Let Us Now Praise Mark Hanretty

Sasha'sSpins

♥2018 US Olympic Dream Team! Legends!♥
I have nothing but praise for Mark. And look, he has blessed us with this:

Love it! 🤩🤩🤩 I admit that I wasn't familiar with Mark. I thought he was a much older, seasoned commentator! What a treat to have him on US TV. And I LOVE his Scottish accent! 💖💖💖

Last edited:

Vagabond

I have watched just one or two videos with his commentary that were linked in the Worlds subforum. The only noteworthy thing he had to say was that a skater had put his hand down on the jump. So now praise from me, but I hope he's a great guy. 🤷‍♂️

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I wasn't sure what to think at first but I have really been enjoying his commentary this week. He doesn't talk over half the programs, he knows how the scoring system works, he points out the errors but never in a mean way, and he always tries to find something good to say about everyone. He's wonderful! :cheer:

And IMO, there's nothing better than a handsome man with a fabulous accent talking about figure skating and actually being knowledgeable about it....definitely helped me get through my long work days this week, LOL :D :swoon: :cheer:

MsZem

Mark's best pronunciation is Salchow, not Lutz :)

There is nothing worse than someone commenting on such a complicated sport when they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Talk about imposter syndrome.
That's pretty much the opposite of imposter syndrome.
There was a commentator for Star Sports (I don't know where that's even based from) ...
Star was a pan-Asian Murdoch network back in the day, based in Hong Kong. That's what I got to see (rarely) until I discovered Eurosport in the late 1990s.

miffy

Chris Howarth for Eurosport use to be my absolute favourite, excellent knowledge, I learned a lot from him as a child in the 90's but he doesn't follow as closely as Mark does anymore. Mark is definitely the best in the world now.
I always found Chris and Simon very entertaining and never really enjoyed the commentary if it wasn’t them, but it’s making me uncomfortable this week. They aren’t there together for once which may play a part, and Chris who is obviously more knowledgeable is hardly speaking up at all. Simon is also starting to call the jumps wrong and in a hugely uncomfortable moment got Allison and Cathy Reed mixed up when talking about Chris Reed, and Chris H had to correct him.
He also said that 6+7 would equal 2 spots. The worst was when he insisted twice that Trusova was virtually unbeatable last season and red hot favourite to win Worlds 2020. He seemed to be mixing her up with Kostornaia :( It’s quite sad.

Mark is one of the nicest and kindest people ever (as well as being a beautiful skater) so I am loving all the love for him here! :cheer: :cheer2:

If you haven’t seen him skate try to find videos of him solo skating :swoon:

skatingguy

Golden Team
Jason Brown, United States of America
Slaughter on Tenth Avenue

4S<
3A+2T
3A - tight, step out
3F - transitions in & out - ridiculous
Fly Ch Combo Spin 4
3F+2T
3Lo
3Lz+1e+3S
Ch Combo Spin 4
Step Sequence 4
Choreo Sequence
Ch Camel Spin 4 - knee slide transition into the spin - also ridiculous

abbi_1990

I always found Chris and Simon very entertaining and never really enjoyed the commentary if it wasn’t them, but it’s making me uncomfortable this week. They aren’t there together for once which may play a part, and Chris who is obviously more knowledgeable is hardly speaking up at all. Simon is also starting to call the jumps wrong and in a hugely uncomfortable moment got Allison and Cathy Reed mixed up when talking about Chris Reed, and Chris H had to correct him.
He also said that 6+7 would equal 2 spots. The worst was when he insisted twice that Trusova was virtually unbeatable last season and red hot favourite to win Worlds 2020. He seemed to be mixing her up with Kostornaia :( It’s quite sad.

Mark is one of the nicest and kindest people ever (as well as being a beautiful skater) so I am loving all the love for him here! :cheer: :cheer2:

If you haven’t seen him skate try to find videos of him solo skating :swoon:
I couldn’t agree more!

abbi_1990

Jason Brown, United States of America
Slaughter on Tenth Avenue

4S<
3A+2T
3A - tight, step out
3F - transitions in & out - ridiculous
Fly Ch Combo Spin 4
3F+2T
3Lo
3Lz+1e+3S
Ch Combo Spin 4
Step Sequence 4
Choreo Sequence
Ch Camel Spin 4 - knee slide transition into the spin - also ridiculous
Was this meant for this thread? Or the men’s FS one? Thank you for your excellent recaps, they’re great!

Frau Muller

Proud Puerto Rican-Russkaya!
Mark is doing a fine job, even though I prefer no comments (for the true I-am-there fantasy feeling). I’d give Ted Barton the edge, though, because Ted totally shuts up during the skating.

Both Mark & Ted are far preferable to the Johnny-Tara chattering divas on NBC/NBCSN.

Holy Headband

T/M's relationship counsellor
Mark is doing a fine job, even though I prefer no comments (for the true I-am-there fantasy feeling). I’d give Ted Barton the edge, though, because Ted totally shuts up during the skating.

Both Mark & Ted are far preferable to the Johnny-Tara chattering divas on NBC/NBCSN.
I love that Ted doesn't say anything during the performances, but as much as I like his relentless positivity, he can get a little fawning. Mark is more matter-of-fact and detail-oriented, which I appreciate, and doesn't defer to top skaters w/r/t messy jumps and so on. (But I like them both and am not trying to bash Ted or anything!)

Last edited:

Anemone

A new fan of Mark also. I turned into the main CBC network broadcast just now after the dance event ended (they are airing event highlights) and the Kurt Browning/Carol Lane commentary which drives me nuts at the best of times is just absolutely cringe-worthy in comparison to Hanretty.
The only other commentator I enjoy as much as Hanretty is PJ Kwong.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Best commentator yet! Hope he always does it as I don’t like the silence and no commentating during the performance I like a little and Mark was just perfect. The American commentators don’t shut up, the Canadian guy said nothing and pronounced names terribly and continually gushed about coaches and federations, but Mark was all about the skaters.

Kateri

void beast
I love that Ted doesn't say anything during the performances, but as much as I like his relentless positivity, he can get a little fawning. Mark is more matter-of-fact and detail-oriented, which I appreciate, and doesn't defer to top skaters w/r/t messy jumps and so on. (But I like them both and am not trying to bash Ted or anything!)
Would love to keep Ted for juniors and have Mark for seniors.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
One huge advantage Mark had over the US broadcast is the ISU sponsored him rather than a network with commercial sponsors or producers telling him to not have dead air. Sports broadcasters in the US are supposed to keep up a constant chatter. Ergo, the reason I watched the ISU feed on Peacock and not the NBC sports feed.

Doggygirl

Going through FS withdrawal after GPF
Honestly, I think we need to mount a Twitter campaign and tweet @ISU_Figure as much as possible and show our appreciation of of Hanretty, so that he gets an opportunity to do most of the ISU Championships. (I'd still throw Paul an occasional 4CC, just to mix it up tho).

He's easily the most well-informed, measured, and articulate commentator in recent memory (at least since Roz!).
Great idea. I sent ISU a tweet. Hope many more will follow your lead!

jlmart

In fairness to Ted Barton, I think most people do not realize that he isn't really an announcer - he is a Skate Canada executive and coach who is almost single handedly responsible for the broadcasting of the JGP and wound up announcing because he couldn't afford to hire someone else to do it. You would be amazed at what else he is wholly or partially responsible for.

https://edgesofglory.com/interviews/meet-ted-barton

In addition, a whiz at video production he developed an instant replay system for judging panels, which was adopted by the International Skating Union

sk8pics

I really like his commentary. He doesn't shriek, he knows how the points system works, and he's fair and supportive without being a brown-noser. And I love how he pronounces "lutz" :lol:
I was :rofl: over “lootz” too. I love it! And that he is not talking constantly. And he doesn’t talk about when he himself was skating! I did think at first that his microphone was a bit too close to his mouth, but then it seemed to get better.

I have a former coworker who is Scottish, and I was laughing about how his accent matches Mark’s.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
It’s so refreshing to have someone commentating who ACTUALLY knows ice dance!
This! I was watching the Rhythm Dance last night and it was so refreshing to have commentary from someone knowledgable about ice dance. The last dancer I heard commentating was Nicky Slater on Eurosport and all he did was whine about the 'new' judging system and talk about the ladies "frocks".

Also, having suffered commentary from Paul Alster on SBS Australia for the last 3 years Mark is just light years better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information