though.

I am currently looking for a new place to live locally. It's sort of as a result of the delayed major life change above and something that was not.

One thing all of this has done has made me think a lot about the changes I want to make and things I want to do once it's over with.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
No one I know made any voluntary major life changes. I know people with money from NYC are doing so, but up here?

Having to take a break from activities was good, in that it allows reassessment. My kid decided to stop skating - which is fine; it was a long time coming. She's 16, and she's still going to teach the little ones, which she loves doing.

clairecloutier

Having to take a break from activities was good, in that it allows reassessment. My kid decided to stop skating - which is fine; it was a long time coming. She's 16, and she's still going to teach the little ones, which she loves doing.

Yup. This break gave us a chance to phase out a couple activities that our kids were doing with only half-hearted interest.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
It's more that YKW is preventing me from making the life changes that I was on track to do in the next year or so :blah:
All of my escape plans are things that are either much harder/riskier or just not possible currently. Trying to come up with a plan B but so far there's nothing that seems good enough to act on.

MacMadame

Staying at home
In some ways, my life has completely changed and in other ways, it hasn't changed at all.

In terms of work, I now WFH 5 days a week instead of 2-3. Because of that, I ended up making a little home office for myself. I like this and intend to WFH on a semi-permanent basis as long as I can. My husband and I get along and have enjoyed the extra time together and my pets like it too. I view this as a preview to retirement and it's looking good.

OTOH, at the beginning of 2020, I was planning to do an Ironman and was working out 5-6 days a week including swimming over a mile 2-3x a week, doing some running 1-2x a week, and riding my bike in the 30-40 mile range at least 1x a week. I was gearing up to do more running and biking when I got injured and had to stop working out at all. Then, a few days before work shutdown due to C19, I was given the go-ahead to go back to working out.

Except, one-by-one, all my group workouts got canceled. Also, I now am in one city and most of my previous workouts are in another, not very close to me. (But close to work.) I have struggled to find a new workout rhythm. (This has also been impacted by the wildfires and before that the extreme heat.) It doesn't help that all my races got canceled.

So I've gone from working out about 6-10 hours a week to working out about half an hour to 1.5 hours a week. I've been stress eating too. I've gained at least 10 pounds on top of the 10 pounds I gained from being injured.

I need to find workouts in my town or nearby and completely rebuild my schedule as races start back up. So far, I have struggled to do this but I'm hoping to work on it over the Fall and start 2021 fresh.

quartz

almost, but not quite
I no longer feel secure in my jobs - was pretty much planning on coasting along for the next 2-3 years or so into retirement. At least the husband’s job seems to be relatively secure, but I need to continue to earn my own money and not turn into a leech. :shuffle:

Eight years ago I made a promise to myself that I was going to face the world and not hide anymore, and now I have to wear a mask in public. :slinkaway

It may be years before I see my American family, its already been six years since I’ve seen several of them. :wuzrobbed

Dobre

My life is pretty much inverted for the year. I have three different forms of freelance employment. (We'll call them #1, #2, & #3). Since March, I have been working as much as possible at #3, the job I usually spend the least amount of time on. My typically most reliable form of employment, #1, is currently largely unreliable, less than safe, and not financially worth my isolating from my other employers. I also usually focus on #2, my personal passion, during the summer. Instead I've been working 5 days a week at #3 because it includes seasonal work. The thinking being that neither my traditional employment nor seasonal employment may be available this winter so best to earn as much income as possible before cold weather hits.

I would really love a vacation! (As traditionally speaking, I am months overdue for one). But I keep telling myself to take advantage of the chance to work now. I'm very grateful to have been able to work as many hours as I did this summer, since I had no expectations.

There are some negative consequences for not spending this fall focused on my regular #1 job, but I honestly don't think there is any way that I would find enough work this fall to count this year toward my retirement, for example. So there is no point banging my head against a wall there.

My motto since beginning to work freelance has always been, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." To take the work that is guaranteed & not worry about whether something better might become available. So at the moment, my work life is completely upended, but the motto has not changed.

Last edited:

concorde

I took a new job in April 2019 and that required a relocation.
Within a year, my family (husband and 2 kids) had relocated and were in a *********. We also got a puppy after relocation but before *********.

Due to the *********, we had two biggies:
  • Took the kids to Florida for 2 1/2 months for a change in scenery (had to set up a house there).
  • Decided to that my son needed a new school.
My industry is considered essential so I have been working from home through the whole thing.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I assume I will be moving in the next couple of months.
I got to work from abroad for a month and it was lovely. Would love to try a different country for a month or two. Um... where is it nice, cheap and not cold in Dec-Jan?

hanca

Values her privacy
I got to work from abroad for a month and it was lovely. Would love to try a different country for a month or two. Um... where is it nice, cheap and not cold in Dec-Jan?
Caribbean.

Habs

Now that we know our jobs are stable, Mr Habs and I are listing our house within the next week or so. Working from home (or as I call it, Living at Work) has showed us that we need more space, including office space.
I fully realize that we are incredibly fortunate to be able to take on a bigger house and a bigger mortgage during a time when so many people are struggling.

ETA: Mr. Habs and I also decided this was a good chance to focus on our own health, so we're working out at home and eating better. Since mid-March, I've lost 30 pounds and he's down 22. :cheer:

Last edited:

skateboy

For me, what HASN'T changed:

1. I did almost all of my work from home to begin with and, as a self-employed person, that hasn't changed. Business is just fine.

2. My eating habits remain the same (mostly low-carb diet).

3. I remain active on social media and keep up with family and friends via phone calls.

Here's what HAS changed for me:

1. Because I work at home so much (and live alone), getting out of the house and in-person socializing with others has always been important to me. Before CV, I set aside two nights a week for it, and now it is just gone. I miss laughing with others, hugging and -- yes -- sex.

2. No more going to the gym. I use to aim for four days a week, now that's gone. I do try to keep up with exercise at home, but it's not the same. And, even though I still eat low-carb, I gained about 12 pounds since March (and in the process of losing it).

3. No more celebrating holidays with family. Thanksgiving and Christmas are going to be solitary this year.

4. No international travel. I love to visit other countries, now that's gone.

kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
I'm in the camp where plans have been kaboshed, but at least half of my co-workers have moved and/or are planning to move in the near future -- ie, actively looking, weaning out belongings, buying, and selling -- to areas that are less expensive and with more space. And we can foresee a number of retirements and job changes coming up when we're asked to come back to the office, especially as the higher-paying tech companies are likely going to extend working from home and shrink their physical offices, and people are a lot happier without the commute.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I moved from my critical care nursing job to a job working with case management and safe discharges, because in CCU I was floating into the C19 ICU at least one out of every day that I worked. My sister would not let me close with my nieces or our parents unless I was out of the C19 area for 14 days, and that only happened 3 times in 6 months. I need my family more than my work in critical care. So now I'm doing a job I'm very not thrilled with, so I can spend more time with my family.

skategal

Bunny mama

Thailand.

And I just read that they are going to allow two 90 day extensions of their tourist visa when they open back up to tourists (should be soon.) So tourists will be able to stay for 270 days. :cheer2:

Prancer

Needs More Sleep
Staff member
I'm in the camp where plans have been kaboshed, but at least half of my co-workers have moved and/or are planning to move in the near future -- ie, actively looking, weaning out belongings, buying, and selling -- to areas that are less expensive and with more space.

I wonder how many people will come to regret this. I realize that it is annoying to impossible to WFH in some places, but there are reasons people live in cities. When this is more or less over, will they regret these moves?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Thailand.
I said `not cold', not `hot' :lol:
I doubt Thailand will let the israelis in taking the state of our country right now (and I fail to see how will it change in the near future. Taken there are 1.2M ultrareligious and only 200K Israelis had the ********* so far, assuming it's a once in a lifetime gig we are at least 1M short of being sure the spread is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information