Kyrsten Sinema

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
She told Schumer first, and they have some sort of agreement it looks like so she can stay in the commitees she’s on. So I see no change, it will still be 51-49 Dems. Don’t think it’s as big a deal as some make it out to be. What would be good would be to convince Lisa Murkowski to flip Dem, or go independent.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
She told Schumer first, and they have some sort of agreement it looks like so she can stay in the commitees she’s on. So I see no change, it will still be 51-49 Dems. Don’t think it’s as big a deal as some make it out to be. What would be good would be to convince Lisa Murkowski to flip Dem, or go independent.
I thought Lisa M. Was already an independent who votes with the republicans?

ballettmaus

She has said nothing of the sort, and that link doesn't support your assertion.
I know it doesn't say anything about who she caucuses with. I read that separately, although, after re-reading, she said she won't caucus with Republicans and won't attend Democrat caucus meetings and doesn't know if her desk will remain on the Democrat side.

There was also this:
Not that she wants any part in figuring out exactly how many seats they control now that she’s out of the Democratic Party.

No idea if anything has changed in the meantime. 🤷‍♀️

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I’d rather have Manchin win the seat then lose to some MAGGOT which in WV is quite possible. I think Schumer knew what Sinema would do if Warnock won. I’m still furious about that winnable seat in Wisconsin.
He won't switch because as a D he can campaign on his not being a party follower and can still fundraise as a D in the state. As a R, he'd never make it out of the primary. This is the same reason Justice waited till he won the governorship first and then switched. Manchin isn't stupid...I think Sinema is toast in AZ and this is a money move. While Warnock's win was a factor, I'm betting Lake's loss was a bigger factor. With the state making this choice, she knows the writing is on the wall for her.

Last edited:

ballettmaus

He won't switch because as a D he can campaign on his not being a party follower and can still fundraise as a D in the state. As a R, he'd never make it out of the primary. This is the same reason Justice waited till he won the governorship first and then switched. Manchin isn't stupid...I think Sinema is toast in AZ and this is a money move. While Warnock's win was a factor, I'm betting Lake's loss was a bigger factor. With the state making this choice, she knows the writing is on the wall for her.
One of the Democrats said a while ago that as much as they disagree, Manchin is too much of a Democrat to switch. Don't know how true that is but if he does have principles then I don't think he'll switch parties, at least, not at the moment as he would have to subscribe to a cult or go down in flames.

I think that the media loves the speculation more than anything else. I don't even think they want him to switch or that they wanted Sinema to switch because it's a one-time story and then it's over with. But as long as they can speculate, they can write about something.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Sinema bothers me a lot more than Manchin. Manchin is exactly who he always purported to be. He is a democrat in a very red state and he has the same flavor as other red state democrats from 10+ years ago. His being elected and being a Democrat has been very helpful for seating justices and has allowed us to pass more legislation than we would have without him, but he's not a liberal and he has said that if you want to pass a liberal agenda, you'll have to elect more liberals. He's not wrong. Having Manchin is better than having a republican in that seat, but he won't turn into something he's not. I don't think he'd ever switch to being a Republican, especially not with what the party looks like now. He's not a liberal, but he's worked with Biden, especially on seating justices. He's just the last of what is something of a dying breed of Democrat.

Sinema has no particular moral compass and is really only here for the attention. Her decisions are completely erratic and 100% subject to who is paying the bills.

jenny12

Manchin and Sinema are two of the most aggressively bought politicians in DC which is saying a lot. I don’t know if I can say who’s worse but it is clear that neither of them are interested in serving anyone but their donors.

It is laughable for Sinema to call herself an Independent considering how owned she is.

clairecloutier

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ruben Gallego has made an aggressive start. Today his campaign got more donations than on any other day. If she runs as a Dem again, I will support Gallego or whoever runs against her. I said this last year when I saw how she was hurting her party, for her personal gains.

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Ruben Gallego has made an aggressive start. Today his campaign got more donations than on any other day. If she runs as a Dem again, I will support Gallego or whoever runs against her. I said this last year when I saw how she was hurting her party, for her personal gains.
Her days a democrat are over! She is not doing anything as a democrat ever again.
She is an official independent person.

She will run as a liberal independent who makes deals with liberals and conservatives and who gets bills passed.

olympic

https://twitter.com/reallyamerican1/status/1601352537084678144

Here she is criticizing Lieberman. Discussing Senate numbers. WOW. Hypocrite much?

I really don't understand why she would follow the path she is on. All she had to do was vote with other Democrats the past 2 years and she would have been safer than she is now. What caused this move to crazy town? I really think she is doing to be disruptive for some political end to a larger political force. Obviously a hunch. IDK

Vagabond

It is also about Money. She has big money donors including big pharma AFAIR. And she needs that corporate money if she is to launch a campaign as an independent.
Money and power. She has more power blocking progressive legislation than she would supporting it. :wall:

BittyBug

Disgusted
I read an interesting analysis that posits that this move is all about pressuring the Dems to not primary her. Had she remained a Dem, she would no doubt have been primaried and lost (her net favorability among Dems is -20 currently). Her net favorability among R's is -18, so she wouldn't fare any better switching to the Republican party. But by becoming an independent, she pressures the AZ Democratic party to not run anyone to oppose her because it would likely split the vote and increase the chances of the Republican candidate winning.

There is precedent for this in VT and ME with Sanders and King, and even in Alaska, where Dems didn't run anyone to give Murkowski, a moderate, a better chance.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I read an interesting analysis that posits that this move is all about pressuring the Dems to not primary her. Had she remained a Dem, she would no doubt have been primaried and lost (her net favorability among Dems is -20 currently). Her net favorability among R's is -18, so she wouldn't fare any better switching to the Republican party. But by becoming an independent, she pressures the AZ Democratic party to not run anyone to oppose her because it would likely split the vote and increase the chances of the Republican candidate winning.

There is precedent for this in VT and ME with Sanders and King, and even in Alaska, where Dems didn't run anyone to give Murkowski, a moderate, a better chance.
Possible, but I rather doubt she'd get the Dem vote. I think by next year when the campaigns begin, she'll either decide not to run or will switch back. Ruben Gallego is a much better candidate and I'm betting he runs against her. If he does, he'll win and win against any GOP candidate. He'll have pretty much all the NA vote.

clairecloutier

Possible, but I rather doubt she'd get the Dem vote. I think by next year when the campaigns begin, she'll either decide not to run or will switch back. Ruben Gallego is a much better candidate and I'm betting he runs against her. If he does, he'll win and win against any GOP candidate. He'll have pretty much all the NA vote.

I hope this happens. It's evident that Gallego has a strong personal dislike for Sinema, so I think he'll be inclined to run against her. But, he's also going to be looking at the realities of the situation and whether he can actually win against both her and a Republican. I hope he runs, though. I am very eager to support any decent Dem who runs against her. :D

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The NA vote in AZ has been even more repressed than the Black votes in the South. Many who live on one of the reservations do not have a mailing address as there aren't named roads. Mail is picked up at post offices or Chapter houses. Plus, they often have to drive a very long distance to vote and many don't have transportation. You have to go to the middle of the Big Navajo reservation to really appreciate the obstacles faced by the people (don't do this with an approaching sand storm. I speak from experience). But, a strong effort was made in 2020 to get out their vote. With the election of more and more NA to national office, I see this becoming a bigger voting block. It's not just AZ with this problem. SD, NM, Utah and parts of southern CO face the same issues. This is one of Gallego's passions.

caseyedwards

Usually democrats don’t run in Arizona as liberal as gallego. He is most known for being so liberal. Even Hobbs and Kelly ran on border control

Kelly decided to really stridently attack Biden on the border. Would gallego even consider doing that? It may have saved Kelly

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
https://twitter.com/reallyamerican1/status/1601352537084678144

Here she is criticizing Lieberman. Discussing Senate numbers. WOW. Hypocrite much?

I really don't understand why she would follow the path she is on. All she had to do was vote with other Democrats the past 2 years and she would have been safer than she is now. What caused this move to crazy town? I really think she is doing to be disruptive for some political end to a larger political force. Obviously a hunch. IDK
I am wondering if she really wants to get out of politics after 2024 and follow a different path? She has become very unpopular in Arizona. May be she wants to make money as a celebrity speaker,writer, etc. without the burden of working with other politicians, commitment to country, etc.?

She obviously craves for attention. Voting with other Democrats couldn't have given her that. Being controversial did. She doesn't care if it is disruptive to the party or harmful to the country. She really does not belong in a Senate. However, I could say that of many others, particularly on the other side of the aisle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information