Let Us Now Praise Mark Hanretty

alchemy void

Slay Daša!
Honestly, I think we need to mount a Twitter campaign and tweet @ISU_Figure as much as possible and show our appreciation of of Hanretty, so that he gets an opportunity to do most of the ISU Championships. (I'd still throw Paul an occasional 4CC, just to mix it up tho).

He's easily the most well-informed, measured, and articulate commentator in recent memory (at least since Roz!).

Erin

Honestly, I think we need to mount a Twitter campaign and tweet @ISU_Figure as much as possible and show our appreciation of of Hanretty, so that he gets an opportunity to do most of the ISU Championships. (I'd still throw Paul an occasional 4CC, just to mix it up tho).

He's easily the most well-informed, measured, and articulate commentator in recent memory (at least since Roz!).

You had me until Roz :lol: I sure hope that is sarcasm!!

SLIVER

Paul should never ever be allowed to commentate on skating in his life. I am actually not joking. There are literally hundreds of ex skaters, or people in the sport that would love his job. There is nothing worse than someone commenting on such a complicated sport when they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Talk about imposter syndrome. Even Simon Reed who has been covering skating for 40 years now, hasn't kept up with the new rules and doesn't follow the sport that closely anymore and he's totally lost half the time. Major pet peeve of mine when you get Sue Barker and other sports broadcasters commenting on something they know nothing about. Paul was the worst because they get him to do it alone, with no one to help or correct!

tony

There was a commentator for Star Sports (I don't know where that's even based from) or something like that who was just the worst, has a grating voice, calling jumps camel spins and spirals spins, etc. Surely someone knows what I'm talking about, I have saved videos from FSVids where he is commentating and he literally names every single element wrong. @Braulio you have to know?

SLIVER

There was a commentator for Star Sports (I don't know where that's even based from) or something like that who was just the worst, has a grating voice, calling jumps camel spins and spirals spins, etc. Surely someone knows what I'm talking about, I have saved videos from FSVids where he is commentating and he literally names every single element wrong. @Braulio you have to know?
he was the BEST, it was pure comedy!! He would call the jumps with such confidence!

Hanna

Skating junkie
Every time I think Mark's brilliant, he says something that makes me think he's even more brilliant.

So much knowledge. He knows everything, remembers everything, and has just the right amount of excitement and support.

I'm just rewatching the ladies' 1st group that I missed earlier and he just mentioned Richaud and Kiibus FS choreography. Unreal. Mark, you own me. :swoon:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work

Star Sport I remember some videos I am almost sure it was the english feed fot the former Hong Kong China Star TV

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Every time I think Mark's brilliant, he says something that makes me think he's even more brilliant.

So much knowledge. He knows everything, remembers everything, and has just the right amount of excitement and support.

I'm just rewatching the ladies' 1st group that I missed earlier and he just mentioned Richaud and Kiibus FS choreography. Unreal. Mark, you own me. :swoon:
If you look at the white board in the Insta pic, he or his assistants did a lot of preparation.

Lizziebeth

I was annoyed at first but that is just because peacock has had no commentary so I was used to silence. I’m now a fan.
That is exactly how I felt. It was early a.m. and I was not totally awake and was so bummed that there was commentary. In about half an hour I decided I liked Mark. Love the Scottish accent and his amazing knowledge. He knows his audience also knows what is going on so he doesn't waste words on telling us the obvious. And, unless he was identifying an element he did not talk during the performances.

Aceon6

Isolating from mean people
Even more respect for him, then, for taking it seriously and not just winging it. I know that most, if not all, of the broadcasters do prep work, but from the quality of commentary I would say that some prep more....thoroughly than others.
Tanith also does a huge amount of prep, much to Charlie’s dismay at times. I’m looking forward to seeing her NBCSN segments.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Mark's commentary has been such a highlight. His soft burr fades into the background so I can totally ignore it if I want (which is never possible with any of the usual US commentators), but when I listen in he's always saying something worthwhile. He clearly wants all the skaters to do well, but is not blind to their weaknesses.

ETA: I agree with Barbara - I almost don't want to call attention to his commentary because if he were to get picked up by a big network, they'd make him fill time with more crap, or insert more of his own personality into his commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information